Anime Central Forums: The 2014 Prop Acceptability Checklist - Anime Central Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The 2014 Prop Acceptability Checklist Read me, please! I have good info for you!

#61 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:57 AM

Orange cap is visible, it's a go~ Just be sure it's unloaded and disabled as you carry it around con.
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#62 User is offline   Kamen Rider Gumo 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 63025

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:12 PM

View PostValkyrie, on 08 May 2013 - 04:57 AM, said:

Orange cap is visible, it's a go~ Just be sure it's unloaded and disabled as you carry it around con.

Gun is non-firing; it's a very old toy I've had since the late 80s (predating even the orange tip requirement for toy guns). it used to have a working trigger and a sound mechanism, but those broke years ago, so I locked the trigger down. Won't even move anymore.
Why did I choose a Red Ribbon soldier for my cosplay? Because I'm a little short for a Stormtrooper.

#63 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:26 AM

Excellent. In that case, you're all set!
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#64 User is offline   limitless-loveless 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 36970

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:46 PM

Hello, I was wondering if a ratchet would be an acceptable prop. It made of steel but there are no sharp points, all of the steel is rounded. Thank you so much for your help!

#65 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:18 AM

The ratchet will be fine, just take care when handling it. :)

#66 User is offline   DabbleDeDork 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 61726

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:49 PM

Hello! I know that realistic guns are okay now as long as they are not made of metal, have an orange tip, and are disabled. However, the only gun I could find that is close to the character I'm cosplaying has a metal barrel. So I was wondering if it would be okay, since the barrel is enclosed and not visible in any way.

This post has been edited by DabbleDeDork: 12 May 2013 - 12:49 PM

~~*Planned 2013 Cosplay*~~
Octavia from MLP:FiM
Homura Akemi from PMMM
Stocking from PSG

#67 User is offline   Some People 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 9215
  • Location:Winfield, Illinois (for some it's Wheaton). Come stalk us!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:19 PM

Chiming in with my own question--my brother's costume involves a real hammer. Is that okay/etc? I never know what is/isn't considered "live steel". (One year they told us our tennis rackets were, so...)
Account mainly used by Gabi.
Acen `07: ~Gabi~Nicole~HannaH~Pauline~Nick~|Acen `08: ~Gabi~Nicole~HannaH~Nick~|Acen `09: ~Gabi~Julia~Nicole~Katherine~Nick~
Acen `10: ~Gabi~Julia~Katherine~Analie~Amanda~Mikaela~Nick~Chelsea~Mary~
Acen `11: ~Gabi~Katherine~Analie~Julia~Mikaela~Jenny~Susan~Chelsea~Nick~Mary~
Acen `12: ~Gabi~Aimee~Nick~ (It's prom weekend. :x)
(And, of course: Gabi's mom [and for `10, `11, Katherine's mom]! Who is so absolutely wonderful and agreed to chaperone us crazy kids all going-on-four years! Thank you mom!)

#68 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 591

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:31 PM

There are no restrictions as to the materials that gun props can be made from, as long as they conform to the rules in the post at the beginning of this thread.

As for hammers and live steel, there's a definition of what is live steel in the post at the beginning of this thread. Hammers are generally not. (Edited to add: claw hammers are not allowed due to the claw having a blade-like edge. Ball-peen hammers, for example, are okay.) Neither are tennis rackets; I'm not sure why you were told that, but I'll make sure we pay special attention to that in orientation this year.
Eli "Rabbi" Morris-Heft: IRT Assistant Department Head
SecDiv Dispatch 2004, IRT Communications ADH 2005-06, IRT Dispatch Supervisor 2007-2010, IRT Dispatch Commander 2011, IRT ADH 2012-, IT Senior Sysadmin 2007-2011, ACen Clergy, 2004-

"Two-three the count with nobody on / He hit a high fly into the stands / Roundin' third, he was headed for home / It was a brown-eyed handsome man (that won the game) / It was a brown-eyed handsome man." (Brown-Eyed Handsome Man by Chuck Berry)

I <3 People Who <3 IRT!Want to help make IRT even better? Apply next year!

#69 User is offline   loki00000 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 62425

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:59 AM

I will freely admit I messed up and didn't check rules before coming, but IRT was nice enough to Zip-tie disable my prop guns... with one issue;
Only one gun they zip tied was actually disabled. And when It came to revolver style, I did one my self after I was told they couldn't disable it (cylinder locked by zip-tie) but the revolving GL just got a zip tie around the trigger guard, and my friends rifle got a zip tie on the sling attach mount on the forearm. I love the fact that IRT's were helping people comply with rules rather then blanket throw them out, but a little better instruction of how to disable air soft type things could have helped.
but again, having the IRT's help others get in compliance is above and beyond, and saved me a long walk to drop / tie down gear!

