Anime Central Forums: So...um, what's the word about the Guest list? - Anime Central Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

So...um, what's the word about the Guest list?

#61 User is offline   wolfgirl2009 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 62725

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:41 AM

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 22 April 2013 - 01:42 PM, said:

A small suggestion for next year. Take a look at the guest list suggestions and pull from that more? It might also help, maybe, talking with other GR heads at different conventions and seeing how they set things up? Like you said Hindsight is 20/20, but I'm glad to see that you're willing to express what's going on there and the trials of setting this up. Shame there's not like an internship thing set up with colleges for students that are studying Japanese to help more with the international guests.

yea i have kinda noticed that the guests we have i didnt see too much of in the suggestions thread...i thought the more a suggestion was like and all that then the more likely they would try to get that guest...yes i know just because we want them doesnt mean they want to come or that it will fit in with their schedule but..i just wondering how much our opinion really matters
Pip Pip Da Doodley Doo
Dear ACen 2015....HURRY UP!!!!

#62 User is offline   Wingypoo 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 62448

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:13 PM

View Postwolfgirl2009, on 23 April 2013 - 10:41 AM, said:

yea i have kinda noticed that the guests we have i didnt see too much of in the suggestions thread...i thought the more a suggestion was like and all that then the more likely they would try to get that guest...yes i know just because we want them doesnt mean they want to come or that it will fit in with their schedule but..i just wondering how much our opinion really matters

I think it just boils down to if the VA is available so they probably have to reach for other stuff off of what we suggested. For ex: If Vic's not available, finding another VA closely tied to the work vic does (or similar for that matter). :/ Peronsally i'm a little disappointed so far but it's not stopping me from going. We still have more announcements yet. I think what, 4-5 at this point? I'm amidst packing since i'm moving the week after ACen. Can't pack my anime away yet till i know who's coming D: That's my only irritation. I'm terribly impatient. I'm sure our opinion matters. Just hope we have good things in store :)
Hope is comforting. It allows us to accept fate, no matter how tragic it might be. ~ Yunalesca FFX

#63 User is offline   feuerwerke 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 63062

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:55 PM

Honestly how much they try to pull from the suggestion forum isn't necessarily reflected by how many of the guests we actually get were suggested. For all we know guest relations could've contacted every single person that got requested for 2013 and they all declined except the handful we did get. Looking through the suggestion forum I can see that Kalafina, Yuu Asakawa, and even Helen McCarthy were all requested.

It would be kinda cool if GR could tell us something re; if they tried to get suggested guests or not but I doubt if they can actually specify who they contacted that declined. Maybe some vague info, like saying "This year we invited X amount of guests and Y amount of them were taken from the suggestion forum" or something like that, but really that's asking for a lot.

Personally, all I really care about is seeing some bigger names than we have in the past. This year is a huge step forward in my opinion. Honestly it's practically a dream guest list for me. If a director or manga-ka that I really wanted to see was also on the list, it'd be more or less perfect. But this year we got variety, a huge music name, a very prolific seiyuu, etc. Yeah, it's a bit skimpy on American VAs so far but honestly, I'm glad to trade a huge list of mostly American VAs I can see at smaller cons for a short list with a handful of huge names and unique guests on it.

I've been a harsh critic of ACen's guest lists for years now (albeit not here, more on tumblr and LJ and such), but this year you have finally impressed me.
ACen 2014 cosplays
  • Junko Enoshima

#64 User is offline   Wingypoo 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:01 PM

View Postfeuerwerke, on 23 April 2013 - 02:55 PM, said:

Honestly how much they try to pull from the suggestion forum isn't necessarily reflected by how many of the guests we actually get were suggested. For all we know guest relations could've contacted every single person that got requested for 2013 and they all declined except the handful we did get. Looking through the suggestion forum I can see that Kalafina, Yuu Asakawa, and even Helen McCarthy were all requested.

It would be kinda cool if GR could tell us something re; if they tried to get suggested guests or not but I doubt if they can actually specify who they contacted that declined. Maybe some vague info, like saying "This year we invited X amount of guests and Y amount of them were taken from the suggestion forum" or something like that, but really that's asking for a lot.

