2013 Gripes

#151 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:28 AM

View Postrondo, on 23 May 2013 - 07:32 AM, said:

My biggest gripe is not actually for the con itself. Dat Hyatt hotel room. Two mornings, the keycards had stopped working but I believe that is because of the wonky reservation this year. One day, the TV absolutely would not shut off. Went to sleep with it on. Had to have an engineer come up to fix it.

What was nice was the cheaper payment for parking. Four nights with in/out for $51, get out. That came out to $12.75 per night. Not sure why but we'll take it.

You stayed four nights? That was the three nights stay price at $17. Thursday night - Sat night, check out on Sunday morning. Did you come in on Wed?
Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#152 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 53583

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:34 AM

View PostJujuFox, on 23 May 2013 - 08:28 AM, said:

You stayed four nights? That was the three nights stay price at $17. Thursday night - Sat night, check out on Sunday morning. Did you come in on Wed?

Yes they did
I love my ACen family! Whether or not I return next year- please know I love you all! Until we meet again!

"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

#153 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:42 AM

View PostKungPowKirby, on 23 May 2013 - 08:34 AM, said:

Yes they did

Well that sucks for me since I came in Thursday and paid $51 total. Maybe there was a lack of communication going on Wed. Isn't the normal parking rate much higher?
Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#154 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:22 AM

View PostJujuFox, on 23 May 2013 - 08:42 AM, said:

Well that sucks for me since I came in Thursday and paid $51 total. Maybe there was a lack of communication going on Wed. Isn't the normal parking rate much higher?

Yeah, we paid $22 per day previously.

#155 User is offline   kahad 

• Panel Programming Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 532

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:49 AM

A. Anime Hell needs to be moved back to the Grand Ballroom. That or work on the setup in the room. I had nearly a front row seat for Hell in the middle section and I could barely see the screen. Also, from what I hear, Hardcore Snyergy did not attract a big enough crowd to justify giving it the Grand Ballroom.

B. Move the Crystal Ball away from the panels. The mixture of panal lines and Crystall Ball lines made for an extremely crowed hall and a bad fire hazard.

C. Move some of the bigger panels out of the basement hallway. The hallways were obviously not big enough to handle that many people at once.
K-chan (nickname given by ngsilver)
Are YOU on my grilling list??? (Updated 9-26-2008)
Master Chef of the Great Otaku Army and Spam Squad member!!!
AMV Staff ACen 2005-2007, Panel Programming Staff ACen 2008-2012 :)
Maho! - not just a saying, a way of life.

#156 User is offline   iospace 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 63586

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:19 PM

View Postdavebb, on 21 May 2013 - 04:07 PM, said:

Since I really haven't done any of the photoshoots except take photos for 1 many years ago. Why not start staging your group say like 30 minutes ahead of time nearby the photo location (this works better outside as there is more room to stage) and sort of preplan the placement of people. If you get say like 80-90% of the cosplayers there ahead of time, they can plan where they will post and how they will pose. When the time comes for the actual shoot, they can do the minor tweaks for those specific situations where a few extra people show up. This could shave off probably 10-15 minutes of prep time of the actual shoot

The Touhou shoot had a large majority of the cosplayers show up prior to the shoot time. We still ran into time issues.

Regarding the wedding in the Embassy Suites: I didn't run into any problems regarding it. All that I felt was a slight bit inconvenienced due to the fact that the side doors were closed. The area where drinks were being served obviously was cut into, but no programming was disrupted. That and it was sort of cool to see all the people watching being respectful. Beyond that, I was not aware of any other weddings. Also, there have been proms scheduled at the same time before, and they use rooms that ACen has not used yet to my knowledge (meaning I could be wrong). Yes ACen is starting to get to that point, but a lot of the whole "oh there should be no other events going on" reeks of selfishness.

#157 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:50 PM

View Postlinlindesu, on 21 May 2013 - 10:58 PM, said:

Pretty sure she was being sarcastic.
The idea is that the entire rosemont area does not belong to the con. So con goers need to not act like it's a personal bubble to act like morons.

I hope so. Though I know a few people where it wouldn't be. <_<
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#158 User is offline   Allison 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 62710

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:06 PM

View Postiospace, on 23 May 2013 - 02:19 PM, said:

Yes ACen is starting to get to that point, but a lot of the whole "oh there should be no other events going on" reeks of selfishness.

