Anime Central Forums: An Introduction into the Wonderful World of Japanese Fashion - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

An Introduction into the Wonderful World of Japanese Fashion For all those who love clothes but don't know where to start

#1 User is offline   Sofia 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 63376

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:21 PM

Hello everybody.
Gee I'm nervous about my first post here.
Anyway, this year I'm running Resale to Runway: All About Japanese Fashion

This panel is for those who love all kinds of fashion and love to experiment with their look. If you love lolita but just don't know where to buy a petti that won't lose its fluff, I'm here to help transfer your love of fashion into a reality.
In the panel I am going to break styles down and talk about their history, main brands, and focal points of an outfit as well as giving you resources on where to buy and how to achieve the look you want.
I'll cover the big hitters like lolita, visual, gyaru etc. as well as talking about some newer styles like otome and shironuri.

Of course, it can get a little boring with me yapping up there for an hour, so I'm also going to open the floor up to you guys.
We can talk trends we love, trends we hate, all that good stuff.

If that's not enough to convince you, I'm also doing a giveaway!
I'm giving away a 20 dollar Gothic Lolita Wig gift certificate!
I am in no way affiliated with Gothic Lolita Wigs

Anyway, thanks for listening guys and I hope to see you there!

Time: 7:15 PM, Saturday

(If you have any questions or would like your small brand/etsy/storenvy to be in my Where to Buy section, please pm me and I'll happily add you. I would love to promote some local businesses!)
ACen 2013 Cosplay

Friday: Crockertier Jane (Homestuck)- 10%
Saturday: Damara Megido (Homestuck)- 80%
Sunday: MAID of Time Aradia (Homestuck) - 75%

#2 User is offline   StellarKei 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 28651

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:03 PM

This sounds really interesting!
First attended ACen in 2006, 9th year going!

#3 User is offline   vomitrocity 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 58898

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:39 PM

View PostSofia, on 22 April 2013 - 07:21 PM, said:

I'll cover the big hitters like lolita, visual, gyaru etc. as well as talking about some newer styles like otome and shironuri.

Hmm... but Otome has been around for over 40 years. It was around even before it became popular in the 1970's.
Is "white face makeup" really a fashion style, more than just a makeup style, though?
I'm interested in what you have to say! :)
(Also interested that they approved two near-identical panels.)

#4 User is offline   Sofia 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 63376

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:21 PM

View Postvomitrocity, on 01 May 2013 - 03:39 PM, said:

Hmm... but Otome has been around for over 40 years. It was around even before it became popular in the 1970's.
Is "white face makeup" really a fashion style, more than just a makeup style, though?
I'm interested in what you have to say! :)/>
(Also interested that they approved two near-identical panels.)

Very true that Otome has been around for a long time.
I guess what I'm trying to say by "newer" styles is newer on the blogoshpere.
With Otome in particular, I've noticed a surge in the amount of blogs dedicated to Otome, and a large number of lolitas have been leaving behind the Over The Top coordinates of a few years ago and have moved into subtler styles by trying to blend mori-girl/cult party-kei with lolita.
Maybe my assumption is wrong, if so you know what happens when you assume things...

Shironuri is very interesting to me, mostly because it is fashion yet...it's not.
It's probably more accurate to call Shironuri a subculture, yet many fashions are also subcultures themselves.
While it's true that the only defining factor of Shironuri is having your face painted white, there are still a lot of elements that make something Shironuri. Shironuri takes a lot of influence from the dark and grotesque, and many Shironuri outfits are very costume-y and extravagant.
The recent popularity of people like Minori within the Western community has turned Shironuri into more of a fashion that people want to imitate.

I'm interested in why there are two very similar panels, too.
I mean, not that I'm complaining!
ACen 2013 Cosplay

Friday: Crockertier Jane (Homestuck)- 10%
Saturday: Damara Megido (Homestuck)- 80%
Sunday: MAID of Time Aradia (Homestuck) - 75%

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users