• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Edward Elric Cosplay Dilemma

#1 User is offline   Lady_Oscar 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 63527

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:38 PM

I'm going to (cross)play as Edward Elric, and as things have been coming together, I realized I might not be able to include his black jacket. Am I going to get a lot of crap for omitting that piece of clothing? As I've been working on his automail arm, I realized that with the bulk the automail adds to my real arm plus his red coat, it's going hard to squeeze another layer of clothing on that arm.

I realize he's a fairly common cosplay choice, but I've only been to one (!) other (tiny) con, and I can't remember all of what the Ed cosplayer I saw there had on. A GIS for Ed cosplay wasn't helpful either as it was hard to tell from pictures if people had automail AND the black jacket.

It's possible I'm overthinking this, but I also don't want to look like an idiot. So, can I leave the jacket behind, or should I buck up and find a way to include it? Thanks in advance for any advice.

#2 User is offline   The Phantom Tapper 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 60075

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:11 PM

View PostLady_Oscar, on 24 April 2013 - 05:38 PM, said:

It's possible I'm overthinking this, but I also don't want to look like an idiot. So, can I leave the jacket behind, or should I buck up and find a way to include it? Thanks in advance for any advice.

I'd say, don't let others ruin your cosplay. If you think the cosplay will be more comfortable without the jacket then go with that. I'm sure no one will point you out if you do end up leaving it out and even so you'll still have Ed's signature red jacket on.
ACen 2011: Friday- Maka (Soul Eater) Saturday- Belle, yellow gown (Beauty and the Beast) Sunday- Katara or Maka
ACen 2012: Saturday- Nice Holystone (Baccano) Sunday- Mario

ACen 2013: Friday: Yuki Cross white uniform (Vampire Knight) Saturday: Yuki Cross white uniform, Saturday evening: Nice Holystone? Sunday: Yuki Cross white uniform
ACen 2014: Saturday: Sophie Hatter (Howl's Moving Castle) Sunday: Sophie Hatter

#3 User is offline   Secretnerd32191 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 63549

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:15 PM

I have an old edward elric cosplay and you can use my shirt thing if you ant. I'm doing roy mustang and a few other cosplays this year not edward.

#4 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:53 PM

If this helps, there are some episodes of FMA that Edward does not have his typical black jacket thing he wears, but he is merely wearing a black tank-top under his red coat. So if you still want to have something, you could try that. Then you don't have to worry about additional sleeves either. :)
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#5 User is offline   eat_me_for_I_am_peeps 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 59774

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:04 PM

If the issue is getting the jacket under the arm, why not just hack off that sleeve? I mean I don't think anyone would notice
Need some Rave Gear? I got you! http://kittyandquinn.../kittysravegear

#6 User is offline   Lady_Oscar 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 63527

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:08 PM

View PostGITS SAC Motoko, on 24 April 2013 - 07:53 PM, said:

If this helps, there are some episodes of FMA that Edward does not have his typical black jacket thing he wears, but he is merely wearing a black tank-top under his red coat. So if you still want to have something, you could try that. Then you don't have to worry about additional sleeves either. :)/>

Ah, that does help! I've been working through the show in fits and spurts over the course of several months, so I don't always remember details like that (hell, I can't always remember what happened in the previous episode).

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users