Hows your AA work schedule?

#1 User is offline   railas 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 61183

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:49 PM

Hello fellow alley members~
How goes your work schedule? Are you like me, realizing that you've got just two months to go, and you've got a lot left to do?
I make things with clay, and also miniplushies, and I've got a list of 50 or so that I still have yet to complete, as well as trying to finish my costume, and figuring out how to make the booth itself more attractive. All the while, I'm working part time and going to college. Deadlines! But I'm so excited.

#2 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:22 PM

Yeah I'm freaking out a little bit here. It's getting harder and harder to find time to get everything done in so little time! Luckily I liked my table setup from last year so much that I'm only changing one thing this year. I think I need to order more business cards though, and make some new signs since I'm adding new items. Gotta gather all the stuff and make sure I have everything I need, but that happens the week before the con.

I have TONS of merch I need to make. I make amigurumi, and I'm struggling to keep my internet shop open and stocked and make things to sell at the con. I feel so far behind. Not to mention one of the yarn colors I use has vanished from stores, and I need to find a replacement asap! I've checked the internets for it, but it's way overpriced whenever I manage to find someone still selling it.

Then there is all the cosplay stuff, and I only really have one more prop to make. My husband is going to take over that project though since I'm strapped for time. I only need to order some red contacts and I think that's the last thing I have to do to complete my outfits. Oh well and put a little kit together, but that should be quick enough. It's just little things here and there to complete.

Can I have one more month before the con? Pleeeeease? I need more time!
Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#3 User is offline   Emoon18 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 20497

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:33 PM

Usually I'd be freaking out about it (especially in previous years), but this year, I'm surprisingly a bit lax. I honestly don't have a lot to work on, but I do work on my drawings everyday and try to get as much done as I had planned out. Sometimes I do tend to get distracted and stray off from schedule, but then I end up working twice as hard to get it done. I've become a bit faster and improved drawing digitally now anyway, so that's been a major plus.

I'm not sure as how my display will be like. I would like to have it set up like I did last year, but with more people sharing at my tables now, I might have a little less room, so I'll have to improvise somehow.

But I'm definitely excited! ^_^ Hopefully I'll have the time to check out the artist alley fully and meet all you amazing fellow artists, since I couldn't do so last year.

#4 User is offline   IcyPanther 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 60865

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:01 PM

I'm for once actually doing okay.
I've been playing around with my setup over the last few cons and just have a few things to tweak out.
In terms of product, I've been having issues with my printer which is making charms and my bags really hard to make.
And this year I have a "real" job so it's keeping me pretty busy, but trying to work on con things in the evenings. I just completely cleaned out my art area and reorganized everything, so at least it's no longer a "where's Waldo" when I'm looking for stuff!

I will (hopefully) be attending ACen 2015 as an Artist.
You can view my merchandise at my Etsy Shop.
Or visit my DA for more samples of my chibis and prints.
Feel free to message me with any suggestions or comments!

#5 User is offline   StudioDangerboy 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 62959

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:07 PM

On one hand, I'm relaxed. On the other, to paraphrase the original TMNT April O'Niel, "I'm going to have kittens."

On the relaxed side:

What started off as just a coloring book became something more.

a. The coloring book project exploded, and ended up being an entire activity kit. It's going to have:
- 8 Page Coloring / Storybook with canonical story
- Word Find & 'Create your own Friend' sheet
- 3 Way Maze Sheet
- "Replica" of the Map the character uses in the third book, "Island of Fool's Dread."
- An "Imaginary Friend" certificate for the user to fill out and give to a friend. They will then be that person's official imaginary friend.
- 4 Crayon Pack to Color with.

I just need to finish all the manual cuts, and then bag & tag like a fiend.

Picture of it below.

b. The images for the 4 Prints are done, but I'm waiting on Catprint to send the first one back so I can make sure they're the quality I want. May have to go local if they don't turn out how I want.

On the 'Kittens' side of things:

a. With one month left, the support role stuff is doing fine, but the real stuff is way behind. I"m doing this to support my kids book on iBooks / Scribd, and the 4th book, which should have been out this month, only has 2 pages colored. I want to start a web comic that focuses on the imaginary friends, but I only have the site barely up and running behind the scenes, and there's no comics done for it (planned / sketched, but nothing finalized). Seeing how the web-site is plastered all over the coloring book kit....yeah.

b. There's my...uh... 'booth mate' who is only half the person he could be, so I've been focusing all my time on finishing him. If he can survive the ride and assembly-at-con, he's going to be the 'attention' getter. He's a bit...big. :blink:

c. While I have my iPad and Square ready, right now I just need to make sure I have enough money to get change for cash purposes. Thankfully all my stuff is priced in 5s with tax included ($5, $10, etc), so that will help with change. There's also actual supplies...