I guess I would just feel more comfortable knowing if the people hosting these events knew that there was a giant con going on at the same time, otherwise it seems it'd be uncomfortable for everyone.

#159 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 18292

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:07 PM

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 23 May 2013 - 04:50 PM, said:

I hope so. Though I know a few people where it wouldn't be. <_</>

I never understood this. particularly after this year. There was a prom at the hotel I was staying at and those kids were awesome. They were taking pics with Host club guys and wishing any one with a badge a good night. I mean , we all get to do this every year but a wedding or prom is ( usually ) a once in a lifetime thing. So anytime I see "let's crash such and such event " on a con fb page or forum , I cringe.

Hell, we should all count ourselves lucky. Gencon usually has to share their area with the Moto GP. Call me crazy but I'd take a few high school kids to a lot of bike enthusiasts who throughly enjoy engine revving at 3am any day.

Back on gripeness, I posted this like a while back but I'm still curious. Was it allowed to just walk in the exhibit hall from the lobby when there was a line going outside? I didn't understand the line really, it wasn't crowded in there... so was it just x amount of people using the sidewalk at once? I'm so confused >_<
I have a Bookface I have a Bird Sound my snark level is over 9000 : ]
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Compa- hyperdimension nep nep
Heather- Silent hill 3
Poison Ivy- Batman

#160 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:50 PM

View Postlinlindesu, on 23 May 2013 - 10:07 PM, said:

I never understood this. particularly after this year. There was a prom at the hotel I was staying at and those kids were awesome. They were taking pics with Host club guys and wishing any one with a badge a good night. I mean , we all get to do this every year but a wedding or prom is ( usually ) a once in a lifetime thing. So anytime I see "let's crash such and such event " on a con fb page or forum , I cringe.

Hell, we should all count ourselves lucky. Gencon usually has to share their area with the Moto GP. Call me crazy but I'd take a few high school kids to a lot of bike enthusiasts who throughly enjoy engine revving at 3am any day.

Back on gripeness, I posted this like a while back but I'm still curious. Was it allowed to just walk in the exhibit hall from the lobby when there was a line going outside? I didn't understand the line really, it wasn't crowded in there... so was it just x amount of people using the sidewalk at once? I'm so confused >_<

Agreed. There was a girl I saw at the hilton dancing with a Frankenstine from Soul Eater, she looked like she was having a blast, her date was apparently missing so they were cheering her up, which I thought was really sweet. And I don't get it either. Various others seem to think "It's my con and I'll get smashed if I want to." I had to warn a few of my club members (I'm there advisor) that if they attend and do that then mention our college the club could get disbanned. "But i wanna get drunk stupid." Urgh.

I suppose bikes are better then airplanes though, or worse yet, the sub woofer crowd.

I think it was that they were doing two lines, one from the exhibit hall lobby and one from the side walk. I think sunday they wanted everyone to go in one door, which I can get, but it seemed to cause a massaive back up. <_<
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#161 User is offline   cactusmomma 

• Costume Events Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3528

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:40 AM

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 21 May 2013 - 07:51 PM, said:

Regarding general gatherings. In some cases it's easier to do a general then to set up a bunch of smaller ones due to the number of groups that we get. This year alone there was three pages of gatherings. Having a "Nintendo" group saves up time for other groups to take pictures. I didn't see any "Link" or "Mario" gatherings in the book, and there's the issue. In a large gathering you can have smaller shots taken since all the groups are there. I guess I can say think of it from the organizers view, would you rather organize one big group with pictures taken for smaller things, or spend all day getting the smaller groups together for different times that could run counter to peoples plans. Sadly memes are something that has become common now, although I hear more about them at like C2E2 then ACen.

This, mainly. We were pretty darn cramped for space and time on gatherings this year. As it currently stands for this next year, I will have absolutely nowhere to safely house Homestuck. (Nearly 700 on Saturday alone, guys..) Groups like.. Fighter's Friday? That encompassed all fighting game groups that may have had super small groups, such as Yukes and SNK (I know we had Eretzvaju present!) So yeah, there was quite a bit of consolidation and condensing down. While some groups had 2 meetups or more than 30 minutes, that was due to their sheer popularity or due to concurrent programming. In the case of Touhou, they were given 30 minutes, but that wasn't a death sentence to stop right then and there. They were more than welcome to continue their photos, but they would have had to move somewhere else to make room for the next group.

