• You cannot reply to this topic

Boston Marathon's Bombing ....

#1 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:08 PM

So apparently there has been two bombs exploding at the end of the Boston marathon. Sounds like a terribly gruesome scene.

Ugh.

#2 User is offline   MsLovelyCookie 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 57517

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:14 PM

I didn't see the news about it but seen the tweets about the incident. I can't believe anyone would do such a thing but I wonder who did it and for what reason?
I'm Just A Girl In The World
Take A Good Look At Me
Just Your Typical Prototype...

Registration Staff: 2012-2014

#3 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:23 PM

Hospitals are reporting that they are dealing with a lot of amputations. Eyewitnesses are reporting that the people who were hit were mostly spectators, and were missing arms and legs. Sounds absolutely horrible.
Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#4 User is offline   Whodigiya 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 63372

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:33 PM

I was watching that on TV in my local recreation center. It was about 54 minutes into the race when I briefly viewed it and left. That's crazy. The last report I saw said 2 people were killed, 22 were injured, and there were three explosions.

http://www.nytimes.c...athon.html?_r=0
http://news.blogs.cn...thon/?hpt=hp_t1
Everything I say is either true or extremely handsome!

#5 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:01 PM

The commissioner just confirmed that there was another explosion at JFK Library at 4:15.

Was this supposed to be a city-wide attack on Boston?
Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#6 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:06 PM

I find the JFK library an interesting pick. I'll be curious to see if they are related.

#7 User is offline   Prayer Police 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 11087

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:25 PM

I heard that the library bomb was a controlled detonation performed by the bomb squad.
^^Post of the Day!!!!^^

FaceBook:Cedric Paul Mamuri DeviantART:PrayerPolice Instagram:PrayerPolice Pinterest:Prayer Police
Twitter:@PrayerPolice XBox gamertag:Prayer Police PS3 account ID:PrayerPolice Steam:Prayer Police

2014 cosplays: Doge......just Doge.

#8 User is offline   MsLovelyCookie 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 57517

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:25 PM

Watching the news and they have shut down cell phone service just in case. 3 bombing for far the recent at JFK Library. One of the news reporters from Boston said that she was there, watching her husband cross the finish line with their children, when the bomb went off but was not harm. A YouTuber who I follow could have been there if he made he made the qualified time to attend. It's strange how life works that way.
I'm Just A Girl In The World
Take A Good Look At Me
Just Your Typical Prototype...

Registration Staff: 2012-2014

#9 User is offline   Prayer Police 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:50 PM

My thoughts also go out to the 37 people killed in Iraq today.
Attackers Strike Across Iraq as Elections Approach
^^Post of the Day!!!!^^

FaceBook:Cedric Paul Mamuri DeviantART:PrayerPolice Instagram:PrayerPolice Pinterest:Prayer Police
Twitter:@PrayerPolice XBox gamertag:Prayer Police PS3 account ID:PrayerPolice Steam:Prayer Police

#10 User is offline   Lightstar45 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 63107

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:09 PM

Over 50 people killed, 2 people currently reported dead, one being an eight-year-old boy. Two bombs went off, the event at the JFK library was a mechanical room fire and was not related. No one was harmed. A third bomb was found and detonated by police and is being brought in for evidence. They have one man in custody but have NO reason to suspect he was involved personally in the bombings. According to reports he is being completely cooperative and is denying any involvement.

A majority of the injuries are major, going from lacerations from glass, shattered ear drums due to the explosion and amputation of limbs from the bombs. Cell phone services are not down but police are requesting that people do not call anyone via cellphones in the area because they could possibly set off another bomb. Lines are blocked up from mass calls. Texts are allowed.

The white house and other major cities such as Chicago, New York and California are increasing all security. Flights, subways and trains have been delayed in the Boston area and the FBI is sending out fighter jets to secure the air space over the area.

That's pretty much the gist of everything going on that I've gathered from four hours of watching new reports on this incident.
"It is a miracle for any two like-minded people to meet within the chaotic flux...That's why forging bonds and relationships is a form of happiness...That is the root cause of...the joys of being alive..."

-Aigis "Persona 3 FES"

#11 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 33629

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:52 PM

Still watching the news coverage and I can't even stand how stupid and senseless this is.
Marathon runners? Really? Not even the runners really, but the spectators there to support their friends and family.
There is no possible agenda to this attack except to kill and hurt a lot of people at one time.

I can't even fathom why anybody would do that.

