Anime Central Forums: Need Gluten-Free Food planning help :( - Anime Central Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Need Gluten-Free Food planning help :(

#1 User is offline   Annamika 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 18397
  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: 15-May 08

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:33 PM

Hi all, I wanted to see if anyone else goes to ACen with a gluten allergy and what you usually bring for food. Last year was the first year I had to figure out gluten free food since the few years before that I wasn't able to go to ACen. I remember last year bringing GF bread, peanut butter, and jelly. I also brought GF snacks. If you have this allergy, then you know how expensive it can get. Last year my husband and I scanned the menus trying to find me something decent to eat. So far the closest was a Chinese place that delivered. They were very patient in helping us figuring out if any of the ingredients that used in one of their dishes contained wheat/gluten. I ended up eating a quart of red pork and some white rice. It was ok but couldn't do much.

This year my husband and I are attending but now there is an extra factor. I can not snack on the usual snacks or PBJs because I am pregnant. I'm trying to find a more variety that might be available this year near ACen. Does anyone know of any places offering gluten free food? If not in a short driving distance, maybe they deliver? It was also not easy going to Mitsuwas and not be able to eat their soup anymore. Made me very sad and I have to try and see if their products contain ingredients in english on them. What type of GF stuff do you bring with too? I think a store in town has a few rice noodle soups that might be gluten free. I remember trying 1 once and it wasn't tasty at all. And also, does anyone know if a microwave is available in the DoubleTree? Since Stracks/Ultra took over our nearest PayLow, many gluten free foods have disappeared from the area but very rarely can I still find something that might be microwaved.

#2 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

  • Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 24895
  • Posts: 1,131
  • Joined: 26-February 09
  • Location:Cicero

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:04 PM

There's a small breakfast/lunch place not too far from the rosemont, it's around a block from Giodanos pizza. I'm pretty sure you can see if they can make you some sandwiches and other items that are as such.

Also here is a list of places in the area. Again, pretty sure that most if you request it can make a gluten free meal given that there are people on such a plan. At least one of the resturants here mentions having gluten free items.

http://www.rosemont.com/dining.php

I might also suggest finding out from the hotel you are at if the staff down there can make gluten free food and send it up. I know it's not the cheapest solution but it's a lot better then other things.

That's about all I can tell you. I hope that helps a bit. I know my cousins have alleriges to certain foods and when they go out they ask if the food can be prepared differently in most cases. :balloons:
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013


Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#3 User is offline   Yandere Emi 

  • Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 61049
  • Posts: 93
  • Joined: 13-October 11
  • Location:Wisconsin

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:12 PM

Hi!
I have gluten intolerance, too. :)

The times I have stayed in the Double Tree there hasn't been a microwave. :( You can ask the front desk though! Hormel microwave chili is GF and doesn't need to be refrigerated and can be microwaved like Chef Boyardee.

Last year I brought a cooler with sandwiches, as well as squeezy applesauce, pumpkin seeds, and a few other snacks.
Since last year, a Mexican place https://www.facebook...obeGilasChicago has opened up behind the parking garage by the Double Tree/Embassy. I plan on heading there this year since Mexican usually has several GF options! I will be calling them within a few weeks to find out what is safe, but Mexican is my favorite choice for GF meals! :)

There are also several steakhouses close to ACen (I've never gone because I'm not a big meat person :) ), but they usually have several GF dinner options as well!

Yeah - nothing besides some sushi at the Mitsuwa restaurants is safe. I was hoping their soba would be only buckwheat, but nope - I was really sick afterwards. :(

If you want to message me about other snack ideas and things, go ahead! :)
My Cosplay Blog (with Cellomanlove)

ACen 2014: Shindou Ai (Kyoukai no Kanata/Beyond the Boundary - Idol ver.), Irisviel von Einzbern (Fate/zero - coat version), Jakuzure Nonon (Kill la Kill)

ACen 2013: Hibari (Double H) & Caster/Extra
ACen 2012 : Kaname Madoka & Irisviel von Einzbern

#4 User is offline   Wingy Baby 

  • Panel Programming ADH
  • PipPip
  • Group: Forum Staff
  • Member No.: 4396
  • Posts: 319
  • Joined: 01-May 05
  • Location:Chicago-ish

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:03 PM

Gluten intolerance checking in here as well.

I will be bringing bread, Kind Bars (they're gluten free, delicious and usually on sale), fruit and a couple premade veggie dishes in tubberware also in a cooler. There are also a number of places that are starting to have gf instant noodles - trader joe's and snapdragon are two I can recall off the top of my head. Both are delicious, if a little salty.

