• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

LEDs/EL Tape for an Eyepatch

#1 User is offline   Asteroidblues 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 63324

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:05 AM

So sclera contacts are ridiculously expensive and my Cable cosplay requires a color eye. A colored contact is doable but not ideal for a real noticeable trait. So I decided to make an eyepatch similar to the Solid Eye from Metal Gear Solid 4. It would be made from either EVA foam or wood but I'm having trouble with the light. What I'm going for is pretty much just the Solid Eye but with a flat, horizontal rectangle illuminated in the center. Preferably yellow.

Solid Eye

So I ask, does anyone have any tips or tricks they've used with LEDs or EL panels in their costumes? I've researched EL panels/tape/wire and LEDs best I could but I've never worked with them and I'm no electrician. Sometimes what I see seems simple and other times it looks way too complicated. Plus I don't know exactly what's required to power them and where to get it. So I'd appreciate anyone with any experience that could lend some advice or expertise. Also, does anyone know if EL panels are even bright enough to be seen at a lit convention? Thanks!

This post has been edited by Asteroidblues: 30 March 2013 - 03:05 AM

#2 User is offline   slinkysan 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 20384

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:13 PM

Hmm, I have some experience working stage lighting and prop lights but bear in mind that I'm not an expert. If you want to replicate that eyepatch, then a single LED would most likely be easiest and LEDs tend to be pretty bright. You'd need some copper insulated wire, the LED, battery, electrical tape, and solder. You can find these at electrical supply stores (Radio Shack might have it, depends on the store) and you can check hardware/home improvement stores too. The trickiest part will be voltage. You'll need to match the voltage output of the battery to the voltage needed for the LED of your choice. Not enough voltage and the LED doesn't light up or will be very dim. Too much voltage and you'll kill the LED. I'd recommend getting the parts and pieces and just experimenting with them. Here's a good website to check out for some intro to circuitry info (LEDs For Beginners

And don't be afraid to ask questions when you get your supplies. They might be able to better guide you on how to approach this project.
2013 Cosplays
Friday: Moonstuck Woona
Saturday: Princess Luna

2014 Cosplay
Friday: Rule 63 Big Mac
Saturday: Princess Luna

#3 User is offline   Rinzle 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 62857

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:56 AM

i would suggest a single LED diode you will need a resistor though depending on the wattage of the diode you get and the size of your battery to offset the power flow ( to much power will kill the diode and battery faster)

A tutorial i suggest is by a german cosplayer Kamui who does some amazing WoW cosplays and uses the diode method
kamuis diode circuit

If you have more questions then i suggest going to your local radioshack and if you explain to them what you are trying to do they should be able to help u out. Good Luck!

This post has been edited by Rinzle: 02 May 2013 - 10:40 PM

ACen 2014 cosplays
Entire Weekend I will either be in Neo queen serenity or Princess serenity
Past Cons
Otakon 2013-Anime Midwest 2013-ACen 2013-Anime Milwaukee 2013-ACen 2011- No Brand Con 2008-
Past cosplays
Neo Queen Serenity v.1-Usagi Tsukino School uniform-Yuna FFX-Princess Serenity-

#4 User is offline   Darko 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 18698

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:05 AM

Go find a Led of choice. find out what voltage is,.
then using that knowledge go figure out what rate of resistor you need so you can limit the amoutn of power going to the led(and so it wont blow the led)
there are calculators for such things online. id reccoment using a button cell battery to power it.
Acen2014 - Creator Viktor - League of Legends
ACen 2013- Artorias the abysswalker -Darksouls
Apocalypse year ACen 2012-DEADMAU5 RAINBOSS- CustomLED Helmet

Questions about props?Email me . Details on my profile

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users