Damn Thread's fearless leaderReluctant Member of the Little Maids CorpsUGUU~
ACen 2013 Cosplay: LOL whatever I manage to throw together at this point...-_-;;

#12 User is offline   NinjaJedi007 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 59569

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:55 PM

The whole situation is crazy. Buzzfeed had photos and videos that people took at the event... disturbing stuff. I wonder what possible explanation for this could be?
Dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

#13 User is offline   -JUNK- 

• Forum Hell Raven
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 19299

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:02 PM

I just woke up not too long ago and my Housemate told me over dinner about it and I was kinda clueless but one I woke up more it settles in more and has more of a shock. =[ Humanity why must you be so upsetting sometimes.

This post has been edited by -JUNK-: 15 April 2013 - 07:02 PM

ACen 15"

*~Proud Supporter of the GBLT Community.~*

#14 User is offline   KirbyFanOne 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 49272

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:32 PM

I should have never looked at the news today. When I see something like this happen, I can't help but feel like everyone has lost their minds. Schools, marathons, movie theaters, even shopping centers; you go here thinking you're going about your business. But then you find you were at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Seeing so many people having to get amputations, they're never going to be the same again. The ones who survive the blasts are the ones I feel the worst for.

Today was already a bad day, and this just makes it even worse. I just can't believe or put faith into other humans much more.
Currently watching: People make fools of themselves
Currently reading: Text on a screen
Currently playing: Mind games

This is a turkey ---> o3o

#15 User is offline   Fantasia 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 63205

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:43 PM

I was on my way to my therapy session when my friend spilled the news for me through text. Its just utterly disappointing.
Honestly I have an idea about who caused the bombing, but I guess it isn't uncommon for the US to get bombing threats. Sigh.
It isn't fir so many innocent people got affected. It was a race, for gods sake.
ACen COSPLAYS 2015:

Giratina

#16 User is offline   Alkaren Hyralt 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6130

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:09 PM

View PostFantasia, on 15 April 2013 - 08:43 PM, said:

Honestly I have an idea about who caused the bombing

Yeah, me too. A crazy person.
-Zac /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
ACen 2007 - Present - Forums Manager
ACen 2012 - Guest Relations Handlers DH
ACen 2010, 2011 - Guest Relations Operations ADH
ACen 2008, 2009 - Main Programming ADH
ACen 2006, 2007 - Main Programming Staff
Drunken Otaku Syndicate Member - "This is what happens when you give me vodka that tastes like water!"
Alcoholic Hunter X of the ROS Order
AIM: Alkaren Hyralt / Facebook: alkaren
Questions about forums registration or in general please e-mail us

#17 User is offline   Prayer Police 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:33 PM

Before you loose faith in humanity,
think about that small group of perpetrators (or even just one person), then look at the current scenes on the TV and see the number of people helping out.
^^Post of the Day!!!!^^

#18 User is offline   Sayuri-chan 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 3228

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:19 PM

^This made me tear up. Thank you for the beam of light in my day. :)
♥ ACen REG STAFF: 2005-2008 ♥
♥ Persona owns my soul. Proud to be a member of the UYFA! Proud Supporter of the I.R.T.!
"The Chumps" are back to entertain and amuse. Come join us Friday, in Panel Room 4 from 12:30-2:45pm, and Saturday/Sunday in Panel Room 12, from 12:45-3:15a.
Cosplay for 2014 ACen:|Skull Kid--LOZ: Majora's Mask/0% complete|||Genkai-Yuu Yuu Hakusho/100% complete|||Sir Integra Fairbrook Wingates Hellsing-Hellsing Ultimate Abridged Ver./75% complete
Current quote: "Costumes, I need to do that still...Costumes, I need to do that still...Costumes, I need to do that still..."
Current blurb: はい、少し日本語を話します。たのしすぎる! ♪♫♪♫音楽が大好き!♪♫♪♫

#19 User is offline   Alcatraz 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 62809

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:26 PM

You know its things like this that seriously makes me consider re-enlisting again. :angry:

#20 User is offline   Genichiro 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 61483

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:20 AM

I remember seeing this all earlier. The photos from the area are pretty bad. I hope everyone injured is able to recover. The people who had to have limbs amputated though... that's just plain messed up. I hope they catch the guy who did this soon.

#21 User is offline   Whodigiya 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 63372

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:49 AM

View PostAlcatraz, on 15 April 2013 - 11:26 PM, said:

You know its things like this that seriously makes me consider re-enlisting again. :angry:/>

Yeah, then you can help out with this as well: http://edition.cnn.c...ides/index.html
Everything I say is either true or extremely handsome!

#22 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:43 AM

I read about the Richard family this morning. Man...

#23 User is offline   YoungBirdcall 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 59429

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:59 AM

View PostPrayer Police, on 15 April 2013 - 10:33 PM, said:

Before you loose faith in humanity,
think about that small group of perpetrators (or even just one person), then look at the current scenes on the TV and see the number of people helping out.

