Anime Central Forums: The King of Fighters - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The King of Fighters It all began in '94...

#1 User is offline   Whodigiya 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 63372

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:13 AM

I play SFxT online a lot and I consider myself pretty average at that game, but my real love is for the KOF series. Unfortunately it's not all that popular where I'm at so I really don't get that many opportunities to get that great at the game. I would jump online when I have the chance and try my hand that way, but I play most of my games with other people offline and the big focus seems to be on SSF4, SFxT, and UMvC3.

Anyways, I really enjoyed KOFXIII (current team: Andy, EX Kyo, Mr. Karate). My favorite game in the series is probably KOF2002 UM (which might be on Steam!). Where are all the KOF fans at?
Everything I say is either true or extremely handsome!

#2 User is offline   Level-5 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 62879

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:03 AM

Me.

I cosplayed Yuri (well evil Yuri,) once.

My team used to be: Shingo, Kyo, Iori. Back in 95'+ it was Psycho team. Now I'm trying to use: Kensou, Kyo, and Athena or the love triangle pairing. I don't play on steam because I can't use a joystick on my pc and I don't play competitively. I do try to play when I can on my PS3.

I like Kensou the most due to the "It's over 9000!" shout out.

I haven't practice much due to Persona 4 fighting arena.

#3 User is offline   Whodigiya 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:20 AM

Remember in KOF2K1 when Yuri had the Shungokusatsu? That was hilarious.

I have a few Hit Boxes and some sticks that are all compatible with all systems, but I main Hit Box (pretty much like a keyboard). I don't play tournament level anything, but I'm fairly competitive if there are people to learn with. I really love to play no matter how hard I lose though, as long as the person I play with has the patience for my games and cheesy jokes.

Shingo gets a bad rep in previous titles, but I really like him as well. He was one of my favorite characters in KOF2002. I wish they'd release the KOFUM games for PSN.

Kensou IS a funny character, him and Robert had some odd synergy in KOF98 as evidenced by their entrance.

I miss Saisyu, Lin, Yamazaki, and Blue Mary...

#4 User is offline   cactusmomma 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 3528

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:13 PM

My current XIII team is King, Ryo, and Yuri.. and I'll take on anyone on XBL or at ACen with it~

#5 User is offline   Whodigiya 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

Ryo has always been one of the characters I anchor on, because he doesn't change all that much. I play most all my games on PSN, but maybe I'll play at ACen. I'm no good, though.

Also, I know you from CX. I've been remiss at my job as a Patron of Justice as of late. Truth be told, as much as I love Kim, I could never use him in any KOF outside of KOFXI and maybe the Max Impact Games. I was a big fan of Hanzo in MI2.

#6 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 9384

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:37 PM

Kofxiii needs more shingo.

Tho k', kyo,andy, saiki and mature are the folks I use

Tho team wise...Kyo, Saiki, and K' honestly, i rarely ever play kof, tho i love the series. Shingo is my favorite character and I always use him. SHINGO KICK. Lol And Iori with flames. Those two are my staples. (i hate dlc, so i didn't get iori with flames...and Shingo is still in the hospital. They need a kofxiii dream match edition.

This post has been edited by XenoBlade: 14 April 2013 - 05:24 PM

ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
Zero Escape 2: Virtue's Last Reward-Sigma
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

#7 User is offline   Aiddon Valentin 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 5880

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:10 PM

I only started playing the series with XIII, having no prior experience with it firsthand. It's not my favorite fighting game, but it is very good though I felt SNK and Atlus mismarketed XIII due to showing all though highly impractical Drive combos. Still, definitely a different take on 2D fighting and I wish SNK would hurry up with a XIV (hopefully with Vanessa, Mary, and Malin). My teams are more centered around themes than anything:

Heroes: Terry, K', EX-Kyo

Anti-Heroes: Iori, Shen Woo, Duo Lon

Bad Boys: EX-Iori, Hwa Jai, Billy Kane

Women: King, Kula, Elizabeth
Kuchiki Byakuya: Ohayocon '06
Kuchiki Byakuya: ACen '06
Rose: Ohayocon '07
Part of Shinigami Squad '06

#8 User is offline   Whodigiya 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:08 PM

Oooh, I forgot about Vanessa, Ramon, and Seth. I was actually watching some tournament footage of KOF2002 UM and there was a ridiculous Seth player there. I was impressed.