Good luck!
"When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before."
- Mae West

#5 User is offline   Smokey 

  • Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6522
  • Posts: 606
  • Joined: 15-March 06
  • Location:Somewhere amid Ankh-Morpork, Xanth and Amsterdam

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:33 PM

I just did a Grubhub search for Vegetarian and Healthy and came up with 31 results. https://www.grubhub....cuisine=62%2C31
Hope that helps.
The Special Needs & ADA Compliance Department is dedicated to making sure that nobody has to miss anything that ACen has to offer because of a physical challenge or medical condition.

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Compliments? Complaints?

Visit us at http://acen.org/cont...-ada-compliance or send an email to adacompliance-dh@acen.org

Number of ACens attended: 15, Number of years on staff: 6, 2010 Staff MVP Award

#6 User is offline   vika838 

  • Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 58943
  • Posts: 103
  • Joined: 27-October 10

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:29 PM

I have a gluten allergy and am pregnant as well. I won't be at ACen this year because I'm due in about a week, but I understand how difficult it can be to have your already limited diet limited by pregnancy as well. A lot of people don't understand that being gluten free means eating foods that are almost the opposite of a vegetarian/low fat diet, and that cross-contamination can be a real issue. After 4 years of ACen attendance I haven't found ANY nearby restaurants that have adequate/safe gluten free accommodation, and you CANNOT count on a chef at a regular being knowledgeable about your diet when all the nutrition needs of you and your baby are on the line. That said, depending on the severity of your allergy, there is a chipotle within driving distance that can make a burrito bowl with veggies, protein, and dairy that can hit the spot. I would suggest lots of fresh fruit and veggies in easy to carry tupperware (low acid if you need it), and fruit and nut bars like Glenny's, KIND, or Larabars for snacks. Another option is Boost or Ensure which can get you through to a meal. I would have suggested peanut butter or other nut butter as well since it is a good source of protein (unless you already have a peanut allergy) which I was assured by my doctor will not cause the baby to develop a peanut allergy in utero. If you can get a hold of a fridge and microwave, great, that opens up a world of options like hot cheese sandwiches, a tuna melt (but only one can of chunk light/low mercury during your stay), tv dinners, yogurt, or dinty moor beef stew. That said I have tried for 3 years to get a microwave at the Crowne Plaza reserving one months in advance making clear it was an allergy/disability request only to be told tough they were all gone by the time I checked in. So I wouldn't count on having access to more than a cooler and coffee maker. The salad bar in the cafeteria across from the Hyatt can be sketchy but if you're desperate, it's there. Best of luck and congratulations on your pregnancy!
Love and Peace!

Vika!

#7 User is offline   Annamika 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 18397
  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: 15-May 08

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:45 AM

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 15 April 2013 - 01:04 PM, said:

There's a small breakfast/lunch place not too far from the rosemont, it's around a block from Giodanos pizza. I'm pretty sure you can see if they can make you some sandwiches and other items that are as such.

Also here is a list of places in the area. Again, pretty sure that most if you request it can make a gluten free meal given that there are people on such a plan. At least one of the resturants here mentions having gluten free items.

http://www.rosemont.com/dining.php

I might also suggest finding out from the hotel you are at if the staff down there can make gluten free food and send it up. I know it's not the cheapest solution but it's a lot better then other things.

That's about all I can tell you. I hope that helps a bit. I know my cousins have alleriges to certain foods and when they go out they ask if the food can be prepared differently in most cases.



View PostYandere Emi, on 15 April 2013 - 01:12 PM, said:

Hi!
I have gluten intolerance, too. :)/>/>/>/>/>

The times I have stayed in the Double Tree there hasn't been a microwave. :(/>/>/>/>/> You can ask the front desk though! Hormel microwave chili is GF and doesn't need to be refrigerated and can be microwaved like Chef Boyardee.

Last year I brought a cooler with sandwiches, as well as squeezy applesauce, pumpkin seeds, and a few other snacks.
Since last year, a Mexican place https://www.facebook...obeGilasChicago has opened up behind the parking garage by the Double Tree/Embassy. I plan on heading there this year since Mexican usually has several GF options! I will be calling them within a few weeks to find out what is safe, but Mexican is my favorite choice for GF meals! :)/>/>/>/>/>

There are also several steakhouses close to ACen (I've never gone because I'm not a big meat person :)/>/>/>/>/> ), but they usually have several GF dinner options as well!

Yeah - nothing besides some sushi at the Mitsuwa restaurants is safe. I was hoping their soba would be only buckwheat, but nope - I was really sick afterwards. :(/>/>/>/>/>

If you want to message me about other snack ideas and things, go ahead! :)/>/>/>/>/>



View PostWingy Baby, on 15 April 2013 - 02:03 PM, said:

Gluten intolerance checking in here as well.

