• This topic is locked

Music in the hallways

#1 User is offline   DrivebyKitty 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 16926

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:48 AM

Hello all,

I wanted to get some input on playing music in the lobby or possibly outdoors.
I've done this in the past inside the hotel and have had mixed responses from IRT and hotel staff.

From what I have been told, it seems that it is ok to play music as long as you are not blocking any traffic from getting around the hotel.
What I want to do is set up a collapsible table to hold my laptop, a midi controller and two speakers. Volume won't be too loud - I would keep it at a respectable volume.
My question is:

Are there any good spots to do this that I won't have any issues?
Last year I setup at the top of the escalators (to the right along the glass barrier) and had no issues until it got later and was told to wrap it up - which I did no problem.

This year I want to do it as legit as possible so I don't cause any problems.

Also if I could get some feedback from you dance-a-holics whether or not this would interest you, that would be awesome.

Thanks everyone :)

#2 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:03 AM

When I saw "hallways", I instantly thought somewhere near where rooms are located and that wouldn't fly. Seeing as you are discussing the lobby, well that makes more sense.

#3 User is offline   DrivebyKitty 

• Pip

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:08 AM

I should have said lobby..... :lol:

#4 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 591

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:29 AM

Unfortunately, this kind of question is really hard to answer definitively. You've already got the gist of our policy, which is essentially "We're cool with it, as long as it's not disturbing non-convention guests and it's not creating a crowd control situation." We are, after all, not the fun police. (I know, right?)

What this boils down to, though, is that anywhere you set up will be okay, until it's not, which is not a satisfying answer. Unfortunately, I can't give you a good place to set up, because I've seen crowds everywhere in our space, but if you found a place that worked well for you last year, it should be much the same this year.
Eli "Rabbi" Morris-Heft: IRT Assistant Department Head
SecDiv Dispatch 2004, IRT Communications ADH 2005-06, IRT Dispatch Supervisor 2007-2010, IRT Dispatch Commander 2011, IRT ADH 2012-, IT Senior Sysadmin 2007-2011, ACen Clergy, 2004-

"Two-three the count with nobody on / He hit a high fly into the stands / Roundin' third, he was headed for home / It was a brown-eyed handsome man (that won the game) / It was a brown-eyed handsome man." (Brown-Eyed Handsome Man by Chuck Berry)

I <3 People Who <3 IRT!Want to help make IRT even better? Apply next year!

#5 User is offline   DrivebyKitty 

• Pip

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:35 AM

That's a fair answer. I kind of expected it just based off of what I've been told in the past.
So I guess I'll try my luck setting up above the escalators again.
Maybe I can tuck myself in the corner over by the bar so that there is ample room for people to get by.

Thanks Rabbi!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users