• You cannot reply to this topic

Scrub material stuff that scrubs are made of! :3

#1 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:20 PM

So self-explanatory, I'm looking for scrub material (preferably pink for a possible Nurse Angie cosplay). However, I'm having a hard time finding the actual scrub material--that's very soft/comfy and breathable. I have found stuff online, but my issue is that I want to feel the fabric--since all scrub material feels different (some scrubs are VERY hot, uncomfortable and rough on the skin). I haven't had the time to get out to Vogue or anywhere so far (due to school), but I was wondering if anyone knew if Vogue carried such a fabric/seen it there before? Or if anyone knows of any fabric stores that would have a fabric like that? I have a JoAnn's near my house and I haven't seen anything like that there before, so I was thinking of a higher caliber fabric store might sell that kind of material? Just trying to see my options of where I could purchase/look/feel the material. And if you have ever bought scrub material before, where did you buy it? ^_^;

I would just buy scrubs that I like but I'm making This, so I would need to get it by the yard to physically make her pink scrub outfit. Thanks! :D
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#2 User is offline   Tokoz 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 18712

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:15 AM

aren't scrubs just cotton/polyester blends? I would think a good/medium grade broadcloth like Kona would work, or a cotton/poly blend....

...hmm, yeah, I just did a quick search, and it looks like most of the "scrubs fabric" sites are just selling doctor-themed novelty cotton or cotton/polyester prints.... Okay, found a place that says their scrubs fabric has an antimicrobial coating on it, but otherwise it's still cotton or cotton/poly....

So, yeah. I'd go with cotton shirting or Kona cotton, or if you don't want wrinkles, a cotton-polyester you like the feel of. If you want to get it really soft, maybe toss it in the washing machine a couple times, and dry it with some clean tennis balls in the dryer?

#3 User is offline   Millions_Knives 

• Masquerade Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 8636

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:03 AM

ah feel knida lucky
my Jr college teaches nursing and so had a scrub store down the street
but this also means that the local thrift store has tons of scrubs in it
i have a few sets for making stuff in cuz im not worried about throwing them away

you likely thought of this
but i hope its helpful if you didnt
want to learn about cosplay materials? click here->my youtube cosplay tips and tricks<-click here

#4 User is offline   magishine 

• Tenkuu Yuusha
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 21997

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:53 PM

I think she was looking for the type of material that is used in scrubs. not so much wear to buy scrubs. they can get quite hot in the summer and wearing those outside. .....not pleasant.
uchu kitaaaaaa!!!!

Cosplays for ACen 2015 and progress made:

Unknown. Probably only going for a day in 2015

#5 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:18 PM

I just want to know where I can buy that sort of material by the yard, so I can actually feel the fabric, since certain scrub types are hot and uncomfortable, and aren't very good to wear in clinical practice, let alone wearing. ^^ thanks for the help so far everyone ^_^.
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#6 User is offline   Agatha 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 61511

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:01 PM

I think if the heat is a concern you might want to go with either all cotton or try to find a cotton/poly blend that's more cotton, less poly? It's my understanding that the synthetic fibers are generally a lot less breathable. That should also probably help with the softness, as long as you're not buying that scratchy $1-a-yard see-through cotton nastiness.

#7 User is offline   Tokoz 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 18712

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:18 PM

You should be able to find novelty printed cotton, cotton broadcloth, and cotton/polyester blends at fabric stores like Hancock Fabrics and JoAnn's (Though, Hobby Lobby and some Wal-Marts also carry novelty cotton and cotton broadcloth in smaller selections). If you're looking in those stores, and you're worried about breatheability, I'd go with Kona cotton broadcloth. It's a good, medium-weight cotton that comes in a wide range of solid colors. As mentioned above, as long as you avoid 100% polyester and high polyester content polyester/cotton blends, you should be fine for breatheability. The fiber content of a bolt of fabric should be listed on the top of the bolt near the price (or just ask a salesperson. That's our job, after all. ^_~)

Keep in mind when you feel the fabric at the store, though, that it's probably been treated to make it fold nicely and crisply on the bolt. After washing, it'll almost always be softer.

Cotton shirting might also work, though that tends to have less of a color selection (at least in my local stores) and can contain a bit of lycra for stretch.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users