Anime Central Forums: American Comic and Educational Guests - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

American Comic and Educational Guests John Bivens, Steve Horton, Russell Lissau, and Trevor Mueller

#1 User is offline   El Ken 

• Guest Relations Section Chief
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 5629

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:45 AM

Anime Central welcomes back our veritable bevy of local comic artists: John Bivens, Steve Horton, Russell Lissau, and Trevor Mueller.

Reading With Pictures: http://www.readingwithpictures.org/

John Bivens:

John Bivens graduated from and now teaches at Northern Illinois University. He has done work for Sam Costello’s SPLIT LIP horror anthologies, COMIC BOOK TATTOO, POPGUN volume 4, the READING WITH PICTURES benefit anthology, OMEGA COMICS PRESENTS, and a variety of digital comics. John is working on OLD WOUNDS, a crime comic, with writer Russell Lissau. He spends whatever spare time he can with his lovely wife Mallory.
http://fishbones-ill...s.blogspot.com/

Steve Horton:

Steve Horton is the writer of the Dark Horse epic steampunk fantasy, Amala’s Blade, with one miniseries out in 2013 and another in 2014. He’s also done short stories for DC Comics and the non-profit Reading with Pictures anthology. When not writing comics and editing at the day job, Steve plays a lot of Magic and other games.

Russell Lissau:

By day, Russell Lissau is a mild-mannered newspaper reporter in suburban Chicago. By night, he battles evil writing comic books including THE BATMAN STRIKES!, STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE and DAILY GRIND. He broke into comics in 2005 with the lead story in BATMAN ALLIES SECRET FILES AND ORIGINS. His most recent projects include short stories in the highly regarded independent series OMEGA COMICS PRESENTS, the self-published western ONE LAST THING and the upcoming graphic novel OLD WOUNDS with art by fellow ACen guest John Bivens. To learn more, check out www.facebook.com/russell.lissau.

Trevor Mueller:

Trevor Mueller works at an advertising agency by day, and writes comics by night. He is the writer / artist / creator of several award-winning webcomic series (www.trevoramueller.com), and regularly reviews movies, video games, and comics.

Trevor has also self-published several other works including the all-ages stories ALBERT THE ALIEN and JUNKYARD CHASE. And has contributed stories to several anthologies, including HOPE: THE HERO INITIATIVE from Ronin Studios and READING WITH PICTURES from the non-profit of the same name.

Trevor gives lectures and presentations throughout the country at conventions and schools on several topics, including the power of combining creativity and literacy.

Trevor resides in the city of Chicago, with his cat Waffles.

Official post at http://www.acen.org/...cational-guests.
Ken Leiding

Guest Relations Section Chief (2011- )

Hotel/Convention Site Relations, Retired (2006-2010)

@kenleiding

「いっぺん死んで見る?」

#2 User is offline   rlissau 

• ACen Guest
  • Pip
  • Group: ACen Guest
  • Member No.: 18082

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:12 PM

Guest Russell Lissau here! Thank you so much, ACen organizers and fans, for inviting me and the gang back for another con. We've got great new books and art on our tables for sale, and we promise a bevy of fun, cant-miss panels for your night-time entertainment and education. Want to learn how to make webcomics? Come to a panel. Curious if Batman or Superman would win in a fight? Come to a panel. Want to hear about Amala's Blade, Albert the Alien and Old Wounds? Come to a panel.

See you next month!

#3 User is offline   trevoramueller 

• ACen Guest
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 51669

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:18 PM

Trevor Mueller here, returning as a guest to my favorite show of the year! Seriously, this show is awesome, and I am so greatful and humble to be invited back.

I'm going to be primarily set up by Artist Alley selling copies of my work, including a new graphic novel I'm premiering at the show!

Additionally, I'll be hosting a few panels throughout the weekend. Announcements to come forth-with, but Trevor and the Panel that Shall Not Be Named will likely be making a return, and it is not to be missed!

Thanks again so much for having me back, and I'm looking forward to being a part of another killer ACen!
Visit http://www.trevoramueller.com for your daily dose of awesome!

#4 User is offline   rlissau 

• ACen Guest
  • Pip

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:21 PM

And guess what? PANELS!

