• You cannot reply to this topic

Glomp Clause

#1 User is offline   cactusmomma 

• Costume Events Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 3528

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:53 PM

As an official word straight from the Masquerade Department: If you disregard any requests to not hug/glomp/touch someone and/or get makeup/marker/any sort of foreign substance on a person and/or their clothing, you are subject to liability and can be held to charges of assault and battery. At the very least, IRT can pull your badge. Please do NOT do this. You are not being funny or cute, you're being a jerk.. Think about what would happen if this were your own cosplay that you put in a lot of money, time, and effort into? How would you feel about it? You can't say you wouldn't care, because I can assure you, you would...especially if your explicit requests were being ignored. This is an invasion of personal space, personal property..and will NOT be tolerated under any circumstance. I do not care if they're cosplaying your mortal enemy, your waifu, your husbando, or your sempai. They're people, they're human, and this is a convention; a small vacation away from your home where nerds can gather to share a hobby.. NOT a fictional high school in Tokyo. If someone is invading your personal bubble, please speak up. If you can get what the person's badgename was, GREAT. Remember details of what they were wearing and their companions if you can. Come to the masquerade office, we will walk with you to IRT and help get them tracked down. We will not take any of this lightly. Every single one of you costumers are part of our jumbled-up, broken and huge o'hana.

Thank you.

-cactusmomma

#2 User is offline   Nikku 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 61480

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:39 PM

It's kind of sad when you have to tell people to not be "stupid"..is that a good term for it? I mean. Guh, just...Guh.
ACen 2014 cosplays Hirano kouta-H.O.T.D Sith Lord (maybe?) 2 ton 21, Monarch chief Henchman.

#3 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 33629

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:37 PM

:highfive:

Damn Thread's fearless leaderReluctant Member of the Little Maids CorpsUGUU~
ACen 2013 Cosplay: LOL whatever I manage to throw together at this point...-_-;;

#4 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:39 PM

"You are not being funny or cute, you're being a jerk."

I loled at this line. So true.
Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#5 User is offline   cactusmomma 

• Costume Events Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 3528

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:57 PM

After seeing at least 2 posts that involved this sort of matter on tumblr in the past three days.. I really did not want to have to make this post. Really, people?

#6 User is offline   Grimmons 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 18620

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:20 PM

It's sad that it needs to come to this, but a lot of us are grateful for this post.
ACen 2014

Bilbo Baggins
Yu Yu Hakusho - Hiei
Wizard of Oz/Oz the Great and Powerful - Wicked Witch

#7 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:54 PM

I guess some people will take this as a challenge and act accordingly. :/

#8 User is offline   Gabichox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59269

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:11 PM

More than anything, it's nice to know that IRT can pull badges and that something actually will be done to those types of people.
Thanks
ACen 2014 cosplay;
Donald Duck - [Thursday]
Elf - Dragon's Crown [Friday]
Agnès Oblige!Freelancer - Bravely Default [Saturday]

#9 User is offline   Nikku 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 61480

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:17 PM

and here it was last year people making talk on the forums of making posse's to handle con creepers
ACen 2014 cosplays Hirano kouta-H.O.T.D Sith Lord (maybe?) 2 ton 21, Monarch chief Henchman.

#10 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 18090

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:41 PM

While I generally don't have a problem with random hugs, I have had some that were uncomfortable or dangerous. Once I was glopmed while going up some stairs and the only warning I had was "EDWARD! GET HIM!" If I had worse balance, I could have easily fallen back on them and gone tumbling down the steps WITH them. The other time was a "cat-girl' hug that I received in a crowded hallway from behind. Granted the guy was respectful in where he touched (he didn't grab anything, did a light hug and only put his hands on my shoulders) but it pissed off my BF at the time and shocked me because I didn't know what was going on.

I have seen a lot of people get really aggravated when a random person hugs them and it's not even always about the cosplay as it is the general idea of stranger hugging.

Asking first....it's all you have to do people...

So thanks IRT for making a stand with this.
A-Cen 2014 Cosplay (links are of me): Angewomon (Digimon) / Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) / Hikaru (Angelic Layer) /
CURRENTLY SELLING ANIME/MANGA/WALLSCROLLS! PM FOR MORE INFORMATION!
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2013: Pocahontas //// Raven (Teen Titans TV Series)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2009:Diva(Final Battle) //// Sailor Pluto //// Edward Elric
The Official "Forum Kitten", A Rini Fangirl, TekoMuto fan

#11 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 28448

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:24 AM

I know I'm a little late to the party in posting this, but just thought I'd also mention that some people are trained in martial arts of one form or another and that if someone comes at them, especially from behind, their first instinct is to counter attack, even if it is just a hug and meant in good fun; I'm saying this as someone who has a friend who LOVES hugs, and if you ask she will give you one, but she always makes a point of warning people that if they sneak up on her her first response will be to hurt you.

The moral of the story is that glomping is bad for everyone and just shouldn't be done.
Cosplay 2012: Mitsuki Saya (Black Cat), Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai)
Cosplay 2013: Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai) I didn't have my camera; please send me pictures! ;A;

"A blank piece of paper is God's way of telling us how hard it is to be God."
-Sidney Sheldon

#12 User is offline   Ervyla 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 59380

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:56 PM

I'm not trying to start anything but, isn't part of martial arts training the ability to control that impulse?
Rosalina (Super Mario Galaxy) 2010
Malon (Legend of Zelda - OOT) 2011
River Song (Doctor Who) 2012
OC 2013
Zora Link ( Legend of Zelda - Twilight Princess) 2014
Redo Zora Link (LoZ - TP)
and Lorelei (Pokemon) 2015

#13 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 28448

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:07 PM

I don't take any kind of martial art, so I don't know, but I have heard many people say the same thing. My assumption is that the idea is that while impulse control is important, in an actual combat situation if someone is coming at you from behind you don't necessarily have the time to think about anything other than protecting yourself. =/
Cosplay 2012: Mitsuki Saya (Black Cat), Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai)
Cosplay 2013: Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai) I didn't have my camera; please send me pictures! ;A;

"A blank piece of paper is God's way of telling us how hard it is to be God."
-Sidney Sheldon

#14 User is offline   Fantasia 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 63205

Posted 16 March 2014 - 03:46 PM

AMEN TO THAT.
if you're wearing bodypaint...SEAL YOUR DAMN PAINT.
and don't glomp. some people bite :U
ACen COSPLAYS 2014:

Imp Midna LoZ Twilight Princess
Crona
Mirai Kuriyama

#15 User is offline   OhSoChibi 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 65184

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:28 PM

I've heard this is a problem with people who are wearing a full faced mask. They can't see to the sides or behind them so when people glomp them from behind it scares them because they can't see who or what is going on.
oнѕocнιвι

αnímє cєntrαl 2014

υтaυloιd тeтo

#16 User is offline   Lulu_Lynn 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 59874

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:15 PM

It's great to see this post in the thread. My first ACen was back in '03 and while I was in cosplay in the dealer's room, a costumed woman came up, glomped me, and grabbed my butt. I am not certain it was intentional, but it was definitely upsetting. Glad to see this is being taken seriously and that there are ways to handle the situation now.

#17 User is offline   The Chainmail Guy 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 61314

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:36 PM

It's a sad state that this is necessary. Personally, I don't care about random hugs, but I know some people do, and it's really not that hard to show them some courtesy. Unless I know the person, I always make myself visible to them before hugging, and I give a two second or less pause with my arms spread so they know my intent and have a chance to decline. Two seconds is all it takes. You don't even necessarily have to exchange words. Just two seconds people.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users