Anime Central Forums: The 2014 Prop Acceptability Checklist - Anime Central Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The 2014 Prop Acceptability Checklist Read me, please! I have good info for you!

#31 User is offline   Sayuri-chan 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 3228

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:19 AM

Sweet. I know my commissioner dude is taking a lot of time to make this for me, and I didn't want to have to paint the end. Glad there's an alternative! Thanks for answering my questions, everyone!
♥ ACen REG STAFF: 2005-2008 ♥
♥ Persona owns my soul. Proud to be a member of the UYFA! Proud Supporter of the I.R.T.!
"The Chumps" are back to entertain and amuse. Come join us Friday, in Panel Room 4 from 12:30-2:45pm, and Saturday/Sunday in Panel Room 12, from 12:45-3:15a.
Cosplay for 2014 ACen:|Skull Kid--LOZ: Majora's Mask/0% complete|||Genkai-Yuu Yuu Hakusho/100% complete|||Sir Integra Fairbrook Wingates Hellsing-Hellsing Ultimate Abridged Ver./75% complete
Current quote: "Costumes, I need to do that still...Costumes, I need to do that still...Costumes, I need to do that still..."
Current blurb: はい、少し日本語を話します。たのしすぎる! ♪♫♪♫音楽が大好き!♪♫♪♫

#32 User is offline   VIRU5 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 23222

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:09 AM

So I didn't see anything about baseball bats or the like, but I was looking to have a wooden baseball bat as a prop. It would have short one to two inch "spikes" in it [like the middle character in this image http://25.media.tumb...ygkto1_1280.jpg ] BUT I would be making them rounded off, not pointed, per say. Would that be okay as long as the spikes were rounded and not pointy? They'd be made of paperclay or foam. Also, the spikes on the rest of the outfit would also be made of foam or paperclay and rounded as well.
Simple and clean is the way that you're making me feel tonight...
A scattered dream that's like a far off memory...
...A far off memory that's like a scattered dream.
I want to line the pieces up...
...yours and mine.
It's hard to let it go.

#33 User is offline   Fantasia 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 63205

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:12 PM

Asking just in case...I may be purchasing a spiked collar to wear for one of my cosplays. I'm sure its ok, as long as the spikes aren't sharp, but I wanted to be sure from the info of a pro ^-^

This post has been edited by Fantasia: 24 March 2013 - 01:27 PM

ACen COSPLAYS 2015:

Giratina

#34 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:49 PM

View PostVIRU5, on 24 March 2013 - 01:09 AM, said:

So I didn't see anything about baseball bats or the like, but I was looking to have a wooden baseball bat as a prop. It would have short one to two inch "spikes" in it [like the middle character in this image http://25.media.tumb...ygkto1_1280.jpg ] BUT I would be making them rounded off, not pointed, per say. Would that be okay as long as the spikes were rounded and not pointy? They'd be made of paperclay or foam. Also, the spikes on the rest of the outfit would also be made of foam or paperclay and rounded as well.

View PostFantasia, on 24 March 2013 - 01:12 PM, said:

Asking just in case...I may be purchasing a spiked collar to wear for one of my cosplays. I'm sure its ok, as long as the spikes aren't sharp, but I wanted to be sure from the info of a pro ^-^

Yes, both of you will be fine!
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#35 User is offline   XxNightrayLovexX 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 63359

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:21 PM

This wasn't quite clarified in the list, so, I have two important questions (well, three, actually :I):

My main cosplay character carries dynamite. Is it permitted for cosplayers to carry pipe props on them? (I have over fourteen pipe props resembling dynamite as part of my cosplay. They are hollow, and the caps on them can be removed if asked. I don't want there to be any problems carrying them / having them on me, you know?)

My second question is this. I am considering cosplaying as someone who wears a cropped top, basically. What exactly are your regulations in regards to this?

Also (in regards to the first cosplay), would it be alright to have a costume cigarette, referring to one that actually has smoke coming from it, but isn't really a cigarette? c:
"Although I’m weak and full of flaws, I will never stop moving forward. No matter who I am, no other than myself will create my own existence. No matter what others may think or feel, I will still move forward as myself.” - