• This topic is locked

Suggestions for 2014

#1 User is offline   cactusmomma 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 3528

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:17 AM

What do you, as an attendee or staffer, feel can be done to improve Anime Central for 2014 and beyond? Please keep your suggestions constructive and do not single people out.

#2 User is offline   vilpertti616 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 51121

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:06 PM

All I can suggest is that the Lola Hart's Burlesque show return. Everything about ACen '13 was great but that show was the cherry ontop of an awesome weekend.

#3 User is offline   TheLadyRaven 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 4134

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:14 PM

Bring back the Lola Hart's Burlesque Show! It was awesome!

I would love to see the Venture Brother's staff come back again. I think it was last year, but Dean showed up and he was great and filled a huge room!

A bigger gaming room with more arcade games would be great too! Also, maybe put the tournaments on the projector again? I like being able to see the tournaments rather than standing around a tiny TV.

For the 18+ panels, it seemed many were hard to get into this year. Maybe if they could be allowed a bigger room for all the attendees who wish to see it?

#4 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 18292

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:20 PM

I know everyone is already sick of hearing it but move the hardcore back to the smaller ballroom and Anime Hell to main programming.
Also, the sooner guests are announced the better :x?
I have a Bookface I have a Bird Sound my snark level is over 9000 : ]
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Compa- hyperdimension nep nep
Heather- Silent hill 3
Poison Ivy- Batman

#5 User is offline   Green Dragon 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 7168

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:11 PM

View Postlinlindesu, on 19 May 2013 - 10:20 PM, said:

I know everyone is already sick of hearing it but move the hardcore back to the smaller ballroom and Anime Hell to main programming.
Also, the sooner guests are announced the better :x?

I second both emotions.
Anime Central Cosplay History

* ACen '04, '05, '06: Nicholas D. Wolfwood - ACen '07: Gendo Ikari / Bryan Fury
* ACen '08: Gendo Ikari / Capt. Aizen Sousuke - ACen '09: Gendo Ikari / Daisuke Jigen
* ACen '11: Tom Baker, Fourth Doctor - ACen '12: Fourth Doctor / Capt. Aizen Sousuke
* ACen '13: Capt. Kyouraku Shunsui - ACen '14: Kiba (Wolf's Rain) / Ninth Doctor

#6 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:07 AM

Maybe some better line management on the DES lobby. It was thoroughly confusing on Sunday afternoon.

#7 User is offline   ShadowPriestess 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 27965

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:21 AM

all of my friends and i didnt have smart phones so we didnt know when or where the autograph signings were. we had to ask around to find out where Brad Swaile would be. please put the autograph signings in the pamphlet next year!!
VILLAINS NEED HUGS TOO!

#8 User is offline   Level-5 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 62879

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:41 AM

-autographs, gatherings, and other information in pamphlets?

-More notice on guests?

#9 User is offline   Dragonsbane117 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 29790

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:04 AM

Personally I would like to see much better line management, some more lead time on panel and guest announcements. As well the biggest problem I had this year was the fact there were so many people. Line management would help but at some points I wonder if ACen hasn't outgrown the venue. The amount of people even with management is crazy for some events. Maybe they could look at other venues or places for panels, such as more in the Hilton, or using the Hilton ballrooms., or limit attendance ( lets say 15,000 online passes with 5,000 will call passes etc... Or even allow passes only for the vendor hall, or take a page from Comicon and allow guaranteed seating for panels for preregistration) the convention keeps growing and it cant stay how it is forever, I would just like to see it change preemptively before there is a really bad year. As well maybe it was some issue with the rooms assigned to some panels (eva panel had a tiny room) but I had a good time.

This post has been edited by Dragonsbane117: 20 May 2013 - 10:18 AM

#10 User is offline   Samperson 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 62722

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:18 AM

I enjoyed this year, but I have a suggestion that makes a lot of sense. Why not move the soap bubble to friday and hardcore synergy to saturday? It would give the great japanese DJs a much larger crowd, and it would allow people who like synergy and don't go to the bubble to go to Anime Hell/Midnight Madness. Please consider trying this next year.

#11 User is offline   Wingypoo 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 62448

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:32 AM

View PostLevel-5, on 20 May 2013 - 09:41 AM, said:

-autographs, gatherings, and other information in pamphlets?

-More notice on guests?

