• This topic is locked

Special Needs? Just a question.

#1 User is offline   PsychoSora 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 18675

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:37 AM

This last year my mother accompanied me to ACen, and she will be accompanying me at ACen this year. She is hypoglycemic, and can very easily pass out if the situation is right. Last year we had an almost scare of her passing out, but I managed to get her something to eat and drink before the worst happened. We didn't know autograph lines were lined up that early, and for that long...
They told me that if she accompanies me this year, we should go to the Special Needs booth and let them know about her hypoglycemia. Usually she is relatively fine, but should we visit the staff just to inform them and make sure everything is on the up and up? I am her emergency contact on her badge, and will probably not stray from her. So I'm not really sure what it would accomplish to speak with them, besides a "hey she's hypoglycemic. Just fyi" haha.

Just wanted to check. (As like I said, they said I should let them know if she goes this year)

Remember to Tag Yourself!
ACen 2013

ACen 2012 Photos
For ACen's previous to 2012 please send me a PM for the link.

#2 User is offline   Smokey 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 6522

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:23 AM

View PostPsychoSora, on 19 March 2013 - 12:37 AM, said:

This last year my mother accompanied me to ACen, and she will be accompanying me at ACen this year. She is hypoglycemic, and can very easily pass out if the situation is right. Last year we had an almost scare of her passing out, but I managed to get her something to eat and drink before the worst happened. We didn't know autograph lines were lined up that early, and for that long...
They told me that if she accompanies me this year, we should go to the Special Needs booth and let them know about her hypoglycemia. Usually she is relatively fine, but should we visit the staff just to inform them and make sure everything is on the up and up? I am her emergency contact on her badge, and will probably not stray from her. So I'm not really sure what it would accomplish to speak with them, besides a "hey she's hypoglycemic. Just fyi" haha.

Just wanted to check. (As like I said, they said I should let them know if she goes this year)

No problem at all. Just stop by either of our locations when you arrive. We'll evaluate her needs and make whatever special arrangements will be needed to accommodate them. And just in case you do happen to get separated, we'll also give her one of our MedicInfo Cards, which attaches her most vital medical info to her badge, having it ready and available to our EMRT staff should they be needed.

In the Stephens, we're right at the entrance to Registration, and in the Hyatt, we're on the first floor next to the big Customer Service desk.
The Special Needs & ADA Compliance Department is dedicated to making sure that nobody has to miss anything that ACen has to offer because of a physical challenge or medical condition.

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Compliments? Complaints?

Visit us at http://acen.org/cont...-ada-compliance or send an email to adacompliance-dh@acen.org

Number of ACens attended: 15, Number of years on staff: 6, 2010 Staff MVP Award

#3 User is offline   pyrrhicvictini 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 62808

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:20 AM

Should I do this too, since I'm type 1 diabetic? I have hypoglycemia unawareness, & have a continuous glucose monitor that beeps & whatnot if I go too low, but still have issues of passing out. I should be fine, but there are always what-ifs, & I might need to take in food to restricted, no-food areas.
Cosplays
  • White Mage
  • Chell
  • Leafeon Gijinka

Panelist for The Cultures Behind Avatar: The Last Airbender & Fundamental Legal Concepts in Gaming
If you'd enjoy some educational panels, be sure to check us out!

#4 User is offline   kitsune red 

• ADA Compliance
  • Pip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 36791

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:38 PM

I would be a really good idea if anyone who has any medical situtation could take a moment and stop by one of our offices. We do not want to intude on your fun, just help all of the attendees safely enjoy the convention and not any bad side effects. It is also possible that we could advise you on way to avoid pitfalls.

#5 User is offline   Smokey 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:19 PM

View Postpyrrhicvictini, on 19 March 2013 - 11:20 AM, said:

Should I do this too, since I'm type 1 diabetic? I have hypoglycemia unawareness, & have a continuous glucose monitor that beeps & whatnot if I go too low, but still have issues of passing out. I should be fine, but there are always what-ifs, & I might need to take in food to restricted, no-food areas.

Definitely stop by one of our locations when you arrive. We'll evaluate your needs and make whatever accommodations necessary to help make sure you don't miss any of the fun.
The Special Needs & ADA Compliance Department is dedicated to making sure that nobody has to miss anything that ACen has to offer because of a physical challenge or medical condition.

Visit us at http://acen.org/cont...-ada-compliance or send an email to adacompliance-dh@acen.org

#6 User is offline   myrla 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 60134

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:01 PM

Absolutely do it. I was on crutches last year because of my accident and they were 100% amazing on helping to make sure that I was able to sit if I needed to if it was a giant line. Special needs is very helpful and it really helped me out last year.
ACen 2013: Panel denied. Not attending.

ACen 2012 Cosplay: Doctor Who: Tooth and Claw Rose (Friday) | Firefly: Inara (Saturday) | Lolita (Sunday)
Panelist: Final Fantasy MMORPG

ACen 2011 Cosplay:
Tooth and Claw Rose (Doctor Who) | Miwako (Paradise Kiss) | Luna Lovegood (Harry Potter)
Panelist: Final Fantasy MMORPG

#7 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 53583

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:32 PM

I have to say special needs is a life-saver. I know I had to use them last year because I have a condition which doesn't let me stand/walk for long periods of time and has me take quite a bit of medication that I usually have to carry with me. They provided me with a line, elevator, and bag pass last year which allowed me to safely enjoy the con - and not have to be in so much pain by the end of it that I couldnt move or do anything.

