• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

ACen Security In wake of attack at Boston

#1 User is offline   Rozuial 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 62815

Post icon  Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:31 PM

If anyone does not know, Yesterday at the finish line at the Boston Marathon there were two explosions that killed 3 and injured many others.

This saddens me that something like this can happen. I won't rant and rave about this, but I would like to know if the ACen staff and Security are taking extra steps and checking people in due to this event? Will Security be "Stepped up"? Will there be restrictions added?

If anyone has thoughts or prayers, please post.

#2 User is offline   Fantasia 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 63205

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:38 PM

I highly doubt something so severe will happen...though it doesn't hurt to take extra precautions.
Better safe than sorry.
ACen COSPLAYS 2015:

Giratina

#3 User is offline   TheStrongJaeger 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 307

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:54 PM

I for one certainly hope not. This type of fear mongering and extra intrusions in to our daily lives are exactly what the people who commit these acts want.

Not to mention adding extra burdens on to the already over worked and overstretched IRT.

This post has been edited by TheStrongJaeger: 16 April 2013 - 06:55 PM

All systems... GO!

#4 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:07 PM

One would think that year's "event" prompted some serious talks over how to better handle emergency situations
Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#5 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:16 PM

I, myself, will be altering how I handle the con only if forced by IRT and such. Outside of that, I'm likely not even to remember what happened come con time.

#6 User is offline   Nikku 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 61480

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:24 PM

View Postrondo, on 16 April 2013 - 07:16 PM, said:

I, myself, will be altering how I handle the con only if forced by IRT and such. Outside of that, I'm likely not even to remember what happened come con time.

it's still a month away and, as cold as this sounds, with how ADD the news cycle is most people will forget about it. Thought simple things apply. Watch for people you don't look like they belong. Notice backpacks or people throwing LARGE items into garbage cans. (these next ones won't apply due to the way con's are but) Watch for people standing alone at a distance holding a phone in their hand and watching crowd traffic.

I don't expect anyone to attack this con, (honestly what would it serve?) but its a valid question to ask and at the same time you have to drop one's ego and realize that if someone WAS to attack the con (guns, bomb, gas, fire) what could you really do to stop it? Just be smart, be aware but living in fear will do nothing.
ACen 2014 cosplays Hirano kouta-H.O.T.D Sith Lord (maybe?) 2 ton 21, Monarch chief Henchman.

#7 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 591

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:25 PM

Hi there! As an ADH of IRT, let me take this one and get you an answer right from the source.

IRT certainly keeps its ears open for events that may affect the way we approach security for ACen, and we take all the threats that are reported to us seriously. We stay in contact with Rosemont Public Safety and we do in fact have established and trained procedures for all the critical incidents imaginable. We of course never hope to use those procedures, but they have been reviewed by many people and when we have had to use them (fire evacuation, power outage, severe weather - to name a few), they have worked well.

Now, that said, IRT doesn't feel that there is any specific response to the events in Boston that the convention needs to take, and Rosemont Public Safety confirms that. If things change, we'll adapt as well, and we will continue to bring you the safest convention we can.
Eli "Rabbi" Morris-Heft: IRT Assistant Department Head
SecDiv Dispatch 2004, IRT Communications ADH 2005-06, IRT Dispatch Supervisor 2007-2010, IRT Dispatch Commander 2011, IRT ADH 2012-, IT Senior Sysadmin 2007-2011, ACen Clergy, 2004-

"Two-three the count with nobody on / He hit a high fly into the stands / Roundin' third, he was headed for home / It was a brown-eyed handsome man (that won the game) / It was a brown-eyed handsome man." (Brown-Eyed Handsome Man by Chuck Berry)

I <3 People Who <3 IRT!Want to help make IRT even better? Apply next year!

#8 User is offline   LhadyChloe 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 58924

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:19 AM

How do you call an IRT if you do find something or heard something? Its not like theres an IRT beside you all the time in ACen
NAIB COSPLAY CLUB 2014 ROSTER
FRIDAY - Dynasty Warriors l SATURDAY - Lightning Returns l SUNDAY - Naruto
SELLING MY MANGA COLLECTION
SITE: http://naib-cosplay.webs.com
2013 - Final Fantasy XIII, Fairy Tail, One Piece l 2012 - Bleach , DGrayman, InuYasha l 2011 - Final Fantasy XI, One Piece, Code Geass l 2010 - Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy X, Naruto
YouTube l Tumblr l Instagram l Facebook l Twitter

#9 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 591

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:15 AM

View PostLhadyChloe, on 26 April 2013 - 09:19 AM, said:

How do you call an IRT if you do find something or heard something? Its not like theres an IRT beside you all the time in ACen

We definitely try to be within sight range at all times, and there are few times when that shouldn't be true. If you need one of us quickly, you can find us on the floor, come to our headquarters in the dome of the Hyatt, or find an info booth and have them radio for us.
Eli "Rabbi" Morris-Heft: IRT Assistant Department Head
SecDiv Dispatch 2004, IRT Communications ADH 2005-06, IRT Dispatch Supervisor 2007-2010, IRT Dispatch Commander 2011, IRT ADH 2012-, IT Senior Sysadmin 2007-2011, ACen Clergy, 2004-

"Two-three the count with nobody on / He hit a high fly into the stands / Roundin' third, he was headed for home / It was a brown-eyed handsome man (that won the game) / It was a brown-eyed handsome man." (Brown-Eyed Handsome Man by Chuck Berry)

I <3 People Who <3 IRT!Want to help make IRT even better? Apply next year!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users