Anime Central Forums: Funimation Sues an Anime Con for bootleg sales - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Funimation Sues an Anime Con for bootleg sales It was only a matter of time for this...

#1 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:29 AM

Anyone else see this? Funimation Sues Anime Con

Funimation is suing the convention AnimeLand Wasabi in Denver, CO for bootleg sales in their dealer's hall. Honestly I say good for them--I'm sorry but if you sell bootlegs at your convention--AND NOT DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT...that's a problem. I know ACen has a policy on this, but I just thought it was interesting seeing this, and I'm glad some action has been taken. Any thoughts?

Though I am wondering...what is ACen's official policy on bootleg dealers/what are the consequences? I'm merely wanting to know for curiosity...not trying to sell bootlegs lol. XD
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#2 User is offline   Snow_Storm 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 58697

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:16 PM

View PostSnow_Storm, on 04 May 2013 - 02:16 PM, said:

They'll kidnap you and your entire family at night and will toture every last one of you if you sell bootlegs. True story, I heard it on the internet, so you know it's legit.

Most likely, if you sell bootlegs or something, the convention will blacklist you and never do business with you again. That's just my theory.

View PostGITS SAC Motoko, on 04 May 2013 - 11:29 AM, said:

Though I am wondering...what is ACen's official policy on bootleg dealers/what are the consequences?

They'll kidnap you and your entire family at night and will toture every last one of you if you sell bootlegs. True story, I heard it on the internet and I have a long lost uncle who works for ACen, so you know it's legit.

Most likely, if you sell bootlegs or something, the convention will blacklist you and never do business with you again. That's just my theory.

This post has been edited by Snow_Storm: 04 May 2013 - 02:17 PM

ACen 2014 Cosplay List (Final)

Goat-Kun (Umineko no Naku Koro Ni) - Friday
Garterbelt (Panty and Stocking) - Saturday
Coach (Left 4 Dead 2) - Thursay (maybe), Saturday

#3 User is offline   STVO 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 60452

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:09 PM

They definitely should do this. It's amazing how long comic con dealers have gotten away with this as is.
STVO: Facebook ACen Regular, 2013 Hellfire Challenge Champ!
Visit my Site STVO Universe
Fan on Facebook, Follow on Twitter, Subscribe on YouTube
Tentative ACen 2014 Cosplays Plans:
1 or 2 New Cosplays Based on Budget! Top Idea: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme. Also Want A New WWE Costume, and Returning 1 or 2 Classic Cosplays Based on Budget and What Others Do/Want.*

*CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE

#4 User is offline   slrphebos 

• Customer Service Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 974

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:00 PM

If you suspect a dealer is selling something that is a bootleg, do not put that dealer on the spot. Report your concern to the exhibit hall booth (usually located near the ACen merch boot) and give the dealer name and the suspected item.
~Ri-chan
ACen 2013-2014: Customer Service

2013 Cosplay: Team Aqua Grunt (100%), Fluttershy Sweet Lolita (95%)

#5 User is offline   Washu Takahashi 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 56275

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:12 AM

Good for them! It's not always easy to spot a bootleg, and it sucks for the people who buy them thinking they're real products.
ACen 2014 Schedule
Friday: Meloetta [Pokemon]
Saturday: Umi Ryuuzaki [Magic Knight Rayearth]
Sunday: Sytry Cartwright Demon Attire [Devils and Realist]

Add me on Facebook! Washu Takashi Cosplay

#6 User is offline   excel excel 

• Panel Programming <3
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderator
  • Member No.: 1495

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:24 AM

Its like what the announcer on the Metra says "If you see something, say something." Besides you may end up with a poorly misspelled bootleg or one that doesnt work in your DVD player.
ACen 2013 Cosplay Plans:
MST3k Mike Nelson & Crow-Friday
Team Fortress 2 Medic-Saturday

#7 User is offline   LhadyChloe 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 58924

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:51 AM

Does ACen check on figures being sold on the dealers room too? Because there was a time last 2011 when I was looking for Figmas and Nendroids that I saw a Nendroid with a
1. Cheap Packing
2. No original seal
3. Bad paint job
4. Has line signs
I never knew where to report them so I never did before.
NAIB COSPLAY CLUB 2014 ROSTER
FRIDAY - Dynasty Warriors l SATURDAY - Lightning Returns l SUNDAY - Naruto
SELLING MY MANGA COLLECTION
SITE: http://naib-cosplay.webs.com
2013 - Final Fantasy XIII, Fairy Tail, One Piece l 2012 - Bleach , DGrayman, InuYasha l 2011 - Final Fantasy XI, One Piece, Code Geass l 2010 - Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy X, Naruto
YouTube l Tumblr l Instagram l Facebook l Twitter

#8 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:28 AM

View PostLhadyChloe, on 22 July 2013 - 10:51 AM, said:

I never knew where to report them so I never did before.

Information Booth is a good place to start.

#9 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 49272

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:43 PM

The convention in question tried to pin blame on Nan Desu Kan, an older and much more successful convention out here, for trying to muscle them out of the convention scene. They probably were trying to pass the buck for getting into hot water. Plus, it seemed like they were run by people who are not fit to attend livestock.

If anyone wants to read up on the fireworks, http://ndkdenver.org...pic,7637.0.html

This post has been edited by KirbyFanOne: 22 July 2013 - 05:45 PM

Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

#10 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:15 PM

What about if someone catches an artist in Artist alley selling art that isn't there's? I'm not talkina about the idea of someone selling art in a deal where the vendor does so with the express consent of the artist, since they are not there, I'm talking about the person who steals the art off the net and then sells it at a ACen for a price even though they didn't make the art. What are the rules regarding that?
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#11 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:57 PM

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 23 July 2013 - 12:15 PM, said:

What about if someone catches an artist in Artist alley selling art that isn't there's? I'm not talkina about the idea of someone selling art in a deal where the vendor does so with the express consent of the artist, since they are not there, I'm talking about the person who steals the art off the net and then sells it at a ACen for a price even though they didn't make the art. What are the rules regarding that?

Link to teh rules. To be also found in the Artist Alley forum area of the boards.

This post has been edited by rondo: 23 July 2013 - 02:58 PM

#12 User is offline   Kyuu 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 348

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:23 AM

Once I saw a Tenchi Muyo movie compilation on one disc, like 5 ACENs ago. I decided to buy it, only to be disappointed by it being a bootleg. That's what I get for not paying too much attention to it. Plus I rushed the purchase, thinking that I'll never see something like that again. Since then, I'm opting to never buy DVDs in the dealers' room ever again.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. -- Ferris Bueller

Anime Currently Watching

#13 User is offline   LhadyChloe 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 58924

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:53 PM

thanks for the info, ill keep that in mind next time.
NAIB COSPLAY CLUB 2014 ROSTER
FRIDAY - Dynasty Warriors l SATURDAY - Lightning Returns l SUNDAY - Naruto
SELLING MY MANGA COLLECTION
SITE: http://naib-cosplay.webs.com
2013 - Final Fantasy XIII, Fairy Tail, One Piece l 2012 - Bleach , DGrayman, InuYasha l 2011 - Final Fantasy XI, One Piece, Code Geass l 2010 - Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy X, Naruto
YouTube l Tumblr l Instagram l Facebook l Twitter

#14 User is offline   wolverine33 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 582

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:04 AM

This good to hear because i've been to a couple of conventions and seen bootlegs dvd....

Later B)

#15 User is offline   Voltaire30 

• Exhibit Space DH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Department Head
  • Member No.: 8053

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:41 PM

If you ever see any questionable products in our hall (hopefully you never will), please report it to the Exhibitor Booth located near Registration / Merch. It will be labeled as such so you won't be able to miss it. Please provide a booth number, the product, the product's location in the booth, and how you know the product is a bootleg. Your name won't be released, we just need to know everything about the product so we know how to accurately approach the situation.
This all being said, if you ever end up purchasing such a product, let us know the Exhibitor Booth name and location, the product, and how you know it is a bootleg, and it will be taken into account if the Exhibitor applies for space the following year.

By the way, this our Exhibitor Agreement in case you would like to review our policy on bootleg merchandise. http://www.ACen.org/node/77
Exhibit Space Department Manager 2009, 10, 11, 12, 13, & 14
Exhibit Space Assistant Manager 2007 & 08

If you have any Questions, Comments, and/or Concerns, Feel Free to Contact us by using one of the emails below.
ArtistAlley@ACen.org - ArtShow@ACen.org - ExhibitHall@ACen.org - ExhibitSpace@ACen.org

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance & Promotes Premium Productivity
"The optimistic way to look at your own art, performance, or results when someone tells you that you're not good enough, is to think that there's still room to improve. When you believe your artwork, performance, or results are perfect, it's the end of your career."

#16 User is offline   Audri 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 23980

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:39 PM

I'm sorry but I can't see how sueing a con is good for anything. I'm sure Funimation could do enough damage to make up for the lost sales by boycotting the con until they made harsher policies on bootleg sales but crippling or destroying a convention.

Funimation really has seemed to get rather Sue happy over the last five years...
2015: The search continues..
2014: Should have cosplayed
2013: Hayate Yagami - Magical Lyrical Nanoha Force
2012: Featherine Augustus Aurora - Umineko No Naku Koro Ni
Ruko Yokune - Vippaloid
2011: Featherine Augustus Aurora - Umineko No Naku Koro Ni
2010: Eva-Beatrice - Umineko No Naku Koro Ni
2009: First ACen - No cosplay

#17 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:52 AM

View PostAudri, on 12 January 2014 - 07:39 PM, said:

I'm sorry but I can't see how sueing a con is good for anything. I'm sure Funimation could do enough damage to make up for the lost sales by boycotting the con until they made harsher policies on bootleg sales but crippling or destroying a convention.

Funimation really has seemed to get rather Sue happy over the last five years...

I don't see anything wrong with it if they can prove the con did not do enough to prevent the bootleg sales happening from a dealer in a dealer room the con is responsible for.

Can't say that I am versed in the dealings of Funimation or a similar importer, but I'm sure they have to protect their own intellectual property rights and those who they distribute. It may seem to be a bit heavy handed by I'm sure they have contracts and partnerships overseas that they have to aggressively protect.

This post has been edited by rondo: 13 January 2014 - 07:55 AM

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users