2013 Gripes

#91 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:52 PM

View PostKungPowKirby, on 20 May 2013 - 12:52 PM, said:

First - where the exhibit space was located was terrible for people having to walk to the convention center. I understand that somebody else had the space until Saturday- so this year there was nothing that could done, however in the future please try to avoid it. I have been informed by staff that next year we have our normal hall booked, which I am so happy hear. However, one major concern comes from something I have heard from that same staff member.... that they will make the exporia entrance an exist only. I rely on this entrance as it is the shortest route to the convention center. I only went to the dealers hall twice this year because of the long walk around the center/through the tunnels. I saw many a person with crutches, walkers, etc struggling as well. When somebody has trouble walking they need to take the shortest route to their destination. This weekend started off great with IRT and ADA compliance. I was allowed to enter where I needed to for the various entrances and exists and people were really kind. HOWEVER then came Saturday evening and it all changed. I had just existed the masquerade - and was in the - bottle neck of people. I almost got shoved off my feet several times by people pushing to get into the rave and various other events. Once I got off the escalator I got and a o the lmost fell down right in front of it. I approached the IRT personal blocking people from entering where the exist was with my disabilities pass so that I could get through the influx of people safely not have to go around and push through the long line for elevators. This IRT member proceeded to tell me he didnt care that I was a person with disabilities it was his job and that I had to have a note from a higher level personnel - whos call sign i am not stating on purpose. (Higher level personnel is aware of the name- I am expecting them to deal with this person. I had several complaints about them- and was already planning on filing a separate complaint) was in tears- in pain due to getting shoved around and stomped on. - He said to go ahead and make a complaint - that nobody would do anything. I do not remember this specific persons call sign- but I can tell you he was wearing a kilt. I then was so upset that I went to search out somebody in charge. I finally recieved some help after getting pushed around some more by an EMRT person. The were going to try to get the IRT DH (Mikah???) however she was not available- they instead called her husband. I'm afraid I do not remember his call sign either. --- he listened to my concerns and assured me he would fix them. He got me to the elevator safely and quickly. However the whole experience absolutely drained me and I did not have the energy to doI much of anything last night. This morning I go to the dealers hall- and the line to enter is insane and I'm afraid if I went anywhere near it I would have ended up on the ground. Therefore I went to the safest route- to the exist which was clear of people for the most part. I showed my disabilities pass to an IRT member with the call sign VOXX- he said he would not allow me to pass- and that I had to wait in line at the entrance. At this point I was so tired and sore I could hardly move. He said to go ahead and make complaint- that I again I needed a note from somebody in IRT. Another man came up and allowed me to enter. Excuse me if I am wrong,, but that is what the disabilities pass is for. What is the use if IRT can decide not to honor it? I hope to have a definite answer way in advance about what we can and can not do with that pass. If I am stopped from enjoying the convention because I can not access areas I will seriously consider not attending.

Just letting you know that our ADA Compliance DH did see your post; she's away from her computer right now but wants to at least let you know she's aware. And yep, our IRT DH is indeed named Mika, and her ADH/husband is Thanatos. My own husband James, who is an ADH in Exhibit Space and the one you spoke to about the issue, came directly to our con center dispatch to alert them that our people on the EH entrance were giving you trouble.

View PostRowan, on 20 May 2013 - 08:07 PM, said:

I want to know why you are using emergency contact numbers to call people and get them to do surveys. I am messaging to complain about that since people are using parents and their home numbers as emergency contacts ONLY. And when you use that information, parents answer and have no idea WHY they are getting phone calls on THEIR phone that is not for them. I want to know why you are abusing that information we HAVE to give out and using it for things OTHER than its sole and only purpose.

If I could get a Moderator to answer this or direct me to someone who CAN answer, I will be grateful. I am feeling very aggravated that ACen is taking advantage of that information that we have to give out, even though the registration paper you fill out says "optional".

I am pinging one of our higher ups on this now.
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#92 User is offline   darkleafar 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 63479

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:13 PM

View PostStkbayfield, on 20 May 2013 - 12:28 AM, said:

Welcome in from Texas. I hope the con was enjoyable despite the gripes.

For future reference the event you call cosplay is "The Masquerade" and is one of the biggest events of the convention. Usually you need to devote about 4-5 hours to queuing and watching it on Saturday evening though the work that goes in to it and the contest is well worth the spectacle. I hope you can try it out sometime.

I would contact Hyatt right away with any complaints. They are a very understanding company from my interactions with them and as you were at a world class business hotel they will be very eager to keep your business, so you'll have no problems addressing their customer service and receiving an understanding ear. I've had many problems with that Hyatt in my years but EVERY time they went above and beyond to make it right in the end.

The food issue is just one of the sad truths of the convention. The convention takes place in a convention centre on the edge of O'Hare airport and therefore jacked up prices are the king. Hyatt has been better this year with its free wi-fi and access to microwaves but really... the best bets are just walking up or down River Road to the McDonalds, Subway, Denny's, Giodanno's and such... Everyone learns this their first year and just kind of adjusts for the future.

