2013 Gripes

#121 User is offline   kenkendazo  

• The Luckiest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19670

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:50 PM

View PostJujuFox, on 21 May 2013 - 01:53 PM, said:

True, the Hyatt does get many room parties, and just general traffic noises from people moving through and such. However, All the major hotels were booked solid, mostly by ACen attendees. So there will inevitably be people coming to and from their rooms at all hours of the night and into the morning. I personally do not, have not, and will not participate in room parties. Since we always get a King room we don't have party neighbors due to the small size of the adjoining King rooms. However, just the noise from people coming and going from their rooms, passing by, and using the stairwell is enough to wake me up constantly. That is why I use and recommend ear plugs if you are a light sleeper, no matter which hotel you are staying in.

Nintendo is a Japanese company with a huge fanbase that spans generations. Why would ACen be better off without it? Japan in general puts out some of the best and most loved video games. I would hate to see those discouraged at ACen. What about the Persona series? Should that go too since it's not really anime and just another video game series? Sorry if I'm coming off as a bit terse, but Nintendo is just as important to ACen as any other fandom.

I do agree about "internet stuff" not having top priority at ACen. It's what people enjoy though, and we shouldn't be discouraging others who may share our interests, but have other interests as well.

I also agree that bigger photoshoots should have more time. The Ghost in The Shell shoot I did only had 6 participants, so 30 mins was plenty of time for us. I can see how some bigger ones would be very pressed for time in just 30 mins.

Just to point out Persona 4 does have an anime.
Linlindesu is muh Waifu <3

The Roose is on the loose!

#122 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 56275

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:53 PM

Nintendo is a Japanese company with a huge fanbase that spans generations. Why would ACen be better off without it? Japan in general puts out some of the best and most loved video games. I would hate to see those discouraged at ACen. What about the Persona series? Should that go too since it's not really anime and just another video game series? Sorry if I'm coming off as a bit terse, but Nintendo is just as important to ACen as any other fandom.

I don't think they meant to take Nintando out...they just said take out general things, so I think they meant split Nintendo into smaller groups. I'd imagine that'd be pretty difficult to do though, since things like Mario are obviously going to have a lot of people whereas (insert small name video game here) would not have enough for their own shoot. Definitely agreed that you can't just take out Nintendo.

On the issue of noise at the hotels, I'd recommend staying somewhere further away, not in the main 3/4 hotels. You won't deal with the noise there, and if it bothers you so much, the driving and parking costs will be worth it. Otherwise, not much can be done in terms of noise. I'm not a fan of noise at 3 am either, so I commute from home every day and just pay gas and parking (only a 30 minute drive for me, but still not as convenient as just staying at the con hotel)
ACen 2014 Schedule
Friday: Meloetta [Pokemon]
Saturday: Umi Ryuuzaki [Magic Knight Rayearth]
Sunday: Sytry Cartwright Demon Attire [Devils and Realist]

Add me on Facebook! Washu Takashi Cosplay

#123 User is offline   thearrowpen 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 63859

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:05 PM

Only a few gripes from me:

--the program: no one in my room could figure out how the panels listed in the program were organized. They weren't alphabetized, in order of time, grouped by location, or anything else we could think of. We finally decided they must have been listed in the order in which panel descriptions were received. Anyway, it was incredibly confusing since I couldn't look up panel descriptions efficiently.
Additionally, I couldn't find any info in the program about guests. I really wanted to meet Helen McCarthy and had no idea where she was going to be at any point in the weekend, or whether she was giving panels, etc.

--photoshoots and smoking areas: it's already been said, but it bothered me, too, so I figured I'd chime in.

--the Costudio: I think I'll post this in the Costudio thread as well, but here are some thoughts on it anyway.
1. it was freezing, and I was in cosplay all weekend.
2. the setup needs some work. Having people working on projects at the same time that panelists are presenting doesn't work, especially when there are sewing machines and heat guns running. The projector screens were also placed kind of unfortunately -- I felt like I could sit so as to see either the presenter or the screen, but not both
3. Not really a gripe, but I'd love to see some times set aside for workshopping, e.g. "The Wigging Hour" when everyone comes and works on their wigs, or an evening in which people bring dinner and a cosplay to work on. Or even just a "cosplay chat" hour or something. Cosplay is pretty much why I go to cons, so I just really want to see this continue so I can geek about cosplay as much as possible. :D I have a feeling this will happen naturally if the studio continues, so long as more sewing/styling equipment is available.

