• You cannot reply to this topic

Final Fantasy 13 Fang wig Styling tips needed

#1 User is offline   MishaB 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 17419

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

My boyfriend has convinced me to go to ACen this year with him and we're going as Snow Villiers and Oerba Yun Fang.

I haven't gotten the wig yet but I am thinking about picking up this one from Amphigory.com in either Dark Brown or Natural Black (and using either spray paint or canned hair color spray) to color the tips red.

I have NEVER styled a wig before, so I'm in need of some help with how to approach cutting/styling a wig to Fang's hairstyle. All tips appreciated!

Posted Image
COSPLAY ACen 2013

Fri/Sat/Sun: Oerba Yun Fang
Percentage done: 0%

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" Adam Savage (Mythbusters)

#2 User is offline   Wingypoo 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 62448

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:16 PM

That looks like a nice wig actually. Have you checked arda-wigs.com?
Might be some other ones on there that i've missed too xD Looked kinda fast.
As far as spray painting a wig i wouldnt recommend it unless you use the stuff meant for hair (like the stuff you use as highlights or even the stuff you'd get from halloween stores that makes your hair look bright green or w/e). I definitely wouldnt use much of it since it can get clumpy. Styling is something i'm pretty new to as well but i found that light amounts of hairspray work well. You can use Got2b freeze it spray if you really want more of a hold. I've heard that works wonderfully. I have yet to try it myself but i've heard nothing but good things about it. If you're uncomfortable/unsure on how to cut a wig you can ask a salon or if you have friends that cut hair, that works too. There's plenty of links out there on how to layer if you need to do it.
I would also recommend using Silicone spray on your wig to keep it from getting tangled/frizzy. Link for recommendations on how to use it, what not to use etc : http://www.cosplay.c...ad.php?t=185958
I've been using just a spray in hair conditioner since the 3 wigs i own are short or in an up do. I'm a beginner myself on this whole wig thing too.Spike wig (Sorry for the blurryness in this photo.)
That's the wig i got from Arda called a Magnum. doing a female version of Spike spiegel and wanted to keep a feminine look to it but also that "I dont give a crap" appearance. I just used some of the spray in conditioner and some general hairspray (very small amounts). I plan on using some of the Got2b freezing spray to hold some stuff in place but yea, that'll come later. I hope this helps and if you have any other questions i'll try to throw out what i know. It's really a learning process and i totally understand how you feel.

This post has been edited by Wingypoo: 19 February 2013 - 02:16 PM

Hope is comforting. It allows us to accept fate, no matter how tragic it might be. ~ Yunalesca FFX

#3 User is offline   MishaB 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

Thanks for the reply. Was starting to think I wasn't going to get any help on this, lol.

Never thought of asking a salon to style the wig, thanks for the tip. I'll ask around, but I might end up styling it myself (cursed money constraints! >.<)

I looked up several videos on how to cut a wig, so I think I can figure out how to layer the wig, but doing the messy flips and curls that look to be in Fang's hair is what I'm mainly concerned about :(

I've seen a few tutorials on how to curl a wig, but I don't need a very tight curl/wave which seem to be the end results in the ones I've looked at. Fang's style is more on the sexy messy category, and I have no idea how to style it too look like that :unsure:
COSPLAY ACen 2013

#4 User is offline   Wingypoo 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:47 PM

View PostMishaB, on 19 February 2013 - 02:28 PM, said:

Thanks for the reply. Was starting to think I wasn't going to get any help on this, lol.

Never thought of asking a salon to style the wig, thanks for the tip. I'll ask around, but I might end up styling it myself (cursed money constraints! >.<)

I looked up several videos on how to cut a wig, so I think I can figure out how to layer the wig, but doing the messy flips and curls that look to be in Fang's hair is what I'm mainly concerned about :(/>

I've seen a few tutorials on how to curl a wig, but I don't need a very tight curl/wave which seem to be the end results in the ones I've looked at. Fang's style is more on the sexy messy category, and I have no idea how to style it too look like that :unsure:/>

I googled for you and found this response: You can braid the wig or dampen the hair with cool water and roll it up in curlers (while on a wig head). Then, just dump hot water on the wig a few times, allowing the wig to cool but not dry between treatments. Once dry, undo the hair from the braids/curlers and run your fingers through it until it's as curlly as you want it. Finish with some hairspray and the style should hold for 1-3 days.
I've heard this works and also here's a link on youtube for spiking: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAMfAl4Re60[/media]
Granted her wig is already layered so i'd highly recommend going that route. It'll save you lots of time too. You don't have to ask the salon to style it if you feel like you can style it on your own but ask them to cut it if that'll help. That way they can layer it for you which will make the spiking easier. That's if you need alot of work done on the wig which you may or may not. :3 and Np i dont claim to know alot about this since i'm learning alot still. lol. Good luck :)
Hope is comforting. It allows us to accept fate, no matter how tragic it might be. ~ Yunalesca FFX

#5 User is offline   MishaB 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:21 PM

Would something like the "Punky" wig she is using in that video be a good starting base wig for Fang's hair?
COSPLAY ACen 2013

#6 User is offline   Wingypoo 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:04 PM

View PostMishaB, on 19 February 2013 - 06:21 PM, said:

Would something like the "Punky" wig she is using in that video be a good starting base wig for Fang's hair?

Yea you could although she says that wig isn't sold by cosplay.com anymore so you'd have to go with the link she has below that description. I'd stick to the wig you initially found OR there are these options too via arda:
http://arda-wigs.com/products/jareth
http://arda-wigs.com/products/morpheus
The second one is basically the same as the first wig..just thicker and a lace front. I've never used those so not entirely sure on different those are. The first wig, however, would be great for spiking or making that messy appearance. It says on wiki Fang's hair is dark brown although it looks almost 3 tone to me xD but w/e. They dont have all the colors up there but they do have a gallery if you're curious on what each color looks like. This is dark brown (and apologies on my derp expression xD) : Miaka wig
Was my first time making buns..definitely not perfect :/ Lots of terrible words uttered. They're really great quality for the price too. The jareth would be a fine choice to spike/style like you want. Morpheus might be a little overkill but meh, figured i'd throw out options xD

#7 User is offline   MishaB 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:36 PM

I looked around and found one off Amphigory that is similar to the wig she was using.

http://www.amphigory...wigs_punky.html
COSPLAY ACen 2013

#8 User is offline   Wingypoo 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:40 PM

View PostMishaB, on 19 February 2013 - 07:36 PM, said:

I looked around and found one off Amphigory that is similar to the wig she was using.

http://www.amphigory...wigs_punky.html

That'd work :D

#9 User is offline   MishaB 

• Ace
  • PipPip

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:42 PM

I think so too. Doesn't look like I would have to do a lot of cutting with it. Still scared of styling it though >.> Lol
COSPLAY ACen 2013

#10 User is offline   Wingypoo 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:07 PM

View PostMishaB, on 19 February 2013 - 07:42 PM, said:

I think so too. Doesn't look like I would have to do a lot of cutting with it. Still scared of styling it though >.> Lol

Totes understandable :) Just do a small spot and test. Made me nervous too lol.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users