• This topic is locked

Handicapped Access And Other Special Needs

#1 User is offline   Smokey 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6522

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:41 PM

Anime Central's Sweet 16th is right around the corner, and we've all been working hard to provide another exciting convention for you. Our Special Needs Dept. is here to make sure that everyone will be able to enjoy everything that ACen has to offer, regardless of medical conditions, physical challenges or any other circumstance that might limit your full participation in all the fun. Or staff is experienced, understanding and will keep any personal information you may need to discuss in the strictest confidence.

Just stop by either of our Special Needs Help Desks and we'll work with you to de-hinder your hinderences. You can find is in the Stephens Convention Center at the entrance to the Registration Dept. where those needing special considerations can get their badges, any special passes required for ease of access, as well as MedicInfo cards, which are our version of the Medic Alert bracelets that provide your most important medical and contact info, just in case our EMS team is needed. Our hours there are the same as Registration's.

You can also get our services, except badge pick up, at our main location in the Hyatt. We're in the Grand Boardroom on the first floor (Entry Level) in the hallway leading from the main building to the Ballroom annex, right between the Customer Service desk and the Ladies' restroom. Any complaints about accessability can be directed to either location, where we'll dispatch a Manager to correct the problem immediately. This location operates all weekend, closing only at night from 10:00 PM to 8:00 AM. But if needed, our Manager can be reached during those hours through IRT.

Unfortunately, we have not yet found a wheelchair rental company willing to supply rentals at-con, but we can provide a list of local companies that you can make arrangements with yourself. If you already know that you'll be needing to rent a chair or scooter over the weekend, I need to rent a scooter myself and can steer you to the company I get mine from. Keep in mind that this is not an official endorsement by Anime Central, it's just my own recommendation based my personal experience. Call Mark Drugs at 630-825-2525 a week or so before the convention. They'll take your payment info at that time, so have your credit card handy, and they'll have your wheelchair or scooter waiting for you at your hotel when you arrive. I've been renting from them for 7 years now, and never had a problem.

New in 2013.

In response to several complaints from those with respiratory difficulties being forced to walk through the designated smoking area in front of the Hyatt, we're attempting to provide a bypass around that area so that those with smoke related issues can enter and leave the hotel unscathed. The ballroom entrance, which is between the street and the smoking area, will be freed up to accomodate increased traffic flow. We'll be closely observing the law prohibiting smoking within 15 feet of the doorway (Sorry Hookah club, that means you too) and will be asking everyone to please refrain from smoking anywhere along the short length of sidewalk connecting that entrance to the street. To help in getting everyone's attention on this, we'll be posting extra staff members with large signs at each end of that bypass area Friday and Saturday when the pedestrian traffic is at its heaviest. Please help in this effort by spreading the word to as many people as you can. We're not trying to wipe out smoking here, we just want to make it less intrusive.

So come on and enjoy yourself, we've already removed the barriers for you. If you have any questions or need to make special arrangements, you can contact me directly at adacompliance-dh@ACen.org
The Special Needs & ADA Compliance Department is dedicated to making sure that nobody has to miss anything that ACen has to offer because of a physical challenge or medical condition.

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Compliments? Complaints?

Visit us at http://acen.org/cont...-ada-compliance or send an email to adacompliance-dh@acen.org

Number of ACens attended: 15, Number of years on staff: 6, 2010 Staff MVP Award

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users