Anime Central Forums: International Educational Guest: Helen McCarthy - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

International Educational Guest: Helen McCarthy

#1 User is offline   El Ken 

• Guest Relations Section Chief
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 5629

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:20 PM

Anime Central is happy to bring you all-around Japanese culture expert, Helen McCarthy!

Life is never dull for Helen. So far this year, she's been asked to teach at an English university, endorse and contribute to academic publications on anime, help to put together a costume exhibition, revise and update one of her earlier books and write a history of manga in three months. She's also got a publisher reading her novel. On a sadder note, in January she attended the funeral of one of her childhood icons, Supermarionation creator Gerry Anderson.

Then again, life has never been dull since she first encountered Japanese popular culture in Europe over thirty years ago. There was no book on anime in English, so she set out to write one. She's now had ten non-fiction books published, and has lectured and led workshops on three of the seven continents. (She'd really love to do the Arctic & Antarctic next, so if anyone's running a convention there, come and say hello!)

Helen loves conventions. She attended her first, the first British Star Trek Convention, in 1974. Her first American convention was Boskone in 1977. Her first anime convention was ANIME DAY, the first British anime convention, in 1991, and her first visit to Chicago was for G-Con, a celebration of all things Godzilla, in 1998.

She's coming to her first Anime Central with a mix of illustrated presentations, haiku readings and as many panels as she can get into. She wants to sell you poetry and get you making your own. She wants to talk to you about why anime and manga history are constantly changing, why haiku are so much fun, why she's rooting for a transgendered Doctor Who Christmas Special , why everyone should learn cross stitch and exactly what she sees in the bloody excesses of Spartacus.

http://www.acen.org/.../helen-mccarthy
Ken Leiding

Guest Relations Section Chief (2011- )

Hotel/Convention Site Relations, Retired (2006-2010)

@kenleiding

「いっぺん死んで見る?」

#2 User is offline   feuerwerke 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 63062

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:34 PM

Okay Ken you are seriously pretty much making my year here. My excitement for ACen just quadrupled at least with this announcement. I've been dying to see Helen McCarthy in person for ages!
ACen 2014 cosplays
  • Junko Enoshima

#3 User is offline   Agatha 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 61511

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:41 PM

Ooo, the guest lineup just keeps getting more and more interesting! I'm so excited!

#4 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:02 PM

I would love to go to some of her panels and hear what she has to say. I bet she's quite an interesting and awesome lady.
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#5 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:41 PM

I have some of her older books I could get signed.

#6 User is offline   feuerwerke 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:08 PM

I would recommend that anyone interested in a sampling of what Helen McCarthy has to offer look up her appearances on various podcasts out there. She's been interviewed on quite a few. ANNcast appearances are probably some of her best. <3 It's just incredible how much obscure knowledge she has.
ACen 2014 cosplays
  • Junko Enoshima

#7 User is offline   feuerwerke 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:06 PM

hey Ken (or anyone else capable of answering this), is Helen going to have an autograph session? Important information since I have one of her books so I need to know if I should pack it or not <3
ACen 2014 cosplays
  • Junko Enoshima

#8 User is offline   El Ken 

• Guest Relations Section Chief
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 5629

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:06 PM

View Postfeuerwerke, on 11 April 2013 - 06:06 PM, said:

hey Ken (or anyone else capable of answering this), is Helen going to have an autograph session? Important information since I have one of her books so I need to know if I should pack it or not <3

Helen will not have a scheduled autograph session. Rather, she will have a table in the Exhibit Hall where she will be selling goods, chatting, and signing autographs. This way she has more time to spend with any given person.
Ken Leiding

Guest Relations Section Chief (2011- )

Hotel/Convention Site Relations, Retired (2006-2010)

@kenleiding

「いっぺん死んで見る?」

#9 User is offline   feuerwerke 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:04 PM

I like that setup! Thanks for the information.
ACen 2014 cosplays
  • Junko Enoshima

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users