This post has been edited by loki00000: 20 May 2013 - 11:59 AM

#70 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:23 PM

I'm glad to hear that our ops were out there doing exactly what they were supposed to do! Sometimes it's hard for those of us who have been working under one set of rules for so long to remember to adjust when a new set comes along, but I haven't heard any complaints about ops sticking to the old gun prop rules, and that makes me a happy Rabbi.

A point of clarification, though: while the zip can be used to help disable a gun, the primary reason we put zip ties on gun props is so you have a way to show other IRT ops that the prop has already been checked. Putting it on in such a way so as to disable the gun prop and bring it into compliance is just a nice bonus.
SecDiv Dispatch 2004, IRT Communications ADH 2005-06, IRT Dispatch Supervisor 2007-2010, IRT Dispatch Commander 2011, IRT ADH 2012-, IT Senior Sysadmin 2007-2011, ACen Clergy, 2004-

"Two-three the count with nobody on / He hit a high fly into the stands / Roundin' third, he was headed for home / It was a brown-eyed handsome man (that won the game) / It was a brown-eyed handsome man." (Brown-Eyed Handsome Man by Chuck Berry)

#71 User is offline   loki00000 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 62425

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:07 PM

View PostTheRabbi, on 20 May 2013 - 02:23 PM, said:

I'm glad to hear that our ops were out there doing exactly what they were supposed to do! Sometimes it's hard for those of us who have been working under one set of rules for so long to remember to adjust when a new set comes along, but I haven't heard any complaints about ops sticking to the old gun prop rules, and that makes me a happy Rabbi.

A point of clarification, though: while the zip can be used to help disable a gun, the primary reason we put zip ties on gun props is so you have a way to show other IRT ops that the prop has already been checked. Putting it on in such a way so as to disable the gun prop and bring it into compliance is just a nice bonus.

Good to know, but I would hate to see some one abuse the spirit of the rule, and load an air soft after having it checked, as esp with revolver types, it can be hard to tell at a glance if its loaded. If you want I could send over a few pics of how to disable different types of airsofts quickly and effectively, as most mechanically mirror real guns.

#72 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:09 PM

I appreciate the idea, but we have staff who have that experience; we just apparently need to incorporate it into our training next year.

#73 User is offline   UmbreonGirl 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 64016

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:29 AM

If I bring an airsoft pistol, what would be defined as being "disabled?" Would removing the magazine and having no BBs in it be considered disabled? The barrel cannot be plugged with glue because this gun will actually be used (not at convention, obviously).

This post has been edited by UmbreonGirl: 19 July 2013 - 01:36 AM

#74 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:28 AM

One way to disable it would be to tie/tape down the trigger. Having no magazine/BBs in it would make it unloaded.

#75 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:09 AM

View PostValkyrie, on 19 July 2013 - 05:28 AM, said:

One way to disable it would be to tie/tape down the trigger. Having no magazine/BBs in it would make it unloaded.

To be clear, unloading it is also required.

#76 User is offline   Jos 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 64919

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:29 AM

Are quadsuits allowed at ACen?

#77 User is offline   Fantasia 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 63205

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:36 PM

I am not OP, but I have seen quad suits at ACen before. I am sure it's ok as long as it doesn't highly disrupt the traffic.
ACen COSPLAYS 2015:

Giratina

#78 User is offline   Jos 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:52 PM

View PostFantasia, on 14 January 2014 - 03:36 PM, said:

I am not OP, but I have seen quad suits at ACen before. I am sure it's ok as long as it doesn't highly disrupt the traffic.

thanks =]

#79 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:03 PM

Yep. As long as it doesn't break any of these rules:

• Is used or handled unsafely.
• Fails to comply with local laws.
• Leaves your feet bare.
• Has vulgar remarks or hate speech such as Swastika or SS bolts
• Will damage hotel property (example: pointy spikes or body paint on the uncovered areas you use to sit).
• Has harmful protrusions such as spikes or sharp edges.
• Extends more than six inches (6”) from your body in any direction. If you have a long tail, for example, it is acceptable if you hold it against your body, but unacceptable if you let it drag behind.
• Has a sign that is not obviously part of the costume.
• Impedes others’ view during seated events. (For this type of issue, you will not be asked to go change, but you may be asked to leave the event or move to the back of a viewing area).

