Anime Central Forums: Tips for flying into Chicago? - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Tips for flying into Chicago? Especially when one has cosplay/props.

#1 User is offline   vicemage 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 10902

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:39 PM

I've never actually flown into a con while doing cosplay in the past, but circumstances this year have lead me to do so this year, so I'm wondering if anyone who's done this in the past has a few tips they'd like to share.

My major concern of all this is the "hard" parts of my costumes--the armor plates, automail pieces, heavy pieces of leather and the like that I worry about breaking. I don't really want to pack those pieces into the checked luggage, but I don't know how I'll get through TSA with them, either. Similarly, I'd also be curious how well items like hair gels/products make it through on checked luggage, since the particular products I'll be using don't come in nice airline-friendly sizes.

Besides that, I rarely fly anyway so I'm up for any other tips getting through with costumes in tow. Thanks!

#2 User is offline   Whodigiya 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 63372

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:14 PM

Toiletries should probably be packed up and then packed again in plastic. If you don't want anything to squeeze out on the way, I'd recommend you tape your capes. I fly fairly often (about sixty thousand miles a year or more) and I gotta say I've only had an incident with one product(sea salt scrub). The cap screwed off and it spilled all over my belongings. Thankfully I had it in a bag and then inside another bag.

When flying, the less stuff you're wearing that you'll have to take off and scan, the better. Complicated clothing could be problematic. Perhaps you should call your airport before you head out.
Everything I say is either true or extremely handsome!

#3 User is offline   AkaRisu 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 63327

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:27 AM

You're honestly probably better off checking a bag if you want to get all of that on an airplane. The risk, if they don't allow it to be in carry-on, is to either have to throw it away or risk missing your flight so you can send/take it all home. I think there are options for important items in checked baggage, though.

#4 User is offline   vicemage 

• Pip

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:23 PM

View PostWhodigiya, on 25 April 2013 - 10:14 PM, said:

When flying, the less stuff you're wearing that you'll have to take off and scan, the better. Complicated clothing could be problematic. Perhaps you should call your airport before you head out.

Thankfully, I'm planning only to wear at most one of the two pairs of shoes I need (and packing the other, more delicate pair), and a jacket. Nothing else complicated, it'll be too early for me to deal with that, plus I don't want to walk/ride the train wearing anything complicated anyway.

View PostAkaRisu, on 26 April 2013 - 06:27 AM, said:

You're honestly probably better off checking a bag if you want to get all of that on an airplane. The risk, if they don't allow it to be in carry-on, is to either have to throw it away or risk missing your flight so you can send/take it all home. I think there are options for important items in checked baggage, though.

That's good to know! I'll look into that on Southwest's website, thank you!

#5 User is offline   TheStrongJaeger 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 307

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:56 PM

Another option people over look is you can have the items simply mailed. There is a UPS store not too far away that you can have them sent to and they will simply hold it for your arrival. Might cost you a little more since I know Southwest does 2 free bags but they will get there safely and with no hassles.
All systems... GO!

#6 User is offline   Genichiro 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 61483

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:35 AM

You really don't want to be wearing armor while going through TSA checkpoints; they will make you take it all off, and if you can't or it's not quick to do, you could end up getting one of the infamous pat downs. I have was in a costume with a sewn on belt last year that I couldn't remove, and had to deal with that. I'm just going to avoid cosplaying on the plane at cons this year to avoid any issues that could come up. XD

#7 User is offline   vicemage 

• Pip

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:55 AM

Like I said, I have no intention of doing that. I've flown wearing an earlier version of the jacket I'm going to wear; it comes off easily and doesn't look much like anything more than a jacket that I can curl up in and nap in on the flight. I have had terrible luck with airport security for fifteen years, you'd better believe I'm not going to tempt fate! XD

Though with my luck, I could wear nothing more than a tshirt, pants and sandals, with empty pockets and no extra pieces, and still get a patdown. orz

#8 User is offline   YoungBirdcall 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 59429

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:01 PM

View PostTheStrongJaeger, on 30 April 2013 - 07:56 PM, said:

Another option people over look is you can have the items simply mailed. There is a UPS store not too far away that you can have them sent to and they will simply hold it for your arrival. Might cost you a little more since I know Southwest does 2 free bags but they will get there safely and with no hassles.

Oooo I'd never considered this before. Good plan!
"Thursday Late Night Meet 'n Greet" O.G. (the one at the bar, not that pancake one)

#9 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 53583

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:15 PM

I know someone said that you could ship it to the UPS store- you could also investigate directly to the hotel. When I was a DH for one of the HP conventions I staffed, we had lots of decorations, etc. I just let the hotel ahead of time to expect my packages- I mailed them so that they wouldnt get there more than a day ahead of me and it was fine. I would call them to make sure its ok of course, but I'm sure the hotel wouldnt have a problem with it.
No Soap = No Waifu Winner of the 2015 "Got Soap" slogan contest. ;)

"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users