But hey, we're all professionals, right? >__>:;;;

ja!

The kids book activity kit

Posted Image

#6 User is offline   Sapphy 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11260

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:33 PM

So far I've been doing most of my work on the weekends, but if I'm going to meet my goal for things to bring I'm going to have to put in at least an hour each day. Sundays I've actually been bringing a "travel workshop" to a local coffee shop (Graham's 318 in Geneva--LOVE that place!) that includes my cutting mat, Xacto knife/blades, a whole bunch of paper, etc. I've been park there for 5-6 hours and just go to town. Being out of the house (which is full of distractions) makes me super productive, but I'm also limited to making my non-shadowbox items there since I can't really carry around a ton of frames easily.

I'm at about 10 out of my goal of 50 shadowboxes completed (aound 25-30 designs with multiples of some). This is sort of scary since that's a LOT of work ahead of me! Yikes!

I'm about on the ball with my other stuff, though. I'm bringing blank-inside greeting cards as well as 4x4 and 5x7 unframed art. I'm almost done with the 5x7's, have quite a lot of 4x4s to finish (but they go quick), and I have 2-3 designs of cards to finish.

My display is going to be completely revamped from last year's wire cubes and I'm doing PVC/pegboard instead. I want to say that's about 75% done. I've been waiting for a warm, sunny day to spraypaint my pegboard, and it looks like this Sunday may be a good day to get it done.

...man, when I write it all down, it looks like a lot more left to do. I'm confident I won't have too much of a last-minute rush, though! :D
Liked what you saw at ACen? Happy Hatpire Designs has an Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/hatpire
Follow me on tumblr! http://hatpire.tumblr.com
Also, check out my DeviantArt: http://hatpire.deviantart.com

#7 User is offline   IcyPanther 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:58 PM

View PostSapphy, on 29 March 2013 - 01:33 PM, said:

So far I've been doing most of my work on the weekends, but if I'm going to meet my goal for things to bring I'm going to have to put in at least an hour each day. Sundays I've actually been bringing a "travel workshop" to a local coffee shop (Graham's 318 in Geneva--LOVE that place!) that includes my cutting mat, Xacto knife/blades, a whole bunch of paper, etc. I've been park there for 5-6 hours and just go to town. Being out of the house (which is full of distractions) makes me super productive, but I'm also limited to making my non-shadowbox items there since I can't really carry around a ton of frames easily.

I'm at about 10 out of my goal of 50 shadowboxes completed (aound 25-30 designs with multiples of some). This is sort of scary since that's a LOT of work ahead of me! Yikes!

I'm about on the ball with my other stuff, though. I'm bringing blank-inside greeting cards as well as 4x4 and 5x7 unframed art. I'm almost done with the 5x7's, have quite a lot of 4x4s to finish (but they go quick), and I have 2-3 designs of cards to finish.

My display is going to be completely revamped from last year's wire cubes and I'm doing PVC/pegboard instead. I want to say that's about 75% done. I've been waiting for a warm, sunny day to spraypaint my pegboard, and it looks like this Sunday may be a good day to get it done.

...man, when I write it all down, it looks like a lot more left to do. I'm confident I won't have too much of a last-minute rush, though! :D/>

Wait, wait, you live in Geneva!?!
I don't live there (I'm in Oswego) but I did some business out there last summer and I love Grahams! Their gelato is amazing! <3 I'm guessing you work upstairs? They have some nice space. I would retreat up there between appointments and get some work done. Very jealous right now.

#8 User is offline   Sapphy 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:10 PM

View PostIcyPanther, on 29 March 2013 - 01:58 PM, said:

Wait, wait, you live in Geneva!?!
I don't live there (I'm in Oswego) but I did some business out there last summer and I love Grahams! Their gelato is amazing! <3 I'm guessing you work upstairs? They have some nice space. I would retreat up there between appointments and get some work done. Very jealous right now.

Nah, I'm waaaay over in Downers Grove. Not the most "local" coffee shop, but the wife and I meet up with a friend there and it's well worth the drive. We usually claim the big downstairs table with the bench if it's free, since they reserve the upstairs rooms a lot on the weekdays. I also work a little better with background noise, and the guys that work there are fun to joke around with every once in a while.