Then it should be fine. :3

#80 User is offline   Jos 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:08 PM

View PostValkyrie, on 14 January 2014 - 05:03 PM, said:

Yep. As long as it doesn't break any of these rules:

• Is used or handled unsafely.
• Fails to comply with local laws.
• Leaves your feet bare.
• Has vulgar remarks or hate speech such as Swastika or SS bolts
• Will damage hotel property (example: pointy spikes or body paint on the uncovered areas you use to sit).
• Has harmful protrusions such as spikes or sharp edges.
• Extends more than six inches (6”) from your body in any direction. If you have a long tail, for example, it is acceptable if you hold it against your body, but unacceptable if you let it drag behind.
• Has a sign that is not obviously part of the costume.
• Impedes others’ view during seated events. (For this type of issue, you will not be asked to go change, but you may be asked to leave the event or move to the back of a viewing area).

Then it should be fine. :3

Awesome Thanks so much! =)

#81 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:13 PM

Almost forgot! Depending on your particular quadsuit (specifically, whether it impedes your range of vision and/or how it's built), you'll want to have a walker on hand just in case. :)

#82 User is offline   Jos 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:28 PM

View PostValkyrie, on 14 January 2014 - 05:13 PM, said:

Almost forgot! Depending on your particular quadsuit (specifically, whether it impedes your range of vision and/or how it's built), you'll want to have a walker on hand just in case. :)/>

What do u mean by walker? like the metal walkers with the tenis balls on the end? :o

#83 User is offline   Fantasia 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 63205

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:37 PM

View PostJos, on 14 January 2014 - 05:28 PM, said:

What do u mean by walker? like the metal walkers with the tenis balls on the end? :o/>

for nearly any fursuit you should have a handler...or walker, as they said. It can be a friend, sibling, whatever. Their job is to keep you from bumping into things and people, and direct you along the con without a hitch. They make sure you don;t break anything, since fursuits, especially quadsuits, have limited vision.
ACen COSPLAYS 2015:

Giratina

#84 User is offline   Jos 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:40 PM

View PostFantasia, on 14 January 2014 - 05:37 PM, said:

for nearly any fursuit you should have a handler...or walker, as they said. It can be a friend, sibling, whatever. Their job is to keep you from bumping into things and people, and direct you along the con without a hitch. They make sure you don;t break anything, since fursuits, especially quadsuits, have limited vision.

Oh alright, Sorry was confused for a sec, thanks for the clear up and yes I can bring a friend =) Thanks for all the information

#85 User is offline   WatchJessieGo 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 63035

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:28 AM

So as long as an airsoft gun is disabled and unloaded, it's good? What would be the preferred method of disabling it (so I can tell my commissioner)?
ACen 2015 cosplay:
Oktavia von Seckendorff (Puella Magi Madoka Magica) - 0% (planning stages)
Fem!Slenderman - 30%
Shirahoshi Hime (One Piece) - 50%

#86 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 53583

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:23 AM

View PostWatchJessieGo, on 31 January 2014 - 08:28 AM, said:

So as long as an airsoft gun is disabled and unloaded, it's good? What would be the preferred method of disabling it (so I can tell my commissioner)?

I believe it usually involves filling the gun with resin so it can not fire. I'm not sure if this is the only thing that'd have to be done though.
No Soap = No Waifu Winner of the 2015 "Got Soap" slogan contest. ;)

"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

#87 User is offline   WatchJessieGo 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 63035

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:26 PM

Are arrows made of wooden dowel rods allowed at all? No sharp points at all.
ACen 2015 cosplay:
Oktavia von Seckendorff (Puella Magi Madoka Magica) - 0% (planning stages)
Fem!Slenderman - 30%
Shirahoshi Hime (One Piece) - 50%

#88 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:00 PM

View PostKungPowKirby, on 31 January 2014 - 10:23 AM, said:

I believe it usually involves filling the gun with resin so it can not fire. I'm not sure if this is the only thing that'd have to be done though.

Actually, that is not necessary at all. (I'd hate to have people do that to their guns.) In fact, if one were to bring an airsoft to IRT at con that needed disabling, we just ziptie the trigger back so that it can't fire - after ensuring that it's not loaded, of course. If you're able to procure a ziptie at home, you can do the same. :)

View PostWatchJessieGo, on 10 February 2014 - 02:26 PM, said:

Are arrows made of wooden dowel rods allowed at all? No sharp points at all.

Alas, no loose arrows are allowed. Sorry about that.

#89 User is offline   Jos 

• Regular
  • PipPip

Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:20 PM

Just a quick question, my costume has antlers heres a few reference pictures, they are approximately 26" in length but will be centered on the head and down along the back because its a quadsuit, they are rounded off at the tips and are made of tin foil, duck tape and pipe cleaners but I planned on adding clay to make them more durable. I just want to make sure i'm not breaking any rules with them. They will be attached to a foam head which in turn is attached to a helmet.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#90 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:26 PM

As long as the antlers stay within the 6-inch bubble (that is, they're not reaching past 6 inches from any part of your body in any direction), then they'll be fine.

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users