^ all of this. As far as autographs and guests are concerned i had no idea where the signings were. A friend of mine was trying to find out where they were and no signage and no change in the guidebook so we weren't sure what was going on. My other friend who was with us, the one who actually had the guidebook, checked it and saw that it was still saying the signatures were at the convention center. I figured they were just moved to another building, like the hyatt or something :/

More notice on guests. Yes. I know there were some issues this year but my goodness. Right to the wire. Pretty sad to see that there was an extra sheet that needed to be printed out last minute that had all the autograph signing times on it. At least we had that much though.
Hope is comforting. It allows us to accept fate, no matter how tragic it might be. ~ Yunalesca FFX

#12 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:13 PM

A few suggestions.

Hot topic issues: Cosplay/=consent, for example, please give longer time to and larger rooms, or see if the panelist can discuss this as a two parter allowing for more people to see and discuss this topic.

Safe zones =Given the fact that there has been harrassment of others in the past, as well as some fighting and such, maybe IRT can look into creating designated "safe zone" areas that are located in the hotels, and convention center. If soemone is having a problem with another con goer, or is being harrassed, or was groped or robbed (I haven't heard of this yet but...) these zones could be used as a safe place to go to for help. Not everyone knows where the main office is, and in the venders area it's not always easy to find IRT or during the raves at night. They are there but there's a large crowd so can be tricky to get help when you need it. The zones can have people staff them during shifts, and should be people that can be intimidating to deture a fight.

(Quck example of this: Two girls I saw were having an argument, I remember one was wearing black the other red. Anyway the girl in red kept yelling at the girl in black to leave her alone and kept trying to get away from the girl in black and the one in black kept shouting and following her. I wonder if a zone like that would deter others from following the person they're attacking?)
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#13 User is offline   Ashikana 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 5452

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:28 PM

Panel programming descriptions
Could they be in some better order next year in the programming book?
ACen 2013
Nami:: One Piece
Lucy: Fairy Tail
Gaige:: Borderlands 2

#14 User is offline   Mykaios 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 62599

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:07 PM

It was our first time at ACen and we came from Pittsburgh, PA so we weren't familiar with the area. It would be really helpful to future first-timers if you guys had a coordinating map of restaurants to go with the list as well as their distance from the convention center and whether or not they deliver. Perhaps you guys could also talk with the local places that do deliver and see if their delivery menus could be added to the registration bags too!

This post has been edited by Mykaios: 20 May 2013 - 07:52 PM

Visit and like my cosplay page :)

#15 User is offline   youth 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 22

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:18 PM

Food trucks. Likely will have to be setup non officially. Dunno if Rosemont or the con center/hotels can stop them since I saw that ice cream truck parked there. It's become a popular staple at AX & I know Chicago has been doing things to make them more common here too.

This post has been edited by youth: 20 May 2013 - 07:19 PM

g'day
youth

#16 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:30 PM

View PostMykaios, on 20 May 2013 - 07:07 PM, said:

It was our first time at ACen and we came from Pittsburgh, PA so we weren't familiar with the area. It would be really helpful to future first-timers if you guys had a coordinating map of restaurants to go with the list as well as their distance from the convention center and whether or not they deliver. Perhaps you guys could also talk with the local places that do deliver and see if their delivery menus could be added to the registration bags too!

Last year and the year before we were given a list of restaurants and their numbers for delivery. I'm not sure why they didn't do it this time around. Also, not sure if it was ACen or the Hyatt that provided this info. I just remember it being in the room when we checked in on Thursday.
Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#17 User is offline   Mykaios 

• Pip

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:55 PM

View PostJujuFox, on 20 May 2013 - 07:30 PM, said:

Last year and the year before we were given a list of restaurants and their numbers for delivery. I'm not sure why they didn't do it this time around. Also, not sure if it was ACen or the Hyatt that provided this info. I just remember it being in the room when we checked in on Thursday.

I ended up calling down to the front desk on Friday for a pizza place after 12am. We also walked all the way to Denny's Thursday night since we didn't know where else to go. We walked twice as far to a pub Friday evening to watch the hockey game. We weren't aware of the business food court-y area until Sunday :c So we know what to do for next year. i also want to take a cab to Mitsuwa!

#18 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:15 PM

View PostMykaios, on 20 May 2013 - 07:55 PM, said:

I ended up calling down to the front desk on Friday for a pizza place after 12am. We also walked all the way to Denny's Thursday night since we didn't know where else to go. We walked twice as far to a pub Friday evening to watch the hockey game. We weren't aware of the business food court-y area until Sunday :c So we know what to do for next year. i also want to take a cab to Mitsuwa!

