Anime Central Forums: The Bad Anime Panel - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

The Bad Anime Panel Metaphorical dregs of the medium.

#1 User is offline   BadAnimeGroup 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 63078

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:32 PM

Hello, all! My name is David, and if you’re viewing this thread, you’re hopefully interested in attending the fourth year of the Bad Anime Panel. Generally, the panel is headed by a couple guys; TJ, Jared, and myself.

Anime is a fantastic medium, providing a solid rejoinder to the predominantly American idea that “cartoons are only for children (unless they’re comedic).” Thankfully, it seems the American desire for anime can’t be sated, as we fans glorify it with conventions like ACen across the country. Anime has proven time and time again that a mere sequence of illustrations can exude powerful influences on a viewer; eliciting mirth, sadness, anger, surprise, and all the feelings in-between.

But sometimes those emotions are felt for reasons entirely unintended (anger and mirth, especially).

Panels devoted to the classics, masterworks like Evangelion and Gundam, delve deep into the intricacies and qualities of their respective shows. We, however, believe that there are many things to be gleaned from the bottom of the barrel. Knowing what makes a show awful is just as important as knowing what makes a show good. If you take pleasure in laughing and poking fun at terrible anime, consider attending!

For those unfamiliar with the panel, we try to find somewhat obscure examples of anime that miss the mark in one way or another, be it voice acting, plot, animation, shamelessness, or any combination thereof. We’re most easily described as a “clip show.” We compile each example anime into a “best of” compilation and briefly detail the show’s failings. At the end we quiz the audience and dole out fabulous prizes (actual fabulousness not guaranteed)!

Note to parents and the impressionable, please be aware there will be course language, instances of violence, and sexual situations depicted in some of the anime we show. We will announce this at the beginning of the panel and do our best to preface any objectionable material before it is shown. This panel has not been made 18+, so no checks will be made at the door. We assume, by attending, any member of the audience is comfortable with said questionable content.

We have plenty of new material this year, along with some favorites from previous years. We’ll have a list ready for anyone curious as ACen approaches. If you’re a fan of our group or just interested in more bad anime, consider checking out our other panel for ACen 2013, “Why Is All Fighting Game Anime So Awful?!”

If you have any comments or questions, feel free to ask, and once ACen 2013 has concluded, don’t forget to fill out a Panel Feedback form. We’re always looking to build a better, funnier experience.

This post has been edited by BadAnimeGroup: 27 March 2013 - 11:40 PM

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and My Anime List (if you're so inclined).

#2 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 6912

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:28 PM

The animated films released by Joseph Lai and IFD are legendary in their badness. It's not easy to call them anime (some actually are from South Korea, and at least one is from Indonesia). But whatever they are, they might not even be worth the small cost you'd pay if you found them in a bargain bin or a dollar store. A couple years back, RoosterFlix wrote about them. If you want to hear a fan talk about these films, listen to what WARP Anime Podcast said in 2006.

For some less easy targets, look for the Buried Garbage entries in Justin Sevakis' ANN column. Some of them have been mostly forgotten -- I recall passing by The Humanoid in at least one Blockbuster store, but not in the last few years -- and others are relatively well known. Mad Bull 34 was actually reissued recently!

#3 User is offline   Bard-kun 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 212

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:36 AM

I would like you to request a time change because I can't get to the con before 5 on Friday and I really, really want to see the hidden gems you've dug up. :( But seriously, I'm glad your panel's around, and it sounds like you really know your stuff.
Join the parade.

HENT4RMAGEDDON: You Can (Not) Unsee. Tentatively scheduled for 12:30-2:30 AM in the Donald E Stephens Convention Center, Panel Room Six. Join us for an evening of fun, games, and memories so twisted you'll wish you could live in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

#4 User is offline   BadAnimeGroup 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:28 PM

View Postdorkatlarge, on 29 March 2013 - 09:28 PM, said:

The animated films released by Joseph Lai and IFD are legendary in their badness. It's not easy to call them anime (some actually are from South Korea, and at least one is from Indonesia). But whatever they are, they might not even be worth the small cost you'd pay if you found them in a bargain bin or a dollar store. A couple years back, RoosterFlix wrote about them. If you want to hear a fan talk about these films, listen to what WARP Anime Podcast said in 2006.