Thank you for the input. However, you just broke my heart. This whole time I thought the masquerade was some sort of formal dance. OMFG I am so pissed at myself I unknowingly skipped the best event in the whole con!! I flew from Houston to Chicago and I missed it! T_T I feel so freaking retarded. I literally spent an hour looking through the program trying to figure out if there was/or why they was not a major Cosplay event. And it looks like I was not smart enough to realize the Masquarade was it. This will forever haunt me in my dreams T_T

#93 User is offline   Wafflashizzles 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 62412

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:43 PM

View PostKungPowKirby, on 20 May 2013 - 04:53 PM, said:

I'm not sure who you are, as your not labeled staff. However your assumption about lines and ada complience is wrong. Those with a disabilites pass do get to skip lines. If you are indeed irt staff, as your post seems to suggest, I want to know who told you that we are supposed to wait in lines as I would like to address that issue with management.

Amazon may have had issues, however the way she went about controlling the crowd was wrong. People had been waiting in the area 3+ hours, not 30 minutes. also, the way the policy has been discribed in the past, they are supposed to ask people to leave if they are loitering around line areas. She did not.

also, I am not a "bro". Thanks.

Sorry for any misconceptions I made.

I wasn't running lines or even on shift during those big events. My bad about that, should've clarified.
Perhaps I was also wrong about those with special needs and lines. I know they received priorities in elevators and were generally given slightly more leniency in terms of lines and things like that. Whatever the issue was this year though, they take note of every comment and suggestion and it will be dealt with next year for sure.

And sorry for calling you a bro. Have a good night now. :3

#94 User is offline   Hoshigumo 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 61317

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:19 PM

Overall had a great 2013 ACen experience (even with our car needing a new alternator installed all-day Saturday!) and I thank all the staff for their hard work, and volunteers who run panels and shoots.

The one major gripe I have is that, for whatever reason, the SMT/Persona midnight shoot Saturday night was not held in the dome as usual.

There must have been about 100 of us gathered in the Hyatt and expecting business as usual. We were instead told that we had to gather in a room across the hotel, attached to one of the ballrooms. It was small, basically an entryway, with several doors on either side to control flow of traffic between the main hotel lobby and the ballroom proper. Our quick-thinking unofficial leader talked staff into letting us at least open the doors on either side to get air flowing and organized a water brigade to get everyone hydrated, but we were basically stuck for an hour while we waited for staff to get a key from the hotel to let us into a different side room. We were told that we were not allowed to shoot outside (I'm not sure of names involved, or reasoning behind it), and that this side room was going to have to do, unless staff decided otherwise.

This other room was supposed to be big enough to accommodate all of us. Turns out, the room in question was even smaller than the area we were in previously.

After about an hour and a half of shuffling back and forth between these two side rooms, being told we'd have to be called into the second room in shifts for photographers to shoot, our leader was told by staff that we could shoot outside--at the loading docks--if we'd prefer.

We were all relieved to no longer be breaking fire code and finally being able to breathe. But shortly after we'd begun shooting, the automatic timer for light shutoff at the loading docks went off, and we were in the dark.

I understand that mistakes and last-minute changes to plans happen, and in the end we were able to get a few photos in, but the whole ordeal was trying and seemed silly. Why could we not just relocate to the loading docks right off the bat rather than wait for hotel staff to get a key? Or even con staff to get the OK to use the ballroom area when it was apparent there were far too many of us to fit in the other side room?

As I understand it, we'll be trying to schedule our shoot at the loading docks for next year, to avoid being shut out of the dome area again.
ACen Cosplay 2014:
Celty Sturluson
Ren Kougyoku
Naoto Shirogane (detective ver.)

#95 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 18090

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:43 PM

My biggest gripe is about the Guide Book (printed version)

I found it very hard to find specific things in the book especially when it came to panels. The description page seemed to be thrown together and was in no order whatsoever, so if I wanted to see what a panel was about based solely off of the name, I had to search EVERY page for it. I also noticed that a lot of things were missing - mainly the autograph sessions. It makes it hard to plan when I can't see when they are (and having to run to customer service was helpful but a little out of the way). I would really have liked the book laid out better.

Also - the Exhibit hall map was REALLY confusing. I even asked an ACen staff guy to help me find a booth based off of the number and he had a hard time finding it on the map. Course then the booth turned out to be in a COMPLETELY different section and I found it just by wandering around for some time.

Finally - I was really really upset with the kalafina overflow autograph signing. Apparently it started a full half hour early so since I got there about 2:45 I was too late and had to stand in the general admissions line. I got there at that time because I expected to be in the express line.....I had other plans and I was not going to miss them ESPECIALLY after getting my badge marked from Friday when I was waiting in line for 2 hours.

I was also peeved that they ran out of CDs but I suppose that is not ACen's fault so I don't count that.

Now that I've griped, some solutions?