#124 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:08 PM

On the general groups, something like 'fighting game' is too general however I don't find 'Nintendo' as general. Technically some characters cross companies' boundaries but most people who are doing characters are associated specifically with say moreso 'Nintendo', a little less with 'Sony', and barely any with 'Microsoft'. Nintendo just so happens to have some of the best loved and most well established characters that are iconic for a given company related to video gaming.

As for noise, any of the core hotels, particularly those that are remote sites for panels, are in danger of being noisy regardless of hotel rules. Nature of the beast. You can complain, but as Washu alluded to, you may be better off distancing yourself from the main area of activity.

I have some minor quibbles but I'll have to post that later. I have some carpet to rip up. :/

This post has been edited by rondo: 21 May 2013 - 03:14 PM

#125 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:12 PM

View Postdavebb, on 21 May 2013 - 10:08 AM, said:

Personally I rather work with the Rosemont EMS and Rosemont PD than work with Chicago EMS and Chicago PD. No offense against Chicago, just have a very good standing relationship and understanding with Rosemont and how the operations within the department and their cooperation with IRT and EMRT would be.

That's an excellent and rather important point.

#126 User is offline   Twilight Sparkle 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 62967

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:50 PM

I would also like to add to complain about parking rates. With no in and out privileges. It is really, really ridiculous. I had people in my group that had to go back to our hotel to take medication and the like during the day and paying 26 dollars was a huge headache. I would just really like in and out privileges or lower parking in general.
Planned 2013 Cosplays!
MLP - Twilight Sparkle
Magi - Scheherazade, Ren Gyokuen, fem!Alibaba Saluja
Frozen - Anna
Homestuck - Damara Megido, Aradia Megido

#127 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:57 PM

View PostTwilight Sparkle, on 21 May 2013 - 03:50 PM, said:

I would also like to add to complain about parking rates. With no in and out privileges. It is really, really ridiculous. I had people in my group that had to go back to our hotel to take medication and the like during the day and paying 26 dollars was a huge headache. I would just really like in and out privileges or lower parking in general.

Are you talking about the con center's parking garage, or a hotel? The Hyatt has in/out privileges for those staying there, but we've always been told that if we leave we may not be able to find an open spot again. So we never leave. o___o;
Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#128 User is offline   davebb 

• EMRT
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 11282

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:07 PM

Since I really haven't done any of the photoshoots except take photos for 1 many years ago. Why not start staging your group say like 30 minutes ahead of time nearby the photo location (this works better outside as there is more room to stage) and sort of preplan the placement of people. If you get say like 80-90% of the cosplayers there ahead of time, they can plan where they will post and how they will pose. When the time comes for the actual shoot, they can do the minor tweaks for those specific situations where a few extra people show up. This could shave off probably 10-15 minutes of prep time of the actual shoot
Medic 6 : ACen 2014 EMRT ConCenter Supervisor (serving since 2008)
Dave Bukowski -- NREMT-B
EMT-B / EMA
"ask not what ACen can do for you--ask what you can do for ACen"

#129 User is offline   Twilight Sparkle 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 62967

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:14 PM

View PostJujuFox, on 21 May 2013 - 03:57 PM, said:

The convention center parking or Rosemont Public Parking.
We could never afford to stay in the Hyatt or nearby hotels, so we always have to drive in from say a hotel in Elk Grove Village. But after this year we might just have to bite the bullet after all the money we dropped on parking alone would probably be enough for a room at the Hyatt or one of the other walking distance hotels.
Planned 2013 Cosplays!
MLP - Twilight Sparkle
Magi - Scheherazade, Ren Gyokuen, fem!Alibaba Saluja
Frozen - Anna
Homestuck - Damara Megido, Aradia Megido

#130 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:15 PM

View PostKnitChick, on 21 May 2013 - 12:56 PM, said:

Ooooo. I like the way you think! Those sound like some great ideas! There is a nice open space over at the entertainment center (that during winter time is used as a skating rink), that would be a possibility for an outdoor event. :)/> Plus, fresh air is GREAT during con!!

Fresh air is a wonderful thing, particually at night when there's a lot of people. You'd have less sweat. Humm I wonder if there would be any way to put either hardcore or the soap bubble over there given the crowds that it gets and it could help with the line problems that were mentioned.

View Postrondo, on 21 May 2013 - 02:47 PM, said:

We were planning on doing a pickup football game on that turf space.