I haven't had their gelato yet because I usually get their sipping chocolate (*swoons*). With the weather changing though, gelato WILL be happening.

...it's actually a good thing I don't live closer to it, really. I'd end up more or less living there. T___T;
Liked what you saw at ACen? Happy Hatpire Designs has an Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/hatpire

#9 User is offline   Manifested Dreams 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 19370

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:43 PM

I've actually got a convention next weekend and then I can start prep for ACen ^^;. I'm fortunate that this is my fulltime job, so while I panic every time I have gotten used to only having a month of prep time.

#10 User is offline   Gwydion 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 9082

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:36 PM

I was doing really well. I was ahead of schedule and thinking I would be finished way earlier than I had originally expected! ...and then I took like a month off. XD I got distracted working on other things (why is it that when I need to be making pins, the drawing bug bites and vice versa?), and now I'm pretty much where I would normally be.

In short, I'm not doing bad, but I could have been a lot better! I'm just glad I'm not in panic territory yet...
Cosplay 2013:
Friday: Tsubaki (Sket Dance)
Saturday: Prince Alexander (King's Quest VI)
Sunday: uh, TMNT geek, lol

See you in the Alley! ^_^
Tenkuu no Chibi

#11 User is offline   StudioDangerboy 

• Pip

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:30 AM

So I just got back the first prints from Catprint.com and they turned out amazing. The colors really do pop, I am so happy. Just sent the last 3 prints to them and they should be here by next week. I am so giddy right now I could puke.

Also bagged up a bunch of the coloring book kits...and got 3 paper cuts. >_>

Time to start working on Avery Labels and the new site.

#12 User is offline   railas 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:24 AM

Looks like everybody is keeping busy.

Annnd I think I've responded to everybody. I think.

Juju~ That has got to be hard, trying to keep up with an online shop as well as make a whole bunch for ACen. @ nuuu! isn't it frustrating when the store has a certain color of yarn (or in my case, fabric) that you depend on, and then they stop. Ugh, I'm with you on that, its awful! And then the only option is to pay way more than you would, making it hard to sell your own things since you have the up the price…

Emoon~ It does help to have a plan from the get go, from the end of ACen to the next year, even. (Though usually I just end up cramming everything in the last three months when I realize its getting close.)

Icy~ Its hard when you've got a job alongside it all sometimes. Haha, where's waldo, I like how you put that.

StudioDanger~ Wow, that did turn out to be a lot.
Hopefully those kittens never come, not that kittens aren't adorable in every way.
Booth mate? You make me curious, he must be huge.
I just got square myself for the first time, so this will be new for me.
Yay for prints -is reminded of a silly joke-
What did Snow White say when her photographs weren't ready? Someday my prints will come.

Saphhy~ Thats really neat , to have a traveling workshop. Its true that when you start to work at home its really easy to get distracted. You might start to work on something, but then end up doing something else and kicking yourself for it later.

Manifested~ Its your full time job? Thats so cool! What conventions do you visit?

Gwy~ Sounds like me. Not quiite panicking, but knowing full well how much is left and how much more could have been done.

#13 User is offline   StudioDangerboy 

• Pip

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:47 PM

Booth mate? You make me curious, he must be huge.

a. He's / It's quite big...he'll be the milkshake that brings all the peeps to the Alley. So long as there isn't anything taller than him, people in line for Guest Signing should just be able to see the top of him (I'm at #135). That was the main goal; regardless if it's for my table or someone else, I wanted to make sure people actually wandered into Artist Alley. Honest admission; it took me 12 years to actually, truly peruse AA and last year was the first year I ever bought anything from an AA person, but I almost missed it because there wasn't anything attracting me to it.

I wanted to design my booth to attract my type of people. :)

I just got square myself for the first time, so this will be new for me.

I actually sat down and messed with it a while ago, it's going to be awesome. You can essentially make your own SKUs for instant addition to the purchase order. My only gripe is that you have to slide the card fairly fast for it to register (but then, it might just me my CC). It's quick, painless and you can design your receipt too.

Yay for prints -is reminded of a silly joke-
What did Snow White say when her photographs weren't ready? Someday my prints will come.

I told that joke to my graphic designer / photographer fiance. She damn near fell over. You have my admiration. ^o^

#14 User is offline   railas 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:08 PM

Danger~ Dang, to see him from afar? My it must be huge! @ Twelve years? ohmai~ But its true, a lot of people run right past the alley to the vendors and don't so much as glance at the artists.