GUIDEBOOK:
In earlier ACen's EVERY event used to be on the panel programming schedule. It made it easier to find how things overlapped so I didn't make plans to go to something before another ended. I would really like that to come back. Also - please organize the panel descriptions in some way. Alphabetical, by day, by time I don't care. Organization makes things awesome.

MAPS:
While it may be hard to put a YOU ARE HERE sign in the program book, is it possible to put signs like that around the hall so that people have an idea if they are on the right track or not? The signs that pointed out which booths were in the aisles was a nice new addition but sometimes confusing since some booths ended up with numbers from two groups (500 and 600). a YOU ARE HERE sign would help people find their way. And to make sure they don't take up space on the already crowded floor, they can hang on the curtains, like the dealers signs already do, or maybe from the ceiling.

AUTOGRAPH FAIL:
Basically, I feel that this kind of thing could be fixed with some kind of announcement system since the main issue was that I was not AWARE it started early. Seriously, I get it. The band was tired and a line had most likely already been formed for some time. But making an announcement would have been nice. I noticed a PA system in use in the con center - something could be announced over that "such and such has been moved up/back/to this room/cancelled". You could also use the ACen social networking to get info out. or maybe even the guidebook app or some kind of text alert system. Basically, something to let congoers know what is going on when it is going on - mainly in the event of changes.

Finally, with that said, I do want to say a HUGE thanks to IRT and ACen for the elevators in the Hyatt! No breakdowns, easy flowing up and down and no bumrushing! It. was. perfect! Especially come Sunday when people have all their stuff....I loved it so much I never once dreaded taking the elevators and never had to wait more than 2 minutes for a ride up to my floor. Thank you thank you thank you for implementing this and PLEASE do NOT get rid of it! We need this, the Hyatt needs this, ACen needs this!
A-Cen 2014 Cosplay (links are of me): Angewomon (Digimon) / Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) / Hikaru (Angelic Layer) /
CURRENTLY SELLING ANIME/MANGA/WALLSCROLLS! PM FOR MORE INFORMATION!
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2013: Pocahontas //// Raven (Teen Titans TV Series)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2009:Diva(Final Battle) //// Sailor Pluto //// Edward Elric
The Official "Forum Kitten", A Rini Fangirl, TekoMuto fan

#96 User is offline   KnitChick 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9629

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:04 AM

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 20 May 2013 - 05:27 PM, said:

Would it be too much to ask for the hyatt to have stickers issued for people renting the hotel rooms and allowing only those that were staying at the hotel to park there? Or have someone go around the parking garage and ticket or move the cars that are not handicapped from their impropper spaces, because the fact that there was no spaces at all for those that were disabled is really unacceptable. My dad was thinking of driving home, even though he paid the money to park in the lot.

I'm so sorry to hear you were having trouble!! I will definitely look into what can be done for the future. I'm also upset to hear there were non-handicapped cars in handicapped spots, that is unacceptable. I never got near the parking lot myself, but in the future if you notice that please tell me. I seriously HATE when people think they can park in handicap spots when they are not in need of them.

View PostreptoJane, on 20 May 2013 - 09:48 PM, said:

•The Craft Room: not sure why they changed the name from Children's room.... fun crafts, although it was *mighty* crowded in there. Little people need a place to relax and have some relative quiet. They also can't handle subtitles, so having that video programming set up is key. Something to think about: a quiet corner for mother's who need to nurse. It's impossible to do that in the bathrooms at ACen.

We do have quiet rooms at both Special Needs locations, in the Grand Boardroom of the Hyatt and over with Registration in the convention center. One of the big reasons we had those added is for nursing mothers, because we know it is difficult to do so in the bathrooms.
Special Needs and Compliance DH for Acen! Come see us in the Hyatt Grand Boardroom!!
Acen 2014: 50s Sailor Mercury, Agent Simmons from S.H.I.E.L.D., Kim Possible, Ghostbuster, frazzled DH
Youmacon 2014: (tentative) Captain Marvelous, Agent Simmons?, Ace from Doctor Who?
Chicago TARDIS 2014: (tentative) Fourth Doctor, Ace

Member of Team GEEK for the Norridge/Harwood Heights Relay for Life! Please join us or donate!
Ninja on the Glomp Team! Member of the Crossplay Alliance! / My blog / My pictures! (Flickr)
Resident Ghostbusters, Doctor Who, Firefly, Quantum Leap, Transformers, Harry Potter, Highlander, Girl Genius, Super Sentai and Nerima Daikon Brothers obsessor!

#97 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:20 AM

View PostKnitChick, on 21 May 2013 - 12:04 AM, said:

I'm so sorry to hear you were having trouble!! I will definitely look into what can be done for the future. I'm also upset to hear there were non-handicapped cars in handicapped spots, that is unacceptable. I never got near the parking lot myself, but in the future if you notice that please tell me. I seriously HATE when people think they can park in handicap spots when they are not in need of them.

Will do, and thank you for that. I wasn't sure as to whom to notify since I figured that the parking was more connected to the hotel then ACen itself. I was just really suprised to see so many cars in there, and no need to feel sorry, it's not your fault. I just didn't figure on so many cars being there.