My gripes as a person at the con -read: not staffer-... Not really the con's fault.. but more for the attendees: Look out for one another! It is not all on the staff to keep an eye out on you! If you see someone that looks uncomfortable or lost.. start chatting them up like you know them! They may be trying to get away from someone and can't! They might be lost! If you see someone getting on the power transformers by the Expoteria, please ask them to get down, those are not play boxes, those are live clicky buzz boxes! If you see someone acting like a Frat boy..kindly ask them to tone it down. We're civilized people here to enjoy our vacation.. not here to nurse headaches. Save that for the post-con plague please? Otherwise.. for the con? I know this was hotel designated..but.. the smoking area... not cool. People leaving their butts and trash in the landscaping.. also not cool.

And lastly.. I'm also wondering if something could be arranged with the hotel to help ADA people get their bags to and from their rooms at the Hyatt without needing to twist the bellhops' arms any? Or if something could be done to alert the front gate over handicapped parking availability (like full lots do) I know that while we were waiting for some friends to make it back to our van on Thursday evening to help us unload, we were met with a rather uncomfortable situation too.. I personally have a rather horrid back (8 bulging discs, extensive nerve damage to hips and neck..can only stand for under 10 minutes at a time) and thus, walk with a cane and have a handicapped pass too.. while waiting on the third level, a car circled around several times.. some of our other con friends came by to chat.. so while we chatted, I used that time to get some standing/walking time in.. one of the ladies in the circling car nearly demanded to know where our placard was, like she wanted our parking spot. It felt like she was accusing us of parking there illegally...when we told her it was hanging in the rearview mirror, they drove off to try finding elsewhere. I had to sit on the back bumper after that, but man.. it felt really awkward afterwards. I think if we could have just.. gotten help from getting a cart, we could have avoided that. (Why not get a bellhop? Emergency funds went byebye earlier. No tip to give, no atm card on hand.. Not gonna stiff the dude for his work.) I don't know.. it may be just..super late at night, but if something like that kind of alert could be done so people wouldn't be stuck with their money being spent for a spot they wouldn't even be able to get because they got there too late on Thursday.. that would be sweet.

#162 User is offline   Agatha 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 61511

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:17 AM

View PostAllison, on 23 May 2013 - 08:06 PM, said:

I guess I would just feel more comfortable knowing if the people hosting these events knew that there was a giant con going on at the same time, otherwise it seems it'd be uncomfortable for everyone.

From what I gathered from talking to people in the hotel, those hosting the wedding were warned when they booked the dates, and they chose to do it anyway. Not sure about the other things, though...

#163 User is offline   iospace 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 63586

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:03 PM

I would be absolutely shocked if the prom didn't know about the con before hand.

Unlike the past two years, I didn't do much walking in the skywalk, mostly because I was in the Embassy which doesn't have access to it and the weather was nice enough. However, one of the few times I was on it there were people taking photos in it.

Please don't. The walkway is narrow enough as is and we really do not need the obstructions in the way as well. Is there a rule saying you can't? And if there is, you should really put signs up saying "NO PICTURES IN THE SKYWALK".

#164 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:21 PM

View Postiospace, on 24 May 2013 - 02:03 PM, said:

I would be absolutely shocked if the prom didn't know about the con before hand.

Unlike the past two years, I didn't do much walking in the skywalk, mostly because I was in the Embassy which doesn't have access to it and the weather was nice enough. However, one of the few times I was on it there were people taking photos in it.

Please don't. The walkway is narrow enough as is and we really do not need the obstructions in the way as well. Is there a rule saying you can't? And if there is, you should really put signs up saying "NO PICTURES IN THE SKYWALK".

I can answer this~ :)

Yep, we do have a rule against obstructing traffic: don't do it. If someone finds you in the Skywalk or similarly crowded area and asks for a picture, then you should take the photographer to a more open space nearby. (There are a few spots like this along the Skyway's path, for instance.) Similarly, if IRT finds you obstructing traffic, we may ask you to move so that others can make their way past you.
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#165 User is offline   Mr. Robot 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 9484

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:01 PM

I was very disappointed in the handling of panel compensation. I was on two panels this year and was shocked to be told Sunday that, because I had pre-registered for the convention, I was not eligible to get a free badge, or rather in this case get refunded for my previous registration.

