Anime Central Forums: First time going to ACen, excited and nervous - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

First time going to ACen, excited and nervous

#1 User is offline   StephenA 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 61489

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:47 AM

I've only been to one other con before this, and while I've been hoping to attend ACen for years now that it's finally on the horizon for me it's a tad intimidating. Any tips for a newbie on how to handle a con with a turnout larger than his hometown?

Also I plan on cosplaying a Jedi or Sith, it all depends on which lightsaber I decide to have out really, and I was wonderng if there were any other Star Wars cosplayers out there.

#2 User is offline   wolfgirl2009 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 62725

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

last year was my first time to ACen and my first convention...and i did pretty well id say...the first time you see the line for badges i will admit...i almost ruined my pants.....i lived and learned and ordered my badge aheah of time...soooo thats my advise..avoid the line for badges at all costs ^_^ :lol:
Pip Pip Da Doodley Doo
Dear ACen 2015....HURRY UP!!!!

#3 User is offline   Maze 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 6570

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:37 PM

This will be my 10th year for ACen. I still remember when I first went.

A few tips:

Get your badge Mailed to you. That way you avoid the mercurial line ride that is registration. Some years, it moves quick, other years....well I won't name the horror that was lineageddon. That was the last year I picked up my badge. Fortunatally lineageddon was on friday and I got my badge thursday which went very smooth oddly enough

Bring Food, it's cheaper than eating at the hotels. I find the easiest thing that provided plenty of nutrition to be a can of Spagetti-O's and Meatballs + a Spoon. Can eat it quick, doesn't need heating, and you can be on your way to the next event in short order. But that's my quick food option. :P/>

Bring at the very least a few hundred dollars for the dealer room and/or emergencies. And food if you eat at the restaurants. Also, make a list of what you are after and shop around. Some booths have better deals than others. Especially on DVD's.

Depending on when you'll be arriving, I always recommend Thursday, scout out the events you want to go to to see where they are at. That way you won't get lost.

If you choose to go to an event that is likely popular, get there early and enjoy the line ride while you wait.

Be sure to plan your schedule to include the occasoinal 30 min to 1 hour cat nap during the day. You'll feel better for it. Especially on those nights where you are booked solid on events from 5pm to 2am. :P/>

Eat Breakfast every day. Even if it's the hotel buffet. (I room at the Hyatt and their breakfast buffet is pretty good.)

Be sure to understand where to get on and off the Hampster Tunnel Ride depending on what hotel you are at. The Hyatt is pretty easy, but I know one of the other hotels that has a single small elevator to access it, I forget the name of that hotel but it's across the street from the Hyatt.

A large bulk of the video rooms/panels/events happen at the Hyatt. If you are rooming at a different hotel, be sure to scope out the Hyatt for where events are. It can be confusing to some. At the same time, you can scope out the two places to eat there. The O'H American Grill (Open all day) and the Red Bar (Opens at 4pm). There is also a Ala Carte food offering at the Hyatt during the evenings. It's cheaper than the two Hyatt restaurants (At least 1/2 the price), but the food is not as good.

Hope that helps.

This post has been edited by Maze: 24 February 2013 - 02:39 PM

#4 User is offline   HaruHE 

• Calendar Angel
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 10773

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:41 PM

I know this has been stressed enough but "Eat, eat eat!!" You -will- get sick if you don't keep your energy intake up, and trust me if you're the type of person who loves to get around you will burn a ton of it very fast, carry a bottle of water with you if you need to as well, no not a carbonated drink or something, water, it's much better for you to keep you hydrated.
Once more returned to the forums. 2013 ideas:
Hieda No Akyu: Project Touhou
Shadow Yukiko Amagi: Persona 4
Kyouko Sakura (Magic form): Magi Madoka Magica

#5 User is offline   blackcat18 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 16853

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:54 PM

View PostMaze, on 24 February 2013 - 02:37 PM, said:

This will be my 10th year for ACen. I still remember when I first went.

A few tips:

Get your badge Mailed to you. That way you avoid the mercurial line ride that is registration. Some years, it moves quick, other years....well I won't name the horror that was lineageddon. That was the last year I picked up my badge. Fortunatally lineageddon was on friday and I got my badge thursday which went very smooth oddly enough

Bring Food, it's cheaper than eating at the hotels. I find the easiest thing that provided plenty of nutrition to be a can of Spagetti-O's and Meatballs + a Spoon. Can eat it quick, doesn't need heating, and you can be on your way to the next event in short order. But that's my quick food option. :P/>/>

Bring at the very least a few hundred dollars for the dealer room and/or emergencies. And food if you eat at the restaurants. Also, make a list of what you are after and shop around. Some booths have better deals than others. Especially on DVD's.

Depending on when you'll be arriving, I always recommend Thursday, scout out the events you want to go to to see where they are at. That way you won't get lost.

If you choose to go to an event that is likely popular, get there early and enjoy the line ride while you wait.

Be sure to plan your schedule to include the occasoinal 30 min to 1 hour cat nap during the day. You'll feel better for it. Especially on those nights where you are booked solid on events from 5pm to 2am. :P/>/>

Eat Breakfast every day. Even if it's the hotel buffet. (I room at the Hyatt and their breakfast buffet is pretty good.)

Be sure to understand where to get on and off the Hampster Tunnel Ride depending on what hotel you are at. The Hyatt is pretty easy, but I know one of the other hotels that has a single small elevator to access it, I forget the name of that hotel but it's across the street from the Hyatt.

A large bulk of the video rooms/panels/events happen at the Hyatt. If you are rooming at a different hotel, be sure to scope out the Hyatt for where events are. It can be confusing to some. At the same time, you can scope out the two places to eat there. The O'H American Grill (Open all day) and the Red Bar (Opens at 4pm). There is also a Ala Carte food offering at the Hyatt during the evenings. It's cheaper than the two Hyatt restaurants (At least 1/2 the price), but the food is not as good.

Hope that helps.

this is my 6th year going and i agree with all of that XD i'm still debating how much i can take out of the bank before they call my mom to authorize it (since she also has her name on my account lol)
ACen 2015

Female Otoya Ittoki- 100% done
Leafeon ginjinka- 100% done
Kaoru Hitachin - 50% done (need jacket and tie yet...)

#6 User is offline   General_Iowa 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 62852

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:44 PM

SOAP IS YOUR FRIEND!
Come to rebuildofevangelion.org and join our new and exciting community.

Follow me on Twitter at @NewEvaOrder for all your Eva needs

Come to the Rebuild of Evangelion panels across the country!

#7 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:31 AM

View PostGeneral_Iowa, on 24 February 2013 - 10:44 PM, said:

SOAP IS YOUR FRIEND!

Soap is law.

#8 User is offline   Kimikopop 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 62130

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:39 AM

Hey there !! (: DONT BE NERVOUS!!!!!! Everyone is very nice, when it comes to cons... (: you should be fine!
I hope to bumb into you, Just look for a Ciel or Annie From League of legends c:
2013 ACen Cosplays!
1: Kuroshitsuji: Ciel Phantomhive - Pit W/ wings
Total Progress - 92%

2: League of Legends: Annie
Total Progress - 25%

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users