Personally, all I really care about is seeing some bigger names than we have in the past. This year is a huge step forward in my opinion. Honestly it's practically a dream guest list for me. If a director or manga-ka that I really wanted to see was also on the list, it'd be more or less perfect. But this year we got variety, a huge music name, a very prolific seiyuu, etc. Yeah, it's a bit skimpy on American VAs so far but honestly, I'm glad to trade a huge list of mostly American VAs I can see at smaller cons for a short list with a handful of huge names and unique guests on it.

I've been a harsh critic of ACen's guest lists for years now (albeit not here, more on tumblr and LJ and such), but this year you have finally impressed me.

Yea that would be kinda nice if they could somehow let us know but i have to agree with you that would be much. I feel i should clarify myself here, sorry, wasn't paying attention when i was typing. I'm more disappointed with the English VA selection atm. The rest i'm actually pretty impressed with. Sorry for any confusion. I need to watch what i'm doing lol. My bad.
Hope is comforting. It allows us to accept fate, no matter how tragic it might be. ~ Yunalesca FFX

#65 User is offline   wolfgirl2009 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 62725

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:28 PM

View PostWingypoo, on 23 April 2013 - 12:13 PM, said:

I think it just boils down to if the VA is available so they probably have to reach for other stuff off of what we suggested. For ex: If Vic's not available, finding another VA closely tied to the work vic does (or similar for that matter). :/ Peronsally i'm a little disappointed so far but it's not stopping me from going. We still have more announcements yet. I think what, 4-5 at this point? I'm amidst packing since i'm moving the week after ACen. Can't pack my anime away yet till i know who's coming D: That's my only irritation. I'm terribly impatient. I'm sure our opinion matters. Just hope we have good things in store :)/>

oh yea i definatly get what you are saying..i understand that not every guest that we want will be able to come even if every single person suggested them..if they already have something going on well thats impossible...like vic we all want him but unfortunatly he already has a con on the same weekend as ACen...which sucks. blah
Pip Pip Da Doodley Doo
Dear ACen 2015....HURRY UP!!!!

#66 User is offline   feuerwerke 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:46 PM

@Wingypoo Nah, I get you there. It's just that I personally don't care much about American guests, so, to me, since GR has limited funds for both I'd rather see them put more into the international side. I feel like in years past it's been too heavily American talent re; who the guests are, and since guests like that go to a lot of small cons too, it's kind of a letdown for me. I hate to look at it as "American guests versus foreign guests", but that's kind of how it is since all guests cost money and the more money they spend on one type of guest, the less they have for the other.
ACen 2014 cosplays
  • Junko Enoshima

#67 User is offline   Wingypoo 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:57 PM

View Postfeuerwerke, on 23 April 2013 - 07:46 PM, said:

@Wingypoo Nah, I get you there. It's just that I personally don't care much about American guests, so, to me, since GR has limited funds for both I'd rather see them put more into the international side. I feel like in years past it's been too heavily American talent re; who the guests are, and since guests like that go to a lot of small cons too, it's kind of a letdown for me. I hate to look at it as "American guests versus foreign guests", but that's kind of how it is since all guests cost money and the more money they spend on one type of guest, the less they have for the other.

That makes sense :) I just have a couple english va's i wouldnt mind seeing but i dont know if smaller cons near me can get them. Other than that i definitely wouldnt mind seeing more international VA's/bands. Should be interesting to see who the finish everything off with.

#68 User is offline   feuerwerke 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:27 PM

Yeah, there are some cool American guests out there. My personal preference is international, though. I'd recommend suggesting the VAs you want to see to your local smaller cons, though. Most small cons can get most American VAs.
ACen 2014 cosplays
  • Junko Enoshima

#69 User is offline   Wingypoo 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:25 AM

View Postfeuerwerke, on 23 April 2013 - 08:27 PM, said:

Yeah, there are some cool American guests out there. My personal preference is international, though. I'd recommend suggesting the VAs you want to see to your local smaller cons, though. Most small cons can get most American VAs.

Oh i definitely have. Pushed it a bit more this year since our local con's attendance bumped quite a bit. As of next year we'll be on year number 4 of this con. They're dang fast on inviting guests though which is great. Our first year we had Vic, tiffany grant, and chris cason. Second year we had like 8 guests that ranged from more known VA's to the ones you didnt know as much. This year i think we had 11-12 guests. Presuming we're doing something right somewhere. Eh, i'll just see what happens i guess. I dont want to drive them crazy lol.

