• This topic is locked

Final Fantasy Name That Tune

#1 User is offline   Piccolo Sky 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 62791

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:40 PM

I'm doing my first panel this year. It's a game of "Name That Tune" with a Final Fantasy twist, where all the categories are Final Fantasy games. At the moment, I'm restricting the selection to anything from the original Final Fantasy up to Final Fantasy X (none of the "special" games in between, just the main series). It's my first panel so hope I don't get nervous and screw up and fumble the notes, because I'm playing the songs on my keyboard.

Question for those of you who are interested and might show up. Would you prefer separate categories for Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy II, and Final Fantasy III, or would you like all three combined into a Final Fantasy I-III category? There's kind of a tradeoff. On one hand, those three are probably the most obscure to American audiences, and if I had them all in one category, it would make for easy selections as I'd end up only picking the most familiar (like the "Chocobo Theme", the "Crystal Theme", and the "Main Theme"). On the other hand, the titles to a lot of the songs are so basic (like "Battle Theme", "Battle Theme 2", "Shop", "Airship", etc.) that it's really easy to guess.

#2 User is offline   Brandonb 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 63369

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:08 PM

While I haven't gotten around to playing earlier FFs (don't crucify me!), I have played FF7-12 (and some of 13 and 13-2), excluding XI, so I can't fully answer your question about I-III, but I'm assuming it'd be easier to just combine them.

Gonna have to really brush up on my FF songs, tho... heh
esp. the actual titles ^_^

#3 User is offline   Piccolo Sky 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:45 PM

I ended up deciding to make them separate categories. I ideally want to have enough songs where two full games can be played without replacement.

Heh, yes, please do, because the newest game I'm having is Final Fantasy X. I'm not including anything from X-2, XI, XII, XIII, or XIII-2. The reason is I really think they haven't had any good songs since Nobuo Uetmatsu stopped working on them. I'm trying to go fairly easy and have songs everyone knows.

#4 User is offline   Desterion 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 57337

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:42 PM

Uematsu actually did some music for 11 and 14 and both have some great soundtracks. The themes for 11 (recollection,distant worlds and the opening theme) and 14 (answers) are some amazing and emotional pieces. 14 overall has a great soundtrack. They're particularly brilliant in the ways they're applied and may change your mind on some of it. The FF concerts that Nobuo Uematsu does are named Distant Worlds.

Recollection
Distant Worlds
FF11 opening

This isn't the full version for the ff14 one, but the trailer they gave when they took the servers down while they rebooted the game.
End of an era- Answers
'13 cosplays- FF 1/Tactics- White Mage, Fate/Zero- Iskandar/Rider, Natsume Yuujuncho- Natsume, Little Busters [VN version]- Kengo Miyazawa

#5 User is offline   Piccolo Sky 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:55 AM

Well, another factor is that I only have the sheet music for so many. As far as FFXI is concerned, I have Memero De La Stono, and that's about it.

Maybe next year. This is my first panel. I plan on getting some feedback from it.

#6 User is offline   Desterion 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 57337

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:11 PM

Understandable. I run a regular anime name that tune at some cons(when i'm not participating in them) and it can be hard to cram so much in. If it's your first panel though I'd suggest over-preparing with more than you think you'l need. The first panel I did, I ran out of stuff very quickly and was thankfully covered well by some co-panelists. My friend runs the name that rpg tune panel and I know he's always had some issues with what people know varying. Being so focused though especially with a highly saturated series like FF, expect people to blow through your song lists particularly at a con like ACen. Don't underestimate people that can get songs on the first 2 notes... I know a few. Good luck with your panel though, I'l be there and likely most of my group since all but 1 of us are FF fans.
'13 cosplays- FF 1/Tactics- White Mage, Fate/Zero- Iskandar/Rider, Natsume Yuujuncho- Natsume, Little Busters [VN version]- Kengo Miyazawa

#7 User is offline   Piccolo Sky 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:50 PM

We'll see what happens. The game itself is "Best of Six", and I have five selections for ten different games, meaning, in theory, I could play the game eight times. I've only slated an hour, though. This is kind of a learning experience for me, but I've been in similar situations before and I find things I set up always run long. My biggest worry on having lots of time for multiple games is running out of prizes. :(

I still need to work up a format for the "final round", where I'm going to have the winners compete for the "grand prize". Name up to ten songs in a minute. But, ideally, for that I want to give the option to "pass", and I don't want to get flustered via playing them myself and screw up the notes, making it harder to answer.

One thing I could do is have the final round be pencil and paper. I play segments and then they write down the answers for each. That way, I can deal with multiple competitors for the grand prize (I have a tie-breaker set up already), without having to worry about sound-proofing issues that would arise from playing the songs repeatedly and having the other contestants overhear the songs before it's their turn.

#8 User is offline   Musashi219 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 8100

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:40 PM

Hey this is Chris from the Turn-Based Critics. You're actually the panel before our Final Fantasy panel so we just wanted to wish you the best of luck and feel free to encourage your audience to stick around for our panel. We'll also be doing a bit of Name That FF Tune with prizes and other greatness. I'll leave a link to our Facebook event. Once again good luck on your first panel!

https://www.facebook...63507183670976/

This post has been edited by Musashi219: 04 May 2013 - 01:40 PM

#9 User is offline   Piccolo Sky 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:14 PM

Thank you, everyone who attended my panel. Many of you left before I had a chance to pass out the feedback/evaluation forms. However, based on the few I got back, a few changes I hope to make next year.

- 90 minutes instead of one hour for more gameplay

- Better way of selecting contestants

- (Possibly) Another panelist to handle either the board or the keyboard to ease transitions. (The only problem is I really don't know anyone who could do this...)

- More CD prizes.

Unfortunately, the final category will remain a listening challenge. The reason I used that is because there's no guarantee I can play a full minute of these songs in a way that ensures the audience knows it sounds like the music from the game. However, if people would like me to avoid "new versions" of the music as opposed to the original songs, I can work on that.

Hopefully I'll be back next year with an improved panel.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users