A question though, for possibly next year, what would be the best time to stop by your office near the info desk? Could one do it on Thursday night? Reason being if I manage to get my mom to attend for a day, given her foot issues, I'd like to be able to have it on hand for her on the day she goes and comes with us. Or does she have to check in with you herself?

Thanks again for all the info, and it annoys me to no end when I see it done too. I guess they figured, "Hey open space no one's gonna care" or something. *sighs*
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#98 User is offline   KnitChick 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:04 AM

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 21 May 2013 - 12:20 AM, said:

A question though, for possibly next year, what would be the best time to stop by your office near the info desk? Could one do it on Thursday night? Reason being if I manage to get my mom to attend for a day, given her foot issues, I'd like to be able to have it on hand for her on the day she goes and comes with us. Or does she have to check in with you herself?

We prefer people to check in with us themselves, so we can place the pass right into their badge. We do have a location in registration as well, if she's doing a one-day reg, where she can get her badge and pass at the same time. But our office is open, officially 4pm to 10pm on Thursday, though sometimes we're set up a little earlier. :)

And yeah, unfortunately the parking fills up fast. My friends and I have learned to just park and stay (not that we really get a chance to even entertain the notion of leaving!) But handicap spots should be saved for the people who need them.
Special Needs and Compliance DH for Acen! Come see us in the Hyatt Grand Boardroom!!
Acen 2014: 50s Sailor Mercury, Agent Simmons from S.H.I.E.L.D., Kim Possible, Ghostbuster, frazzled DH
Youmacon 2014: (tentative) Captain Marvelous, Agent Simmons?, Ace from Doctor Who?

Member of Team GEEK for the Norridge/Harwood Heights Relay for Life! Please join us or donate!
Ninja on the Glomp Team! Member of the Crossplay Alliance! / My blog / My pictures! (Flickr)
Resident Ghostbusters, Doctor Who, Firefly, Quantum Leap, Transformers, Harry Potter, Highlander, Girl Genius, Super Sentai and Nerima Daikon Brothers obsessor!

#99 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 56275

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:50 AM

I already posted in the compliments thread and my first two complaints basically tie in with that, but figured I should post here too.

1. Signins. In the Friday Kalafina signing, photos were not allowed. As much as I would have loved to snap their picture, I'm sure this moved the line MUCH quicker and allowed more people to see them briefly. (And this is coming from the girl who was first in line and was definitely getting her stuff signed no matter what) I waited for Brad Swaile on Friday and they had told us right off the bat that there were about 80 people in line and he should easily get through everyone. I believe this started at 5. We were about halfway through the line, so around 40. We didn't get our stuff signed until about 6:15 or so. The hall closes at 6:30, so not many people behind us got their stuff signed I'm sure. That was ridiculous. I understand people want to chat with their favorite VAs and take pictures, but this holds up the line and prevents others from meeting them. I think the rule should be you can only chat quickly while they're signing, and if you allow pictures, just a picture of the VA themselves, not yourself with them cause that eats up time. And trust me, I love snapping pictures with VAs and have a huge collection of them myself, but at a big con like ACen there just isn't the time to chat and take pics while others wait and never meet them. Want more one on one time? Go to a smaller con.

2. East Outdoor Wall photoshoot area. On Saturday night the Uta no Prince Sama phootshoot was to take place at the East Outdoor Wall. My issue with this place is that it's a smoking zone. By the time we got there, the place was littered with people smoking and cigarettes and other trash everywhere. I told the people on the grassy area there where photoshoots happen that they needed to move. Half did, the other half gave me a "yeah right, who do you think you are?" look. So I warned them if they didn't move I was calling IRT. Still didn't move. Went inside, grabbed the first two IRT I could find, brought them outside. They managed to clear the grassy area, even though they couldn't really force the smokers out the area completely. I didn't catch their badge names, but THANK YOU so much to those two <3 Without you, we were kind of at a loss for what to do. The smokers were still rude and kept trying to sit back in the grass after that, but I yelled at them and they moved (3 times -_-/>/>/>). For next year, is it possible to like, move the smoking area further away from that grassy patch there? Or have 1 IRT stationed there to make sure photoshoots there have no issues with the smokers and that the grassy area is kept clean of cigarette butts and other trash?

3. Kalafina concert. when we arrived at the concert to pick up our tickets, we were told only 1 was ordered (we had 1 person order all 3 tickets). The lady there was giving us a really hard time and wasn't going to give us our tickets. Needless to say, that was very upsetting. Thankfully, some guy came along and gave us our three 3 tickets all together actually in a better spot than we originally were. So thankfully it all worked out in the end. I know this isn't really on you guys, but just wanted to mention it in case there's anything that can be done to prevent something like this in the future. I'd hate to think this might have happened to anyone else and what we would have done if that nice man hadn't come along!

