• You cannot reply to this topic

Styling/making your own wigs need help

#1 User is offline   Level-5 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 62879

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:28 PM

I'm buying two wigs from Arda and my question is that would it be better to style it on my own, even though I have no experience cutting wigs, or would it be safer to call someone like a stylist? Or would it be better to get someone who knows how to do cosplay wigs for the characters I want?

My issue is that if I find someone professionally it might cost me an arm and a leg to do two wigs in the way I want.

This post has been edited by Level-5: 19 February 2013 - 08:28 PM

#2 User is offline   Yandere Emi 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 61049

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:39 PM

If it's a basic style just go slowly and read a lot of tutorials first and you'll be fine. :) It's not as scary as it seems. :) If it's something REALLY crazy you might be better off commissioning someone :)
My Cosplay Blog (with Cellomanlove)

ACen 2014: Shindou Ai (Kyoukai no Kanata/Beyond the Boundary - Idol ver.), Irisviel von Einzbern (Fate/zero - coat version), Jakuzure Nonon (Kill la Kill)

ACen 2013: Hibari (Double H) & Caster/Extra
ACen 2012 : Kaname Madoka & Irisviel von Einzbern

#3 User is offline   MishaB 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 17419

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:43 PM

It mainly up to you. Doing a little research always help. There are a lot of online video tutorials that can show you how to cut and style a wig as well as webpages.

If styling a wig scares you (afraid to ruin the wig), you can call or visit local salons and ask how much it would cost to have a stylist do it. You could also commission someone to style a wig for you. However, styling a wig yourself will save you extra money over the other two options. If you're interested in trying to style a wig yourself, start off by searching to How-To videos. Youtube has a good amount of them ^_^/>

This post has been edited by MishaB: 19 February 2013 - 08:44 PM

COSPLAY ACen 2013

Fri/Sat/Sun: Oerba Yun Fang
Percentage done: 0%

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" Adam Savage (Mythbusters)

#4 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 33629

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:04 AM

Well, if you want to, asking someone you know styles good wigs is a safe route to go. Any place that cuts hair will cut your wig for you, if you just need a trim on it or a different cut style than it has out of the package. However if you do what the posters above me said, and watch tutorials and learn to do it yourself, it'll save you money and you will get better at it. It's not hard to cut a wig; They are actually a lot more forgiving than real hair, at least in my experience.

Damn Thread's fearless leaderReluctant Member of the Little Maids CorpsUGUU~
ACen 2013 Cosplay: LOL whatever I manage to throw together at this point...-_-;;

#5 User is offline   Level-5 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 62879

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:37 PM

The problem is not me doing it but messing up and having to buy 60 dollars in wigs again. I really never did this before.

EDIT: also on topic where do you buy low rider/low back tennis shoes? I can't seem to find any on ebay in brown or other wise. I keep finding clogs or heels.

Trying to get the Magnum and Jaguar from Arda wigs:

http://arda-wigs.com...lections/jaguar

http://arda-wigs.com...lections/magnum

Trying to do these two:

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Level-5: 13 March 2013 - 04:39 PM

#6 User is offline   Rinzle 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 62857

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:56 PM

View PostLevel-5, on 13 March 2013 - 04:37 PM, said:

The problem is not me doing it but messing up and having to buy 60 dollars in wigs again. I really never did this before.

EDIT: also on topic where do you buy low rider/low back tennis shoes? I can't seem to find any on ebay in brown or other wise. I keep finding clogs or heels.

Trying to get the Magnum and Jaguar from Arda wigs:

http://arda-wigs.com...lections/jaguar

http://arda-wigs.com...lections/magnum

Trying to do these two:

Posted Image

Posted Image

those are actually pretty easy styles to do based off of the wigs that you got/are getting. Jaguar in black and magnum in white look up tutorials on youtube on how to cut and trim cosplay wigs. you may just find someone with a tutorial for those characters. You can find the scissors you would need at walmart down by all the hair styling tools. Good Luck and go slowly

This post has been edited by Rinzle: 03 April 2013 - 10:57 PM

ACen 2015 cosplays
Himino- Pretear - Plant
Irelia base sking - League of Legends
Past Cons
ACen 2014-Otakon 2013-Anime Midwest 2013-ACen 2013-Anime Milwaukee 2013-ACen 2011- No Brand Con 2008-
Past cosplays
Neo Queen Serenity V.1 & V.2-Usagi Tsukino School uniform-Yuna FFX-Princess Serenity-

#7 User is offline   Lelo 

• Merchandise Staff
  • Pip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 25302

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:08 AM

I would recommend you buy some really cheap wigs off ebay first so that you can practice and botch them up as much as you want until you're comfortable to move onto your Arda wig.
Merchandise salesgirl extraordinaire 2012, 2013, 2014

2014 cosplay:
Friday -- Winry Rockbell from Fullmetal Alchemist
Saturday -- Winry Rockbell from Fullmetal Alchemist
Sunday -- you guessed it, Winry again, and then zebra mask shenanigans!

my Fullmetal Alchemist tumblr

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users