Anime Central Forums: The Tolerance Police - Anime Central Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

The Tolerance Police Have fun AND make a difference!

#31 User is offline   YasuiGetups 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 61650

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:04 PM

View PostKungPowKirby, on 25 April 2013 - 09:12 PM, said:

Just making sure- I know some people really do mean things seriously on here.

I can assure you, I have no intention of carrying a sign now that I have had four people inform me that it's against the rules. And that I can't even properly identify a sign. :lol:

This post has been edited by YasuiGetups: 25 April 2013 - 10:06 PM

~Been: Nanako, Excalibur~
ACen 2013
~Aigis (Persona 4: The Ultimate In Mayonaka Arena)~
~Nanako (Persona 4)
~Jenna (Harvest Moon: Another Wonderful Life)~

The name? It was 2 a.m, I'm somewhat Japanese-literate, and I can make a mean, cheap costume. That's why. <3

#32 User is offline   HaruHE 

• Calendar Angel
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 10773

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:22 PM

Or if you have trouble seeing her, look for the nearly seven foot tall Shadow Yukiko with her! Can't miss me. (Reference for those unfamiliar) http://24.media.tumb...x6ioo1_1280.jpg
Once more returned to the forums. 2013 ideas:
Hieda No Akyu: Project Touhou
Shadow Yukiko Amagi: Persona 4
Kyouko Sakura (Magic form): Magi Madoka Magica

#33 User is offline   cidwind42 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 61749

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:27 PM

View PostYasuiGetups, on 24 April 2013 - 03:14 AM, said:

Hello, all. This year at ACen, I have a little project that you can very easily take part in, and is guaranteed to make a difference in someone's life!
I'm calling it the Tolerance Police, because it aims to empower people against the sport of trolling and to promote mutual respect within the fanbase.

Mission statement:
No matter what fandom you belong to, going to a convention is usually a vacation from the stresses of life and a place where you deserve to have three days of straight fun.
Not everyone, however, is guaranteed this privilege. Deviating from the white/heterosexual/gender-normative/etc. roles society holds dear often leads to people being persecuted- even when they should feel safe and accepted among people of similar interests.

No one who saves their money for a hotel and badge, puts together a cosplay, and counts the days until ACen should have to face snarky comments or rejection just because their cosplay isn't up to someone's taste, or a random troll decides to get vocal about their personal discomfort with crossplay.
As an experienced con-goer, I've seen people's weekends ruined by some passing jerk who decided to take out his hatred for anyone outside the narrow range of 'normal', and sat with people who cried because they felt so alone even among their fellow fans.

Whatever stereotypes exist about your fandom or your group, a con isn't the place where you should have to face judgment.

If you believe that as a subculture we don't have room to exclude or hate others just because of how different we are, here's what you can do:

1) Pledge right now to speak up if you hear someone making hateful comments about another cosplayer's gender, costume, age, race, etc. during ACen. Whether you tell the offender they're wrong for being discriminatory, or just pat the victimized person on the shoulder and say "Hey, not everyone is rude like that, don't listen to them", words are the easiest contribution to someone who's hurting.

2) Get a free sticker from me on any day of the con, and wear it on your badge as a sign of your commitment to promote tolerance!

It really is absolutely embarrass to me that in the United States of America, at a convention around all the amazing geeks and nerds of the comic/anime/gaming world we even have to point this out as an issue.
Ofcourse I'm in, but I'm always in.

Not to undermine the point here but while we are at it can we not shun our peers at the convention for simply not knowing about one particular game/anime/manga, even if it appears to you as being something obvious.
One of the common attacks I hear from people who may not be as fanatical as many of the other people at these convention, for not going to them, is that we often appears to be an overly exclusive group. Isn't the point of these type of conventions to share in the fun of the hobbies we love, and further to show others what and why we love them so much?

Therefore I take this challenge, and I encourage everyone to take it a step further. Reach out to those who ask questions of curiosity. We don't have to like everyone, but let us for this one weekend all be friends of the same community. Honestly, it is for that reason alone that I have been going to conventions for nearly a decade now (this year is year 9).

Honestly, to me tolerance really just seems weak, we really should be fighting for acceptance. But since acceptance must come entirely from within, tolerance will have to do.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move"

#34 User is offline   YasuiGetups 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 61650

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:30 AM

View Postcidwind42, on 28 April 2013 - 07:27 PM, said:

Not to undermine the point here but while we are at it can we not shun our peers at the convention for simply not knowing about one particular game/anime/manga, even if it appears to you as being something obvious.
One of the common attacks I hear from people who may not be as fanatical as many of the other people at these convention, for not going to them, is that we often appears to be an overly exclusive group. Isn't the point of these type of conventions to share in the fun of the hobbies we love, and further to show others what and why we love them so much?

Honestly, to me tolerance really just seems weak, we really should be fighting for acceptance. But since acceptance must come entirely from within, tolerance will have to do.

Good point- what an anime means to an individual is as unique as what a religion means to one follower, or what one song means to one person. Bashing on someone for not following a fandom the same way or to the same extent that you do is also something we should mobilize against...because even if someone is acting "a dumb n00b", as a fellow fan, we can share our experiences in a non-confrontational way that might make them see things differently.
How is being rude to someone going to teach them any other way to be, after all?
The trick is to be compassionate, so that becomes the socialized norm.

And yes, complete acceptance is the dream- but first comes taking away the fear of reprisal that keeps people from being their true selves. As members of this project, we are the ones building tomorrow's scaffold of total acceptance, through first telling people that who they are is worth being proud of and protecting.
~Been: Nanako, Excalibur~
ACen 2013
~Aigis (Persona 4: The Ultimate In Mayonaka Arena)~
~Nanako (Persona 4)
~Jenna (Harvest Moon: Another Wonderful Life)~

The name? It was 2 a.m, I'm somewhat Japanese-literate, and I can make a mean, cheap costume. That's why. <3

#35 User is offline   General_Iowa 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 62852

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:32 AM

I'm in! Just point me in the right direction and I will gladly help out in any way I can!

YOU HAVE MY FLAG!
Come to rebuildofevangelion.org and join our new and exciting community.

Follow me on Twitter at @NewEvaOrder for all your Eva needs

Come to the Rebuild of Evangelion panels across the country!

#36 User is offline   chriskazaglis 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 62178
  • Location:Bensenville, near ohare, but not in any junkyard lol

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:12 PM

I'm totally for this.

As a side funny note, at first I read 'the dream police,' dyslexia and a vivid imagination :)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users