Wow Denny's is faaaaar! We live in the West 'Burbs, so we are very familiar with the whole area, but we didn't remember or feel like looking up the Chinese places that will deliver to the hotel. The MB Financial park is barely a year old. Last year only like two or three of the restaurants were open for business. So don't feel bad about not knowing about it. I'm sure half the people there didn't know either.

We also made the mistake of going to the Red Bar on Saturday night. It was like they were understaffed or something. The host had no idea how long the wait was going to be, and it ended up being over an hour. The food was slow and overcooked for mine. I wish we had gone back out to MB park that night and saved ourselves the trouble.
Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#19 User is offline   Phalio 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 26873

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:23 PM

View PostAshikana, on 20 May 2013 - 03:28 PM, said:

Panel programming descriptions
Could they be in some better order next year in the programming book?

^ This. The arrangement made absolutely no sense.

#20 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:41 PM

View Postyouth, on 20 May 2013 - 07:18 PM, said:

Food trucks. Likely will have to be setup non officially. Dunno if Rosemont or the con center/hotels can stop them since I saw that ice cream truck parked there. It's become a popular staple at AX & I know Chicago has been doing things to make them more common here too.

Rosemont has a lunch truck during the week. Maybe that could be used during the weekend at ACen?
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#21 User is offline   Kasumisty 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 2097

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:15 AM

Better/bigger signage for event space, so people know what events are in the rooms. Also signage for the photoshoot gathering areas. Maybe some directional signs could be useful too for some of the events that are in out of the way areas. A lot of people were asking my friends and I where things were and we don't even work there.

View Postyouth, on 20 May 2013 - 07:18 PM, said:

Most likely the con center/hotels do not want food trucks there (same as they don't want people selling food inside). I'm not sure what if any rules Rosemont has on food trucks but I bet the trucks would be interested in coming around if they knew about the event.

This post has been edited by Kasumisty: 21 May 2013 - 11:20 AM

#22 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:57 PM

MB Financial Park is a decent place to grab some food and not very far at all. Also, many of the hotels have their own (pricey) food options. About the only thing I wish was generally close to the area was some Asian food. Almost everything else is a call/decent walk away.

The trucks could try but I'm willing to bet they aren't allowing it near the convention space. I imagine the ice cream truck may have been doing what it could before being told to vamoose. Was it there all three days? I think I only saw it once.

This post has been edited by rondo: 21 May 2013 - 03:00 PM

#23 User is offline   jenchan 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 30

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:06 PM

I would like to see single day badges sold in advance for pre reg or on Thursday evening. Many other conventions do this.

Jenn
President of Japanese Anime People of Chicago, a local, independent Chicagoland anime club.
website- MyAnimeList - Tumblr
Probably the oldest member of the ST☆RISH fanclub.
Prince of Tennis ACen Cosplay Group Network on FACEBOOK

#24 User is offline   Mykaios 

• Pip

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:57 AM

View Postjenchan, on 23 May 2013 - 01:06 PM, said:

I would like to see single day badges sold in advance for pre reg or on Thursday evening. Many other conventions do this.

Actually, not many conventions sell day badges anymore :/ At least the ones I go to...

#25 User is offline   jenchan 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 30

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:19 AM

View PostMykaios, on 24 May 2013 - 01:57 AM, said:

Actually, not many conventions sell day badges anymore :/ At least the ones I go to...

C2E2, Wizard World (Chicago Comic Con) sell one day badges in advance. I know Anime Midwest and Anime Expo are selling single day as well.
Jenn
President of Japanese Anime People of Chicago, a local, independent Chicagoland anime club.
website- MyAnimeList - Tumblr
Probably the oldest member of the ST☆RISH fanclub.
Prince of Tennis ACen Cosplay Group Network on FACEBOOK

#26 User is offline   llyrical 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 63781

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:10 AM

-The Panel Programming needs to be available online a lot earlier. Last year, they had it up 2-3 months before the con, and this year, it was only really available when the digital booklet went out. I know that you could have found a rough Programming schedule somewhere, but it was super hard to find and very few people knew about it and so they lacked the ability to plan what they would do until they actually got to the con.

