• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Was ACen 2012 really that bad?

#1 User is offline   unknownwarrior33 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 63489

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:34 PM

I attended in 2011 but missed last year. I've been reading these forums and it seems like things really went to hell last year. Things being cancelled 2 hours after they were supposed to start, inconsistent rules on lining up, litter everywhere, etc. There will always be whiners of course, and every topic about a big event will have at least one comment of "oh, I've been doing such-and-such for the last 30 years but sadly it's changed and I won't go this year" (as if anyone cares what these people think). But compared to my experience in 2011, it sounds like things were pretty bad. Was it really that bad, or are people just complaining for nothing?

#2 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 56275

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:41 PM

For my personally, I didn't have any issues. Yeah, I was a bit annoyed with guest signings, but that's always a complaint for me. The MAIN complaint last year was that a good chunk of the masquerade got canceled due to being behind schedule, and on top of that, some idiot pulled a fire alarm, thinking they were funny. that was the main gripe, but it didn't affect me personally so...mostly depends on what you like to spend your time doing at cons. I mopstly stay in the dealer hall/artist alley and hit up photoshoots, so I was unaffected.
ACen 2014 Schedule
Friday: Meloetta [Pokemon]
Saturday: Umi Ryuuzaki [Magic Knight Rayearth]
Sunday: Sytry Cartwright Demon Attire [Devils and Realist]

Add me on Facebook! Washu Takashi Cosplay

#3 User is offline   TheStrongJaeger 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 307

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:01 PM

No, it wasn't. Other than the masquerade being cut short due to fire alarm I didn't see any issues and that it was as good as ever. But the masquerade was a No-Win situation; no matter what they did there was going to be a lot of pissed off people.
All systems... GO!

#4 User is offline   Sayuri-chan 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 3228

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:10 PM

It was a lot of things that added up that we all had thought that Anime Central had worked on and were going to fix. Like Washu said, the big thing that got everyone was the cancellation of the masquerade. People work long and hard on skits and costumes to debut them at Anime Central, but to have it cancelled for a second dance (the Soap Bubble), was something that generally was looked down upon. It started late to begin with, and with the fire alarm fiasco, it just pushed it even later, and the higher ups made the executive decision to cancel the masquerade and start the soap bubble. Personally, I think it was in bad taste considering the personal man power of the attendees involved to just cancel it altogether, but that road has been traveled and I'll say no more on it. I think last year was just a combination of a lot of small things that finally came to a head when the masq. was canceled, such as the very poor handling of autograph lines, photoshoots that were getting COMPLETELY out of hand, etc. There were some major issues that ACen had last year that we were assured wouldn't be issues, and it all just compounded to what became a not very fun convention. There are some who were unaffected by some of the issues, but there were many more that were. It just personally wasn't all that fun for me, and I had more memories and good times with my friends in our hotel room than I did at the actual convention. I am hoping that this year will be different, but I'm not going to be surprised if it isn't. I realize this is a poor attitude to take towards a place that is supposed to be fun, but I've been attending this particular convention since 2005, and I've seen it's ups and downs. Recently, it's been more down than anything. But who knows? Maybe this year will be different.
♥ ACen REG STAFF: 2005-2008 ♥
♥ Persona owns my soul. Proud to be a member of the UYFA! Proud Supporter of the I.R.T.!
"The Chumps" are back to entertain and amuse. Come join us Friday, in Panel Room 4 from 12:30-2:45pm, and Saturday/Sunday in Panel Room 12, from 12:45-3:15a.
Cosplay for 2014 ACen:|Skull Kid--LOZ: Majora's Mask/0% complete|||Genkai-Yuu Yuu Hakusho/100% complete|||Sir Integra Fairbrook Wingates Hellsing-Hellsing Ultimate Abridged Ver./75% complete
Current quote: "Costumes, I need to do that still...Costumes, I need to do that still...Costumes, I need to do that still..."
Current blurb: はい、少し日本語を話します。たのしすぎる! ♪♫♪♫音楽が大好き!♪♫♪♫

#5 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:20 PM

Various issues came about, I think one thing that may have caused it too was the fact that at least one music act wasn't all that responsible or something like that. The masq issue that upset a lot of people, and then there was the fire alarm. On top of that there was the whole issue with some one claiming to be with the staff hijacking photoshoots, an issue with a photoshoot near the video programing room, some hotel stuff going on regarding the other hotels, and I think the cold weather screwed things up for some and also the date being in april which made it harder for others as finals were coming up for them, so you have that problems as well, ie. too much stress.

I'm sure this year will come out better. Hopefully next year will be too.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#6 User is offline   feuerwerke 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 63062

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:28 PM

Pretty sure the main issue was the masquerade, since it's apparently one of the most important events to attendees. The masquerade-related issues (fire alarm getting pulled, etc) also cut into the Soap Bubble (but of course this led to Soap Bubble attendees being attacked and called the problem, it was quite a disaster...)
ACen 2014 cosplays
  • Junko Enoshima

#7 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:28 PM

I heard various things that there may have been a group in the line for the Soap bubble shouting or something. I also heard that the music act went on for too long or something. I wish we had some more insight into this as a whole so that attendees could help out, since more heads are better then a smathering.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#8 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:55 PM

Personally, it was my worst year by a mile.

#9 User is offline   Gabichox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 59269

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:30 PM

As someone said, it really depends on how you spent your time at the con and what personally affected you. To some people, the masquerade business didn't really mean anything. To others it was the biggest let down and made 2012 really that bad; considering they worked hard on their skit, wasted their Saturday waiting to perform and were told they couldn't.

I really only paid attention to what LM.C was doing last year and even they had problems. They had to start like 2 hours later because other music groups(?)/programming before them started later. So that meant that the dance afterwards was also forced to start later which meant those people were blaming it on LM.C. It was bad.
I won't even address the line issue because I've complained about it over and over. All I can say is thank god for the Rosemont Theater being used so IRT can't yell at only some people to start a new line and let that group of girls lining up hours before they were supposed to keep their place.

Also with the photoshoots... that schedule got messed up too with people hijacking shoots so other groups that weren't responsible for that mishap were getting the heat.

I know you gotta expect the unexpected with schedules being changed but... Last year was kind of ridiculous.
ACen 2014 cosplay;
Donald Duck - [Thursday]
Elf - Dragon's Crown [Friday]
Agnès Oblige!Freelancer - Bravely Default [Saturday]

#10 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:36 PM

For us it was the fire alarm that really put a damper on the weekend. Of course it was not the fault of the convention and its staff that it happened. It's how it was handled by IRT, the hotel staff, and the Rosemont PD/FD and the lack of communication and error in directions from all three that was the main problem we experienced.

It happened around 7 pm and through the confusion I almost got separated from my husband while being herded by IRT. I was pretty upset just because of that. The hotel staff just stood around acting as if nothing was wrong, but ACen staff were frantically evacuating people. We weren't sure if we should leave or not. PD told us to go back in, but IRT pushed us back. They gave us the okay and let us back inside, but after we got in we had to go back out to get our food and found that we were let in before the real all clear was given. Then everybody flooded into the hotel as we pushed our way back out to find our delivery driver.

It's hard to get over a debacle like that, and I'm sure there are many other stories people experienced similar to ours. Not to mention the fact that some people may have just come for Saturday, and to have that happen could ruin your whole evening and your overall ACen 2012 experience.

Overall it was actually a pretty good ACen for us, but it's hard to forget that one bad experience we had on Saturday night.
Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#11 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 33629

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:00 PM

For me? Yes, it was kind of bad. Multiple signings were cut down to 50 people, which is reasonable, but nobody told us until we had been standing there for about 2 hours. Another signing had the time changed and the only thing they told me was "oh well we changed it in the app", but I didn't have a smart phone so I was SOL, and has been standing there for a while with many others waiting for the same person
. Same with a couple panels being moved and the IRT was not informed.

Photoshoots were all over the place, and due to weather a lot had to be moved inside and either loom over other shoots until they were done or in the case of the one I was at, be crammed into a tiny room.

As usual, picking up a badge took an eternity, and they opened up the line about an hour late.

However, I really do feel that the staff has worked really hard this year to improve these things. Especially with the photoshoots there is now a "in case of rain" location that will not be taken by another group in that given time slot. And aside from the guest list being really late this year, I believe the GR dept underwent a pretty big change and they are trying pretty hard to get people everyone wants to see.