Sounds like a fun idea!
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#131 User is offline   Gabichox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59269

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:13 PM

True, the Hyatt does get many room parties, and just general traffic noises from people moving through and such. However, All the major hotels were booked solid, mostly by ACen attendees. So there will inevitably be people coming to and from their rooms at all hours of the night and into the morning. I personally do not, have not, and will not participate in room parties. Since we always get a King room we don't have party neighbors due to the small size of the adjoining King rooms. However, just the noise from people coming and going from their rooms, passing by, and using the stairwell is enough to wake me up constantly. That is why I use and recommend ear plugs if you are a light sleeper, no matter which hotel you are staying in.

I do agree about "internet stuff" not having top priority at ACen. It's what people enjoy though, and we shouldn't be discouraging others who may share our interests, but have other interests as well.

I also agree that bigger photoshoots should have more time. The Ghost in The Shell shoot I did only had 6 participants, so 30 mins was plenty of time for us. I can see how some bigger ones would be very pressed for time in just 30 mins.

I'm sorry but you're missing the entire point of my posts completely and I cannot fathom some of the responses here.
I don't care if people are going from room to room. That was never my issue.
I care about people shouting to each other from the 4th floor to the 5th floor. [Literally loitering there and having a shout fest] I care about people throwing food at some random person's door and screaming down the hallways at the top of their lungs. I care about the constant fighting and profanities from a very public break up. I also care about people vomiting in front of a young girl and her mom in the lobby because they were so smashed at 9pm. The noise and craziness of the hotels aren't what they were before and we really need to stop this "it is how it is" attitude. It isn't just some simple room party atmosphere anymore. It's out of control and it's embarrassing to the con. It's also against the hotel's rules and they specifically asked for noise levels to be kept down. The hotel staff seemed to have more of a presence on Saturday night at least. There were also cops there. My whole point was guys can we seriously grow up a bit and stop enabling people to act how they want for no reason other than "that's how ACen is". [or rather, has become]

Let me also mention again that there was a wedding booked at the Embassy. Maybe they should've moved further away from the con if the noise bothered them or something IDK I mean they should totally expect this kind of thing or something.

Washu Takahashi understood me at least. What I meant was take out general gatherings that encompass too broad of things when there are already many smaller gatherings for it and the series under it. I suppose Nintendo was a sensitive example to use. It has nothing to do with if something is related to Japan [when did I even say that???] And please do not turn this into a "accept others likes and dislikes!" thing because that has nothing to do with it. I pointed out memes and dance parties because there wasn't even a thread for it. That's all.

This post has been edited by Gabichox: 21 May 2013 - 07:14 PM

ACen 2014 cosplay;
Donald Duck - [Thursday]
Elf - Dragon's Crown [Friday]
Agnès Oblige!Freelancer - Bravely Default [Saturday]

#132 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:51 PM

View PostGabichox, on 21 May 2013 - 07:13 PM, said:

I'm sorry but you're missing the entire point of my posts completely and I cannot fathom some of the responses here.
I care about people shouting to each other from the 4th floor to the 5th floor. [Literally loitering there and having a shout fest] I care about people throwing food at some random person's door and screaming down the hallways at the top of their lungs. I care about the constant fighting and profanities from a very public break up. I also care about people vomiting in front of a young girl and her mom in the lobby because they were so smashed at 9pm. The noise and craziness of the hotels aren't what they were before and we really need to stop this "it is how it is" attitude. It isn't just some simple room party atmosphere anymore. It's out of control and it's embarrassing to the con. It's also against the hotel's rules and they specifically asked for noise levels to be kept down. The hotel staff seemed to have more of a presence on Saturday night at least. There were also cops there. My whole point was guys can we seriously grow up a bit and stop enabling people to act how they want for no reason other than "that's how ACen is". [or rather, has become]

Firstly, regarding the shouting from the two floors, the only way to curb that is to get hotel staff and tell them about that. Or you can go up to the people and straight up tell them, "Hey you're being a nusences, either stop or I'm getting management to remove you from here! You're disturbing the peace." The best thing though is just to go and get the staff on them. If it's a fight then the hotel has the right to remove them if they are causing disorderly conduct, I believe. You cannot control people, most certainly when there is a large amount of emotions at hand, as in the case with the break up. The only thing you can do is go to the main desk, or call them, and say, "Hey there are these people on Floor x that are making a racket, can you come up and control this."