4. Guests. Yeah, I realize we got Kalafina, which was pretty awesome. But most people didn't even know who they were. Same for Yuu Asakawa. We only had like 2 big American VAs, and some tiny guests that not much of anyone cared about. Gotta admit, it was interesting to spend more of my ACen walking around the Dealer HallArtist Alley than waiting in line for autographs, but one of ACen's main draws for me is always the guests. More and quicker announcements next year please? (But I do thank El Ken for managing what he did!)

EDIT: Been reading some gripes on ACen being too small and needing to move...I have to say I'm completely against this, at least for moving to the McCormick center. I went to C2E2 last year and it was RIDICULOUS. The traffic was terrible in the city, and they charged 20 something for parking instead of the 13 we pay at Rosemont (Main reasons I didn't go this year). I live only 30 minutes from either Chicago or Rosemont (though it takes an extra 30 minutes to get anywhere in Chicago...especially if you can't show up til a bit later in the day) so I'm not wasting money on a hotel room. PLEASE keep it in Rosemont, or at the very least out of the city. I hate the city and its traffic and crazy parking prices, and I'm sure I'm not alone. The hotels have to cost more for those coming from further away as well. And I think someone mentioned there couldn't be any night panels if we use McCormick? That'd be a huge downers, since a lot of people on here are complaining the night 18+ rooms are too small, imagine the complaints if they didn't exist.

This post has been edited by Washu Takahashi: 21 May 2013 - 08:27 AM

ACen 2014 Schedule
Friday: Meloetta [Pokemon]
Saturday: Umi Ryuuzaki [Magic Knight Rayearth]
Sunday: Sytry Cartwright Demon Attire [Devils and Realist]

Add me on Facebook! Washu Takashi Cosplay

#100 User is offline   CodenameRaven 

• Guest Assistants Staff
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 59333

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:54 AM

View PostSTVO, on 20 May 2013 - 08:53 AM, said:

I apologize if this has been brought up, but another complaint was the decrease of space in Donald E. Stephens. Why wasn't it used as much this year? I was very confused to see such empty space. Lol.

You're probably right that they should consider moving locations, just not sure where. I hear McCormick Center would cost them a fortune which they couldn't afford and if they did that you would have to bid farewell to overnight panels such as 18+ and Soap Bubble (or move to a bar or something.) See C2E2, I love that convention but the lack of night life activities there bothers me. :\ If anyone has suggestions where to move ACen, they should pitch them on the boards. I love their current location but I am agreeing ACen has outgrown the area for most part.

I am a little late to reading the forum, however while ACen is almost Otakon sized and the extra space would be nice there simply aren't any hotels really in the area of the McCormick Center. Hopefully that will change soon and it might become an option.

#101 User is offline   TheOsakaKoneko 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 21009

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:15 AM

I don't have any major gripes this year! Good on ya' ACen!

I do wish Con Centers A-C had been much better advertised/located on the map. Having it not labeled on any of the maps people received was inexcusable - really it's just kinda dumb that no one noticed prior to printing/prior to con. I know we lost a lot of attendance for the fashion show Friday night due to this (we still did have a great attendance though - yay!). I really did feel badly for people who wanted to be there and couldn't find it though. I spent most of Friday trying to spread the word where it was. ;)

The movement of the dealer's room, I'm guessing, was due to the normal location being under construction, but that was very inconvenient and really did make it impossible to get anywhere (without being able to cut through the con center - and do some shopping on the way!). For safety purposes alone, it's important we have that space to lessen the numbers of people walking on the overcrowded sidewalks (and therefore spilling out into traffic).

While I didn't personally notice this as I am very careful to always bring my own hydration everywhere (I always have to have water or liquid on me!), if it's true that water jugs were not as prevalent as previous years, that's pretty unacceptable. Free drinking water through all the hallways is a savior at ACen and cons in general, and ACen's always been really good about this. I hope it wasn't a problem...or I hope it won't be in the future.

Reading through all the above gripes, the ones that stood out to me time and again were those related to equality issues. I'm glad to see ACen staff has seemed to be quite diligent in replying to those, but it's really something that must be handled with grace and care in real time. If you have staff who are close-minded, they need to not be staff. Persons with disabilities need to have the access they need, and there's no excuse for a single IRT person to not know this. Persons who are transgender need to be treated with respect like everyone else. And if a panelist is running a panel on same-sex attractions in anime/manga that are NOT graphic, it's unacceptable that they are treated as 18+ unless a similar panel about romantic issues between heterosexual couples would be. If the panel is about 18+ anime, that's one thing, but otherwise, it's in pretty poor taste, ACen. I am not personally knowledgeable about any of the shows/panels/etc that were in question, but simply going by the information given by panelists above. If they're being honest that the panels did not include 18+ content, there's really no excuse for treating them as 18+ panels.

As for size, I think ACen's location is ideal, and do not wish to see it moved to McCormick. However, is there no way to thoroughly book the ENTIRE hotel space and con center space the whole time? Not only do we need the space, but I would be pretty unhappy if I booked the space there for unrelated purposes only to realize that my wedding is held at an anime con. Why doesn't the convention center/hotel management realize this?

