• This topic is locked

Homework?

#1 User is offline   cactusmomma 

• Costume Events Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 3528

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:42 PM

Help me along with a point in a discussion. For those of you in school still, how much homework do you get a night? How long does it take you to finish? What grade/classes are you in?

#2 User is offline   Sayuri-chan 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 3228

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:57 PM

Which school are we talking about? At the college level, it's less about night-to-night homework and more about projects and papers. It also depends on the level of the course. I do remember back in the day though (it's been awhile) that we had nightly reading homework for English class at least, and then a quiz in class the next day over our reading assignment. As far as math went, it was nightly or every-other-night for homework, and then sometimes there was Government homework, or Econ homework as well. :/

Time to get homework done: 1-3 hours depending on the subjects.
Grades: A's & B's

This post has been edited by Sayuri-chan: 27 March 2013 - 02:59 PM

♥ ACen REG STAFF: 2005-2008 ♥
♥ Persona owns my soul. Proud to be a member of the UYFA! Proud Supporter of the I.R.T.!
"The Chumps" are back to entertain and amuse. Come join us Friday, in Panel Room 4 from 12:30-2:45pm, and Saturday/Sunday in Panel Room 12, from 12:45-3:15a.
Cosplay for 2014 ACen:|Skull Kid--LOZ: Majora's Mask/0% complete|||Genkai-Yuu Yuu Hakusho/100% complete|||Sir Integra Fairbrook Wingates Hellsing-Hellsing Ultimate Abridged Ver./75% complete
Current quote: "Costumes, I need to do that still...Costumes, I need to do that still...Costumes, I need to do that still..."
Current blurb: はい、少し日本語を話します。たのしすぎる! ♪♫♪♫音楽が大好き!♪♫♪♫

#3 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:11 PM

Ah, the joys of school. XD

I don't really get homework per night, it's more like "study for these three exams, maybe an individual or group project," and that's your grade. I'm a Junior 2 (third year) in a four year Bachelor's of Science in Nursing program. I'm currently in Adult Medical/Surgical Nursing (plus clinical), Mental Health Nursing (plus clinical), Nursing Research, Nursing Ethics, Orchestra and private viola lessons.

For my clincials, the only homework I get is care plans where I have to write a report on my patient--full head to toe assessment (basically a physical), write about the pathophysiology of all their disease processes, all about the meds they are taking, and then write a three plans of care on three nursing interventions I implemented during clinical or would have (like if I was on a regular twelve hour nursing shift). Depending on the patient, they have in total been 23 pages (this was an easier patient) and I've had one that was 35. This is because they had like every disease in the book! :(/>/>. The full care plan report takes hours, among hours. They aren't fun. >_> but the hard work pays off. XD! When I was doing my psych minor that had more "homework" but psych was quite easy for me, so it would only be like an hour or so, or like one day did an entire final project powerpoint presentation with my roommate two hours before class. XD! We got an A, but it was a pain! (we had a huge exam that week and nursing exam > psych project). hahahaha Orchestra and viola is pretty easy, it's just viola lessons is a little challenging since my teacher is having me do this crazy hard repertoire >___> and it's so hard to find legit practicing time with every thing else in school going on O_O.

When it comes to studying for my classes, I do my best to review at least something for one of my classes everyday...but there's so much O_O. it's overwhelming many times. Like I just had an exam today (did pretty darn good ;D) and in two weeks, another one, and the next week another, and in two weeks after that my clincal competency. I lost track of how much I study. I do as much as I can. So it is homework, but it's not assigned. It's more...expected. XD. It's easy to tell if you did it though--those people pass and move on to the next semester. Though it's tons of work, and I don't get to "go out" much and do parties/the typical college thing/do fun stuff all the time, I really, really enjoy nursing school. I do sometimes get to have fun and for me being in clincal is just so, so rewarding. I'm really at my happiest when I'm working with my patients and doing things. And seriously, the best feeling ever is when you work with your patient and you end up making them smile from either your nursing interventions or just being there. It's really, such a awesome feeling. I absolutely knew that nursing was for me when I got the same feeling from working with my patients in clincal to the same feeling I get when I watch/read Ghost in the Shell! ;D Wow I went off on a tangent. I'm not too happy, am I? :D/>/>
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#4 User is offline   magishine 