Again not much you can do to stop people from getting smashed. I certainly want to recommend a hotel booze check, and certain quanities of drink can be brought in and only that much. If a person gets smashed, the only thing again to do is to go and get the cops and the front desk and report it. If the behavior is that bad then the hotel has a right to throw the people out. This isn't a case of enabling, this is a case of culture where, to be honest, if one is brought up to behave in public they will, in a lot of cases people who are getting smashed are people that have either very strict home lives and they want to be "adult" so they get blitzed here at ACen. The con staff can only do so much, you have to report this behavior while it's happening for them to do things about it. Honestly the best recourse to the hotel problem is, one request that your room be in an area away from the main floors, IE executive suites or other areas of the like. Two is if you can't do that and you see a problem report it outright to staff, IRT, and the hotel management.

Let me also mention again that there was a wedding booked at the Embassy. Maybe they should've moved further away from the con if the noise bothered them or something IDK I mean they should totally expect this kind of thing or something.

Weddings will be booked regardless, the only thing to do in that case is for the hotel to find a way to block the wedding group from the con group.

Washu Takahashi understood me at least. What I meant was take out general gatherings that encompass too broad of things when there are already many smaller gatherings for it and the series under it. I suppose Nintendo was a sensitive example to use. It has nothing to do with if something is related to Japan [when did I even say that???] And please do not turn this into a "accept others likes and dislikes!" thing because that has nothing to do with it. I pointed out memes and dance parties because there wasn't even a thread for it. That's all.

Regarding general gatherings. In some cases it's easier to do a general then to set up a bunch of smaller ones due to the number of groups that we get. This year alone there was three pages of gatherings. Having a "Nintendo" group saves up time for other groups to take pictures. I didn't see any "Link" or "Mario" gatherings in the book, and there's the issue. In a large gathering you can have smaller shots taken since all the groups are there. I guess I can say think of it from the organizers view, would you rather organize one big group with pictures taken for smaller things, or spend all day getting the smaller groups together for different times that could run counter to peoples plans. Sadly memes are something that has become common now, although I hear more about them at like C2E2 then ACen.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

Pardon the Pause

#133 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:08 PM

View PostGabichox, on 21 May 2013 - 07:13 PM, said:

Let me first apologize. You didn't cite these specific examples of incidents in your previous posts. You said "I was in the Embassy and the noise levels starting from Thursday to Saturday night were completely ridiculous". I didn't know what exactly you were talking about based off of this sentence alone. You also said they were obnoxious. That could mean a range of things from just talking in the halls, to slamming doors, to yelling obscenities. I had no idea the specific issues that you had personally experienced. Please don't get upset with me for not knowing what you meant!

Before I put in my earplugs I heard all sorts of yelling, high-pitched woman screams, etc. Again, I was in the Hyatt so the high amounts of traffic going to and from panels and events is the main reason for the high noise levels, and I expect to hear these types of things. The Hilton had the gaming in there, but did the Embassy have any ACen events? I'm guessing if not then it was just those guests coming to and from their rooms as they would have no other reason for being in that hotel. ACen does completely fill all the major hotels, so people will be coming back and forth 24/7. It's still no excuse for bad behavior though.

I certainly do not approve or condone this kind of behavior, and I'm sorry you were subjected to it. I was fast asleep by 11 PM every night, so I don't ever see the night crowd and their shenanigans. I also don't see anyone enabling them to do this. As you said, the Embassy seemed to have a strict rule on this. They can't have security stationed in every hall to enforce their rules, and you did day you saw a law enforcement presence trying to discourage these incidents. Do you have any other suggestions for how this can be stopped or prevented? I'm not sure what else can be done? If I saw these incidents I would have tried to contact the front desk about it. There may be no easy answer to solve this problem. I noticed in the Hyatt there was already a strong police presence. It may not be possible/feasible to have more security watching for this sort of thing.

Unfortunately, asking people to grow up and behave themselves isn't going to work. I do remember my first stay at the Hyatt back in 2006, and I wore earplugs then due to sharing the room with people who wanted to party late at night. Back then I remember it being pretty noisy in the halls due to drunken party goers. I'm not sure if it has gotten worse since in subsequent years. I only came for the day in 2007-2009 and only the past three years have I stayed Thursday-Sat.

