• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Research project Help requested!

#1 User is offline   Enigmarocket 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 62829

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:39 PM

Hey all! I'm responsible for the "Fundamental Legal Concepts in Gaming" ACen panel on Sunday morning (and a copanelist on "The Cultures Behind Avatar: The Last Airbender" panel on Fri. evening). I'm in the beginning stages of a non-ACen project and am drawing a bit of a blank. So, I thought I'd ask for help from fellow gaming experts. I'm looking for legal-esque proceedings portrayed in video games. In Chrono Trigger, for example, there's an entire "trial" where Chrono faces kidnapping charges. Essentially, are there other events in games where some authority imposed (or tried to impose) criminal/civil/military/etc. law on players or NPCs? I've also/already considered the Phoenix Wright series. The game's system doesn't matter, so feel free to respond with any game that isn't Chrono Trigger or Phoenix Wright. Thanks! :)

#2 User is offline   HiroEcks 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 59556

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:56 PM

Mass Effect about any moment where you have to prove yourself or defend someone/some race (ie the entire game)
My friends call me HADOUKEN because I'm down (▼) right (►) FIERCE!
Get it??

Thursday Late Night Meet n' Greet v3

♫ HiroEcks sings? ♫
♫ and does covers? ♫

#3 User is offline   Enigmarocket 

• Pip

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:33 PM

Ack! That's right! I forgot about Tali's trial. *smacks head* Thanks!

#4 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 28448

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:16 PM

Um...is something like BlazBlue what you're looking for? Ragna is a fugitive and a number of the other playable and non-playable characters are part of the group that's after him...
Cosplay 2012: Mitsuki Saya (Black Cat), Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai)
Cosplay 2013: Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai) I didn't have my camera; please send me pictures! ;A;

"A blank piece of paper is God's way of telling us how hard it is to be God."
-Sidney Sheldon

#5 User is offline   Enigmarocket 

• Pip

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:32 PM

Hmm. I'd not heard of that franchise until you mentioned it. Thanks! :) I read a brief synopsis and, correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like Ragna is trying to outrun bounty hunters who want to collect on the bounty. (I don't have much knowledge of that one, so I might be missing something) I was thinking more along the lines of getting busted & taken to the police station in the GTA series for committing crimes, Tali's trial in the Mass Effect franchise, or if (in some alternate reality where this actually happened) Master Chief were to be put in the brig for all the innocent NPC soldier's I've accidentally shot over the years.

#6 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 6912

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:30 PM

View PostEnigmarocket, on 18 April 2013 - 02:39 PM, said:

...I'm looking for legal-esque proceedings portrayed in video games. ...Essentially, are there other events in games where some authority imposed (or tried to impose) criminal/civil/military/etc. law on players or NPCs?

In Sakura Wars: So Long My Love (the fifth game in the series, but the only one with a translation), the main character Shinjiro spends part of Chapter Two getting prepared for a legal battle versus Sagitta (aka Cheiron in the dubbed version). The legal battle happens near the end of the chapter in the streets of Harlem. Like the rest of the game, it's very theatrical and not in any way realistic.

#7 User is offline   Whodigiya 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 63372

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:44 PM

LA Noir comes to mind, it seems like an obvious pick (like Phoenix Wright). There are a lot of detective games out there, like CSI and the Sam and Max titles.

There's that whole voting system in Disgaea, but I don't think that's quite what you're looking for.
Everything I say is either true or extremely handsome!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users