#102 User is offline   isbichan 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 63620

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:42 AM

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 20 May 2013 - 05:27 PM, said:

Okay one small gripe here, and I'm not sure why this was done, but I'll put it out.

Friday my family and I came in to park at the Hyatt, we have a disable plate because my father does have a bad back but more for my mother, who has artritus in her ankle and has a hard time walking, and my grandmother who has a bad back and is very old (93 years and counting), however we were not able to park in a handicapped spot due to people taking that space. In the day time I'm not sure how many of those had plates or plaquards, but we wound up on the 6th floor. Fine okay, we can deal with that, though it took us more time to get our stuff to the elevator, mind you we got in at 11 am, managed to get a room (kudos to the lovely people at the desk).

However things got vexing Friday night. I know we paid 34 dollars to park at the hotel, we left for dinner around seven thirty. When we got back roughly at 8:30 from dinner we discovered that the lot was full, and probably not with guests of the hyatt. Apparently, according to what I heard, the hotel was charaging 34 dollars for anyone to park in the lot to pay for the water damages it dealt with? Is this true? Then there was the issue of non handicapped people parking in handicapped spaces, we were lucky enough that the attendent for valet let us park in the valet space, after my father was driving around for an hour looking for a space. I know there is space across the way at the DESCC, and also by the CTA line, and Free parking at a garage farther out, but, if we're going to pay 300 or more dollars to stay at a hotel I do expect to have parking space.

Would it be too much to ask for the hyatt to have stickers issued for people renting the hotel rooms and allowing only those that were staying at the hotel to park there? Or have someone go around the parking garage and ticket or move the cars that are not handicapped from their impropper spaces, because the fact that there was no spaces at all for those that were disabled is really unacceptable. My dad was thinking of driving home, even though he paid the money to park in the lot.

THIS! It happens every year. Hyatt is supposed to call the police. The police are supposed to ticket those cars. I've even seen cars with Hyatt employee parking stickers parked in these spaces. Hyatt just allows it to happen.

#103 User is offline   LC Asuka 

• Main Events ADH
  • Pip
  • Group: Forum Staff
  • Member No.: 17129

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:47 AM

View PostCrimsonAnime, on 20 May 2013 - 11:43 PM, said:

MAPS: While it may be hard to put a YOU ARE HERE sign in the program book, is it possible to put signs like that around the hall so that people have an idea if they are on the right track or not? The signs that pointed out which booths were in the aisles was a nice new addition but sometimes confusing since some booths ended up with numbers from two groups (500 and 600). a YOU ARE HERE sign would help people find their way.

I'd almost say that these 'You are here' icons would work perfectly throughout the convention, not just in the Exhibit Hall. I know how map-challenged I can be...a little blip that helps me get my bearings is a godsend.
Main Programming Assistant Manager ~ 2014
Main Programming Staff
~ 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
2014 Cosplay ~ Third Doctor, Magishine/Solaris Knight
I've reversed the polarity of the neutron flow.

#104 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:48 AM

After being at the McCormick the past Tuesday, it just doesn't seem as fun a place to be compared to the Donald E. It is also a little more scary to walk around at during the nighttime.

#105 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 60452

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:02 AM

View Postrondo, on 21 May 2013 - 09:48 AM, said:

After being at the McCormick the past Tuesday, it just doesn't seem as fun a place to be compared to the Donald E. It is also a little more scary to walk around at during the nighttime.

I love the size but yeah you do make a good point about the night time. Also as mentioned earlier, you would have to say good bye to late night events such as raves or Anime Hell or they would have to be moved to further venues. ACen can't afford what Reedpop can (and I'm not trying to be mean towards ACen) and heck Reedpop doesn't even use the whole venue for C2E2!
STVO: Facebook ACen Regular, 2013 Hellfire Challenge Champ!
Visit my Site STVO Universe
Fan on Facebook, Follow on Twitter, Subscribe on YouTube
Tentative ACen 2014 Cosplays Plans:
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#106 User is offline   davebb 

• EMRT
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11282

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:08 AM

View Postrondo, on 21 May 2013 - 09:48 AM, said:

Personally I rather work with the Rosemont EMS and Rosemont PD than work with Chicago EMS and Chicago PD. No offense against Chicago, just have a very good standing relationship and understanding with Rosemont and how the operations within the department and their cooperation with IRT and EMRT would be.
Medic 6 : ACen 2014 EMRT ConCenter Supervisor (serving since 2008)
Dave Bukowski -- NREMT-B
EMT-B / EMA
"ask not what ACen can do for you--ask what you can do for ACen"

#107 User is offline   Rowan 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 20228

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:23 AM

View PostValkyrie, on 20 May 2013 - 09:52 PM, said:

Just letting you know that our ADA Compliance DH did see your post; she's away from her computer right now but wants to at least let you know she's aware. And yep, our IRT DH is indeed named Mika, and her ADH/husband is Thanatos. My own husband James, who is an ADH in Exhibit Space and the one you spoke to about the issue, came directly to our con center dispatch to alert them that our people on the EH entrance were giving you trouble.