Also, I may have misunderstood the part about the gatherings. All I have to go by is the text written. You said to "Also get rid of things like "Dance party/meme" gatherings and general things like "nintendo" or "fighting game". That seemed as though you were saying to remove those gatherings completely because they are in some way irrelevant. I think combining Nintendo's IP's helps since smaller ones, like Earthbound, Star Fox, Donkey Kong don't have their own gatherings, and this gives them a place to go and meetup with their fellow fans.That's just a difference of opinion I guess. Sorry to have misunderstood you on that one.

Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

#134 User is offline   Cricket 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 29983

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:41 PM

View PostreptoJane, on 20 May 2013 - 09:48 PM, said:

Things that were NOT great at ACen 2013:

•Registration lines--continue to be torturous for people who don't get badges early. You are losing new people over this.

•The Exhibit Hall lines were AWFUL. HORRIBLE. HORRIFIC. Sunday--with paid badge customers--the line should not be over 3/4's of a mile long and take over 25 minutes to navigate. I know, because after the 2nd time waiting in line (we left to go to a panel session), I used my bike app to calculate the time and distance!!! If you had to leave to go to a panel, or the bathroom, or to get water... you had to go back to the end of the heinous line to wait. These are people who *already have badges* yet they couldn't get into the hall to buy stuff. Why didn't the Con staff open another set of doors? There were 3 sets of doors there!

Painful Truth:

ACen has outgrown the Rosemont venue. I'm sure you are locked into contracts for a few years, but with the exponential growth of this Con, you need to start planning in significant ways for the future. I honestly do not see how you can continue there for much longer.

1st issue > Registration is still functioning faster than it has EVER functioned before. (Average time from line end to badge 45minutes.) Also realize we jumped 4k in badges from last year. logistically even in a 1 minute turn around for people, when you add 4k people it gets slower.

2nd issue > We didn't have enough people to open the doors and check for badges, secondly opening those doors causes people to want to leave through them *This happens surprisingly more than you think*

Truth > ACen has not outgrown the venue, Wizard world which gets twice the attendance of ACen is still there and functions. do some things need to be shuffled around? Sure. absolutely. But it isn't a venue problem.

IRT Line Control Team Lead '13
IRT Line Control '12
IRT Mid-Shift Commander '11
IRT Mid-Shift Commander '10
IRT Night Shift Supervisor '09
IRT Concerts and Dance Team '08
IRT Escorts '07

#135 User is offline   Allison 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 62710

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:00 PM

As far as the prom and wedding are concerned, I agree with people that the hotel should be more conscientious about not having those the same weekend as ACen. Not only do people not want their special night to be crowded out by an anime convention, I can only imagine the hostile environment created by some drunk high school jocks seeing cosplayers and then mocking them. To some extent, I think weird looks are to be expected, but not everyone is super kind and accepting. Plus, more space is always nice ^^

#136 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:07 PM

In regard to the idea of the weddings and proms, I think the only way to deal with that is to find out at least with the schools what time they are going to have the proms. I do think given the venue and how long in advance some groups do book the convention center that there could be a way to make things work out well for people that are not from ACen? I'm pretty sure that there are some prom goers that might like the strangeness of it. Only thing I can think of is that on the nights of the prom and weddings the con avoid the loud music and try to keep away from the areas that have those events?

Pardon the Pause

#137 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 18292

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:58 PM

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 21 May 2013 - 07:51 PM, said:

Weddings will be booked regardless, the only thing to do in that case is for the hotel to find a way to block the wedding group from the con group.

Pretty sure she was being sarcastic.
The idea is that the entire rosemont area does not belong to the con. So con goers need to not act like it's a personal bubble to act like morons.
I have a Bookface I have a Bird Sound my snark level is over 9000 : ]
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Compa- hyperdimension nep nep
Heather- Silent hill 3
Poison Ivy- Batman

#138 User is offline   Abarero 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 27211

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:46 AM

- Keeping schedules consistent. As a panelist who was going by the times posted on the iphone app, having a staffer come in to tell us we're running over really flustered me. We always try to keep a very keen eye on the times so we don't inconvenience any other panelists. But apparently the panel times were different between print and app versions? Con staff thought we ended at 3pm and we thought via the app we had until 3:15pm. As a suggestion, since I'm sure some of it was last minute changes, can we have the con staffer that checks in with the panelists at the beginning give us the ending time they have on program? Just a quick "We've got your panel down as ending at ____, okay?" type thing so we're all on the same page.