The whole world needs more Shingo. Before matches when I'd play as him I'd turn to my friends and say, "Shingo Kick." Bewildered, they'd responded, "What?" Then HCF+K, son, right after the FIGHT sign.

You know, Jhun was in the hospital, too. He and Shingo need to get better and do it to it.

It'd be cool if they made another Dream Match game and bundled it with the other two Dream Match titles. That will probably never happen, though.

#9 User is offline   Prayer Police 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 11087

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:17 AM

Always thought the KOF series was better than the SF series.
The NeoGeo engine was superior for so long.

This post has been edited by Prayer Police: 15 April 2013 - 04:13 PM

^^Post of the Day!!!!^^

FaceBook:Cedric Paul Mamuri DeviantART:PrayerPolice Instagram:PrayerPolice Pinterest:Prayer Police
Twitter:@PrayerPolice XBox gamertag:Prayer Police PS3 account ID:PrayerPolice Steam:Prayer Police

2014 cosplays: Doge......just Doge.

#10 User is offline   XenoBlade 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 9384

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:38 AM

View PostAiddon Valentin, on 14 April 2013 - 06:10 PM, said:

I only started playing the series with XIII, having no prior experience with it firsthand. It's not my favorite fighting game, but it is very good though I felt SNK and Atlus mismarketed XIII due to showing all though highly impractical Drive combos. Still, definitely a different take on 2D fighting and I wish SNK would hurry up with a XIV (hopefully with Vanessa, Mary, and Malin). My teams are more centered around themes than anything:

Heroes: Terry, K', EX-Kyo

Anti-Heroes: Iori, Shen Woo, Duo Lon

Bad Boys: EX-Iori, Hwa Jai, Billy Kane

Women: King, Kula, Elizabeth

Have you not seen tourney vids? Drive cancels are used a lot. Even in casual regular average matches. They are very useful. Just like focus canceling is for sf4 (same concept)
ACen 2013 Cosplays
Dragon Ball Z-Piccolo
Zero Escape 2: Virtue's Last Reward-Sigma
3rd cosplay:Either Zoro(One Piece),Sazh(Final Fantasy XIII), or Gintoki(Gintama).
"Sometimes I do suspect, I'm an actor in a well scripted live divine comedy..."-Shing02

#11 User is offline   Whodigiya 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:16 AM

View PostXenoBlade, on 15 April 2013 - 08:38 AM, said:

Have you not seen tourney vids? Drive cancels are used a lot. Even in casual regular average matches. They are very useful. Just like focus canceling is for sf4 (same concept)

He's right, when you said "impractical drive combos" I assumed you meant those "run away from the projectile so it hits behind you so you can continue an otherwise impossible" combo. I use drive cancels all the time and set my team up specifically to get the best use out of my meter. They're not actually that hard to do once you learn the timing. Hyper Drive mode is also very useful for my anchors, although I'm still working on my confirms. I haven't perfected any 100% combos yet. The best combos I got are with EX Kyo and Robert and I'm not actually particularly good at "getting there" yet. I'm still practicing alone so I don't see myself getting as far as I'd like.

I believe FADC combos are a tad more difficult than Drive Cancels, but Hyper Drive combos make me want to tear my hair out. One drop and it's pretty much over for my reign of terror. I drop combos in KOF like hip-hop stars drop beats. Not funky fresh at all.

#12 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 3332

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:42 PM

kof is much, much better than street fighter, yes.

my main guy is usually mr. bogard, with kensou and kyo as his support; i usually swap out kyo for joe or whomever fits my style well for that respective year, though.

My current XIII team is King, Ryo, and Yuri.. and I'll take on anyone on XBL or at ACen with it~

i'll play you at ACen. i remember your king cosplay from a few years ago, but i didn't know you were really good or whatever.

