Anime Central Forums: First time making a costume from scratch, a few questions. - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

First time making a costume from scratch, a few questions.

#1 User is offline   Bettachi 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 10276

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:55 AM

Hello everyone!

I wanted to say thanks in advance for any advice given. I've been a con-goer for about 8 years now, and most of my cosplays have either been commissioned, simple enough that excessive crafting wasn't required, or purchased through websites. This year I'll be cosplaying Laughing Coffin guild Leader PoH, from Sword Art Online. Now, as somebody with very little sewing or crafting experience, this may take some effort. I have a newer sewing machine and a pattern that is roughly in tune with what I want to make. My first question is: Are there any reputable videos out there that can assist a beginner like me in sewing from a pattern?

Secondly, the pants that these guys from Laughing Coffin wear seem to be a very light khaki color with a thin brown material wrapped several places on the leg. My question for this part: What type of material should I use to make the wrapping up and down the leg? A fabric sewn around it or would some kind of tape do?

Lastly, his weapon, a large knife similar to a butcher's chopper is something I'm completely lost on. Are there any suitable ways to craft this from scratch or would I have to modify an existing weapon model?

Again, any help is greatly appreciated. The first link below shows PoH's weapon slightly further down the page. The second link gives you a good view of the pants about 40% down the page.

http://swordartonlin...ia.com/wiki/PoH
http://www.crunchyro...rd__Art__Online
Leader and (so far) only member of the infamous Kiriyama Kult.
Cosplay List
Previous Cosplays: Uchiha Itachi, Gaara, HnJ Tsunade-Naruto, Umehito Nekozawa-Ouran High School Host Club
Kiriyama Kazuo-Battle Royale (Manga), Harima Kenji-School Rumble
Anime Central 2013- PoH, Sword Art Online
Top Floor Survivor of the ACen Embassy Fire of 2010.

#2 User is offline   Yandere Emi 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 61049

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:05 PM

If you want to make the straps and pants different pieces, I would recommend making them out of some sort of spandex/stretch material for ease in dressing yourself. :) Spandexworld.com has a lot of varieties of stretch material. You wouldn't need that much (I'm not sure how large your legs are or I'd give an estimate ;) ). I personally think that http://spandexworld....g/product/10906 would look really legit for this outfit.

As to the butcher's knife, you can easily make something like that out of foam board - just search for tutorials on "foam board sword" :)
My Cosplay Blog (with Cellomanlove)

ACen 2014: Shindou Ai (Kyoukai no Kanata/Beyond the Boundary - Idol ver.), Irisviel von Einzbern (Fate/zero - coat version), Jakuzure Nonon (Kill la Kill)

ACen 2013: Hibari (Double H) & Caster/Extra
ACen 2012 : Kaname Madoka & Irisviel von Einzbern

#3 User is offline   Bettachi 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:59 PM

View PostYandere Emi, on 22 March 2013 - 01:05 PM, said:

If you want to make the straps and pants different pieces, I would recommend making them out of some sort of spandex/stretch material for ease in dressing yourself. :)/> Spandexworld.com has a lot of varieties of stretch material. You wouldn't need that much (I'm not sure how large your legs are or I'd give an estimate ;)/> ). I personally think that http://spandexworld....g/product/10906 would look really legit for this outfit.

As to the butcher's knife, you can easily make something like that out of foam board - just search for tutorials on "foam board sword" :)/>

Thank you so much for your advice! I'll definitely take a look at the spandex, I'm an average sized male by the way. :P Foam board sounds interesting, I'll check that out as well. Thanks again!
Cosplay List
Previous Cosplays: Uchiha Itachi, Gaara, HnJ Tsunade-Naruto, Umehito Nekozawa-Ouran High School Host Club

#4 User is offline   Fantasia 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 63205

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:21 AM

Since you do not want the blade of the weapon to be real, id say use model magic for the blade. Model magic is light, durable, and quite fun to work with. Of course, once it's dry, you will have to paint it over with the color(s) you need.
If you want to make your blade sturdier, I suggest buying modge podge, which is like a glue only thicker, and paint two to three layers onto your blade.
ACen COSPLAYS 2014:

Imp Midna LoZ Twilight Princess
Crona
Mirai Kuriyama

#5 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 53583

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:41 AM

I'm going to second the foam board (Insulation board--- you can find it at lowes, home depot etc) for the blade- its quite large and I'm afraid anything else might be too weighty or break easily. You could use a paper clay type product or paper mache - but that would probably take more work because you'd have to sculpt it- and it might not look as clean.

Its a fairly straight foward design for the blade. You could cut another peice for the hilt- or for more stability, you could put a dowl in the middle and attach it to the blade by making a small hole at the base and gluing it in. I'd then put foam board around that to make it look correct. The details/designs around the hilt could be made with a paper clay type substance and attached or you could make them with a puff paint or glue.

This post has been edited by KungPowKirby: 23 March 2013 - 01:02 PM

I love my ACen family! Whether or not I return next year- please know I love you all! Until we meet again!

"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

#6 User is offline   Bettachi 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:10 AM

View PostYandere Emi, on 22 March 2013 - 01:05 PM, said:

If you want to make the straps and pants different pieces, I would recommend making them out of some sort of spandex/stretch material for ease in dressing yourself. :)/> Spandexworld.com has a lot of varieties of stretch material. You wouldn't need that much (I'm not sure how large your legs are or I'd give an estimate ;)/> ). I personally think that http://spandexworld....g/product/10906 would look really legit for this outfit.

As to the butcher's knife, you can easily make something like that out of foam board - just search for tutorials on "foam board sword" :)/>

Took a look at the spandex and I'm definitely going to try it. How would you recommend getting them on the pants? Sewing, glue?
Cosplay List

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users