• Tenkuu Yuusha
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 21997

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:19 PM

View PostGITS SAC Motoko, on 27 March 2013 - 03:11 PM, said:

Ah, the joys of school. XD

I don't really get homework per night, it's more like "study for these three exams, maybe an individual or group project," and that's your grade. I'm a Junior 2 (third year) in a four year Bachelor's of Science in Nursing program. I'm currently in Adult Medical/Surgical Nursing (plus clinical), Mental Health Nursing (plus clinical), Nursing Research, Nursing Ethics, Orchestra and private viola lessons.

For my clincials, the only homework I get is care plans where I have to write a report on my patient--full head to toe assessment (basically a physical), write about the pathophysiology of all their disease processes, all about the meds they are taking, and then write a three plans of care on three nursing interventions I implemented during clinical or would have (like if I was on a regular twelve hour nursing shift). Depending on the patient, they have in total been 23 pages (this was an easier patient) and I've had one that was 35. This is because they had like every disease in the book! :(/>/>/>. The full care plan report takes hours, among hours. They aren't fun. >_> but the hard work pays off. XD! When I was doing my psych minor that had more "homework" but psych was quite easy for me, so it would only be like an hour or so, or like one day did an entire final project powerpoint presentation with my roommate two hours before class. XD! We got an A, but it was a pain! (we had a huge exam that week and nursing exam > psych project). hahahaha Orchestra and viola is pretty easy, it's just viola lessons is a little challenging since my teacher is having me do this crazy hard repertoire >___> and it's so hard to find legit practicing time with every thing else in school going on O_O.

When it comes to studying for my classes, I do my best to review at least something for one of my classes everyday...but there's so much O_O. it's overwhelming many times. Like I just had an exam today (did pretty darn good ;D) and in two weeks, another one, and the next week another, and in two weeks after that my clincal competency. I lost track of how much I study. I do as much as I can. So it is homework, but it's not assigned. It's more...expected. XD. It's easy to tell if you did it though--those people pass and move on to the next semester. Though it's tons of work, and I don't get to "go out" much and do parties/the typical college thing/do fun stuff all the time, I really, really enjoy nursing school. I do sometimes get to have fun and for me being in clincal is just so, so rewarding. I'm really at my happiest when I'm working with my patients and doing things. And seriously, the best feeling ever is when you work with your patient and you end up making them smile from either your nursing interventions or just being there. It's really, such a awesome feeling. I absolutely knew that nursing was for me when I got the same feeling from working with my patients in clincal to the same feeling I get when I watch/read Ghost in the Shell! ;D Wow I went off on a tangent. I'm not too happy, am I? :D/>/>/>

Personal life? Ain't nobody got time for that!
uchu kitaaaaaa!!!!

Cosplays for ACen 2015 and progress made:

Not attending ACen in 2015. Sorry. Maybe 2016

#5 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:23 PM

View Postmagishine, on 27 March 2013 - 03:19 PM, said:

Personal life? Ain't nobody got time for that!

Literally, our anthem (well my roommates and I--our other suitemate is a biology pre-pharmacy major) its literally the "ain't nobody got time for dat" remix. AIN'T NOBODY GOT TIME FOR DAT hahahahaha. but there's time for foruming ;3. muhahaha
Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#6 User is offline   Fantasia 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 63205

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:34 PM

for me, it's not a matter of how much homework per DAY.
its how much homework per WEEK.
I have an AP Art course and I have one full, very complex art piece per week.
Plus, German. My German teacher who isnt even a teacher she is a student teacher gives us a hard time, rushing through every chapter as if we understand every single aspect in under 5 minutes. and she wonders why we are lazy.

anyway im done with my ramble.
ACen COSPLAYS 2014:

Imp Midna LoZ Twilight Princess
Crona
Mirai Kuriyama

#7 User is offline   cactusmomma 

• Costume Events Staff
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:25 PM

View PostSayuri-chan, on 27 March 2013 - 02:57 PM, said:

Which school are we talking about?