This is something I have never had a problem with in the past. I was told that this was put into place some time ago but wasn't enforced until last year; a year I was unable to attend due to the change of weekends. Evidently it is expected that the head panelist will inform all the co-panelists of this policy, and should they fail to do this then the co-panelists are just out of luck and the cost of a badge. Obviously I wouldn't be here complaining about it had I simply been informed of this by the friend who registered the panel and not gotten a badge, but I got burned by it, so I feel the need to explain why I feel this policy is absurd.

Perhaps someone more involved with forming the policy can explain the logic behind it, but I simply see no logic behind it. The only argument I could come up with to be made id that it is just easier, but that breaks down pretty fast given the how it was explained to me the policy covers instances of rejected panels. To ensure a rejected panel doesn't cost applicants an opportunity to pre-register at a cheaper rate, or to register at all, you permit rejected applicants to pre-register after the fact at whatever the rate was at the time of submission. That is at least as difficult and annoying as simply providing refunds at the con for panelists who pre-registered, and almost certainly more so. Even if that weren't the case though, sparing minor overhead is a pretty crappy reason to use a policy you know is likely to screw someone for doing something perfectly natural and reasonable to make sure they have a badge for the con.

Secondly, logic aside, I find it sad that your strictest requirement on comp badge control has absolutely nothing to do with your panel. I went to a panel that was cancelled because the panelist didn't show up, one of my roommates had that happen with at least one other panel, and I remember before the second one that I was a panelist for on the weekend hearing from the staff member of that room that the people running the "Everything Pokemon" panel were friends of his he threw up there because the real panelists didn't show up and the room was full so he didn't want to have to tell them it was cancelled.

Now I obviously don't know for sure what happened to those panelists, but it is completely plausible that they picked up their free badges and bailed on their panels because nothing, except maybe being blacklisted from applying so they can do it again in the future, was in their way to stop them. Or perhaps they drank too much and stayed up too late the previous night and just didn't feel like going. I find it disheartening that, despite the fact I showed up early with at least one other of my fellow panelists for both and did exactly what I was supposed to for the weekend, I got told "too bad" while plenty of others may have screwed the con over and made a lot of attendees quite upset in the process, but still get a comp badge.

Finally, I might add while I am at it as well that we do change up who is on our panels from time, taking breaks from it, or if someone can't make a particular con, or whatever. It is to my distinct advantage if it turns out I will not be be doing the panel at a particular convention to pre-register for the best rate possible, and this policy prevents that. I do recognize, however, that this particular preference is beyond standard accommodation and more on us to decide as soon as possible who's going to be on the panel. The other two points are very valid, however.

To be clear, I realize that the rule of common law applies here, and that either the applying panelist should have either been better about mentioning it to me or I should have just read them myself. That being said though, just because it is "the policy" doesn't mean it is a good one. This is a pretty easy mistake to make, especially under the circumstances of which I ran into it. (being refunded two years ago -> Not being able to attend last year -> Running Panel this year) Somehow I doubt I'm the only one who has been burned by it the last year or two, and again, I find it absurd that the biggest gotcha in the panelist policy is an arbitrary comp-trap for pre-registering, rather than something to prevent people from getting a free badge and skipping out on their panels. That shows a bit of a lack of caring toward panel content to me.

BTW, I was a co-panelist on both Gundam Experience panels. I have done both it and other panels at ACen before without having any problems with badge comp, which is frankly why I didn't feel the need to review the panelist page; Its not like I hadn't done this before, and most of what it says is pretty universal to both other cons and common sense anyhow. Guess I'll have to make sure I don't do that with ACen again, but regardless of what odd things may or may not get added to the panelist policy later, I strongly urge the programming department to consider changing this one. Go after the people who flake on their panels, not those of us who's only sin is committing to go to the convention with or without a panel to run.