-Certain panels I went to (Zombie Survival 101, for example) were super crowded, and when people asked why they didn't get a bigger room, they said that they'd been trying to for years. I think a "seniority" thing needs to go into affect- panelists who have been running a panel for several years should get first pick of rooms, because they actually know what to expect for a turnout.

-Line control. This goes for a lot of things. For some reason, there was constantly a REALLY LONG line to get into the Artist Alley. I thought this was weird, because there wasn't really one last year; you just merged and walked in. Maybe more security to view badges? Also, for the more popular panels (which... was a lot), people would start getting in line an hour early, and that line would build up quickly. That led to security screaming at people for causing fire hazards and how they should be hugging the wall- and that makes me feel like they weren't that well-prepared. Maybe work out a place for lines to wind around so that they won't be safety violations?

-And I know this has already been said, but the description of the panels in the booklet. They were not in any order whatsoever. Not alphabetical, or even chronological. It took FOREVER to find the description of the panel I was looking for.

That's all I have.

#27 User is offline   cactusmomma 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 3528

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:13 PM

If the smoking area remains where it was, can it please be contained to around the container by the tree near the far railing/the employee entrance on the side? It was really inconsiderate for the people trying to get through to the entrance or trying to have their gatherings at the wall having to wade through the smoke in the area. There were kids and folks with health issues present, not to mention the people who used the grassy areas as ashtrays and left their butts there.

#28 User is offline   kopf1988 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 12164

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:14 PM

View Postjenchan, on 24 May 2013 - 06:19 AM, said:

C2E2, Wizard World (Chicago Comic Con) sell one day badges in advance. I know Anime Midwest and Anime Expo are selling single day as well.

Anime Midwest might not sell single day badges in advance forever... single day badges don't support the convention the same way weekend badges do.
I manage the list of Anime Conventions on UpcomingCons.com
Conventions Attending: ACen, Ohayocon, NebrasKon, Anime-zing! 2012, and Anime Midwest Chicago and Anime-ZAP! in Peoria, Illinois.

#29 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 60452

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:53 AM

1. (And my Biggest One) This is an unrealistic one but is there anyway to talk to Hyatt if they can drop the "one car per room policy"? Really hindered my experience (would explain why I can't car pool but I typed it enough in complaint thread lol.) That or have Donald E. Stephens open their lot across the Hyatt even if they charge a little extra. If this is out of your control, disregard.

2. Guests: Its not my reason for the con but seeing how some of these smaller cons can get some real big names, I think ACen needs to shoot for a goal to acquire some big names. I'm not saying everyone in the industry, but some names like Steve Blum or Crispin Glover would show that ACen is the top dog.

3. I missed the Burlesque show and have heard nothing but positive, so if you brought it back, I'd likely attend. :)/>/>

4. Capping events quicker. I had this problem with Speed Dating and others had this with other panels. If the panel is filled and you can't permit anymore people, I understand, first come first serve, however, maybe there should be a head count early on so people don't wait 30 minutes to an hour only for the start (or many cases 10 minutes after event is supposed to start) that you can't get into whatever event. It decreases hallway clutter and it allows people to move on and find other things to do and not be mad they waited long.

5. I don't think it will happen, but I'll always suggest: an 18 or 21+ event similar to Soap Bubble/Hardcore Synergy.

6. I'll second the one day badges online. I know friends who can only go one day and would love to, but don't want to have to deal with the horrendous lines. Other cons are doing it, I don't see why ACen can't.

This post has been edited by STVO: 04 June 2013 - 05:56 AM

STVO: Facebook ACen Regular, 2013 Hellfire Challenge Champ!
Visit my Site STVO Universe
Fan on Facebook, Follow on Twitter, Subscribe on YouTube
Tentative ACen 2014 Cosplays Plans:
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#30 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 18292

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:43 AM

View PostSTVO, on 04 June 2013 - 05:53 AM, said:

5. I don't think it will happen, but I'll always suggest: an 18 or 21+ event similar to Soap Bubble/Hardcore Synergy.

It did actually , back 3-4 years ago.
I'm not positive how it worked out. I heard not that many attended but I could be wrong. I have not heard about it since then. I'll either post it again or edit this when I find the thread.
Found the Thread : http://www.ACen.org/...ty/page__st__90

This post has been edited by linlindesu: 04 June 2013 - 08:02 AM

I have a Bookface I have a Bird Sound my snark level is over 9000 : ]
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Compa- hyperdimension nep nep
Heather- Silent hill 3
Poison Ivy- Batman

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic