• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Anime Central Must Do Question

#1 User is offline   NightElf 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 63562

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:20 AM

Hello. This is my first time going to Anime Central. What do you recommend as the must dos?

Also, is the soap bubble worth going to? I have tickets to the Kalafina Concert. The soap bubble is the same night. Can I do both or are the long lines going to prevent it?

#2 User is offline   feuerwerke 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 63062

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:56 AM

The Soap Bubble is not the same night. Kalafina is Friday night, the Soap Bubble is Saturday. Whether or not the Soap Bubble is worth your time depends on you as a person, honestly. Do you like to dance? Do you like electronic music? Are you okay with big crowds of potentially rowdy people? If none of those things sound horrible it may be worth it. The lines are pretty long towards the beginning of it, but the Soap Bubble goes all night. You'll probably get in eventually.

For me, must dos overall are the Soap Bubble and panels. Which ones specifically is a personal thing, but the ones that catch my attention are usually on slightly more obscure topics, like figure collecting or mythology. Any time a guest interests me I try to catch their stuff. A lot of people consider the masquerade to be a must but I never go to it myself.

My top recommendation, though, is that you do something. Anything. I don't understand the people who pay their $45+ for a badge only to sit in the hallway all weekend. Panels and events are cool. If you're not sure about something but it sounds interesting, check it out! People don't mind if you slip out of something early so if it's boring you can just leave.
ACen 2014 cosplays
  • Junko Enoshima

#3 User is offline   Isamu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 8918

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:40 AM

Don't be afraid to go out and try the great food Chicago has. Also, if you like steak then Gibson's is across the street from the convention center.
"Frank and explicit"-that is the right line to take when you wish to conceal your own mind and to confuse the minds of others.
Bachelors know more about women than married men; if they didn't, they'd be married too.
Santa on the crapper is officially dead.
Acens attended. 2001,2002,2007-2011.
STVO the 2013 Hellfire champ.

#4 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 33629

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:09 PM

View Postfeuerwerke, on 28 April 2013 - 09:56 AM, said:

The Soap Bubble is not the same night. Kalafina is Friday night, the Soap Bubble is Saturday. Whether or not the Soap Bubble is worth your time depends on you as a person, honestly. Do you like to dance? Do you like electronic music? Are you okay with big crowds of potentially rowdy people? If none of those things sound horrible it may be worth it. The lines are pretty long towards the beginning of it, but the Soap Bubble goes all night. You'll probably get in eventually.

Soap Bubble is alright, and if you like to dance you should definitely go. I've only been to one, but my advice is to go later in the night. Usually after a few hours enough people bail so you can come and go as you please without having to get back in line (using the bathroom, getting water, etc.) Keep in mind things get really sweaty really quickly, and don't be afraid to tell people to bugger off if they are grinding up on your lady lumps and you aren't feeling it. Because they will.

If you are cosplaying you should go to the Gatherings sub forum and see if there's a photoshoot/meetup for people doing stuff from the same series/game/show. It's an awesome opportunity to meet people who love what you love and get good photo ops.

And panels! As someone above me said, don't spend that kind of money just to sit around! :)

Damn Thread's fearless leaderReluctant Member of the Little Maids CorpsUGUU~
ACen 2013 Cosplay: LOL whatever I manage to throw together at this point...-_-;;

#5 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:30 PM

My must do are various panels, guest panels are fun--especially Q&As. Also I LOVE the masquerade and seeing the walk-on cosplayers compete. Really cool stuff you see there for sure.

Oooh, and photoshoots! Even if you're not cosplaying it's a great way to meet people with similar anime interests as you, and it's a lot of fun to take pictures! :3
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#6 User is offline   magishine 

• Tenkuu Yuusha
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 21997

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:03 PM

View PostGITS SAC Motoko, on 28 April 2013 - 09:30 PM, said:

My must do are various panels, guest panels are fun--especially Q&As. Also I LOVE the masquerade and seeing the walk-on cosplayers compete. Really cool stuff you see there for sure.

Oooh, and photoshoots! Even if you're not cosplaying it's a great way to meet people with similar anime interests as you, and it's a lot of fun to take pictures! :3

I agree about the panels. There's these panels on Ghost in the Shell and philosophy. I feel like I need to go.....like....something is whispering at me to go

Anyway, panels are tons of fun also the photoshoots/gatherings. You can meet all kinds of people there. More importantly just walk around places, you'd be surprised what you see just walking around
uchu kitaaaaaa!!!!

Cosplays for ACen 2015 and progress made:

Not attending ACen in 2015. Sorry. Maybe 2016

#7 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:43 AM

Hadokenin' foos blocking the hamster trail.

But seriously, there is plenty to do and only three days essentially. Don't force it and let it flow naturally. If you can't get to everything, come back next year.

This post has been edited by rondo: 29 April 2013 - 02:44 AM

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users