I will be bringing bread, Kind Bars (they're gluten free, delicious and usually on sale), fruit and a couple premade veggie dishes in tubberware also in a cooler. There are also a number of places that are starting to have gf instant noodles - trader joe's and snapdragon are two I can recall off the top of my head. Both are delicious, if a little salty.

Good luck!



View PostSmokey, on 15 April 2013 - 03:33 PM, said:

I just did a Grubhub search for Vegetarian and Healthy and came up with 31 results. https://www.grubhub....cuisine=62%2C31
Hope that helps.



View Postvika838, on 15 April 2013 - 04:29 PM, said:

I have a gluten allergy and am pregnant as well. I won't be at ACen this year because I'm due in about a week, but I understand how difficult it can be to have your already limited diet limited by pregnancy as well. A lot of people don't understand that being gluten free means eating foods that are almost the opposite of a vegetarian/low fat diet, and that cross-contamination can be a real issue. After 4 years of ACen attendance I haven't found ANY nearby restaurants that have adequate/safe gluten free accommodation, and you CANNOT count on a chef at a regular being knowledgeable about your diet when all the nutrition needs of you and your baby are on the line. That said, depending on the severity of your allergy, there is a chipotle within driving distance that can make a burrito bowl with veggies, protein, and dairy that can hit the spot. I would suggest lots of fresh fruit and veggies in easy to carry tupperware (low acid if you need it), and fruit and nut bars like Glenny's, KIND, or Larabars for snacks. Another option is Boost or Ensure which can get you through to a meal. I would have suggested peanut butter or other nut butter as well since it is a good source of protein (unless you already have a peanut allergy) which I was assured by my doctor will not cause the baby to develop a peanut allergy in utero. If you can get a hold of a fridge and microwave, great, that opens up a world of options like hot cheese sandwiches, a tuna melt (but only one can of chunk light/low mercury during your stay), tv dinners, yogurt, or dinty moor beef stew. That said I have tried for 3 years to get a microwave at the Crowne Plaza reserving one months in advance making clear it was an allergy/disability request only to be told tough they were all gone by the time I checked in. So I wouldn't count on having access to more than a cooler and coffee maker. The salad bar in the cafeteria across from the Hyatt can be sketchy but if you're desperate, it's there. Best of luck and congratulations on your pregnancy!



To everyone that has posted, thank you so much!

To Dark Spellmaster: Thank you for that link. I looked through it and it does show the restaurant Carlucci having gluten free pasta available and says its about 2 minutes from the convention. I can't wait to try their food! I will ask the hotel when I get there if there is anything we can do for my allergy, thanks. I clicked on Giodanos pizza just to check it out and it shows GF pizza and pasta available. You have given me 2 close places. :)/>/>/>/>

To Yandere Emi: I did not see on their website if they had a microwave but I will ask the desk. We brought a cooler of lunch meats last year but I gotta be careful with that this year cause of some bacteria that could harm the baby. Apple sauce- very good idea. I will have to try that chilli from Hormel. I have GF crackers to try with it too. Ouch, sucks about getting sick from Mitsuwas. Every year I think about their soup :(/>/>/>/> If you go to the mexican place and if they have refried beans, be careful about that. The mexican place we have in town makes their own refried beans and tastes really good. I'll be there Thursday through Monday so please let me know how the food is :)/>/>/>/> When I go to steak houses, I tend to get sick and tired of too much steak, lol! Saw the prices for one of the places and holy crap expensive!

To Wingy Baby: Is trader joe's and snapdragon a name brand or a store? I can't remember. I would love to try them. I keep looking for new things to try. I saw that Thai's Kitchen carries a large list of gluten free soups with rice noodles and such.

To Smokey: Thanks, I will check that out.

To vika838: Congrats to you on your baby! Boy or girl? Are you worried too about your baby having a 50% chance of getting the gluten allergy too? I worry about it a lot. I completely agree with you. I love Domino's gluten free pizza but always a little scared I might get sick from the contamination. I don't have Celiac Disease but I have the allergy still. Oi. I tried Chipotle once when I could eat gluten and it was nasty BUT I will try them again. I know there is one in Merrillville which is about 20-30 minutes from me. I was thinking of bringing apples for sure this year, especially Fuji apples for their low acid since I do have IBS also. Is Boost and Ensure tasty? O.o So far no luck on microwave from what I'm hearing. I am tempted to see if I should bring a toaster oven with. lol. Since there are some instant rice noodle soups, I know the coffee maker will come in handy for that. If there is no fridge or anything close to that, last year we kept refilling our cooler with ice. Thank you so much for your ideas and again congrats on your baby :)/>/>/>/>