Lastly, I would like to express my appreciation to how this was handled at Panel Ops when this all came to fruition at the con. I believe Jared was the guys name, and while I was obviously not happy with what he was telling me, he was very professional about it and appreciated it.

tldr; It is really dumb that you are not eligible for panel comp just for pre-registering when you don't even seem to have anything in the way of stopping people from taking a badge and running. You should change that. =P

This post has been edited by Mr. Robot: 24 May 2013 - 09:03 PM

#166 User is offline   Zerox20 

• Panel Programming ADH
  • PipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 1323

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:23 PM

Thank you so much everyone for the Panels feedback. We are watching this thread closely and taking lots of notes on all of these suggestions for the coming year. Please keep them coming and do not be afraid to speak up. If anybody is not comfortable leaving feedback on this forum, feel free to send an email directly to panelprogramming [ at ] ACen.org or fill out the Contact Us form and select Panel Programming: http://www.ACen.org/contact-us

Thanks again for the excellent feedback everyone!

This post has been edited by Zerox20: 24 May 2013 - 10:24 PM

Jared "Zerox20" Sangeorzan - Panel Programming ADH - ACen 2003/Present
E: panelprogramming@ACen.org || Panel Programming FAQ

#167 User is offline   feuerwerke 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 63062

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:30 PM

I have to agree with Mr. Robot re; how comped badges for panelists is handled. I've never been burned by it, but I simply do not understand that rule. Why make it unnecessarily stressful for panelists to get their comped badges? I ran a panel last year, and, while I didn't have any issues, that period of time where I waited to see if my panel was accepted or not was really stressful. It was my first time running a panel, and not knowing for sure how well the deal of being able to preregister for the price I would've been able to if I'd preregistered when I submitted my panel would go if I got rejected was scary as heck. Ultimately, my panel was accepted, and everything went fine, but I just think that rule is really unnecessary and unfair. Also, I had a situation where I had a copanelist that bailed on me fairly last minute, so I replaced her with another friend who wasn't expecting to be my copanelist and had preregistered forever ago. I find it rather unfair that she wasn't able to get her badge partially refunded (since she and I only did one panel it was only partially comped). imo the rule is kind of unfair, and it kind of says "we value having a bit less work to do over actually showing our panelists that we appreciate them".
ACen 2014 cosplays
  • Junko Enoshima

#168 User is offline   mer2329 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 29293

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:30 PM

1) the artist alley and exhibit space map was printed with a font similar in size to microprint
it was completely unreadable
in comparison the maps from 2010, 2011, and 2012 were nice and big
2010 and 1011 guides were the smaller than this year however 2012 was bigger
for reference here are the mentioned guides physical measurements
2010 was 6.75 x 8.5 inches
2011 was 6.5 x 8.5 inches
2012 was 8.5 x 11 inches
2013 was 6.5 x 9.5 inches (this year, for future reference)
i can provide scans later if you don't have access to these guides anymore

2) the guest list was pretty small
guest count for the past 4 years (according to the program guides from those years. yes i still have them)
2010 had 35 guests
2011 had 30 guests
2012 had 45 guests
2013 had 23 guests
and most only had 1 signing (according to the guidebook app on friday) when in previous years most guests had 2 to 3 signings (3 if part of a cast signing, based off 2012 guide)

3) once again i would like there to be a coat check and bag check (bag check for the rooms where you cant have your bags in there, dances and such) its like you dont care about the locals who commute to the con, one way to solve it your liabilty would be to have a inventory of all items of value inventoried and on record and on check out the the items get verified.

4) IRT was not as knowledgeable as they could of been. one example on Friday, near where opening ceremonies were held, were could i get a guide. i was told by the 2 IRT members "i dont know". so i walked to customer service in the hyatt and they had some there, along with schedule updates.

5) the hyatt had a nice sign printed with room names and arrows pointing in the direction of the rooms but it was covered with a microprinted map i showed the hotel sign to 10 and 20 people and they all preferred it, one went so far as to place the map above the sign, and yes i helped. (i brought this up in panel programming HQ)

6) instead of just logging if a panelist is a no show would it be possible to give a reminder call, text, or email say 30 minutes early
gmail has a canned responces (its in settings>labs) i use it be able to select between 5 different signatures however it can be used to precompose an entire message and only need to edit a small number portion of the message
an example could be

This is a reminder of your panel [panel name] at [panels time] located in [room]
You will be considered no show if you don't arrive by [no show time]

with this message you would only need to edit 4 parts instead of composing the entire thing with this
True Words of Wisdom
Those Who Fall Asleep In Fruit Drink
Often Gets Punch in Nose

#169 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:59 AM

View Postkahad, on 23 May 2013 - 10:49 AM, said:

A. Anime Hell needs to be moved back to the Grand Ballroom. That or work on the setup in the room. I had nearly a front row seat for Hell in the middle section and I could barely see the screen. Also, from what I hear, Hardcore Snyergy did not attract a big enough crowd to justify giving it the Grand Ballroom.

B. Move the Crystal Ball away from the panels. The mixture of panal lines and Crystall Ball lines made for an extremely crowed hall and a bad fire hazard.

C. Move some of the bigger panels out of the basement hallway. The hallways were obviously not big enough to handle that many people at once.

^THIS--all of the above.

My other gripe has to do with the guest list and guest relations. I really appreciate all the work they do for sure--but why does only 1 person seem to run it with a few other people? That's really hard for just a few people like that. Maye consider getting more people to work such a extensive section of the convention? Since it's very important to people and requires lots of time, planning and busy work? From what I know, El Ken is the only one running it--and that's a lot for one person. And then, us con-goers complain about the guest list--but one person can only do so much. Like other cons I know their guest relations has a lot of people in it. So perhaps extend the guest relations team? :) Maybe that can help with the guest list.
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#170 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 60452

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:36 PM

While I'm not rallying for it as many others, I will have to say that I think ACen does need to step it up in the guests they get for the con. They need to shoot for some Justin Cooks, Steve Blums, Kari Wahlgrens, Crispin Glovers, etc. I know not all of those names are easy to come by but if other cons can do it (and smaller ones mind you), then I don't see why ACen can't snag a few big names considering it's the number 3 biggest Anime Con in America.

I know some people will frown upon this suggestion, but if getting strictly Anime guests may be too hard, why not some cartoon VAs like Billy West, Tara Strong (coming to Wizard World FYI), Phil LaMaar, etc. and then reduce the number of lesser known guests you have?

Personally I'm more about quality over quantity and would be fine with 5 big names vs. 15 lesser known names. Just my opinion though.
STVO: Facebook ACen Regular, 2013 Hellfire Challenge Champ!
Visit my Site STVO Universe
Fan on Facebook, Follow on Twitter, Subscribe on YouTube
Tentative ACen 2014 Cosplays Plans:
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#171 User is offline   Bloo09 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 17891

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:14 PM

Panelists who no show are marked as no show by our staff and are not welcome back as panelists at Anime Central. We do keep track of this, even if we find someone in a line who is willing to run the panel instead which we often try to do to not disappoint the hundreds of attendees who had been waiting for the panel. Our number of applications grows every year and we have to deny more every year. It's not fair to the disappointed attendees, or the panels we couldn't approve when folks take their badge and ditch.

Panel Comps - The panelist should not pay before being approved. In the policy it states that we will roll your badge price back to the price it was when you applied whether you're approved or denied. You do not miss out on the cheaper prices even if we wind up approving you in February, you still receive the September price. But you need to contact us and we will roll it back, unfortunately that's just how our system works. Panelists who pay for their badges are not refunded, it states this in the policy at #1 which will be remaining the same for next year. The only price the panelist discount does not apply to is the Roadshow discount.

We are looking into a solution for the cramped space issue. We have a few options and are weighing out which will work best for us.
ACen 14 - Panel Programming Department Head and Crystal Ball Manager
ACen 12 - 14 - ACen & Anime Central Facebook Group(s) Administrator
ACen 13 - Panel Programming Department Head and Crystal Ball Manager, ACen 12 - Panel Programming Dept. Head and Crystal Ball Manager,
ACen 11 - Reg Dept. Head, ACen 10 - Reg Dept. Head, ACen 09 - Reg Asst. Dept. Head, ACen 08 - Guest Relations staff, ACen 07 - IRT Guest Escort

Please contact me if you have any questions, comments or concerns regarding Panel Programming for Anime Central. PanelProgramming@ACen.org.
If you have any questions about the Crystal Ball please email CrystalBall@ACen.org

My private messages are now disabled. Between friend invite spam, and forum notices as a moderator I was missing panel related private messages. Please email us to contact panels, thank you!

