COSPLAY HELP! I need ideas!

#1 User is offline   Saka12 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 63160

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:15 AM

So this year I will be cost playing the witch from Left 4 Dead The passing
So I will be the wedding dress which.... only thing is I can't find a cheap wedding dress anywhere!!!!
also I am A plus size girl (mostly just butt!) So I need something that can fit my rear end hah!!!
Can you guys help me find a cheap site for wedding dresses?!?! Pretty please!! D:

#2 User is offline   Rori 

• PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 4904

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:36 PM

In my experience, wedding dresses tend to be at least $100. There are a few places that might get you a better deal though.

Ebay is loaded with all sorts of wedding dresses and they tend to be pretty cheap (make sure the shipping isn't overly expensive though!!!). I can almost guarantee it will need to be altered in some way though (I don't think anyone can wear a dress "off the rack"). I've never personally ordered a dress off of Ebay, but I know people who have had both good experiences (order arrived quickly, item was as described) and terrible experiences (dress never came, fabric was nearly see through). Just be aware.

You might also want to look around and see if any thrift stores or pawn shops have any in stock. Again, its a mixed bag of prices, styles, and colors. The benefit of this is being able to see the dress.

The David's Bridal website also has wedding dresses you can order online, but even something plain like this costs $70 on sale.

And I don't know if you have the time or a sewing machine, but have you investigated fabric stores and available patterns? Since its prom season, they should have a pretty wide variety of "formal wear" patterns available. You would also have your choice of fabric (i.e. the more inexpensive ones).
あなたが考えているほど世界はひどくないから。
Spam Poison

#3 User is offline   GITS SAC Motoko 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 19048

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:22 PM

Try Goodwill. You absolutely NEVER know what can be there, and they are cheap cheap cheap! My boyfriend finds NICE suits/tuxedoes there all the time that he uses when he performs in orchestras...and you cannot even tell the difference that it was gently used. He even found a cashmere sweater there from a very expensive fancy designer. I would maybe see if you can give them a try to find something similar to the dress you need and add any alterations that you need?

The next option like what was said is Ebay. There are sometimes some awesome "hidden gems" I call them on Ebay. ^^

edit: typos I never see when I originally post. XD

This post has been edited by GITS SAC Motoko: 12 March 2013 - 01:22 PM

Motoko Kusanagi is mah womanz. ;3 HEEEEYYYY SEXY MOTOKO OP OP OP OPPAN MOTOKO STYLE
Cosplay for ACen 2013: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG, Lucy--Elfen Lied, episode 1 "outfit' ;3 and perhaps an additional. Maaaaaybe :3
Cosplay for ACen 2010, 2011, 2012: Major Motoko Kusanagi--Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG

#4 User is offline   MOMO2 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 49830

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:01 PM

I would also say goodwill or even a random thrift store.
The only thing to fear is yourself.

#5 User is offline   Saka12 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:30 PM

Thank you everyone I will check those places today and tomorrow hopefully I find something!!! I will let you all know if I do:))

#6 User is offline   Fantasia 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 63205

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:17 PM

Thrift stores are magical. Totes try that.
ACen COSPLAYS 2014:

Imp Midna LoZ Twilight Princess
Crona
Mirai Kuriyama

#7 User is offline   Agatha 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 61511

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:56 PM

If your local Goodwill doesn't have anything (it can be really hit-or-miss) Goodwill also runs an auction site similar to ebay at shopgoodwill.com. I know a saw a wedding dress on there the other day.

#8 User is offline   Rury 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 61407

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:38 PM

Definitely Goodwill. Found a really beautiful prom dress for a cosplay for only $10. Try even cosplay.com or other sites people might sell them on (watch out for scams, though!).

#9 User is offline   Saka12 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:35 AM

I FOUND ONE!!!! THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!

#10 User is offline   MOMO2 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 49830