ACen Japanese Mahjong 2013 General event thread

#1 User is offline   Kyuu 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 348

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:08 PM

Greetings.

Chicago Anime Mahjong Players is interested in hosting a mahjong play session for Anime Central. We have hosted a mahjong event for 2012, and it was successful. For the full scheduled 6 hours, the event attendance filled 7 tables of mahjong (4 players per table), including tournament players. During the peak hours, some people had to be turned away due to lack of space.

Last year's time slot:

Update: Mahjong workshop, freeplay, and tourney Saturday night at 6pm-2am.

So, for the ACen 2013, we request for the same 6 hour block for Saturday night, just like for 2012. The attendees enjoyed mahjong. This proved to be ideal because {a} it was plenty of time and {b} it provides an activity for those not into Soap Bubble. Looking forward to give this event another go.

This post has been edited by Kyuu: 25 February 2013 - 04:23 PM

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. -- Ferris Bueller

Anime Currently Watching

#2 User is offline   pyrrhicvictini 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 62808

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

I learned how to play mahjong in China & would love to get the chance to play again. Are there many differences between Japanese & Chinese mahjong?

This post has been edited by pyrrhicvictini: 26 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

Cosplays
  • White Mage
  • Chell
  • Leafeon Gijinka

Panelist for The Cultures Behind Avatar: The Last Airbender & Fundamental Legal Concepts in Gaming
If you'd enjoy some educational panels, be sure to check us out!

#3 User is offline   Kyuu 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:50 AM

Most of this is my writing:

http://saki.wikia.co.../Riichi_mahjong

And I've done a teeny bit in the regular Wikipedia. But here are some highlights on the major differences:

1. Arranged discards. Tiles discarded are arranged in front of players. This is all due to keep track of tile discards per player, to enforce the "furiten rule".
2. 1-yaku minimum. All hands must have a pattern in order to be scored.
3. Points system. This is the greatest differential. Like in any game of mahjong, every hand has its "fan" counted based on the patterns. For Japanese style, there's an addition set of points associated with the amount of "fan".
4. Riichi. With an almost complete hand and if a player does not call/claim discards, then the player has the option to declare "riichi", and immediately have a "pattern" to the hand as well as add 1-"fan".

On top of that, there are some more detailed rules; but those can be found out as y'play.

Mind you. I've yet to play a different style, other than Filipino. Though, I've looked up a little bit on Hong Kong rules. Out of all the Chinese styles, this one is the most similar.

Now, if you want to give Japanese style a whirl, you can play here:

Against an AI:
http://www.gamedesig.../mahjong_e.html

Against people online:
http://tenhou.net/0/?L7447
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. -- Ferris Bueller

Anime Currently Watching

#4 User is offline   Shinki~ 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 59619

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:20 PM

I am very excited for this!!!

I have a very old mahjong set I can bring if that interests anybody (it's a nashi set with no akadora, so not good for ari tournament but fine for casual play). Will probably be in crossplay at the event as Kaname Madoka. If anybody is getting together to play on another day, post it here also, since I'm probably able to meet up to play!~

Also, as an aside, how long do you think the tournament itself will last? I wish I could spend all night playing mahjong, but I have other plans for the later parts of the evening (say, ~10 P.M.) and was wondering whether I would be prevented from entering the tournament due to time constraints.

#5 User is offline   MajaanPro01 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 59061

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:32 PM

If Tabletop Gaming doesn't want us, we should see if we can get permission to randomly set up in the Hyatt common area behind the Escalators.

#6 User is offline   MikoChika 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 63269

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:16 AM

:o I'm a total newb at mahjong. So perhaps this is the perfect time to pick up on how to play :3
Planned Cosplay: Moogle (FF series), Random Alchemist (FMA), White Mage (FF series)

#7 User is offline   Kyuu 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:30 PM

View PostMikoChika, on 11 March 2013 - 12:16 AM, said:

:o/> I'm a total newb at mahjong. So perhaps this is the perfect time to pick up on how to play :3

If you have access to Apps (by which most people do by now), y'can run a search for "Japanese mahjong" there.

Anime Currently Watching

#8 User is offline   MsLovelyCookie 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 57517

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:58 PM

I tried the link to the Japanese Mahjong but I have no idea what I am doing. :P I'm use to the Yahoo version of Mahjongg (Yahoo's spelling) or Mahjong Solitaire. It does remind me the the dominoes game my parents use to play.
I'm Just A Girl In The World
Take A Good Look At Me
Just Your Typical Prototype...

Registration Staff: 2012-2014

#9 User is offline   Shinki~ 

• Pip

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:34 AM

(Head) Bumping this so we can find out whether this got officially scheduled or not... ;)

#10 User is offline   Kyuu 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:52 PM

View PostShinki~, on 28 April 2013 - 08:34 AM, said:

(Head) Bumping this so we can find out whether this got officially scheduled or not... ;)/>

Oh yea, it's scheduled. Saturday @ 6 PM, barring any changes.

Anime Currently Watching

#11 User is offline   Shinki~ 

• Pip

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:52 PM

Is anybody going to be playing on Friday? I might check that out too if I finish up elsewhere early

#12 User is offline   Kyuu 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:39 PM

View PostShinki~, on 15 May 2013 - 04:52 PM, said:

Is anybody going to be playing on Friday? I might check that out too if I finish up elsewhere early

For Friday. Well, I'm thinking of setting up a table (or two) behind the elevators in the Hyatt:
http://m.guidebook.c...6162/map/12364/

It is that big open space back there, with a whole bunch of tables and chairs. And I'll make a mention of that after the first panel. Expect around 7 or 8 PM. Gotta eat, y'know. :3

This post has been edited by Kyuu: 15 May 2013 - 09:40 PM

Anime Currently Watching

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users