Damn Thread's fearless leaderReluctant Member of the Little Maids CorpsUGUU~
ACen 2013 Cosplay: LOL whatever I manage to throw together at this point...-_-;;

#12 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 33629

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:11 PM

lol whoops

This post has been edited by Kii: 10 May 2013 - 08:12 PM

Damn Thread's fearless leaderReluctant Member of the Little Maids CorpsUGUU~
ACen 2013 Cosplay: LOL whatever I manage to throw together at this point...-_-;;

#13 User is offline   mer2329 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 29293

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:13 PM

i toughly enjoyed myself.
some people people thought it fun to pull the fire alarm in one of the hotels (i believe it happened more than once, only found out at the complaint session and closing ceremonies). i was staying at a hotel not affiliated with anime central. i payed 95 a day for 2 people (non refundable, pre pay in full).
True Words of Wisdom
Those Who Fall Asleep In Fruit Drink
Often Gets Punch in Nose

#14 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 9384

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:30 PM

Actually, last year was one of my favorite acens. Meeting masashi hamauzu and having mitsuto suzuki want my picture was epic.

Tho the masq thing....yeah. I'll leave it be. It was a catch 22, but i feel both shoulda shared time. Not the soap bubble take it's time...and THEN some. Enough on that.

I enjoyed last year.
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
Zero Escape 2: Virtue's Last Reward-Sigma
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

#15 User is offline   Green Dragon 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 7168

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:27 PM

There is something with anniversaries that seem to plague this con. 10th anniversary (2007) half of the IRT staff up and quit the week before the con. 15th anniversary (2012) the fire alarm/Masquerade fiasco, plus Anime Hell, being a guaranteed 3000+ attendance moved to a room that holds about 1000 people wasn't fun either. Hopefully with this con being touted as the "Sweet 16th" won't come back with problems to bite it in the butt.
Anime Central Cosplay History

* ACen '04, '05, '06: Nicholas D. Wolfwood - ACen '07: Gendo Ikari / Bryan Fury
* ACen '08: Gendo Ikari / Capt. Aizen Sousuke - ACen '09: Gendo Ikari / Daisuke Jigen
* ACen '11: Tom Baker, Fourth Doctor - ACen '12: Fourth Doctor / Capt. Aizen Sousuke
* ACen '13: Capt. Kyouraku Shunsui - ACen '14: Kiba (Wolf's Rain) / Ninth Doctor

#16 User is offline   slinkysan 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 20384

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:02 PM

Yeah, I gotta the whole fire alarm thing was the big downer of last year. I had just sat down for a panel when it went off. I did get to meet a really cool older and we chatted about My Little Pony until everyone was let back in though. I went back to the panel but the panelists themselves never came back :(.

But I could see why they had to cut the Masquerade short. If my guess is correct, they probably had a dedicated staff to set the audio equipment and lights for the Soap Bubble. There's a good chance that those were Union people from IATSE, the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees. I have limited experience working with a different chapter of IATSE, and it was probably far most cost effective for the convention staff to simply start the set-up as planned. If you tell the union a start time for all of them members to be there but the actual start time gets pushed back (let's say an hour), you still have to pay everyone for that hour they were there waiting. And with the possibility that these union workers were specialized for a specific task (like a high level electrician or rigger), their time would cost more.

But I'm just guessing on their set-up staff here, just based on my experience with setting up events like this.
(To the ACen Staff, am I guessing right?)
2013 Cosplays
Friday: Moonstuck Woona
Saturday: Princess Luna

2014 Cosplay
Friday: Rule 63 Big Mac
Saturday: Princess Luna

#17 User is offline   Tiny Dangerous 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 61359

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:45 PM

I had a pretty great time last year too. But like most of you, the fire alarm incident was a real downer. But while they were setting up and seating people, everyone seemed to be having a good time- Just glad to finally be getting in. People made a great effort to not let the night be ruined by a little set back, and I really appreciated that. I was really looking forward to the Masq, and was shocked to hear that a convention I'd heard such great things about was running so far behind schedule. I still can't believe they didn't scoot the Soap Bubble back for the Masq to go on, but I digress. The panels were a mess, too. Out of the 15 panels I had planned to go to, I only got into 3. Most were canceled and no one alerted anyone about it, and it was beyond frustrating. Some panels didn't account for a lot of people showing up, and only twenty out of at least a hundred people were allowed in due to fire code restrictions. Myself and a group of people sat in one room for at least an hour after the panel was supposed to start, only to have some guy wander in and say "Why are you guys in here? The person who was supposed to run this panel isn't coming".

I sincerely hope this year will be better, and more organized.

#18 User is offline   Sapphy 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11260

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:32 PM

View PostTiny Dangerous, on 14 May 2013 - 12:45 PM, said:

Myself and a group of people sat in one room for at least an hour after the panel was supposed to start, only to have some guy wander in and say "Why are you guys in here? The person who was supposed to run this panel isn't coming".

Hah, this reminds me of a story from way back in... ...2000? Somewhere around then, anyhow. I think it was before ACen moved into the Hyatt.

I don't know how much truth there was too the guy's statement since I didn't stick around, but I just remember going into an ADV panel and being told by a flabbergasted man that the ADV guys just didn't show and people were just sticking around hoping someone would show up to lead the panel.

I never really got the full story on that one.
Liked what you saw at ACen? Happy Hatpire Designs has an Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/hatpire
Follow me on tumblr! http://hatpire.tumblr.com
Also, check out my DeviantArt: http://hatpire.deviantart.com

#19 User is offline   manga1 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 53231

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:39 PM

It was not too bad all and all, they had lots of guests unlike this year, and lots of differant cosplays, as well as getting to take part in my first photoshoot with my blood + cosplay as david, and getting to meet johnny yong bosh, at the signing and as him and band were getting ready to leave, and of course seeing the todd haberkorn and vic mignoga film, as well as getting to go to the sunday morning with vic mignoga, shareing faith and learning the answere to two of my questions about him, like his dad, his faith growing up, and as well as learning about his time as a police officer before becoming a voice actor, and performer full time, also there was meeting samurai dan and jill I finaly got to see after two years of waiting, and seeing angelic pretty but sadly not able to get an autograph, and then loosing my autograph book at the masquarde :angry:
and having it cut short and no skits, and having irt come after me because I took a few pics of the set of iruma reoka :angry: , and waiting in line an hour and not even getting an autograph for some of the ones I went to.

however I got to see how hard Jon the head of the masq dept tried to work my time in dispite my music not working went to down load it himself and give me enough time to do some of my dance, which in the intrest in fairness I did not do due to the time everyone else had to cut, I was going to do the whole thriller dance which I had practiced for a whole year, me just doing a walk on turned out to be a blessing in disguise as the skits were just walked across and did not get to do any of their stuff, many really good ones too.

#20 User is offline   jay41889 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 62669

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:16 PM

ACen 2013 kinda lacked compared to 2013 the arcade sucked anime hell was once again pushed into the tiny ballroom with two tiny butt screens basically this year was worst cuz the guest list sucked big time
ACen 2010,11,12,13,14

#21 User is offline   youth 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 22

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:51 PM

View Postjay41889, on 19 May 2013 - 09:16 PM, said:

ACen 2013 kinda lacked compared to 2013 the arcade sucked anime hell was once again pushed into the tiny ballroom with two tiny butt screens basically this year was worst cuz the guest list sucked big time

I don't know about the english side but Yuu Asakawa is a veteran with several major roles & Kalafina is big for doing themes of several very popular anime. I would say the list was bit light, but the guest relations people already know it.
g'day
youth

#22 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 60452

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:27 AM

I loved 2012. Seems like a few people didn't have fun for whatever reasons may be (and I'm sorry to hear) but overall I can't complain too much. I guess the only bad thing of 2012 was the fire alarm and the canceling of the Masquerade. It sucks and I feel bad for all those who attended or worked hard to attend but as negative as this may sound, it didn't directly effect me.

This post has been edited by STVO: 20 May 2013 - 01:28 AM

STVO: Facebook ACen Regular, 2013 Hellfire Challenge Champ!
Visit my Site STVO Universe
Fan on Facebook, Follow on Twitter, Subscribe on YouTube
Tentative ACen 2014 Cosplays Plans:
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users