@ Attracting people to the booth is quite key. It will be interesting to see how a better display will change things, since mine have been rather lacking in the past.

Onto square, definitely looking forward to it. Hopefully the CC thing won't be too much of an issue.

Haha yuss~ Couldn't resist that joke.

#15 User is offline   StudioDangerboy 

• Pip

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:15 PM

@ Attracting people to the booth is quite key.

Interesting choice of words. XD

#16 User is offline   Sapphy 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:34 AM

Making progress! I took a six day weekend and I've been working hard. It feels good to be getting so much done, but I've still got a long ways to go!

#17 User is offline   The Chainmail Guy 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 61314

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:34 AM

I only got in off the wait list on Saturday, so I'm scrambling to make up for lost time, but I think I'll do fine. With the back stock I have, I figure if I make at least one small item each day, I'll be fine. So far I've been doing two per day, so as long as I keep up the pace until the con, things will be just peachy. It's nice that my main work is answering phones (or rather, waiting for them to ring to be answered), so I can bring stuff with me and work on it with the bunch of idle time I have.

#18 User is offline   Manifested Dreams 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 19370

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:01 PM

View Postrailas, on 06 April 2013 - 10:24 AM, said:

L

Manifested~ Its your full time job? Thats so cool! What conventions do you visit?

Yup! I've been doing conventions full time for 5-6 years now :) My lineup varies, but I usually do ACen, Tekkoshocon, Zenkaikon, Animenext, Anthrocon, Otakon, Kurokiiro Festival(tiny local thing), Anime Boston, Katsucon, Kotoricon. I've also done Magfest, NYAF(no longer exists, heh), Ohayocon, Anime Crossroads, Glasunoshicon, and I'm adding Anime Mid Atlantic and Animazement to the mix this year. I've got a couple I'd like to try out next year as well.

Now that Zenkaikon and Tekko are over, I am kicking it into gear for ACen. We launched our new buttons at Tekko this last weekend and plan to double our variety for ACen. I've also got a huuuge amigurumi piece in the works for the art show. Time to buckle down, get my spreadsheet made and start cranking out plush. Only 38 days to go(OHGODHALP)

#19 User is offline   Sapphy 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:47 PM

View PostManifested Dreams, on 09 April 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

Only 38 days to go(OHGODHALP)

I know, right? T____T;

I'm sitting a bit more comfortably now than I was last week, which makes me super happy. I'm getting all psyched for the convention. :D

#20 User is offline   StudioDangerboy 

• Pip

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:44 AM

The prints came! And they are awesome! These will be limited, numbered, signed, bagged, & tagged. CosPlay prints of The Boy and his 2 friends doing Doctor Who, Final Fantasy 7, and Transformers. :D

Posted Image

Off to go lock my self in a StarBucks to start penciling / inking more kids book pages...

#21 User is offline   IcyPanther 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:54 PM

View PostSapphy, on 09 April 2013 - 07:47 PM, said:

I know, right? T____T;

I'm sitting a bit more comfortably now than I was last week, which makes me super happy. I'm getting all psyched for the convention. :D/>

I'm tempted to make a paper chain like I did when I was a kid. Tear off a link each night.
But that would involve time to make, and all time must be used for art. How on earth is it almost midway through April already? Glad it's later than last year's!!!

#22 User is offline   StudioDangerboy 

• Pip

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:39 AM

So...are we panicking yet?

#23 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:22 PM

Full panic mode!

I have about as much stock as I brought last year right now, but we sold out of almost everything by mid Saturday, so I need twice as much stuff as I had last year. I have a lot to make still...

I still need to design a banner, and have it printed and shipped along with more business cards. No matter how many business cards I bring I always run out! I think I'll order 1500 this time.

I also have to add and re-do some signs and prices for my items, but I'm going to do that the week of since it wont take too long.

Also, my Chell cosplay still needs longfall boots! They are like 20% complete right now. I have my husband working on that since I need to focus on crocheting like crazy. The problem is he lacks motivation, and though he can manage his time well his lack of motivation is slowing down the process. I don't want them to become a last minute project.

Is everyone else going to be working up to the day before too? Anyone done and packed up yet?

Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

#24 User is offline   Sapphy 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:00 PM

View PostJujuFox, on 24 April 2013 - 12:22 PM, said:

Full panic mode!

I have about as much stock as I brought last year right now, but we sold out of almost everything by mid Saturday, so I need twice as much stuff as I had last year. I have a lot to make still...