I am pinging one of our higher ups on this now.

Thank you, and I would like a higher up to respond to me personally. I have given davebb my email and name, but I can also give it to you if need be so they can contact me. I would very much like someone to tell me why this happened.

#108 User is offline   Alysia 

• MAPS Director
  • PipPip
  • Group: MAPS Board
  • Member No.: 237

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:31 AM

View PostRowan, on 20 May 2013 - 08:56 PM, said:

I did not get the name of the person, it was my boyfriend who received the call. The caller ID says "Aspen Media" and I have the phone number. Now I am suspecting that ACen has given PERSONAL INFORMATION out to a public survey company. Which frustrates me even more and makes me feel more violated.

We do not give out our attendee's personal information to outside entities.
Is there a particular reason you are thinking it was us?
I'd like to get to the bottom of this as soon as possible. AFAIK, we've never had this come up.

#109 User is offline   Cmdr_Crimson 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 56794

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:33 AM

Please please do not have the Seller's hall in Hall F! It's small enough as it is...HALL A Is the better choice..Why was it being used as a friggin restaurant when everyone goes to the Expoteria for food and that's one heck of a hike if your in full cosplay...Please put it back to HALL A where it was..
ACen 2014
Mickey Mouse Theme Park Outfit

#110 User is offline   Rowan 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:39 AM

View PostAlysia, on 21 May 2013 - 10:31 AM, said:

We do not give out our attendee's personal information to outside entities.
Is there a particular reason you are thinking it was us?
I'd like to get to the bottom of this as soon as possible. AFAIK, we've never had this come up.

I know you don't, or shouldn't which is why I am confused and frustrated about this. The reason I believe it is ACen is because ACen was the only place that he has put down his parents landline in more than five(more specifically seven plus) years, and it is a little too coincidental that he gets a call on his parents landline when he just gave that information on Friday, May 17th, to ACen.

This post has been edited by Rowan: 21 May 2013 - 10:42 AM

#111 User is offline   Alysia 

• MAPS Director
  • PipPip

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:54 AM

Noted.
I will reiterate that we do not sell or distribute that data, I would have been one of the parties reviewing/signing that contract.

It's pretty unlikely that it came through us-we were busy running the convention, and there's no real avenue for that data to have been released during con.

It is also possible that that line may have fallen off the do-not-call list recently, as the registration works for only 5 years.

We do take this very seriously and will look into any possibilities of leaks. Thank you for letting us know of your concerns.

#112 User is offline   Alysia 

• MAPS Director
  • PipPip

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:57 AM

View PostCmdr_Crimson, on 21 May 2013 - 10:33 AM, said:

Please please do not have the Seller's hall in Hall F! It's small enough as it is...HALL A Is the better choice..Why was it being used as a friggin restaurant when everyone goes to the Expoteria for food and that's one heck of a hike if your in full cosplay...Please put it back to HALL A where it was..

Hall A was unavailable Friday due to another event's preexisting contract. The convention center opened up Hall A on Friday and Saturday of their own volition to help deal with the crowds.
We will return to Hall A next year.

#113 User is offline   Rowan 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:58 AM

Thank you again for responding, I do appreciate it. In all my years personally going(six), I have never had this happen. My boyfriend(who received the call), this was actually his first year going.

#114 User is offline   youth 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 22

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:18 AM

I think Rosemont is still a good fit for ACen. Just the layout of the whole area is bad. They should install a wide outdoor pedestrian bridge over River Rd. & turn the street in front of the Hyatt into a plaza.
g'day
youth

#115 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:14 PM

View Postyouth, on 21 May 2013 - 11:18 AM, said:

I think Rosemont is still a good fit for ACen. Just the layout of the whole area is bad. They should install a wide outdoor pedestrian bridge over River Rd. & turn the street in front of the Hyatt into a plaza.

Walk ways do exist from the hilton across to the DESCC, the plaza idea would not work, how would people parking in the hyatt get in to park? I do think that there should be maybe some police directing traffic by Bryn Mar ave and River road to allow for pedestrians to cross, as the cross walks weren't exactly working. It might be time to start to see if more space can be made availible in the Center? Also if the weather is good, maybe some outdoor pannels in the park? Like a concert or some sort of huge event that could get a lot of people there? Outdoor dance?
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#116 User is offline   KnitChick 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:56 PM

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 21 May 2013 - 12:14 PM, said:

Walk ways do exist from the hilton across to the DESCC, the plaza idea would not work, how would people parking in the hyatt get in to park? I do think that there should be maybe some police directing traffic by Bryn Mar ave and River road to allow for pedestrians to cross, as the cross walks weren't exactly working. It might be time to start to see if more space can be made availible in the Center? Also if the weather is good, maybe some outdoor pannels in the park? Like a concert or some sort of huge event that could get a lot of people there? Outdoor dance?

