Anime Central Forums: Anime in Chicago - Anime Central Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anime in Chicago Staying an extra few days after the con -- what's a fan to do?

#31 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:14 PM

View PostRoark, on 01 May 2013 - 01:42 PM, said:

Skip Sushi Station. It's mostly gimmick with mediocre sushi, generally drowned in sauce or mayonnaise. Overpriced and overcrowded for what you get.

Two best places for Chicago sushi:
  • Katsu (Northwest side, on Peterson): Incredibly fresh fish. Great presentation
  • Arami (Ukrainian Village, on Chicago Ave): Make reservations now, if they're still available. Ask for omakase. Prepare for an amazing meal.

I HIGHLY disagree.

Yes, Sushi Station does have a few very gimmicky rolls, like the Mexican Roll IIRC. I've only been to the Sushi Station in Schaumberg once. All the other times we've eaten at the Elgin location which is HUGE, and we've always had a pleasant experience. I don't think their rolls are overly sauced/mayo-ed. I wouldn't say their sushi is the best I've ever eaten either, but it is still very tasty when you're in the mood for just sushi and it's a fun experience. The price is just perfect too. You pay more for the good stuff, but there's plenty of decently priced sushi that is cheap too. Some of the nigiri can be meh, but what to you expect for Chicago? We don't have the luxury of fresh caught fish being so land-locked in the midwest.

Lets also not forget that the type of sushi we eat today was an early type of fast food. It wasn't meant to be a fine dining experience. Not that there is anything wrong with fine dining, and there is certainly nothing wrong with gourmet sushi.

If you want some fun cheap sushi go to Sushi Station. If you want a nice dinner, and don't mind spending a fair bit of cash, then there are tons of great Japanese restaurants in and around Chicago you can find.
Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#32 User is offline   Fantasia 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 63205

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:44 PM

The Willis Tower ( as much as I dislike the new name) is a good spot for tourists. Addler planetarium, museum of science and industry, and navy pier are awesome places to go!

DO NOT FORGET TO VISIT MILENIUM PARK! it's right by the art institute, too. Take whacky pictures ad the skywalk statue, mostly known as "the bean". Get wet in the fountains! There is so much to do in Chicago. Enjoy it to the fullest!!!
ACen COSPLAYS 2014:

Imp Midna LoZ Twilight Princess
Crona
Mirai Kuriyama

#33 User is offline   YoungBirdcall 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59429

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:03 PM

View PostRoark, on 01 May 2013 - 01:42 PM, said:

Skip Sushi Station. It's mostly gimmick with mediocre sushi, generally drowned in sauce or mayonnaise. Overpriced and overcrowded for what you get.

Two best places for Chicago sushi:
  • Katsu (Northwest side, on Peterson): Incredibly fresh fish. Great presentation
  • Arami (Ukrainian Village, on Chicago Ave): Make reservations now, if they're still available. Ask for omakase. Prepare for an amazing meal.

I would also add Kuni's Sushi to that list. It's located in Evanston, so it's not technically in Chicago, but it's easily accessible via the El or the Metra from anywhere within the city limits. Incredibly fresh, incredibly authentic sushi by the eponymous Kuni. Simple. Impeccable. You won't find any "specialty" rolls drowned in Mayonnaise-based sauces (though I myself also love that kind of "sushi") but you will find utterly delicious, veritable sushi and sashimi at affordable prices, especially for the north-shore area.
"Thursday Late Night Meet 'n Greet" O.G. (the one at the bar, not that pancake one)

#34 User is offline   Roark 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11290

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:24 PM

View PostYoungBirdcall, on 02 May 2013 - 12:03 PM, said:

I would also add Kuni's Sushi to that list. It's located in Evanston, so it's not technically in Chicago, but it's easily accessible via the El or the Metra from anywhere within the city limits. Incredibly fresh, incredibly authentic sushi by the eponymous Kuni. Simple. Impeccable. You won't find any "specialty" rolls drowned in Mayonnaise-based sauces (though I myself also love that kind of "sushi") but you will find utterly delicious, veritable sushi and sashimi at affordable prices, especially for the north-shore area.

That was the quick list. Mirai (Wicker Park) and Toro (Lincoln Park) should also be major stops for Chicago sushi. Next has moved past their Kyoto menu, but that was supposedly amazing.

#35 User is offline   mer2329 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 29293

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:02 PM

View Postrondo, on 01 May 2013 - 12:54 PM, said:

There is a PACE service close by I believe.

according to the previous post below you are correct
i was just unaware. i simply talked about the trains

as someone firmillar with a few CTA routes and the trains, due to the fact i live in Chicago, i rarely use pace.

i dont mean to down any pace riders or the RTA but pace needs more buses.

if your into art you can find some noce building art (not grafetti) if you go to the ethnic areas

EDIT1: heres a page with a bunch of toursy stuff http://www.choosechi...ip/itineraries/

This post has been edited by mer2329: 02 May 2013 - 02:07 PM

True Words of Wisdom
Those Who Fall Asleep In Fruit Drink
Often Gets Punch in Nose

#36 User is offline   Fantasia 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 63205

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:42 PM

Best way to get downtown from where you are staying is the blue line trains.
ACen COSPLAYS 2014:

Imp Midna LoZ Twilight Princess
Crona
Mirai Kuriyama

#37 User is offline   harana 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 56909

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:20 PM

Wow, I really wasn't expecting this many responses; thanks so much everyone. The directions are especially helpful. We're thinking of staying 2-3 extra days after the con, just debating about the third day...

#38 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 6912

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:09 PM

There is a lot to see and do around Chicago. Plan ahead, and be realistic about what you can do in a single day. (You can't recreate Ferris Bueller's Day Off unless you can teleport or stop time!) Driving takes time and patience. Even the CTA trains and buses along routes with no construction can be slow. And if you need to use Metra trains or Pace Bus after 9 PM, then make sure you know *when and where* to catch them ahead of time. I say this because some major routes stop by 10 PM, and you don't want to pay a fortune for a taxi.

#39 User is offline   YoungBirdcall 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59429

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:56 PM

View PostRoark, on 02 May 2013 - 01:24 PM, said:

That was the quick list. Mirai (Wicker Park) and Toro (Lincoln Park) should also be major stops for Chicago sushi. Next has moved past their Kyoto menu, but that was supposedly amazing.

Yeah, Toro is awesome. I really wanted to hit up Next back before they moved on from the Kyoto menu, but I wasn't able to get tickets. WOMP WOMP haha
"Thursday Late Night Meet 'n Greet" O.G. (the one at the bar, not that pancake one)

#40 User is offline   Roark 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11290

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:40 AM

View PostYoungBirdcall, on 02 May 2013 - 09:56 PM, said:

Yeah, Toro is awesome. I really wanted to hit up Next back before they moved on from the Kyoto menu, but I wasn't able to get tickets. WOMP WOMP haha

Next tickets are difficult to get, regardless of the menu. Just like Alinea tickets or reservations to Schwa or Girl and the Goat.

That said, I'm very much looking forward to Girl and the Goat in July :)

#41 User is offline   feuerwerke 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 63062

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:51 PM

View PostThe Commodore, on 29 April 2013 - 07:50 PM, said:

Not to go off topic here, but can you tell me what the shop is called/where it's located? I didn't know there was a place that sold kpop stuff in Chinatown.

Unfortunately I don't recall. It was my first time going to Chinatown at all and everything was kind of a blur since my friend that was showing me around tends to go in and out of stores really quickly, so I got disoriented pretty fast and didn't catch any names of places. Sorry!
ACen 2014 cosplays
  • Junko Enoshima

#42 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 6912

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:40 PM

View Postfeuerwerke, on 05 May 2013 - 05:51 PM, said:

Unfortunately I don't recall. It was my first time going to Chinatown at all and everything was kind of a blur since my friend that was showing me around tends to go in and out of stores really quickly, so I got disoriented pretty fast and didn't catch any names of places. Sorry!

Today, I finally had time to browse Chinatown, and I found the store. It's officially called "K Pop of Chinatown," and according to my receipt, it's located on 2223 S Wentworth Ave. (The address on MerchantCircle is slightly different, but the phone number matches the one on my receipt. Either way, it's in Chicago, and the zip code is 60616.) The store is currently open most days of the week. Set down any bags you're carrying before entering their second floor, and you can browse their selection of CDs, videos, and merchandise.

#43 User is offline   harana 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 56909

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:03 PM

I'm hoping I can get some help with some last minute questions now that the con is close!

We're staying until the Wednesday after the con, though we probably won't be able to do much that day. Does this look doable in for Monday and Tuesday -- possibly Sunday after the con if we need to?

Art Institute of Chicago (and Millennium Park, etc)
Shedd Aquarium
Mag Mile
Field Museum
Chinatown

I really wish we had more time, but I doubt this will be our last time to the city. I did notice that the red line is closing on the 19th right before the Chinatown exit, but it looks like there's an express shuttle between Roosevelt and Cemark...

I'm taking a look at maps and such, but is there anything listed within close vicinity of one another that would be smart to hit on the same day? I'm thinking AI and Mag Mile... I don't planning on driving my car into the city so we'll be relying solely on public transit.

How much time is Chinatown worth?

Thanks for any help~

#44 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:09 PM

AI and Mag mile you can do both in one day for sure. Shedd and Field Museum might be doable in one day too. Although when we go to museums we spend one day on just one museum. You might have to pick and choose which exhibits you want to see and rush through a bit to get both done in one day.
Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users