• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 8918

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:17 PM

View PostP-Bear, on 02 March 2013 - 08:07 PM, said:

The part about the poo monster is 100% accurate

What about buddy Christ?
"Frank and explicit"-that is the right line to take when you wish to conceal your own mind and to confuse the minds of others.
Bachelors know more about women than married men; if they didn't, they'd be married too.
Santa on the crapper is officially dead.
Acens attended. 2001,2002,2007-2011.
STVO the 2013 Hellfire champ.

#32 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 7281

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:24 PM

View Postsentinel28a, on 02 March 2013 - 04:21 PM, said:

Please. When has religion "butted into" secular life recently?

Catholics don't want their hospitals to provide abortions. Fine, go to Planned Parenthood. Catholics don't want contraception to be provided on health care plans for people who work at Catholic institutions. Fine, go to the 7-Eleven and buy some condoms. Catholics don't believe in gay marriage. Fine, don't get married in a Catholic church. Problem solved. Seems an easy solution to me, but holy crapsnacks, a lot of people jump all over the Catholics for being Catholic.

Islam also preaches against abortion, contraception, and gay marriage. Few people take them to task for it; Richard Dawkins screams and harangues against Christianity and Judaism but is strangely quiet when it comes to Islam. There is a reason for that, of course--people aren't afraid that Catholics will come and behead them. (Not all Islam believes in this; enough do that Islam doesn't get criticized much.)

No Pope has ever said that Catholics should be allowed to use contraceptives. Many do--most American Catholics do, because we don't want the added expense of raising children to our already overstrained pocketbooks. No Pope has yet to resort to mass excommunication over the subject. We can agree on most other things, but many Catholics, including myself, think the Pope is wrong on this; quite a few of us think that gay marriage is fine as well. Hell, if things get too rough, switch to a different sect--we're all Christians; we all work for the same Boss. We just rather ridiculously argue over details on the subject.

So if Popes can't even get a large number of Catholics to agree with him because we don't believe in blindly following the dictates of a fallible man, I hardly think non-Catholics have anything to worry about. It's as preposterous as people not voting for Kennedy in 1960 because they thought he'd be taking orders from Rome and not Washington.

Ben Da Mad Irishman

The banning of gay marriage is done by "traditional christian" lawmakers just like the same "traditional christians" were agaisnt interracial marriage before hand. They are also still trying to make public schools SOLEY teach creationism and abstinence as well just to name some.
"It's better to be used then to be useless."
Member of the J-Rock Fan Alliance
cosplay list: Zaraki Kenpachi, Umehito Nekozawa,Sergent Helmeppo, and Time wrap Rossui
Staff at Ikasucon,World Steam, and Youmacon
Part of GUTG's Bear Calvary.
Furture cosplays: Impel Down Mr.3....40% complete

#33 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 1435

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:28 AM

View PostDark Stranger, on 02 March 2013 - 09:24 PM, said:

The banning of gay marriage is done by "traditional christian" lawmakers just like the same "traditional christians" were agaisnt interracial marriage before hand. They are also still trying to make public schools SOLEY teach creationism and abstinence as well just to name some.

I wonder how many "traditional Christians" you know, DS.

It's true that there are a lot of people--not just Christians--who are against gay marriage. The Christians who want only creationism taught at public schools are fringe at best, and mostly confined to the deep South. The Catholic Church, BTW, supports evolution--and has since Darwin first set it forth. They saw no contradiction between evolution and creationism...because there isn't any. If you can believe that God made everything, then why doesn't evolution work? Genesis holds that God made everything in six days, but what is a day to God? It might be 250 million years. Plenty of time for dinosaurs, trilobites, etc.

So God created everything and it evolved from there. Boom. Problem solved. That's the Church's official stance on the matter. Now maybe there's still some dumbasses out there who believe the Earth's only 250,000 years old, but I've never met a Christian who believed it. I have certainly never met a priest who did.

I would not personally allow creationism to be taught in public schools, because that is a matter of faith. It's the same reason why, when I teach about the formation of Christianity, I teach a secular history of Jesus. And I teach at a Catholic college, and have never had anything said about it. People's faith is their own business and none of mine.

