• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Good White Wig/Color

#1 User is offline   Asteroidblues 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 63324

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:37 PM

So I'm going with a group cosplaying as characters in the Marvel universe and I want to go as Cable. I'm approaching it more "realistically" and am trying to find tac-gear that fits but my problem is his and hair and arm. I'd rather just dye it but my hair is black and white color is never pure enough. I've also thinned the last few years so that could be a problem, too. I don't unusually like wigs because so many are so obvious but I've seen some good ones too.

So my question is this: I've been looking at wig sites but can't really get a grasp on what I can do with what and how long it'll take. Does anyone here maybe have an idea of what from where would be the best place to shop. Or another way to color black hair to pure white? Any help is appreciated. Also, since I've never done this I have no idea what the SOP is on guys getting wigs and whether or not we can alter them to fir the character. Thanks!

P.S. Here's a reference of the style I'd love to pull off if possible.

Cable Hair

This post has been edited by Asteroidblues: 23 March 2013 - 12:06 AM

#2 User is offline   Fantasia 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 63205

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:17 AM

I am not very good wjth sources for wigs, but I do have tips on how to get the look.
You would probably have to buy a long-ish wig, and you will have to cut it yourself.
Next, you would have to gel and hairspray your wig and style it the way you want it.
Hope this helps~
ACen COSPLAYS 2015:

Giratina

#3 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 53583

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:20 AM

For the color I would use sharpies at the root - perhaps use black then grey to get a more natural shading.
No Soap = No Waifu Winner of the 2015 "Got Soap" slogan contest. ;)

"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

#4 User is offline   ranefea 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 6584

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:54 PM

First off, I'd suggest looking on eBay. There are a lot of reputable wig sellers there, and you can get a good wig cheap.

Second, you'll probably want a white or very light silver color. Like KungPowKirby said, if you don't like the color completely, you can use sharpies to color the roots and strands and get a more natural look. Try making a sharpie dye and spraying the roots, then letting it travel down the strands.

For the style, you'll probably need to buy a wig that is a little longer than you need (like Fantasia mentioned) and do some styling. Since his hair is slicked back, you're going to have an issue with the hairline. Check out this tutorial: http://browse.devian...orial-216211961 - You'll get a great looking hairline if you follow that.

Take a look at these:
Short silver wig
Short white wig

They might look totally different than what you need, but they'd be a good place to start before styling. =)

This post has been edited by ranefea: 23 March 2013 - 03:55 PM

My deviantART
My Cosplay Page

ACen 2014 Cosplay

Friday: Link - The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Saturday: Leafeon Gijinka - Pokemon
Sunday: Kotoha - Arata Kangatari

#5 User is offline   Tokoz 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 18712

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:41 PM

For websites, I highly recommend either Arda Wigs (http://arda-wigs.com/) or The Five Wits (http://thefivewits.net/cosplay-wigs/) . They both sell good quality, styleable wigs.

#6 User is offline   myrla 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 60134

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:22 AM

Came here to mention the Five Wits, they would probably also have some good ideas to help you. I only purchase wigs from them anymore. (They also come to ACen which is how I found out about them.)

This post has been edited by myrla: 24 March 2013 - 08:23 AM

ACen 2013: Panel denied. Not attending.

ACen 2012 Cosplay: Doctor Who: Tooth and Claw Rose (Friday) | Firefly: Inara (Saturday) | Lolita (Sunday)
Panelist: Final Fantasy MMORPG

ACen 2011 Cosplay:
Tooth and Claw Rose (Doctor Who) | Miwako (Paradise Kiss) | Luna Lovegood (Harry Potter)
Panelist: Final Fantasy MMORPG

#7 User is offline   Asteroidblues 

• Pip

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:49 AM

I appreciate all the help! I'm definitely looking into everything suggested. I'd like to ask further, if I may, since I've never done wigs and this is my first con, would these wigs work well enough to give a hairline look like in the picture with styling?

A newbie question, yes, but, I don't really know how they fit together and I'm a newbie. :)

This post has been edited by Asteroidblues: 24 March 2013 - 11:54 AM

#8 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 53583

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:56 PM

View PostAsteroidblues, on 24 March 2013 - 11:49 AM, said:

I appreciate all the help! I'm definitely looking into everything suggested. I'd like to ask further, if I may, since I've never done wigs and this is my first con, would these wigs work well enough to give a hairline look like in the picture with styling?

A newbie question, yes, but, I don't really know how they fit together and I'm a newbie. :)/>/>/>

The character has a widows peak- so it if you style it back it may not look exact, as most wigs have a straight hairline- I would use this tutorial if you really want the widows peak - Link or maybe this one Link

This post has been edited by KungPowKirby: 24 March 2013 - 01:03 PM

No Soap = No Waifu Winner of the 2015 "Got Soap" slogan contest. ;)

"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

#9 User is offline   Hikari189 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 3666

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:32 PM

What's your budget look like?

If you don't have a lot of money and/or free time to work on the wig, the tutorials KungPowKirby posted are probably your best bet. The hairline may look a little cartoony and if the wig shifts, it may stick off of your forehead funny. AS long as you check the wig before pictures and maybe use a little double sided bodytape to keep it in place it should be fine

For the most realistic hairline for Cable you'd ideally want to go with a lace front wig. I know Arda sells them for $30 for the shorter styles but I don't believe that they have any that fit that particular hairline. Other places will run you about the same to $500 and over, so definitely look around.

The other option would be adding a lace front yourself. It's extremely time intensive and a little pricey because you have to buy all the tools but it leaves customization of the hairline entirely up to you and can still potentially be cheaper than buying a lace front wig pre-made. I used to have a tutorial on attaching lace fronts to wigs but I can't seem to find it right now. A quick google search for "how to add a lace front to a wig" or "ventilating a lace front wig" should bring up enough results to give you an idea of what you'd be getting into with that project
Video Gaming Staff 2012ADH of Exhibit Hall 2010-11Exhibit Hall staff 2009

#10 User is offline   Asteroidblues 

• Pip

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

Hey thanks for the additional help! I haven't committed to a wig yet because making the hairline myself could push my time and I want the costume done well before the con. Money and time are my worst enemies being a working stiff and well-over-full-time commuting student. <_< I'm going to give the hair dye a test first to see how it looks and then probably go the wig route with the suggestions from you all. Thanks again!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users