For some less easy targets, look for the Buried Garbage entries in Justin Sevakis' ANN column. Some of them have been mostly forgotten -- I recall passing by The Humanoid in at least one Blockbuster store, but not in the last few years -- and others are relatively well known. Mad Bull 34 was actually reissued recently!

Good to find some kindred spirits here! I know my fellow panelist TJ is familiar with some of Joseph Lai's work, because I've seen a few Lai-produced titles one of our hard drives. From what I can tell scanning his IMDb page, all that I myself am familiar with is Micro-Commando Diatron 5. Our quote-unquote policy for the physical panels is to avoid the majority of the Korean-made stuff like Diatron 5 and Red Hawk: Weapon of Death. This is partially because of the simple fact that they're specifically Korean, but also because of the fact that we have a huge backlog of truly Japanese anime that we've yet to present (we're finally going to show Angel Cop, for example, after a year delay). We are, however, giving a Korean co-production away as a "Last Place Prize."

There are some really bad anime that we want to talk about, but they're spectacularly unfunny, so we don't include them in the panel. Since I'm the one primarily heading our internet productions, I can say I would absolutely love to do reviews of shows like those made by Lai. Our panel is a very comedic, non-sequitorious affair because of the live audience and the time constraints, and we want to show as much material as possible. When we start making video reviews, however, we won't have those constraints. I'd like to make in-depth reviews that dissect each anime and seriously detail its flaws. At the same time, we'd release videos with a style similar to the panel. For example, the first in-depth review I'm preparing is for Angel Cop, but since that requires a lot of planning and writing, the first Angel Cop videos we'll be putting up are a swearing montage and a stupid dialogue montage, among other things.

If I'm not mistaken, Buried Garbage was one of the primary influences on TJ's creation of the panel (the ACen version, that is). He's been known to reference it, but I've only just started reading it myself (looking for information related to Angel Cop, no less).

As for The Humanoid... Ugh. I have a mantra, "You can't properly hate something until you've paid money for it." The Humanoid is one of the many bad anime we've shown that I physically own. It's down on my personal "Most Hated" list along with tripe like Candidate for Goddess and Wild Cardz.

As awful as Mad Bull 34 is, it's one of the most enjoyable things we've watched, and we're definitely going to display/promote it during the panel. TJ not only bought a copy for himself, he also bought a copy for our other panelist, Jared, for his birthday.

Thank you for the wealth of information. I definitely have a lot of research ahead of me Posted Image

View PostBard-kun, on 02 April 2013 - 09:36 AM, said:

I would like you to request a time change because I can't get to the con before 5 on Friday and I really, really want to see the hidden gems you've dug up. Posted Image But seriously, I'm glad your panel's around, and it sounds like you really know your stuff.

Oh, man, that is definitely something we will look into. Thank you for letting us know, because it appears that we missed the scheduling email. If memory serves me correctly (like Chairman Kaga), the last few panels we've held in the past were on a Saturday, and we were counting on that trend continuing. TJ tells me that he requested a Saturday timeslot, and asked for a Friday timeslot for the Fighting Game panel. He is writing a request for a schedule change as I write this. Thanks again!

-David

This post has been edited by BadAnimeGroup: 03 April 2013 - 05:32 PM

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and My Anime List (if you're so inclined).

#5 User is offline   Bard-kun 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:11 PM

It's down on my personal "Most Hated" list along with tripe like Candidate for Goddess and Wild Cardz.

Oh, god, I forgot how much I wished I hadn't seen those.

Oh, man, that is definitely something we will look into. Thank you for letting us know, because it appears that we missed the scheduling email. If memory serves me correctly (like Chairman Kaga), the last few panels we've held in the past were on a Saturday, and we were counting on that trend continuing. TJ tells me that he requested a Saturday timeslot, and asked for a Friday timeslot for the Fighting Game panel. He is writing a request for a schedule change as I write this. Thanks again!

!!!!
!!!!!!

if the schedule change happens, you will make me the happiest guy who ever whined on a message board.

This post has been edited by Bard-kun: 03 April 2013 - 08:11 PM

Join the parade.