- I know with all the other fun things (prom, wedding, power convention, etc) it really cut into the options for panel room space, but I will definitely encourage finding a way to increase panel room size next year. I know some other conventions are able to pull dividers into extra large ballrooms to give them two large panel rooms and I know in previous years the panel rooms we've had at the Embassy were good sized. I just hate having to turn attendees away from a panel because there is literally no room left for people to come in. The lower level Hyatt rooms are great for video rooms, super small panels and perhaps workshops, but for most panelists I've heard from they just weren't big enough for any normal panels.
~Abarero
ACen 2014 Cosplay:
Zelgadis (Slayers), Masayoshi (Samurai Flamenco)

#139 User is offline   twoFathoms 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 61725

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:29 PM

My biggest gripe was some of the hyatt elevator staff on Sunday as people were trying to leave. I understand it's busy and frustrating for everybody, but some of the staff in the elevators were down right rude. We waited for an hour to get down (we would have taken the stairs but we had too much and nobody to watch our stuff..) which was pretty frustrating but we were polite. We saw a staffer yell at an older woman with a walker who was just trying to get down. She obviously had no way to get down other than the service elevator but nobody (Staff) offered to help her. And because of the 'Downs can only go down' rule she couldn't get down from the 7th Floor.

I think some staffer finally let her get on so she could just get out of there.

Next year I wake up at 6am to get my stuff out of there. ;w;
--
ACen 2014
Saturday: Bee / Bee & Puppycat ; Sailor Mercury / Sailor Moon

#140 User is offline   Manrisa 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 63904

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:50 PM

While I had a great time at this year's ACen, the book was definitely problematic. Panel descriptions being disorganized was the #1 reason I didn't actually see any this year (though it sounds like quite a few had issues getting in anyway.)

The Dealer Room also felt like it closed really early, I'm guessing it had something to do with the convention center itself and not the con, I can't imagine the dealers themselves were very happy seeing paying customers herded out the exit. It clearly needs to close sometime, but 18:30 just felt too early. Less of an effect for me, but the problem was made worse by the hall opening what felt like rather late. I understand it's a lot to ask of the exhibitors and artists to stay longer (especially considering the lack of facilities) but the amount of time available just felt prohibitive.

My biggest complaint is definitely related to the video gaming room. Normally one of the places I spend a huge amount of time, I only stayed for a couple hours the whole weekend and didn't bother returning. The areas around the modern consoles were packed too tight, preventing crowds from watching competitive play and making tournament play extremely tight and uncomfortable. In the future it may be worth it to divide the various sections into nearby rooms, one for arcade, one for modern consoles or tournament games in general, and one for classic gaming. A little more space and the ability to set the floor layout to accomodate the needs of each individually would be really nice.

EDIT: Absolutely minor complaint, but would it be out of the question to setup the forum to use Tapatalk? Makes it much easier to access on mobile and keep track of topics without having to constantly visit or have my email bombarded.

This post has been edited by Manrisa: 22 May 2013 - 02:33 PM

#141 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:40 PM

View PostManrisa, on 22 May 2013 - 01:50 PM, said:

The Dealer Room also felt like it closed really early, I'm guessing it had something to do with the convention center itself and not the con, I can't imagine the dealers themselves were very happy seeing paying customers herded out the exit. It clearly needs to close sometime, but 18:30 just felt too early. Less of an effect for me, but the problem was made worse by the hall opening what felt like rather late. I understand it's a lot to ask of the exhibitors and artists to stay longer (especially considering the lack of facilities) but the amount of time available just felt prohibitive.

Actually, after 8.5 hours at my table I'm glad to see everyone leave so I can get some food and a cold beer. :P

#142 User is offline   Purplegodess 

• MAPS Director & ACen Secretary
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 5803

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:14 PM

View PostJujuFox, on 22 May 2013 - 02:40 PM, said:

Actually, after 8.5 hours at my table I'm glad to see everyone leave so I can get some food and a cold beer. :P/>

The dealers hall has had the same hours for at least the past five years XD
Convention Officer:Secretary 2009-2014
MAPS Director
Artist Alley DH 2007-2008

Live like there is no tomorrow, and dream like you'll live forever...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#143 User is offline   Purplegodess 

• MAPS Director & ACen Secretary
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 5803