This post has been edited by Keiichi-chan: 15 April 2013 - 08:43 PM

#13 User is offline   Whodigiya 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:51 PM

View PostKeiichi-chan, on 15 April 2013 - 08:42 PM, said:

my main guy is usually mr. bogard, with kensou and kyo as his support; i usually swap out kyo for joe or whomever fits my style well for that respective year, though.

i'll play you at ACen. i remember your king cosplay from a few years ago, but i didn't know you were really good or whatever.

Wait, which Bogard? I assume Terry. If you play Andy maybe you can teach me some things. I used to use Terry as my anchor in KOF2002 and KOF99:Evolution.

I gotta say that my favorite soundtrack overall was the AST for KOF2000. I like tracks here and there in most of the games, but the whole album was good on that one. It was also one of the first game soundtracks I bought.

#14 User is offline   Aiddon Valentin 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 5880

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:45 AM

View PostXenoBlade, on 15 April 2013 - 08:38 AM, said:

I'm talking about the outrageous, "50% of your health gone in three seconds, 50 hit-long" combos. THOSE were the one I saw all the time in ATLUS' promos for the game, ones that (rightfully) nobody uses because they're too impractical. The shorter combos are used all the time just because they're more useful and there's less to worry about execution wise.
Kuchiki Byakuya: Ohayocon '06
Kuchiki Byakuya: ACen '06
Rose: Ohayocon '07
Part of Shinigami Squad '06

#15 User is offline   Whodigiya 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:19 AM

Well, if you have 3 meters and a full drive bar you can get a 75 hit combo out of Robert pretty easily, but I know what you mean. I think it's funnier when a game's trailers show ridiculous combos only to have people do MORE ridiculous combos during tourneys (SFxT is good for this).

#16 User is offline   Keiichi-chan 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 3332

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:01 PM

View PostWhodigiya, on 15 April 2013 - 08:51 PM, said:

Wait, which Bogard? I assume Terry. If you play Andy maybe you can teach me some things. I used to use Terry as my anchor in KOF2002 and KOF99:Evolution.

I gotta say that my favorite soundtrack overall was the AST for KOF2000. I like tracks here and there in most of the games, but the whole album was good on that one. It was also one of the first game soundtracks I bought.

yes, terry, although i'm okay with andy, too.

#17 User is offline   Level-5 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 62879

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:15 PM

I might cosplay Shingo in the future. I'm into AOE, Magi, and Dangan Ronpa 2 so I've been working on cosplaying those series next.

Sad that Shingo isn't in the games and isn't as popular anymore; he's my favorite. I like him much more than Ash.

#18 User is offline   Whodigiya 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:05 PM

Back in the day he got no love because he was considered "low tier"...

Talk to Infiltration about how he feels about "low tier" after playing Sethlolol. Shingo was like a "serious" joke character and I liked that.

#19 User is offline   cactusmomma 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 3528

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:44 AM

View PostKeiichi-chan, on 15 April 2013 - 08:42 PM, said:

I haven't been able to play since November, but I love finding new people to play against that don't have netcode lag!

Whodigya: Baby, we can finally meet. I say we have a match or two to put up over on CX, since your name is still very well known over there.

Any of you guys coming over the the Fighter's Friday cosplay gathering?

#20 User is offline   Whodigiya 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:38 AM

View Postcactusmomma, on 25 April 2013 - 02:44 AM, said:

I haven't been able to play since November, but I love finding new people to play against that don't have netcode lag!

Whodigya: Baby, we can finally meet. I say we have a match or two to put up over on CX, since your name is still very well known over there.

Any of you guys coming over the the Fighter's Friday cosplay gathering?

Hahahaa! I'm so bad at KOF, you'll destroy me. I can bring my camera so we can film the match, it'll be glorious. Everyone on CX will see how terrible their resident fanfic fanatic is. (sidenote: I'll probably be declaring a little bit of evil in the next few days... I don't think Kim ever said anything to King).

I gotta say, that being where I am now I can't play online, but I play many many offline matches. Playing online really changes the game: the timing is different and people tend to rely on some pretty bogus tactics.

I would like to see this gathering, but the closest "fighter" I'll be going as is Bushido Brown.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users