#70 User is offline   El Ken 

• Guest Relations Section Chief
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 5629

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:08 PM

Looking at the posts in guest suggestions, we reached out to a total of 17 (quick count - it could be more) of those suggestions. That includes guests we have announced, guests who could not attend for various reasons, and guests we are still trying to make happen. We had some bad luck on both sides of the Pacific as far as scheduling conflicts go, so most are unfortunately not on this year's guest list.
Ken Leiding

Guest Relations Section Chief (2011- )

Hotel/Convention Site Relations, Retired (2006-2010)

@kenleiding

「いっぺん死んで見る?」

#71 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:53 PM

Is there anyway to alter this? Like finding a way to get the word out earlier to various actors, directors, etc on both sides that ACen is excited about making contact and inviting them to the convention?
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#72 User is offline   El Ken 

• PipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:42 PM

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 24 April 2013 - 01:53 PM, said:

Is there anyway to alter this? Like finding a way to get the word out earlier to various actors, directors, etc on both sides that ACen is excited about making contact and inviting them to the convention?

No, this year was an odd year. I've never seen so many personal conflicts before. But yes, we will be reaching out much earlier for 2014 (after I take about a 1 month break after con).
Ken Leiding

@kenleiding

「いっぺん死んで見る?」

#73 User is offline   feuerwerke 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:13 PM

Wow, this was a bad year re; schedule conflicts and yet it's still the most impressive year to me so far? That gives me a lot of hope for years coming. ...And the fear that you guys will do something amazing the year I go to Germany.
ACen 2014 cosplays
  • Junko Enoshima

#74 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:39 PM

Ouch that sucks! Seems to be the year for personal things to get in the way. By the way, I'm curious about this. When a guest is invited and they decline, is there a chance for said guest to be invited the year after? Also, is there such a thing as a "Black List" for guests in regard to ACen? I know some cons have had trouble with various guests in the past and have reportedly blacklisted that person from attending, so does ACen have such a thing?
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

Pardon the Pause

#75 User is offline   El Ken 

• PipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:44 PM

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 24 April 2013 - 03:39 PM, said:

Ouch that sucks! Seems to be the year for personal things to get in the way. By the way, I'm curious about this. When a guest is invited and they decline, is there a chance for said guest to be invited the year after? Also, is there such a thing as a "Black List" for guests in regard to ACen? I know some cons have had trouble with various guests in the past and have reportedly blacklisted that person from attending, so does ACen have such a thing?

I'd say that everyone is a potential guest year to year regardless of if they attended ACen the year before, declined, or otherwise. Also, there is no guest blacklist at ACen. A guest's past actions may have bearing on whether they are invited in any given year, but that memory is primarily limited to the ones making the guest decisions, and those decision makers have a limited shelf life.
Ken Leiding

@kenleiding

「いっぺん死んで見る?」

#76 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:06 PM

Ah okay. I just heard that some conventions were having various lists of guests that had issues with the con in previous years and I was curious if ACen had anything similar to that.

Pardon the Pause

#77 User is offline   Wingypoo 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:35 PM

Not to be a bother, but, just was curious if there are more guests being added. Sorry to hear about the scheduling issues. That blows. :/ Thanks for keeping us informed.

#78 User is offline   feuerwerke 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:01 PM

Also, @Ken, thanks for giving those stats! I really didn't expect anything by it since I figured giving that info might be kind of a pain, but I really appreciate it.
ACen 2014 cosplays
  • Junko Enoshima

#79 User is offline   Sayuri-chan 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 3228

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:01 PM

View PostWingypoo, on 28 April 2013 - 05:35 PM, said:

Not to be a bother, but, just was curious if there are more guests being added. Sorry to hear about the scheduling issues. That blows. :/ Thanks for keeping us informed.

Also would like to know about this. :)
♥ ACen REG STAFF: 2005-2008 ♥
♥ Persona owns my soul. Proud to be a member of the UYFA! Proud Supporter of the I.R.T.!
"The Chumps" are back to entertain and amuse. Come join us Friday, in Panel Room 4 from 12:30-2:45pm, and Saturday/Sunday in Panel Room 12, from 12:45-3:15a.
Cosplay for 2014 ACen:|Skull Kid--LOZ: Majora's Mask/0% complete|||Genkai-Yuu Yuu Hakusho/100% complete|||Sir Integra Fairbrook Wingates Hellsing-Hellsing Ultimate Abridged Ver./75% complete
Current quote: "Costumes, I need to do that still...Costumes, I need to do that still...Costumes, I need to do that still..."
Current blurb: はい、少し日本語を話します。たのしすぎる! ♪♫♪♫音楽が大好き!♪♫♪♫

#80 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:41 AM

Wow only a few days left what's the word El Ken?