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:18 PM

For the next several years the Dealers Hall will be in Hall A of the Convention Center, I personally fee lit is a much easier hall to operate in and navigate, the other one looking like a big tetris block and all.... Water dispensing units were around the Hyatt like before, so I'm assuming people are talking about in the convention center where they are not provided to us other than at restrooms or in the expoteria purchase stations.
Convention Officer:Secretary 2009-2014
MAPS Director
Artist Alley DH 2007-2008

Live like there is no tomorrow, and dream like you'll live forever...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#144 User is offline   glenburg89 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 17536

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:20 PM

This was mentioned already, but the hotel and convention center maps were my main gripe. The current maps look like they're the wrong maps. I believe they should be reworked into something more practical (kinda like the exhibit hall/artist alley map). Also, I almost missed one of Yuu Asakawa's panel because I didn't realize Con Center B was behind the glass doors, left of the Convention center entrance. Thanks to the awesome IRT officer that helped me, I didn't miss it :)

Other than that, 2013 is one of my favorite years.

This post has been edited by glenburg89: 22 May 2013 - 03:22 PM

Anime Central Attendee (2008-Current)

"ACen is like a three day vacation in another world. It's like a filler arc in everyone's life where nothing stressful matters, for that weekend."

#145 User is offline   razzle 

• Registration
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 16738

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:45 PM

I have to reply to this post because as a disabled person I know how your family felt. I stayed at the Hyatt. They had handicap spaces open, granted they do not have many but they are there.
If you happen to run into this same situation again ask the parking lot attendant to call management and I am 99% sure you will get in to get a parking space. I was shocked at how they were demanding money from people to park this year especially when they asked me for cash.
I showed them my parking card and they did not want to honor it at first until I said I will get management down there and the line will not move until someone comes. I was in the lot faster than I could blink after that.
I am very sorry your family had to go through this issue. I think if you have your Dad make a phone call to the hotel management & let them know that their employees were trying to grift people it will help make it stop.
Also (maybe some other Staff can verify this before you call and ask for a refund on parking) if you were a guest at the hotel your parking should have been $17.00 per night not $34.00 this was told to me by the woman parking attendant so again have your parent call the hotel about this issue.

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 20 May 2013 - 05:27 PM, said:

Okay one small gripe here, and I'm not sure why this was done, but I'll put it out.

Friday my family and I came in to park at the Hyatt, we have a disable plate because my father does have a bad back but more for my mother, who has artritus in her ankle and has a hard time walking, and my grandmother who has a bad back and is very old (93 years and counting), however we were not able to park in a handicapped spot due to people taking that space. In the day time I'm not sure how many of those had plates or plaquards, but we wound up on the 6th floor. Fine okay, we can deal with that, though it took us more time to get our stuff to the elevator, mind you we got in at 11 am, managed to get a room (kudos to the lovely people at the desk).

However things got vexing Friday night. I know we paid 34 dollars to park at the hotel, we left for dinner around seven thirty. When we got back roughly at 8:30 from dinner we discovered that the lot was full, and probably not with guests of the hyatt. Apparently, according to what I heard, the hotel was charaging 34 dollars for anyone to park in the lot to pay for the water damages it dealt with? Is this true? Then there was the issue of non handicapped people parking in handicapped spaces, we were lucky enough that the attendent for valet let us park in the valet space, after my father was driving around for an hour looking for a space. I know there is space across the way at the DESCC, and also by the CTA line, and Free parking at a garage farther out, but, if we're going to pay 300 or more dollars to stay at a hotel I do expect to have parking space.

Would it be too much to ask for the hyatt to have stickers issued for people renting the hotel rooms and allowing only those that were staying at the hotel to park there? Or have someone go around the parking garage and ticket or move the cars that are not handicapped from their impropper spaces, because the fact that there was no spaces at all for those that were disabled is really unacceptable. My dad was thinking of driving home, even though he paid the money to park in the lot.

#146 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:47 PM

View PostPurplegodess, on 22 May 2013 - 03:18 PM, said:

For the next several years the Dealers Hall will be in Hall A of the Convention Center, I personally fee lit is a much easier hall to operate in and navigate, the other one looking like a big tetris block and all.... Water dispensing units were around the Hyatt like before, so I'm assuming people are talking about in the convention center where they are not provided to us other than at restrooms or in the expoteria purchase stations.

Glad to hear we're back in Hall A again! I didn't mind the layout, but getting in and out of Hall A is so much easier. I also liked how registration was in it's own room this year.