HENT4RMAGEDDON: You Can (Not) Unsee. Tentatively scheduled for 12:30-2:30 AM in the Donald E Stephens Convention Center, Panel Room Six. Join us for an evening of fun, games, and memories so twisted you'll wish you could live in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

#6 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:45 PM

I'm a big fan of Tekken The Motion Picture and Final Fantasy Legend of the Crystals. And by fan, I mean that I voluntarily watched both videos, found them to be appalling, and now recommend them for masochists.

There's been a few videos that I have watched over the years that weren't necessarily bad... but circumstances kept me from liking them. For instance, the Utena movie makes zero sense unless you have watched the entire TV series. And while Akagi is a fascinating, manly series, it doesn't really help the viewer understand how mahjong works.

View PostBadAnimeGroup, on 03 April 2013 - 05:28 PM, said:

For example, the first in-depth review I'm preparing is for Angel Cop, but since that requires a lot of planning and writing, the first Angel Cop videos we'll be putting up are a swearing montage and a stupid dialogue montage, among other things.

I haven't seen Angel Cop yet. But its badness is legendary.

#7 User is offline   BadAnimeGroup 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:12 PM

View Postdorkatlarge, on 04 April 2013 - 08:45 PM, said:

I'm a big fan of Tekken The Motion Picture and Final Fantasy Legend of the Crystals. And by fan, I mean that I voluntarily watched both videos, found them to be appalling, and now recommend them for masochists.

I haven't seen Angel Cop yet. But its badness is legendary.

Tekken is pretty terrible, even appalling, but we've found it's one of the most enjoyable to rewatch, compared to some of the other DVDs we've got (yes, we physically own most of our bad anime!). I've never seen Legend of the Crystals, and I've never heard anything good about it.

If you want a nice little sample of Angel Cop, we've finally uploaded our first video, the aforementioned swearing compilation (NSFW, obviously). It might spoil some of the shock value of some of the better lines (you'll see what I mean), but everyone seems to enjoy it so far.

#8 User is offline   Bard-kun 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:42 PM

Does something as baffling and weird and terribly dubbed as Strange Dawn qualify for your panel?
Join the parade.

#9 User is offline   BadAnimeGroup 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:03 PM

View PostBard-kun, on 18 April 2013 - 10:42 PM, said:

Does something as baffling and weird and terribly dubbed as Strange Dawn qualify for your panel?

I've never heard of it, but I'm adding it to the wishlist. It's really cheap, so I'll hopefully be ordering it, soon. What's so bad about the dub?

Considering that it was licensed by Urban Vision entertainment, which also licensed the stinker (with accompanying bad dub) BioHunter, I'm excited by the prospect of hearing it.

#10 User is offline   Bard-kun 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:24 PM

I got the DVDs free as a gag gift at the end of a panel in 06 or so, wish I still had 'em...If memory serves, both the main characters have English accents, and that's mixed with a classically "let's rush this out the door" wooden dub. Beyond that, it takes its wacky premise--two girls taken to a super cute chibi world!--painfully seriously. Like, "protag gets a painful arrow through the leg by overzealous hunters in the first episode" seriously.
Join the parade.

#11 User is offline   BadAnimeGroup 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:39 PM

Well, I'm sold! I have a feeling I'll be buying it within the next week or so.

#12 User is offline   masterblaster 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 18442

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:49 AM

This panel is always a blast.

Two issues, though:
-this panel has gotten extremely popular and needs more space
-don't let "that guy" in the audience take over your panel, either. he's not half as funny as he thinks he is and no one cares what he has to say, yet he controls the floor, shouts over you when you're trying to talk, and over the course of an hour will slowly turn the bad anime panel into his own running, nonstop commentary on everything that's on the screen.

#13 User is offline   dorkatlarge 

• Veteran
  • PipPip

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:38 AM

With a week and a half left before the con... here's a new Mike Toole column called Why Did This Come Out? A bunch of inexplicable Region 1 licenses, mostly forgettable and deservedly forgotten OAVs. The one show in the list that I watched was Sailor Victory, which is sixty minutes of "meh." It's a distant spinoff of the Sotsugyou franchise. (The second game in the series was released in English under the title Graduation. It went out of print years ago, but you can still purchase copies of it from Rightstuf for $2. Be prepared to set your computer's compatibility for Windows 95.)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users