Pardon the Pause

#81 User is offline   El Ken 

• PipPipPip

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:21 PM

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 02 May 2013 - 10:41 AM, said:

Wow only a few days left what's the word El Ken?

Right. I'm honestly not sure what happened with 5 of the VAs we were reaching out to or were in negotiations with. Other than those, there is one more person I'm working with. At this point, I think we will only be looking at 1 more guest, tops. Sorry the guest list is a little light this year (quantity-wise)!
Ken Leiding

@kenleiding

「いっぺん死んで見る?」

#82 User is offline   Krystal 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 14958

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:01 PM

It means a lot to be honest at least. :) Now with a complete guest list, people can plan accordingly.
Acen 2011: I lost my red kodak camera. If you found it, PLEASE contact me. I really miss it.

#83 User is offline   El Ken 

• PipPipPip

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:39 PM

The final guest I was working with has fallen through as well. Other than an educational guest that I have yet to announce, this will complete the guest list for 2013. As I said before, sorry the list is a little short this year, but I'm happy with the selection overall. I'll be a lot closer to my ideal numbers next year (1/3 Japanese guests, 1/3 American guests, 1/3 Japanese culture-related guests).
Ken Leiding

@kenleiding

「いっぺん死んで見る?」

#84 User is offline   feuerwerke 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:46 PM

This is honestly an ideal guest list for me, so don't beat yourself up too much, Ken! The quality makes up for the lack of quantity like whoa.
ACen 2014 cosplays
  • Junko Enoshima

#85 User is offline   Krystal 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 14958

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:51 PM

Do you have any idea how many other cons, or even other ACen mods/staff, would simply blame the attendees for asking for "omg yu asked or guests too much and now I was too stressed to get any?"

The three things that matter to me in whether a con is good is they way they treat their guests, staff and attendees, their ability to take personal responsibility, and their ability to be organized. While guest acquisitions this year were hectic, ACen is by no means less this year. THANK YOU for telling us.
Acen 2011: I lost my red kodak camera. If you found it, PLEASE contact me. I really miss it.

#86 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:19 AM

The list is done, not much you can do about it now and the con will carry on as it has. Take it for what it is, learn from this year, plan accordingly, and execute for next. Gotta build solid foundations for relationships, now and into the future. Thank you for the work and candor El Ken.

#87 User is offline   El Ken 

• PipPipPip

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:31 AM

View Postrondo, on 07 May 2013 - 07:19 AM, said:

The list is done, not much you can do about it now and the con will carry on as it has. Take it for what it is, learn from this year, plan accordingly, and execute for next. Gotta build solid foundations for relationships, now and into the future. Thank you for the work and candor El Ken.

Thanks. By the way, I've always meant to tell you that I love your avatar.
Ken Leiding

@kenleiding

「いっぺん死んで見る?」

#88 User is offline   Bard-kun 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 212

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:30 PM

View Postrondo, on 07 May 2013 - 07:19 AM, said:

Seconding this. It was good to get a look at the whole process and I appreciate Ken's updates/hard work!

...I also second Ken's praise for that avatar.
Join the parade.

HENT4RMAGEDDON: You Can (Not) Unsee. Tentatively scheduled for 12:30-2:30 AM in the Donald E Stephens Convention Center, Panel Room Six. Join us for an evening of fun, games, and memories so twisted you'll wish you could live in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

#89 User is offline   feuerwerke 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:20 PM

...Thirding avatar praise, it's actually why I want to watch Chuunibyou at some point ahaha.

Also yes, Ken, you're awesome, keep up the hard work and I'm sure in the near future you'll put together a super stunning guest list! But this year is good enough for me.
ACen 2014 cosplays
  • Junko Enoshima

#90 User is offline   YoungBirdcall 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 59429

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:57 AM

View PostKrystal, on 06 May 2013 - 11:51 PM, said:

The three things that matter to me in whether a con is good is they way they treat their guests, staff and attendees, their ability to take personal responsibility, and their ability to be organized. While guest acquisitions this year were hectic, ACen is by no means less this year. THANK YOU for telling us.

This.
"Thursday Late Night Meet 'n Greet" O.G. (the one at the bar, not that pancake one)

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users