Oh my gosh I'm in the same exact boat as you! I have the same amount of stock but I'm only around halfway through my "planned" amount. I'll still be satisfied if I get even to 75% but I'd really like to meet my goal.

I also want to finish up a sort of Rainbow Dash-inspired human costume before ACen since I already have the wig for it, but holy heck! When will I have time?! PANIC AT THE DISCO!

Is everyone else going to be working up to the day before too? Anyone done and packed up yet?

I will be working all day Thursday as a guarantee. There's always that One Last Thing, regardless of if I'm "done" or not. :)

#25 User is offline   Gwydion 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 9082

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:56 PM

View PostStudioDangerboy, on 24 April 2013 - 10:39 AM, said:

So...are we panicking yet?

I should be.

But I'm not. XD Too bad as I could really use that kick in the pants right now, lol.
Cosplay 2013:
Friday: Tsubaki (Sket Dance)
Saturday: Prince Alexander (King's Quest VI)
Sunday: uh, TMNT geek, lol

See you in the Alley! ^_^
Tenkuu no Chibi

#26 User is offline   StudioDangerboy 

• Pip

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:20 PM

Well, since I asked, I guess I can come clean too. Also, some inspiration to help us all keep moving that next foot forward.

Moich'endizing! (say it in a Spaceball's voice)
As far as ACen stuff goes, I just need to assemble the last 2/5ths of the coloring book kits and sell-able stuff is done. The prints are awesome and I'm actually not embarrassed by my artwork for once. My fiance came through with the table cloth, so all I really need is just a banner (maybe) and flyers / business cards and the last of supplies. Then, breathe easy.

PANIC MODE
The next full book is a lost cause right now, so I'm switching to a smaller book (which I've done before) to help get it up on iBooks / Scribd in time for the show. Need new material to show off. >_> The web-comic site is done, but I still need to get the actual content up on it. Right now my focus is to get the book done, and then web-comic it up until the show starts. I think I've drawn more in the last week than I have in the last 6 months. >_>;;;

KEEP CALM AND IMAGINE ON - INSPIRATION
For those that missed it, I have talked about having a 'booth mate' with me to help bring people to the Artist Alley. While I wanted it to be a surprise, my fiance rightly pointed out that I've had it on my Book's FB page, so why not just show it anyway.

Keybot, as he is known, is / was the first imagination story in my book - imagine if you made up your own Power Ranger 'Zord. He's proven really popular, and since 'going vertical' was important to attract people, the only course of action was to bring Keybot along. He's a whopping 6 foot something (I'm 6 foot even) and 4 feet wide, so he's half my table. Thankfully with the 3 feet of back space I can angle him so there's enough room to maneuver. Along side him will be 3 foam board cut outs of the main characters - the Boy, Amy the Cat and Auberon the Bear.

Since the book is all about dreams and imagination being brought to life, <sappy> I figured I'd post this here so all of us can keep on making those ideas / dream projects / inspirations real and ready to present at ACen. </sappy>

Posted Image
Posted Image

Here's to creativity!

**You can read / download the current books for free if you need a break.
iBooks for iPad here: https://itunes.apple...546966632?mt=11
Viewable PDF on Scribd.com here: http://www.scribd.com/StudioDangerboy

#27 User is offline   The Chainmail Guy 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 61314

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:04 AM

I've got a lot more than this done, but these are the most recent ones I've uploaded pictures of to my deviant art gallery. Still haven't worked out prices for the new items yet; I'll work that out closer to the con. And for the simple items, I'm making sure to make at least a few in back stock, since those seem to sell the best. See the full descriptions in my dA gallery.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#28 User is offline   StudioDangerboy 

• Pip

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:34 PM

...panicking? :unsure:

#29 User is offline   IcyPanther 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:49 PM

I am almost DONE!
I have never been this prepped before a con before (thank God I had most of my stuff done prior to the flooding!). Just have to sculpt out a few more Pokémon miniatures and I'll be set!
Well, product wise. I still have to figure how on earth the table is being set up. My least favorite part (outside of glazing!).

#30 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:34 PM

I have 256 amigurumi items made! I'm probably going to make a few more items, but I'm pretty happy with this amount. It was a lot of hard work getting that much done.

I got my banner and business cards yesterday! So happy those were delivered early. Thanks Vistaprint!

My cosplays are nearly complete too. My husband is finishing up the construction of the longfall boots tomorrow and we will paint them next week.

Who else is ready? It's so close I can't wait!

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users