• You cannot reply to this topic

Paler Skin? Any tips on how to get rid of a red face

#1 User is offline   Silent Hand Grenades08 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 17463

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:46 PM

So I'm cosplaying Dave Strider, and I chose a whitish blonde wig with red contacts. Of course the light hair and the red eyes ended up bringing out the red in my face (naturally I have dark hair and dark eyes so it isn't too noticeable.) Do you guys have any makeup tips for a paler face to wash out the redness? I don't wear makeup at all, so this is kinda confusing for me haha. Thanks for any help.
ACen 2013 Cosplay

Saturday and Sunday: Dave Strider (90%)

#2 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 18090

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:31 PM

Haha! What an eerie coincidence that you post this today and I see it RIGHT after I finish my Raven makeup test!

I would suggest getting a foundation that is a shade lighter than your naturak skin tone (Not sure if liquid or powder would work best) to use as a base that way you get that as your skin instead of something redder. I find Neutrogena works fairly well.

As for the paleness, I can only suggest what I tried which is to get one of the super super super light powder foundations (and you want foundation because it is meant for the whole face) and use that. Apply using a circular motion with a wide blush/foundation brush (the big floofy kind)
You might have to do some conturing to prevent a one note look but that is best achieved by playing around with it. You might need a yellowish blush to create shadows for cheek bones, or black to bring out the eyes. Whatever the case, like with normal makeup, you want to stick to tones that work WITH the base you have.

As kind of an example look here for my Raven makeup shots and explanation: http://www.ACen.org/...ost__p__1103652
A-Cen 2014 Cosplay (links are of me): Angewomon (Digimon) / Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) / Hikaru (Angelic Layer) /
CURRENTLY SELLING ANIME/MANGA/WALLSCROLLS! PM FOR MORE INFORMATION!
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2013: Pocahontas //// Raven (Teen Titans TV Series)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2009:Diva(Final Battle) //// Sailor Pluto //// Edward Elric
The Official "Forum Kitten", A Rini Fangirl, TekoMuto fan

#3 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 33629

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:42 PM

Use a primer that cancels out redness (it'll be a greenish hue, but it won't go on green!). Then as long as you don't have any major skin problems just go over the primer with a foundation of light or medium coverage. Use translucent setting powder and you should be good to go.

This is assuming that aside from the redness you don't want to change your skin tone. If that's the case test the foundation by doing a line from your jaw line down to your neck. If the foundation matches both the face and neck then it's your shade.

Damn Thread's fearless leaderReluctant Member of the Little Maids CorpsUGUU~
ACen 2013 Cosplay: LOL whatever I manage to throw together at this point...-_-;;

#4 User is offline   C2Queen 

• Publication Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: Forum Staff
  • Member No.: 59630

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:18 AM

Actually to combat redness (and dark circles beneath the eyes) I use a coverstick/concealer. It looks like a nude lipstick, but actually it's supposed to be used on your face (weird, right?) It costs about $4 or $5 at Walmart. You want to go with something slightly lighter than what your skin tone looks like. The concealer does a great job of covering up red spots. I'd apply concealer first then I'd use foundation afterwards though to even out your whole face.

The cool thing about foundation is it comes in liquid form, more solid form, and powder. I'd get a liquid foundation close to your skin tone (hold up the bottle or case to your arm and compare colors, make sure it matches your face and neck color though) Like Kii said you don't want your face ending up a whole different color... You'll want something close to your skin tone, not too dark or too light. (Make sure you don't have allergies to makeup btw) And if you want to take the extra step, get a powder and powder your face after applying concealer and foundation. It'll set your makeup to last longer and not smear off as easily. That's personally how I do my makeup. Warning though, foundation will pretty much make your face an even pale color. You might want to get a bronzer too... It'll give your face color but not to where you look girly (look at the link below to see how bronzer can help) Here's a good makeup tutorial for male cosplay from DA. Using it to show you the affect of bronzer. The person who did the tutorial looks like they applied foundation, concealer, and put their contacts in already before they started.

Male Cosplay Makeup

Upcoming Cosplay: Sinon from Sword Art Online: II / Gun Gale Online
My Upcoming Cons/Events (2015): Kitsune-Kon, Anime Central, Colossalcon, Ramencon

For general questions & questions about forum registration -- EMAIL US.

#5 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 18090

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:44 AM

-bows down to the epic makeup knowledge of those who posted after me-
A-Cen 2014 Cosplay (links are of me): Angewomon (Digimon) / Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) / Hikaru (Angelic Layer) /
CURRENTLY SELLING ANIME/MANGA/WALLSCROLLS! PM FOR MORE INFORMATION!
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2013: Pocahontas //// Raven (Teen Titans TV Series)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2009:Diva(Final Battle) //// Sailor Pluto //// Edward Elric
The Official "Forum Kitten", A Rini Fangirl, TekoMuto fan

#6 User is offline   MsLovelyCookie 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 57517

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:09 PM

What helps reduce my red skin without makeup is taking showers in lukewarm water instead of hot water. The heat of the water makes the skin flush out more, I noticed the difference whenever I used hot water my skin took a while to go back to the lighter red that I normally have. :0:
I'm Just A Girl In The World
Take A Good Look At Me
Just Your Typical Prototype...

Registration Staff: 2012-2014

#7 User is offline   CharlotteStar 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 11577

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:17 PM

View PostC2Queen, on 23 April 2013 - 10:18 AM, said:

The person who did the tutorial looks like they applied foundation, concealer, and put their contacts in already before they started.

Male Cosplay Makeup

Yes, put your contacts in before you apply makeup! My eyes water like crazy while trying to put them in and even for a bit after (I don't wear contacts, so that's probably why), which will lead to a smeared, tear stained makeup job if you apply it first.

...unless you don't have issues with that kinda thing, then you can just go ahead and ignore my advice. ^_^

ACen 14 Cosplay

Date a Live - Kurumi Tokisaki
Saturday.Sunday

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users