#172 User is offline   Mr. Robot 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 9484

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:12 PM

View PostBloo09, on 27 May 2013 - 02:14 PM, said:

Panel Comps - The panelist should not pay before being approved. In the policy it states that we will roll your badge price back to the price it was when you applied whether you're approved or denied. You do not miss out on the cheaper prices even if we wind up approving you in February, you still receive the September price. But you need to contact us and we will roll it back, unfortunately that's just how our system works. Panelists who pay for their badges are not refunded, it states this in the policy at #1 which will be remaining the same for next year. The only price the panelist discount does not apply to is the Roadshow discount.

I am aware of and acknowledged that as a mistake on my part in my post. I am not arguing that this wasn't the policy, I am arguing that it is a bad policy, one which serves no purpose except to be a fine print gotcha with no logical reason for existing other than saving a bit of overhead, which you inflict upon yourselves by permitting rollback pre-registering anyway. I simply do not see what net gain the policy gives the department; it is just an annoyance to your panelists who missed it altogether or who have to jump through a bunch of hoops to pre-register after the fact and I am very sorry to hear that you are so firm in keeping it next year. After this year I obviously know not to pre-register again, but I really hope you don't harm any new panelists who are counting on compensation to be able to afford coming at all.

What's really too bad as well is that your system completely prohibits rewarding just such instances of panelists who step up from the crowd when panelists fail to show up.

Edit: I might add as well that my errant registration was at Ohayocon at the Roadshow rate, something current policy would have cost me whatever the difference at the time was had I followed it and we would have been denied.

This post has been edited by Mr. Robot: 27 May 2013 - 04:15 PM

#173 User is offline   Allison 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 62710

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:25 PM

View PostBloo09, on 27 May 2013 - 02:14 PM, said:

Panelists who no show are marked as no show by our staff and are not welcome back as panelists at Anime Central. We do keep track of this, even if we find someone in a line who is willing to run the panel instead which we often try to do to not disappoint the hundreds of attendees who had been waiting for the panel. Our number of applications grows every year and we have to deny more every year. It's not fair to the disappointed attendees, or the panels we couldn't approve when folks take their badge and ditch.

We are looking into a solution for the cramped space issue. We have a few options and are weighing out which will work best for us.

Would it be possible to have all panelists pay the badge price for the month they registered and if they show up and do a good job (meaning not just signing up to do a panel, coming, and not doing anything productive/relating to the panel's description), they get refunded and if they don't show, then no refund?

#174 User is offline   xFatHalpert 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 63540

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:41 PM

View Postrondo, on 21 May 2013 - 02:47 PM, said:

We were planning on doing a pickup football game on that turf space.

This is an excellent idea, along with the concert idea. Maybe have some American acts come and play? I know Andrew WK is a huge My Little Pony fan and has been pretty active on Cartoon Network and stuff. I know it's not really fitting in with the whole "anime" thing, but it would be a good time for everyone.

#175 User is offline   TaiyakiOni 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 41763

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:00 PM

2 gripes this year as a panelist.

My Welcome to Gensokyo panel was scheduled 9am to 10:45am but the IRT lady who was supervising the panel forcibly had us leave at 10:15, a full 30 minutes before our panel was scheduled to end. We questioned it and she argued that we were in fact scheduled to leave, only for us to check the room schedule as we left and find out she was wrong.

2nd gripe, running a late night 18+ panel, the IRT girl who was outside the room for our panel was entirely either overworked and exhausted or under the influence of something that caused slurred speech, short term memory loss as she kept repeating the same questions and forgetting that we were panelists waiting to enter our room. We were also not given the 10 minutes before our start time to set up as she allowed the previous panel to run long.

My only 2 gripes this year. Merry christmas to me that it was small things this time.
The Oni of Taiyaki
Cosplays: ACen 2013
Persona: Pyro Jack

#176 User is offline   gavv 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 6

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:20 AM

View PostSTVO, on 27 May 2013 - 01:36 PM, said:

While I'm not rallying for it as many others, I will have to say that I think ACen does need to step it up in the guests they get for the con. They need to shoot for some Justin Cooks, Steve Blums, Kari Wahlgrens, Crispin Glovers, etc. I know not all of those names are easy to come by but if other cons can do it (and smaller ones mind you), then I don't see why ACen can't snag a few big names considering it's the number 3 biggest Anime Con in America.