FRIDAY
7:30pm: Batman vs. Superman: Comic-book guests Russell Lissau and Steve Horton will talk about their favorite heroes, answer questions about writing in Gotham and Metropolis and decide who wins -- the Dark Knight or the Last Son of Krypton -- in situations suggested by the audience. FLORENCE ROOM

10:30pm: Murder, Ghosts and Swordplay: Russell Lissau, John Bivens and Steve Horton will give you sneak peeks at their upcoming projects, including Amala's Blade and Old Wounds. VIENNA ROOM

SATURDAY
8:15pm: So You Want to Make Comics: Russell, John, Steve and Trevor Mueller will answer all your questions about writing, drawing and the business of comics. It's never been easier or more fun to make comics, but there's a lot of work that needs to be done, too. NARITA ROOM

#5 User is offline   trevoramueller 

• ACen Guest
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 51669

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:56 AM

Official ACen panel schedule below:

FRIDAY:
Trevor and the Panel that Shall Not be Named
9:30pm-10:30pm
DaVinci A-B (Hyatt)

SATURDAY:
So you Want to Make Comics
8:15pm-9:15pm
Narita A-B (Hyatt)

Making Webcomics
9:30pm-10:30pm
Vienna (Hyatt)
Visit http://www.trevoramueller.com for your daily dose of awesome!

#6 User is offline   Steve Horton 

• ACen Guest
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 28080

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:20 PM

Hi folks! I have the same three panels as Russell above. Very excited about being a guest this year. See you there!

#7 User is offline   rlissau 

• ACen Guest
  • Pip

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:15 PM

My con report!

THURSDAY

I got to the con mid-afternoon and was immediately greeted by staffers and volunteers who I've befriended since I first was a guest at this con in 2008. Six years, I can't believe it. Then it was off to the room to unpack before going to the Red bar for a drink and some sketch card drawing. Once the rest of the comic-book guests (Trevor Mueller, Steve Horton, John Bivens and his wife Mallory Harrelson) arrived, we had dinner and drinks and talked about the fun to come.

FRIDAY

The day started with a little bump because of our table placement. We'd been directed to a dark corner of the vendors space, and we would've been lost there. So Steve and I scoured the room and found some available space for the group in Artist Alley, and that worked out great. Thanks to Elvis of Guest Relations for helping to sort that out, and also to Matt and Chris for helping us move our gear despite earlier promising we'd need nothing more than bottles of water over the course of the weekend. My sales on Friday were unexpectedly strong. That's something I LOVE about the ACen crowd, that they're willing to take a risk on a project that is out of their comfort zone. The anthologies CRIMINAL ELEMENT and THE BEST OF OMEGA COMICS PRESENTS sold particularly well. After the floor closed we had dinner at O'h and then headed off for panels. First came BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN, in which Steve Horton and I talked about why we love those two characters and their supporting players. It was a Q&A panel, and we got some great questions from the filled-to-capacity audience. We also had a guest star, Steve's wife Lori, who showed up to wish her hubby a happy 10th anniversary and to smooch on him a bit and dance with him, right in front of everyone! It was sweet. My second panel that night was with Steve and John Bivens, and it was a preview of the books we're working on. We used my iPad and a projector to show art from OLD WOUNDS, LIL CHARLIE, AMALA'S BLADE and other upcoming projects. After that it was off to V for drinks and fun. (Oh, I almost forgot – artist Gabe Bautista joined us all weekend at our tables, and he sold a ton of his watercolor sketch cards. Go Gabo!)

SATURDAY

Saturday's sales were slower for all of us, which was puzzling. Normally a stronger than usual Friday means Saturday will be even better, but we all experienced some dropoff. I think this is because so many people found us Friday and bought what they wanted right away, which is fine. Also, the crowd Saturday was ridiculously big. Many people did laps around AA without buying anything, just to take it all in. And don't get me wrong: Our sales weren't bad, just lower than the day before. I had one panel Saturday night: SO YOU WANT TO MAKE COMICS, with John, Trevor and Steve. Essentially we answered questions for an hour, putting our various areas of expertise to work for the crowd. We talked about promotion, self publishing, reading recommendations and much much more. I'd say the room was ¾ full, and again they asked some great questions. Hopefully they learned from what we told them.

SUNDAY

The final day. The crowd was big, perhaps as big as Saturday, which also was a surprise. Normally at an anime/manga show, the crowd is smaller on Sunday because kids are checking out of hotels and being picked up by their parents. But not today. We started with a big press conference at the Hyatt and then hit AA, where I was joined by my daughter, Meredith. We signed autographs for about an hour and then did some shopping in AA. She bought a neat Legend of Zelda trinket and bought her first art commission, asking Mallory to draw her as an Adventure Time character. It's adorable and we will frame it. The day finished with respectable sales numbers, and I was above my goal for the weekend. I headed home to unpack, shower and spend time with the family.

Thanks for making it a wonderful show!

#8 User is offline   rlissau 

• ACen Guest
  • Pip

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:26 PM

If you were press at ACen and participated in Sunday's interview, please be sure to give me a link to your stories or photos. Likewise, if you're a fan who filmed or photographed one of my panels, please send me links.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users