There were no drinking fountains that I could find by the bathrooms or elsewhere in Hall F. The bathroom faucets were often heated, so getting drinking water there was kinda gross. I love tea, but plain warm water just isn't right. That was my main gripe since I had to exit the hall to go to the drinking fountain in the lobby whenever we had to refill our water bottles.

#147 User is offline   davebb 

• EMRT
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11282

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:26 PM

Yup dealer hall if I remember has always been the same and I tend to watch that, as that was the time I had to worry about less calls and I could just monitor the registration line for medical issues.

View PostPurplegodess, on 22 May 2013 - 03:14 PM, said:

The dealers hall has had the same hours for at least the past five years XD

Medic 6 : ACen 2014 EMRT ConCenter Supervisor (serving since 2008)
Dave Bukowski -- NREMT-B
EMT-B / EMA
"ask not what ACen can do for you--ask what you can do for ACen"

#148 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:48 PM

My only gripe had to do with panel programming this year--rooms are NOT big enough for the volume of people that want to go to panels. For example, I went to many panels this year (or tried to) and was denied because it was full. My gripe is why have rooms for panels that only hold 40 people when the convention had 24,000 people (guestimate) last year, and probably so many more this year (I'm guessing 27,000). That just blew my mind. And I'm a huge panel goer, and it was very hard to get into one panel to the next because they were full already. I would sit through one panel, then go to the next, but I couldn't because there is no room. I think that maybe we try to get more rooms/have more standing room/get bigger rooms for panels. Maybe even go to other hotels too? I know it's sort of a hassle, but if it's needed (especially the bigger ones, like speed dating) that's a good alternative. Though I don't know how all that organizing works--so I'm just throwing out ideas.

That also leads to my other gripe (I think linlindesu also said this) is more adult programming (18+ stuff) and night programming. Soap Bubble and Hardcore is cool, but I personally don't really go to them (and know many people that don't) and I want to do more at ACen at night then go to a few panels (if I can get into them) and perhaps more viewing rooms? I really think the big thing ACen needs to work on is just more programming at night that's suitable for all ages and also 18+. What about a giant viewing of the original Poke'mon series? Or a huge "Let's start Dragonball and go all night and see how far we get!" or something. I feel that the night life is more focused on Soap Bubble and Hardcore Synergy, when I don't think it should--it should be focused on the variety of things to do. I think more things should be going on, so it seems there is more than just a few things to do at night. I love the ACen night life, but I really just want more options of stuff to do in case things get full/not want to go to the dances. I hope I make sense ^^;.
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#149 User is offline   jenchan 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 30

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:42 AM

Main programming events and guest panels were not in the program guide. The signing schedule wasn't in there either.

Had a difficult time finding the Yuu Asakawa Panel on Friday, as there was no signs or specifics on where the panel was. Those of us without a smartphone (with the guidebook app) were lost when it came to main programming. The locations of Con A B and C were non existent on the map in the program book. Also, the staff members that we asked seemed to knew little about the Yuu Asakawa panel, and when we got over to the area where the con a, b c, panel rooms where they were JUST setting up the signs for the rooms. It found it very interesting and confusing that main programming was a separate department from panel programming? Why wasn't any of the guest panels listed in the main programming schedule on the Program Guide?

Cosplay photo shoots: Please list them as a time grid in addition to an alphabetical list.

Kalafina Concert ticket pickup:
The Rosemont Theatre Box Office will be open the following hours to purchase and pick up Kalafina concert tickets:
Thursday, May 16 11:00am - 7:00pm
Friday, May 17 11:00am - 8:45pm

However, ON Friday, the box office closed at 7pm. There was no staff member present at the venue with information on how ticket pickup was going to work, so we were a bit confused as to how to proceed. The doors didn't open until 7:45pm, and then we were not seated until 8pm. Door were supposed to open an hour ahead of time...
Jenn
President of Japanese Anime People of Chicago, a local, independent Chicagoland anime club.
website- MyAnimeList - Tumblr
Probably the oldest member of the ST☆RISH fanclub.
Prince of Tennis ACen Cosplay Group Network on FACEBOOK

#150 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:32 AM

My biggest gripe is not actually for the con itself. Dat Hyatt hotel room. Two mornings, the keycards had stopped working but I believe that is because of the wonky reservation this year. One day, the TV absolutely would not shut off. Went to sleep with it on. Had to have an engineer come up to fix it.

What was nice was the cheaper payment for parking. Four nights with in/out for $51, get out. That came out to $12.75 per night. Not sure why but we'll take it.

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users