Well said.
"Thursday Late Night Meet 'n Greet" O.G. (the one at the bar, not that pancake one)

#24 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3332

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:14 PM

You know its things like this that seriously makes me consider re-enlisting again. :angry:/>/>

it's not really clear whether this was a foreign or domestic terrorist attack yet.

oddly enough, anti-US foreign terrorist organizations haven't claimed responsibility for it yet, which is something they usually do whether they're responsible or not. maybe it's because of the relatively small death count?
personally, it's total conjecture, but i'm gonna guess it was a domestic terrorist; homemade bombs, and the lack of any sort of religious context so far just give me the domestic terrorist vibe.

it's really disturbing that one of the few people killed in the blast happened to be an 8-year-old..

This post has been edited by Keiichi-chan: 16 April 2013 - 03:15 PM

#25 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 28448

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:50 PM

This entire situation is absolutely heart breaking. There are so many factors that until we know who did it, anything we say is just speculation, and that just makes it scarier. The two that stand out to me is the fact that it was an international event, and yesterday was also Tax Day.
Cosplay 2012: Mitsuki Saya (Black Cat), Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai)
Cosplay 2013: Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai) I didn't have my camera; please send me pictures! ;A;

"A blank piece of paper is God's way of telling us how hard it is to be God."
-Sidney Sheldon

#26 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 1435

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:05 PM

View PostKeiichi-chan, on 16 April 2013 - 03:14 PM, said:

it's not really clear whether this was a foreign or domestic terrorist attack yet.

oddly enough, anti-US foreign terrorist organizations haven't claimed responsibility for it yet, which is something they usually do whether they're responsible or not. maybe it's because of the relatively small death count?
personally, it's total conjecture, but i'm gonna guess it was a domestic terrorist; homemade bombs, and the lack of any sort of religious context so far just give me the domestic terrorist vibe.

Not necessarily. Osama bin Laden waited months before finally claiming 9/11 as his. His private notes record he was celebrating "victory" on 9/11, but he didn't claim it publicly, and even when he did, he didn't say "Yep, it was totally me, I did that!" but rather claimed "It was the brothers". The Pan Am 103 and UTA bombings of the late 1980s were never claimed by any terrorist organization; it was only after years of investigation that it was pinned on Libya. (The reasoning behind Pan Am 103 was Qaddafi figuring that if he started crowing about it, the US would pound him into even smaller pieces.)

It's pretty common for Hamas to claim bombings publicly because they want to be seen as great heroes for attacking Israel. This was pretty common during the 1980s as well for terror groups to claim responsibility, but being Hellfired by drones or killed by your cellphone courtesy of Mossad has a way of taking the "glory" out of being a terrorist.

According to the reports I've been reading, the type of bombs used--pressure cookers, activated by timers, with wood, nails, and ball bearings used as shrapnel--is a hallmark of foreign terrorists. Similar bombs are popular in Afghanistan as IEDs (because pressure cookers are not going to be confiscated) and were used in the Mumbai bombings of 2006. An Al-Qaeda "how to" video posted on the Internet pretty much was an instruction guide on how to build these bombs.

So does that mean it was al-Qaeda types? Not necessarily. Using shrapnel for mass casualties has been used by bombers since the Civil War; the French Resistance used it against the Germans during WWII and the VC in Vietnam. American troops liked to tape thermite grenades to Claymore mines during Vietnam (a Claymore is already sending out ball bearings at supersonic speeds; thermite adds fire to the mix). It hints towards a foreign terrorist, that's all.

It could be anyone: al-Qaeda, an American sympathetic to radical Islam (like the Fort Hood shooter), a left-wing nutball (like Jared Loughner), a right-wing nutball (like Timothy McVeigh), anarchists (like the Earth Liberation Front) or hell, even the North Koreans (yesterday was Kim Il-Sung's birthday). I'm as guilty as anyone else of speculating, which we shouldn't do.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#27 User is offline   Kyuu 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 348

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:11 PM

You know its things like this that seriously makes me consider re-enlisting again. :angry:/>

As a marathoner myself, I find the news of this incident vexing myself. At the same time, you should hold your horses, until the authorities determine who was behind all this.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. -- Ferris Bueller

Anime Currently Watching

#28 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3332

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:30 PM

View Postsentinel28a, on 16 April 2013 - 04:05 PM, said:

Not necessarily. Osama bin Laden waited months before finally claiming 9/11 as his. His private notes record he was celebrating "victory" on 9/11, but he didn't claim it publicly, and even when he did, he didn't say "Yep, it was totally me, I did that!" but rather claimed "It was the brothers". The Pan Am 103 and UTA bombings of the late 1980s were never claimed by any terrorist organization; it was only after years of investigation that it was pinned on Libya. (The reasoning behind Pan Am 103 was Qaddafi figuring that if he started crowing about it, the US would pound him into even smaller pieces.)