I brought Steve Blum and Beau Billingslea to ACen 2005 which was their first con in a very long time, that basically got them over their hesitancy to attend anime cons. Just saying :)

gavv

#177 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 60452

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:36 AM

View Postgavv, on 28 May 2013 - 07:20 AM, said:

I brought Steve Blum and Beau Billingslea to ACen 2005 which was their first con in a very long time, that basically got them over their hesitancy to attend anime cons. Just saying :)/>

gavv

Props to you sir. You is da Man! :). I met them in 2005 and they were both very cool. Only thing I wish was that it wasn't a 6 hour wait and I could have got a photo with them, but you got them to come so I can't complain. I'd love to meet them again and this time get a photo even if they charged. LOL
STVO: Facebook ACen Regular, 2013 Hellfire Challenge Champ!
Visit my Site STVO Universe
Fan on Facebook, Follow on Twitter, Subscribe on YouTube
Tentative ACen 2014 Cosplays Plans:
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#178 User is offline   ito 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 6025

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:22 PM

View PostAllison, on 27 May 2013 - 05:25 PM, said:

Would it be possible to have all panelists pay the badge price for the month they registered and if they show up and do a good job (meaning not just signing up to do a panel, coming, and not doing anything productive/relating to the panel's description), they get refunded and if they don't show, then no refund?

This is an excellent idea. This was my 5th year doing a panel at ACen and I feel like there has to be better ways to handle this. Another thing that bothers me is that good panelists have to suffer because of the bad ones. Badges used to be fully comped for doing a panel (which makes sense to me, I put a tooooon of time and a decent chuck of money in to making mine), but now they are only half comped because of too many people abusing this policy. Instead of doing half-comped, why not go back to fully comped and have worse punishment for failing to show up to you panel.

Another thought I had, which I have no idea how it would work, but is there a way to pre-screen panels? I have been too far too many that have been ill-prepared, not knowledgeable, sloppy, or thrown together on the spot (only one panel was like that for me this year).

View PostxFatHalpert, on 27 May 2013 - 05:41 PM, said:

Maybe have some American acts come and play? I know Andrew WK is a huge My Little Pony fan and has been pretty active on Cartoon Network and stuff. I know it's not really fitting in with the whole "anime" thing, but it would be a good time for everyone.

Andrew WK also released a Japan only CD called Gundam Rock that was completely covers of Gundam songs...that would make him even more relevant :)

#179 User is offline   Roark 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 11290

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:26 PM

View Postito, on 29 May 2013 - 01:22 PM, said:

This is an excellent idea. This was my 5th year doing a panel at ACen and I feel like there has to be better ways to handle this. Another thing that bothers me is that good panelists have to suffer because of the bad ones. Badges used to be fully comped for doing a panel (which makes sense to me, I put a tooooon of time and a decent chuck of money in to making mine), but now they are only half comped because of too many people abusing this policy. Instead of doing half-comped, why not go back to fully comped and have worse punishment for failing to show up to you panel.

Now that ACen actually has a persistent year-to-year reg system, something like this could probably work with some modification:
  • For first two years, panelists pay for badge pre-con. X% of badge refunded based on meeting criteria (show up on time, acceptable panel ratings, etc.), number of panels done, etc.
  • Panelist years 3+: Badge comped ahead of con.
  • Black mark: reset back to first year status. Black mark is no-show at con w/o excuse (funeral, illness, etc.;), lots of poor ratings, attendee incidents...

Basically, reward people who consistent show up and do good panels. New people are on probationary period. People who screw up go on probation.

#180 User is offline   ito 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 6025

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:38 AM

View PostRoark, on 29 May 2013 - 04:26 PM, said:

Now that ACen actually has a persistent year-to-year reg system, something like this could probably work with some modification:
  • For first two years, panelists pay for badge pre-con. X% of badge refunded based on meeting criteria (show up on time, acceptable panel ratings, etc.), number of panels done, etc.
  • Panelist years 3+: Badge comped ahead of con.
  • Black mark: reset back to first year status. Black mark is no-show at con w/o excuse (funeral, illness, etc.;)/>, lots of poor ratings, attendee incidents...

Basically, reward people who consistent show up and do good panels. New people are on probationary period. People who screw up go on probation.

Great ideas! To add on to that thought, it would be cool to see a quicker approval process for return panelists, esspecially if they have run the panel before.

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users