Anime Central Forums: Why Is All Fighting Game Anime So Awful?! (Panel) - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Why Is All Fighting Game Anime So Awful?! (Panel) A Bad Anime Panel spinoff!

#1 User is offline   BadAnimeGroup 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 63078

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:39 PM

Greetings, once more! My name’s David. I’m representing the Bad Anime Panel and, for this post, its spinoff panel, “Why Is All Fighting Game Anime So Awful?!” One may refer to it Bad Anime Panel: Fighting Game Edition, or better yet, Super Bad Anime Panel Turbo.

The process for this panel is exactly the same as the Bad Anime Panel. We find an awful anime, edit it down to a short compilation, detail its history, poke fun at its (many) shortcomings, show our clips, and laugh along with the audience. This time, however, we’re specifically targeting anime developed from fighting game IPs. Sure, people love Street Fighter: The Movie and Fatal Fury: The Motion Picture, and for good reason. Sadly, because of these two shining examples of fighting game-based media, many anime fans seldom realize a sobering truth…

The majority of fighting game anime is awful.

Quick history lesson, no credits offered. The 90s saw two very important booms/bubbles: The dotcom boom and the fighting game anime boom. Both bubbles burst, leaving a trail of broken hearts, wasted money, and the general feeling that life isn’t worth living. The dotcom boom saw the entrance and exit of companies no one remembers, like Webvan and Kozmo. Likewise, the fighting anime boom saw equally forgettable entries like The Art of Fighting, Psychic Force, and Samurai Shodown.

Those are just a few examples of titles we’ll be showing this year. In addition to that, we’ll have a quiz for the audience, in which we furnish prizes to those that pay the most attention!

Note to parents and the impressionable, please be aware there will be course language, instances of violence, and sexual situations depicted in some of the anime we show. We will announce this at the beginning of the panel and do our best to preface any objectionable material before it is shown. This panel has not been made 18+, so no checks will be made at the door. We assume, by attending, any member of the audience is comfortable with objectionable content.

My fellow panelists and I hope you’ll consider attending our panel, and above all, we hope you enjoy it. If you have any questions or comments, please don’t hesitate to ask, and once ACen 2013 has passed, don’t forget to fill out a Panel Feedback form.

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and My Anime List (if you're so inclined).

#2 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 6912

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:09 AM

Just like everything else, maybe one out of every ten game-to-animation adaptations is decent. It's pretty rare to find a video game-based feature length film of any kind that isn't outright terrible. As for television and short series... every now and then there will be one that is watchable and reasonably similar to the source material. (For a few good and bad examples, read "The Anime of the Game" on TVTropes, and browse some sections of the "Live Action Adaptation" article on the same site.)

#3 User is offline   BadAnimeGroup 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 63078

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:28 AM

We don't disagree, as we're familiar with the trope.

As far as video game adaptations go, fighting game anime are notoriously bad and generally hold to a lower standard of quality. That is exactly why we're holding a panel centered around this specific theme (not to mention there's only so much time granted to any given panel). We have video game-based anime in our repertoire already (the ghastly Spectral Force immediately comes to mind), but we want to roll them out at a later date. Most of the media we'll be showing at this panel have many issues in common that are specific to the genre, and the conclusions we've made will hopefully generate some laughter because of how true they ring.

This is not to say all fighting game anime are bad, and that's not to say that there aren't video game anime worthy of ridicule. I would surmise, however, that on average the lowest of the fighting adaptations are a good deal worse than the lowest of adaptations at large.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and My Anime List (if you're so inclined).

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users