While I'm all for teaching birth control in schools, abstinence should be taught as well. It's the only form of birth control that's 100% certain. Sex happens and teens should be prepared for it, but it's not a bad idea to inform them that keeping one's pants on also happens to work rather well.

My own opinion is that a lot of people have built Christians up to be this boogeyman that we're not. I think in some people's minds "Christians=Westboro Baptist Church." That's unfair. That's like saying all atheists are bad because Josef Stalin was one.

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"Hitler Liked Sugar Argument"
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

#34 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:08 AM

Westboro is a very special kind of crazy. The kind of crazy that even the KKK glare at and say "You guys are a bunch of lunatics."

My mom comes from a non-practicing Catholic family. She is still spiritual in her own right, but there is no love lost between her and Catholicism. (One reason being the child sex abuse scandal, but moreso because of the dictations of the Church.) She even flat-out refused to let my dad (who comes from a non-practicing Protestant family) convert before they married, as she didn't want him to go through all the fire hoops and spike traps involved. (Figuratively speaking, of course.)

Now, that being said, there have been times when I've had to correct her on some stances. I'm the only agnostic in the family, you see, as my parents decided to raise me and my sister with only the barest, tiniest bit of religious teaching involved: namely, who Jesus was and why his story is so important. This was with the intention that we would choose whether we wanted to be religious at some point in the future. One day, after my sister and I registered to vote, we decided to get an idea of where our parents stood on certain matters; one of those being gay marriage. Mom stated that marriage is for procreation. I looked her right in the eye, and said, "Well, Mom, if it turns out James and I don't want kids or can't have them, does that mean our marriage should be annulled?" Yeah....she didn't really know how to respond to that.

Here's my take on the whole pope shebang. Will I respect who they choose? Absolutely. Even if I don't like the guy or what he believes on certain matters, until he gives me a reason not to I will show respect. Why? Because I had the Golden Rule drilled into my head as a child, and while some overzealous folk tend to forget it or use it conditionally, I believe in treating others the way I want to be treated. No matter who they are or who they love or the choices they have or want to make. Period. I highly doubt that they will elect a more liberal pope, as Catholicism is one of those religions that just doesn't want to adapt with the times (to a certain extent), but hey, it'd be nice.

This post has been edited by Valkyrie: 03 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#35 User is offline   P-Bear 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 59555

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:17 PM

How 'bout 'im??
"Thursday Night Meet 'n Greet" OG (the insane one, not that pancake one)

#36 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:19 PM

Another gay bashing, women having same jobs hating, 'conservative' Catholic. Catholics seem to like him but he's not going to bring more people into Catholicism like they think he will.
cosplay list: Zaraki Kenpachi, Umehito Nekozawa,Sergent Helmeppo, and Time wrap Rossui

#37 User is offline   Fantasia 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 63205

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:10 AM

I ain't even Catholic, but the new pope doesn't seem so bad. Of course, that's now. My opinion might change as time goes by. I still don't like the favt that after all this time there are people willing to sacrifice anything for gay marriage to not exist. Honestly, I feel that they are wasting their time when they could be tending to their families or doing something with their lives. Catholisism needs to adapt to the changing world, otherwise their little "empire" will slowly fall.
ACen COSPLAYS 2015:

Giratina

#38 User is offline   Dark Stranger 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:32 PM

I do always get a chuckle when the media talks about how catholism is "rising" in certain parts of the world. If you actually look at those places a majority of them are underdevolped parts of the world. Not exactly something to be proud of.

#39 User is offline   sentinel28a 

• Mad Irishman
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 1435

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:14 PM

View PostDark Stranger, on 29 March 2013 - 10:32 PM, said:

I do always get a chuckle when the media talks about how catholism is "rising" in certain parts of the world. If you actually look at those places a majority of them are underdevolped parts of the world. Not exactly something to be proud of.

Maybe Catholics are trying to help the underdeveloped parts of the world, DS.

I'm wondering why you got so worked up about all of this. You're not Catholic, so what's the deal?

Ben Da Mad Irishman
"Are you worried about the Spanish Inquisition?"
See my art. Love it. Hug it. http://sentinel28a.d...art.com/gallery
Read my fanfiction. NOW. You'll thank me later.
First Place, Yahoo ACen League, 2006
First Place, NFL.com Otaku Amefuto League, 2012

Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.
BEAR CAV!

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users