Just a question- do we know if the elevator and line passes will be avaliable again this year? Are the elevators going to have IRT in them again as well?
No Soap = No Waifu Winner of the 2015 "Got Soap" slogan contest. ;)

"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

#8 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:32 PM

I have to say special needs is a life-saver. I know I had to use them last year because I have a condition which doesn't let me stand/walk for long periods of time and has me take quite a bit of medication that I usually have to carry with me. They provided me with a line, elevator, and bag pass last year which allowed me to safely enjoy the con - and not have to be in so much pain by the end of it that I couldnt move or do anything.

Just a question- do we know if the elevator and line passes will be avaliable again this year? Are the elevators going to have IRT in them again as well?

"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

#9 User is offline   Smokey 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:47 AM

View PostKungPowKirby, on 21 March 2013 - 06:32 PM, said:

I'f a disabled guest has trouble getting on an elevator in the Hyatt because of crowds, we can assist in getting them up to their floor by different means, but I don't understand what you're referring to as an elevator pass. Could you please tell me more about it?
IRT's involvement with the elevators appeared to be pretty successful last year, so I imagine that they'll be keeping a sharp eye on that area again. I'll ask their DH next time I see her to make certain, but I'm confident that if anyone needs a break, they'll get it.
As always, just stop by our desk when you arrive and we'll do what we can to make sure whatever it is that slows you down, doesn't.

#10 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:41 AM

View PostSmokey, on 22 March 2013 - 12:47 AM, said:

I'f a disabled guest has trouble getting on an elevator in the Hyatt because of crowds, we can assist in getting them up to their floor by different means, but I don't understand what you're referring to as an elevator pass. Could you please tell me more about it?
IRT's involvement with the elevators appeared to be pretty successful last year, so I imagine that they'll be keeping a sharp eye on that area again. I'll ask their DH next time I see her to make certain, but I'm confident that if anyone needs a break, they'll get it.
As always, just stop by our desk when you arrive and we'll do what we can to make sure whatever it is that slows you down, doesn't.

Now that I think about it I just showed my disabled pass and it allowed me to get on the elevator. That way I didn't have to stand 10+ minutes.
Also its not what really slows me down unforutnately. Its what pervents me from being able to do the con come Saturday afternoon. =(

This post has been edited by KungPowKirby: 22 March 2013 - 07:43 AM

#11 User is offline   Smokey 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:28 PM

I checked with the IRT DH today, and it's good news. They're going to be supervising the elevators again this year, so we all get to use them again.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#12 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:34 PM

View PostSmokey, on 23 March 2013 - 03:28 PM, said:

I checked with the IRT DH today, and it's good news. They're going to be supervising the elevators again this year, so we all get to use them again.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Yippie!

#13 User is offline   harana 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 56909

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:55 PM

I'm glad to know this is here. I've been to a handful of conventions but for some reason have never thought to go to Special Needs for help regarding line waits and such. I will say that I had a really nice experience at ACen 2011 where a staffer noticed my mobility issues and let me go in front.

Not sure if I should start a new thread; I just have a few questions since this will be my first time touching base with you guys:

1) Would I be able to get some sort of pass so that I won't have to wait in line? I took this for granted and regularly miss out on all of the larger events at cons since I can't wait in line. Lining up two hours before a panel just doesn't work for me, lol.
2) Would a friend of mine be able to get a similar pass? She normally waits in line with me/lets me lean on her/holds my stuff if I get tired and I'd hate for us to get separated.

Where exactly is Special Needs located?

#14 User is offline   KnitChick 

• ACen Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 9629

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:03 PM

View Postharana, on 17 April 2013 - 09:55 PM, said:

I'm glad to know this is here. I've been to a handful of conventions but for some reason have never thought to go to Special Needs for help regarding line waits and such. I will say that I had a really nice experience at ACen 2011 where a staffer noticed my mobility issues and let me go in front.

Not sure if I should start a new thread; I just have a few questions since this will be my first time touching base with you guys:

1) Would I be able to get some sort of pass so that I won't have to wait in line? I took this for granted and regularly miss out on all of the larger events at cons since I can't wait in line. Lining up two hours before a panel just doesn't work for me, lol.
2) Would a friend of mine be able to get a similar pass? She normally waits in line with me/lets me lean on her/holds my stuff if I get tired and I'd hate for us to get separated.

Where exactly is Special Needs located?

We have two locations - in the Hyatt we are in the Grand Boardroom - basically right next to the big Customer Service desk near Main Programming. In the Stevens we have a booth in the Registration area. Both places are pretty well signed. Stop in and see us and we'll see about getting you the pass that works for you. And in any priority access situation, you can have your friend stick with you, no pass needed for her. :)
Special Needs and Compliance DH for Acen! Come see us in the Hyatt Grand Boardroom!!
Acen 2014: 50s Sailor Mercury, Agent Simmons from S.H.I.E.L.D., Kim Possible, Ghostbuster, frazzled DH
Youmacon 2014: (tentative) Captain Marvelous, Agent Simmons?, Ace from Doctor Who?
Chicago TARDIS 2014: (tentative) Fourth Doctor, Ace

Member of Team GEEK for the Norridge/Harwood Heights Relay for Life! Please join us or donate!
Ninja on the Glomp Team! Member of the Crossplay Alliance! / My blog / My pictures! (Flickr)
Resident Ghostbusters, Doctor Who, Firefly, Quantum Leap, Transformers, Harry Potter, Highlander, Girl Genius, Super Sentai and Nerima Daikon Brothers obsessor!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users