Ooooo. I like the way you think! Those sound like some great ideas! There is a nice open space over at the entertainment center (that during winter time is used as a skating rink), that would be a possibility for an outdoor event. :) Plus, fresh air is GREAT during con!!

#117 User is offline   youth 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 22

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:28 PM

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 21 May 2013 - 12:14 PM, said:

Walk ways do exist from the hilton across to the DESCC, the plaza idea would not work, how would people parking in the hyatt get in to park?

I'm more thinking of a walkway accessible from the sidewalks & widening those by maybe a lane. Bryn Mawr could be routed around back the convention center. I know none of this is likely to happen given the cost, but it would make the area much more ideal for a con like ACen.
g'day
youth

#118 User is offline   Gabichox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59269

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:32 PM

View PostJujuFox, on 19 May 2013 - 08:59 PM, said:

For those people complaining about the Hyatt's noise levels... This year our room had a free pair of earplugs. I'm a light sleeper, and I forgot to bring a pair, so I was so grateful they provided those! I slept like a baby, and no amount of yelling and slamming doors bothered me. With a 24 hour con like this one should know that hotel noise is unavoidable, especially at the Hyatt.

I wasn't complaining about the Hyatt. The Hyatt has long been the "party hotel" so I dare not book there.
I was in the Embassy and the noise levels starting from Thursday to Saturday night were completely ridiculous. Also, we weren't the only ones booking that hotel. There was a wedding there and a prom. So saying "With a 24 hour con like this one should know that hotel noise is unavoidable" is unfair to everyone who isn't partying like a frat boy. We shouldn't just be ok with people being obnoxious.
It was also in the Embassy rules that noise complaints get you kicked out. They gave us this huge paper talking about it. I wonder if they actually followed through?

Also wanted to add onto what people were saying about the gatherings. We really need to rethink what gatherings get what time. I felt bad for Touhou group only getting 30 minutes. Because I know there's like a million characters for them and they had to rush out when say, the One Piece group wanted to start their gathering. How about bringing back the time request in the form for gatherings? Also get rid of things like "Dance party/meme" gatherings and general things like "nintendo" or "fighting game".
ACen 2014 cosplay;
Donald Duck - [Thursday]
Elf - Dragon's Crown [Friday]
Agnès Oblige!Freelancer - Bravely Default [Saturday]

#119 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:53 PM

View PostGabichox, on 21 May 2013 - 01:32 PM, said:

I wasn't complaining about the Hyatt. The Hyatt has long been the "party hotel" so I dare not book there.
I was in the Embassy and the noise levels starting from Thursday to Saturday night were completely ridiculous. Also, we weren't the only ones booking that hotel. There was a wedding there and a prom. So saying "With a 24 hour con like this one should know that hotel noise is unavoidable" is unfair to everyone who isn't partying like a frat boy. We shouldn't just be ok with people being obnoxious.
It was also in the Embassy rules that noise complaints get you kicked out. They gave us this huge paper talking about it. I wonder if they actually followed through?

True, the Hyatt does get many room parties, and just general traffic noises from people moving through and such. However, All the major hotels were booked solid, mostly by ACen attendees. So there will inevitably be people coming to and from their rooms at all hours of the night and into the morning. I personally do not, have not, and will not participate in room parties. Since we always get a King room we don't have party neighbors due to the small size of the adjoining King rooms. However, just the noise from people coming and going from their rooms, passing by, and using the stairwell is enough to wake me up constantly. That is why I use and recommend ear plugs if you are a light sleeper, no matter which hotel you are staying in.

View PostGabichox, on 21 May 2013 - 01:32 PM, said:

Also wanted to add onto what people were saying about the gatherings. We really need to rethink what gatherings get what time. I felt bad for Touhou group only getting 30 minutes. Because I know there's like a million characters for them and they had to rush out when say, the One Piece group wanted to start their gathering. How about bringing back the time request in the form for gatherings? Also get rid of things like "Dance party/meme" gatherings and general things like "nintendo" or "fighting game".

Nintendo is a Japanese company with a huge fanbase that spans generations. Why would ACen be better off without it? Japan in general puts out some of the best and most loved video games. I would hate to see those discouraged at ACen. What about the Persona series? Should that go too since it's not really anime and just another video game series? Sorry if I'm coming off as a bit terse, but Nintendo is just as important to ACen as any other fandom.

I do agree about "internet stuff" not having top priority at ACen. It's what people enjoy though, and we shouldn't be discouraging others who may share our interests, but have other interests as well.

I also agree that bigger photoshoots should have more time. The Ghost in The Shell shoot I did only had 6 participants, so 30 mins was plenty of time for us. I can see how some bigger ones would be very pressed for time in just 30 mins.
Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#120 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:47 PM

View PostKnitChick, on 21 May 2013 - 12:56 PM, said:

Ooooo. I like the way you think! Those sound like some great ideas! There is a nice open space over at the entertainment center (that during winter time is used as a skating rink), that would be a possibility for an outdoor event. :)/> Plus, fresh air is GREAT during con!!

We were planning on doing a pickup football game on that turf space.

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users