It's pretty common for Hamas to claim bombings publicly because they want to be seen as great heroes for attacking Israel. This was pretty common during the 1980s as well for terror groups to claim responsibility, but being Hellfired by drones or killed by your cellphone courtesy of Mossad has a way of taking the "glory" out of being a terrorist.

According to the reports I've been reading, the type of bombs used--pressure cookers, activated by timers, with wood, nails, and ball bearings used as shrapnel--is a hallmark of foreign terrorists. Similar bombs are popular in Afghanistan as IEDs (because pressure cookers are not going to be confiscated) and were used in the Mumbai bombings of 2006. An Al-Qaeda "how to" video posted on the Internet pretty much was an instruction guide on how to build these bombs.

So does that mean it was al-Qaeda types? Not necessarily. Using shrapnel for mass casualties has been used by bombers since the Civil War; the French Resistance used it against the Germans during WWII and the VC in Vietnam. American troops liked to tape thermite grenades to Claymore mines during Vietnam (a Claymore is already sending out ball bearings at supersonic speeds; thermite adds fire to the mix). It hints towards a foreign terrorist, that's all.

It could be anyone: al-Qaeda, an American sympathetic to radical Islam (like the Fort Hood shooter), a left-wing nutball (like Jared Loughner), a right-wing nutball (like Timothy McVeigh), anarchists (like the Earth Liberation Front) or hell, even the North Koreans (yesterday was Kim Il-Sung's birthday). I'm as guilty as anyone else of speculating, which we shouldn't do.

Ben Da Mad Irishman

that's what i was trying to getting at--often there are a myriad of different claims from individuals and anti-US groups internationally, not necessarily the person who's actually responsible. every account and update i've read so far didn't have a single claim from anyone that they were the person responsible yet; so i found it weird. but you're right. there are many instances where no one stepped forward to take credit for a terrorist attack, as well.

my own personal heresay is assuming that it's an american citizen associated with or sympathetic to a foreign terrorist group, but that's just my blind guessing (based on how it was carried out, the scale of the attack, etc)since there's no substantial info about who carried out the bombing yet. i wanted to make the point that it could be an attack from any source at this point. north korea seems the most dubious to me, personally, but we can't really rule anyone out, nor can we presume anyone is most likely responsible quite yet.

This post has been edited by Keiichi-chan: 16 April 2013 - 04:33 PM

#29 User is offline   Kaay-chan 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 28448

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:08 PM

View PostKeiichi-chan, on 16 April 2013 - 04:30 PM, said:

my own personal heresay is assuming that it's an american citizen associated with or sympathetic to a foreign terrorist group, but that's just my blind guessing (based on how it was carried out, the scale of the attack, etc)since there's no substantial info about who carried out the bombing yet. i wanted to make the point that it could be an attack from any source at this point. north korea seems the most dubious to me, personally, but we can't really rule anyone out, nor can we presume anyone is most likely responsible quite yet.

It might have nothing to do with a foreign group, too. This could easily be a domestic group that hates our country so much that they're trying to make the country look bad by attacking an international event on our soil. I don't know if there are any groups that might dislike the fact that we hold an international event, but it could be that too. It might be someone attacking the event because it's such an old and symbolic marathon. It could be someone angry about their taxes who's either attacking the marathon as a scapegoat or because they wanted to attack people who were happy and having a good time. My understanding is that the kind of bombs used are simple enough and the items used to make it common enough that someone with too much anger and too much time on the internet could make one.
Cosplay 2012: Mitsuki Saya (Black Cat), Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai)
Cosplay 2013: Ryougi Shiki (Kara no Kyoukai) I didn't have my camera; please send me pictures! ;A;

"A blank piece of paper is God's way of telling us how hard it is to be God."
-Sidney Sheldon

#30 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 1435

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:56 PM

I don't really think it's North Korea--they'd go for something splashy, like an airliner, and they'd probably hit South Korea or Japan first. The Norks have never tried anything on American soil, because they know what would happen in retaliation (something including the words "radioactive" and "parking lot").

I just threw that out there as an example of WHNI (We Have No Idea). Heck, maybe someone thinks the voices in his or her head told them to do it, or they were pissed that Twilight Sparkle's an alicorn. There's been airliners blown up and hundreds killed for insurance money. Hinckley tried to kill Reagan because he wanted to impress Jodi Foster.

Again, WHNI. And that's what is so damn frustrating.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users