Anime Central Forums: Wig Transport! - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Wig Transport! What's the safest way to transport wigs?

#1 User is offline   Lightstar45 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 63107

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:19 PM

What's the best way to transport wigs to conventions? My wig is styled to be curly and my sister's wig is very delicate, a heavy bun being held on by not very much at all. What's the safest way for us to get them to our hotel? Do we just put them in our suitcase? Do we put them in bags? We don't have any wig manikins. Help is much appreciated! <3
"It is a miracle for any two like-minded people to meet within the chaotic flux...That's why forging bonds and relationships is a form of happiness...That is the root cause of...the joys of being alive..."

-Aigis "Persona 3 FES"

#2 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 33629

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:33 PM

Don't jam them in your suitcase! Depending on how huge the curls are, you can put it in a wig bag, or a plastic bag or what have you. Put it in there nicely. Idk just how delicate your sister's is but I'd say go with a "wig head". Go buy one. They sell foam wig heads at hobby lobby for cheap.

Or just wear them, whatever. That's what I'm doing to get mine there.

This post has been edited by Kii: 11 May 2013 - 08:34 PM

Damn Thread's fearless leaderReluctant Member of the Little Maids CorpsUGUU~
ACen 2013 Cosplay: LOL whatever I manage to throw together at this point...-_-;;

#3 User is offline   cactusmomma 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 3528

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:38 PM

Even using a big styrofoam ball from Michaels (Coupon app!) or a shoebox is better than nothing!

#4 User is offline   KnitChick 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 9629

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:49 PM

Sally Beauty Supply has wig heads for I believe around $3. Trust me, it'll help SOOOOO much with getting the wig ready to go on your head!! Then what I usually do is I have a big open tote (I have many from different stores - the $1-2 reusable totes) and I stand the wig head in that.
Special Needs and Compliance staff for ACen! Come see us in the Hyatt Grand Boardroom!!
C2E2 2015: Doctor Leonard McCoy, Agent Jemma Simmons, either Gambit or Shadowcat
ACen 2015: GoGo Tomago, Doctor Leonard McCoy, Rowdy Roddy Piper

Member of Team GEEK for the Norridge/Harwood Heights Relay for Life! Please join us or donate!
Ninja on the Glomp Team! Member of the Crossplay Alliance! / My blog / My pictures! (Flickr)
Resident Ghostbusters, Doctor Who, Firefly, Quantum Leap, Transformers, Harry Potter, Highlander, Girl Genius, Super Sentai and Nerima Daikon Brothers obsessor!

#5 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 18090

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:04 PM

When I had to carry my styled Witch hunter robin wig (see link in sig) I used a wig head to keep the wig in place, and then set it in a box. Sure, it made for extra stuff to carry but the wig survived the trip.
As for the curls, mainly to keep them from getting squished, I would suggest getting sponge rollers or some kind of rollers from the dollar store. (they don't need to actually work in YOUR hair, they are just to keep the curls from LOSING their curl)You can also use the tip below (my general wig packing tip)

And for anyone who is transporting a non styled/long/straight etc wig, I always suggest putting it in the hair net it comes in, then placing it in a ziploc bag. Then close the zipper ALMOST all the way so that there is a small opening, Roll the bag tightly TOWARD the hole to push out excess air. Zip the bag the rest of the way. This gives you an almost vacuum-sealed bag which prevents the wig from shifting around and tangling.
A-Cen 2015: Sailor Luna (PGSM) / Fish Mooney (Gotham TV Series) / Anthy (Revolutionary Girl Utena) / Fluttershy (My Little Pony: FIM)

(No Photos)A-cen 2014: Angewomon (Digimon) //// Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) //// Hikaru (Angelic Layer)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2013: Pocahontas //// Raven (Teen Titans TV Series)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2009:Diva(Final Battle) //// Sailor Pluto //// Edward Elric
The Official "Forum Kitten", A Rini Fangirl, TekoMuto fan

#6 User is offline   Gherkin 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 60961

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:27 PM

For curly wigs I've traveled with the wig in rollers. LOL. It was a 52inch white wig and I had to heat set it every night to keep the curls in it. For anything with an easier or severe style you can pad the head with tissue paper and set it in a box in your suitcase. Let the box protect if from all the other stuff you've crushed in there. Don't forget to bring your styling products for last minute touch ups.

#7 User is offline   kukie 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 62810

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:09 AM

If the wig is long I like to braid it and then if it's not heavily styled I will stick it in the ziplock bag it usually came with and just toss it in my suitcase. Shorter wigs I will flip the wig inside out and then stick it in the bag and then suitcase. For a heavy duty styled wig (like if it's stubbed, has styrofoam, or has gravity defying whatnots), I like to place it on a wig head of some sort and place a plastic grocery bag over it and gently place it in my overnight bag.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users