#8 User is offline   Wingy Baby 

  • Panel Programming ADH
  • PipPip
  • Group: Forum Staff
  • Member No.: 4396
  • Posts: 319
  • Joined: 01-May 05
  • Location:Chicago-ish

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:06 PM

Trader Joe's is a store with their own brand, Snapdragon is just a brand.
"When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before."
- Mae West

#9 User is offline   Kasumisty 

  • Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 2097
  • Posts: 318
  • Joined: 26-April 04
  • Location:Chicago

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:20 PM

Yeah I'd try Trader Joes... I usually bring a cooler that keeps stuff cold for 5 days like this: http://www.walmart.c...-Cooler/8586970
So I don't have to worry about stuff staying cold.
_____________
Member of the Shy Otaku Syndicate
Member of the Insomniac's Nightmare Guild
Top Plushy Guardian Commander in the Plushy Guardian Alliance

#10 User is offline   vicemage 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 10902
  • Posts: 29
  • Joined: 05-May 07

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:11 PM

There's quite a few Trader Joe's around Chicago; if you hit up the website ahead of time, there's a list of GF products there that can help you pre-plan before you arrive and make the shopping trip a little easier. And if you like chocolate, the GF chocolate chip brownies in the bakery are terrific! Good luck finding some good food sources for the weekend.

#11 User is offline   21rules 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 59355
  • Posts: 16
  • Joined: 21-January 11
  • Location:Sibley, IL

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:05 PM

My sister recently went gluten free and while we could not make ACen this year we did make it to Anime midwest wich is at the same location, before we left I researched a lotof restaraunts in the area and almost all of them had at least a few gluten free options and there is a really good italian place near by, the name escapes me at the moment but I remember it was voted as the areas best italian (I will add the name when I remember it) but they had a very good selection and for a small 1 or 2 dollar upcharge any pasta dish could be made with your choice of gluten free pastas. Hope this helps some of you and if/when I find the list I made I will post it.
Hello IT, have you tried turning it off and on again?

#12 User is offline   Wafflashizzles 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 62412
  • Posts: 26
  • Joined: 06-May 12

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:28 AM

If you guys don't mind heading out of con for food, you can ride the blue line for about 30-45 and find some kick butt eats short of downtown. It's a trip, of course.. but you'll certainly find a wider variety of food/gluten free items as you get closer to the metropolitan area. Alternatively, just go to grubhub on your phone or laptop or whatever and search up gluten free/veggie. Rosemont is a great place to order from on grubhub because you'll get a bunch of the suburb businesses that deliver plus some outer chicago establishments.

Oh! and if you felt like shopping while you're there, there is a Mariano's Supermarket 2 blocks out from the Cumberland Blue Line station across the highway. It's fantastic, and probably your best choice, though maybe a bit pricey. It's the next stop from the rosemont station.

I live in the area, so I could probably help you with other solutions too... Just toss me a message!

#13 User is online   randy r 

  • Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 523
  • Posts: 122
  • Joined: 21-May 03
  • Location:Lost in cornfields

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:56 AM

On the matter of Ensure, dark chocolate is good. Milk Chocolate is OK. I steer away from the Strawberry and vanilla. And, what ever you do, do NOT get generics or store brands like Equate, unless you like a chalk taste. You might also look at the Bolthouse brand of drinks. I know their chocolate and mocha drinks are gluten free. I'm a cancer patient who never has an appetite, so my oncologist has basically prescribed Ensure or Boost so I can get most of the proteins and vitamins I need.


edited cause I cain't spll.


View PostAnnamika, on 16 April 2013 - 11:45 AM, said:

To everyone that has posted, thank you so much!

-snip-


To vika838: Congrats to you on your baby! Boy or girl? Are you worried too about your baby having a 50% chance of getting the gluten allergy too? I worry about it a lot. I completely agree with you. I love Domino's gluten free pizza but always a little scared I might get sick from the contamination. I don't have Celiac Disease but I have the allergy still. Oi. I tried Chipotle once when I could eat gluten and it was nasty BUT I will try them again. I know there is one in Merrillville which is about 20-30 minutes from me. I was thinking of bringing apples for sure this year, especially Fuji apples for their low acid since I do have IBS also. Is Boost and Ensure tasty? O.o So far no luck on microwave from what I'm hearing. I am tempted to see if I should bring a toaster oven with. lol. Since there are some instant rice noodle soups, I know the coffee maker will come in handy for that. If there is no fridge or anything close to that, last year we kept refilling our cooler with ice. Thank you so much for your ideas and again congrats on your baby :)/>/>/>/>/>/>

This post has been edited by randy r: 24 March 2014 - 06:58 AM

randy


What, me worry?- Alfred E. Newman

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users