All of it.. I'm curious about the regional and grade/level differences. My daughter came home with over 40 pages of homework a couple weeks ago.. they're also learning things like.. geometry and simple algebra now. Mind you, this is third grade....

#8 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 1435

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:43 PM

View Postcactusmomma, on 10 April 2013 - 10:25 PM, said:

All of it.. I'm curious about the regional and grade/level differences. My daughter came home with over 40 pages of homework a couple weeks ago.. they're also learning things like.. geometry and simple algebra now. Mind you, this is third grade....

That does seem a bit excessive for 3rd grade, and I didn't get my first taste of algebra until I was in 5th grade.

Speaking from a teacher's POV, I would hesitate to dump that much homework on students, unless they had a month to complete it. 40 pages of problems in a month or even two weeks isn't excessive, but one week or (OMG!) one day is. I personally am not a fan of homework in history, because it requires a student to speed-read a bunch of information they're not going to retain; I teach at a college level, and I usually assign one big paper per semester. Doesn't sound like much, until the students realize that the paper's 50% of their grade. Screw up the paper and it's game over.

I've also found that student papers turn out better when they choose the topic they want to write on (subject to approval by me). While one person might find writing about the P-51 Mustang to be fascinating, others would find it a crashing bore--but might enjoy writing about, say, Harriet Tubman.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"Maybe I'm too nice"
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#9 User is offline   feuerwerke 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 63062

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:35 AM

Wow yeah that is way too much homework for a 3rd grader. I'm a college freshman, and mind you I'm taking a fairly light courseload this semester, but my homework basically looks like this:

German: 3 short projects this semester, a chapter's worth of workbook pages every 2 weeks or so, 1-2 assignments out of the book per week
Italian: about 5-10 workbook assignments per week
Linguistics 200 level special topic: I've had literally one homework assignment so far. We also have the option of doing projects for our letter grades instead of the exams (though we still have to take and pass those)
Finite math: 20 problems per week usually

Your 3rd grader seems to be doing more homework than me. That's ridiculous.
ACen 2014 cosplays
  • Junko Enoshima

#10 User is offline   JCWarriorCats 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 63334
  • Location:On the brink of Insanity and Where Has My Memory Gone? Lane

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:49 PM

Homework... oh boy... let me go through my schedule of the day. Im a tenth grader so high school sophomore.

Band: I only take my trombone home to practice when Im getting ready to audition for chair placements or Jazz Band
Science: I have about half an hour to an hours of book work or packets to do for Biology
Spanish: In Spanish Two and we have homework every night. Can again take anywhere from five minutes to an hour depending on the quantity and how well I learned the material for the day
Geometry: ...I rarely do my math homework XD When I do it takes about fifteen minutes.
History: I rarely have homework but just did a project for the class that took two hours.
Lunch: ...I would do that homework EVERYDAY
Multimedia 1: Usually no homework unless I have to do a storyboard or take some pictures to edit on my own time.
English Honors 10: I usually only have to read... but depending on what that is it can take an hour or so. And vocabulary book work which takes another hour =.='

Well thats my homework schedule!
~*Hope is but a simple flame... Always flickering, but always there.*~ JC

#11 User is offline   cactusmomma 

• Costume Events Staff
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:01 PM

https://sphotos-b.xx...695002217_n.jpg Proof.. done in 2 days. Aced em. So proud of her, but dear mercy, that was too much for a little kid.

#12 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 1435

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:02 PM

View Postcactusmomma, on 11 April 2013 - 02:01 PM, said:

https://sphotos-b.xx...695002217_n.jpg Proof.. done in 2 days. Aced em. So proud of her, but dear mercy, that was too much for a little kid.

:thumbup:

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"Now she's ready for graduate school"
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#13 User is offline   Rori 

• PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 4904

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:41 PM

View Postcactusmomma, on 10 April 2013 - 10:25 PM, said:

Good grief, I don't remember doing any algebra until 7th grade (~1999). I went through all of my schooling in Indiana.

View Postcactusmomma, on 11 April 2013 - 02:01 PM, said:

What a champ! :)
あなたが考えているほど世界はひどくないから。
Spam Poison

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users