• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"Fem" Cosplay

#31 User is offline   Shepard 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 63423

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:11 PM

I see this in a kind of different way, haha. I have an assassin's creed/link crossover costume and it always confuses me when people look at it and go, "oh! fem assassin's creed link!"

I mean, I like fem costumes, don't get me wrong, but I don't know if a girl being dressed as a boy necessarily counts. At the same time, however, I'm not binding my breasts or changing my regular makeup, so it isn't exactly crossplay.... it's very confusing. Sometimes I think we use too many labels.

This goes doubly for my "femshep" costume. I'm obviously a girl, and I'm obviously Commander Shepard, so is the word "fem" really necessary? I mean, I always call male Shepard "boyshep," because I feel like if we're distinguishing when Shepard's a girl, we should also distinguish when she's a boy, but it's not like everyone does that...I don't know, just some feminist ramblings, haha. Sorry to butt in.

What do you guys think? If, for instance, a girl is in a completely accurate iron man suit, not specially made to fit a girl, but she's wearing eyeliner and has her hair down, is it fem?

This post has been edited by Shepard: 01 May 2013 - 01:38 PM

I should go.

#32 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Veteran
  • PipPip
  • Group: Veteran
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:40 PM

It is confusing!

We could just think of it in terms of alternate realities. In another universe Tony Stark was born as a girl instead. There are an infinite amount of universes, so anything is possible. :)

Logically though we can extrapolate what is and isn't crossplay by its definition...

Generally, crossplay is "cosplay in which the person dresses up as a character of a different gender".

When it comes to trying to look like the opposite gender by binding, adding boobs, wearing a wig, wearing facial hair, etc. the term crossplay should be applied. You are one gender portraying the opposite gender. You are trying to convey that you ARE the actual character as we know them, as the gender we know them to be. Simply put, a female that looks like a male character, or a male who looks like a female character.

When you are dressed like the character of a sex opposite to yours, but you are not trying to portray yourself or the character as the sex we know them to be, that is not crossplay. You are the same gender as your character you are dressing as. It just happens that your character is the opposite sex of what we know the character to normally be. Thus, you are not dressing as a character of a different gender than your gender, technically speaking. You are dressing as a character of the same gender as you are, who is the opposite gender of the character we know.

Make sense? Anyone else care to tackle this? Rebuttals?
Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

Cosplays 2013:
Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi - Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG (picture)
Saturday: Chell - Portal 2 (picture)
Sunday: Ness(female version) - Earthbound/Super Smash Bros. (picture)

#33 User is offline   imperfecktion 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 61221

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:39 PM

I agree, this is a tricky topic. I always thought that crossplay was when a person was dressing as a character but as the opposite gender of that character, and I assumed the outfit/costume would be altered in some way to still resemble the character but represent the different gendered version of that character. I think the best example of what I'm talking about would be Finn/Fiona from Adventure Time. It's essentially the same character, and the outfits resemble each other, but they are altered in a way that is particular to that version of the character. But when I think of it that way, it sounds a bit sexist to me. Like, why does a skirt or a bow have to be an indicator that the person is a female version/crossplay? Oh god, my inner feminist is in turmoil.

The concept of gender and race in cosplay interested me enough to blog about it. My blog mainly talks about superheroes and characters in comics and cartoons, but I felt inspired. Check it out and give your opinion please: I Need A Hero ^_^

This post has been edited by imperfecktion: 01 May 2013 - 05:40 PM

New to ACen
Cosplay Ideas 2013: Numbuh Five from Codename KND, Fem Nick Fury, maybe Princess Mononoke

#34 User is offline   Twifairy 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 65191

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:37 AM

View PostSanta Finland, on 18 February 2013 - 10:37 PM, said:

I don't know if I'm bringing it to ACen yet but I have been working on a fem! lolita version of the 10th Doctor.

That's such a cute cosplay, I love it!
ACen 2014 Cosplay: Amane Misa, DEATH NOTE: The Last Name

Friends' Cosplays: Mary (Ib), Fem!Hiroshi (Ao Oni), Miku/Gir Crossover (Hatsune Miku, Invader Zim), Hyuga Hinata and Orihara Izaya (Naruto and Durarara!!)

"Go to sleep, my little killers. Mommy's got a big day ahead for you tomorrow."

#35 User is offline   KusanagiRobin 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 17338
  • Location:Wanted in the Seireitei for impersonating Byakuya Kuchiki

Posted 30 March 2014 - 05:15 PM

I'm doing a fem cosplay this year as well! Me and my friend are doing versions of 11th Squad members Ikkaku Madarame (me) and Yumichika Ayasegawa (her) from Bleach (although we often joke that, with Yumichika, she doesn't need to do much, lol).

As for any personal opinion about fem cosplay, I don't really mind. In fact, if it's really awesome I'll ask for a pic! Like with any other kind of cosplay, it only really sticks in my craw when there's not much thought put into it, and/or like imperfecktion said, you just stick a pretty bow and a skirt onto the original design and call it "fem". Fem can be beautiful, but also hard and dangerous. ;)

(Biased) example: Ikkaku is manly as heck, even to the point of baldness. That's exactly what I like about Ikkaku, and I didn't want to soften him up too much by any means. Now, I did give him hair, but it's a punky black/red mix, and I have my version wearing a red scarf to give homage to his baldness. I also gave my design earrings, but the earrings look exactly like his bankai. As for the main outfit, most Bleach characters, men and women, wear a standard hakama/robe outfit. I was inspired by how Ikkaku always tears up his clothes in fights, so I redesigned the top to make it an off-the-shoulder design, but with "battle wrapping" across the chest. Then the eye makeup will be a little more liberal, but not sparkly. And voila.
ACen 2014 Cosplay ("From the Spirit World"):
Fem!Ikkaku Madarame (Bleach) :: San (Princess Mononoke) :: Boogiepop/Touka Miyashita (Boogiepop Phantom)

#36 User is offline   Miayoko 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 65210

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:41 PM

View PostSanta Finland, on 18 February 2013 - 10:37 PM, said:

I don't know if I'm bringing it to ACen yet but I have been working on a fem! lolita version of the 10th Doctor.

I just now realized this was you madam <.< I will roll around teasing you on facebook now.

But on topic you make an adorable Fem 10th

And I personally see NOTHING wrong with Fem!Versions of characters. If it's what you are comfortable with then do it.

I've done a few in the past :) Granted, canonly because Hetalia, but still did.
ACen 2014 Cosplays:
Friday: Surprise Cosplay - 30%
Saturday: Sasha Braus - 100%
Sunday: America - 100%

#37 User is offline   Voxx 

• Iron Chef
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Iron Chef
  • Member No.: 16994

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:23 AM

There's nothing wrong with doing Fem cosplays. If its something that character would wear as a girl then awesome. I also do a fem 10th Doctor with my bf genderbent as Rose :) This was my first real genderbend. I've done Fionna from AT but shes an actual genderbent character.
http://www.cosplay.com/costume/472146/
Allons-y Sugar Pea!

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users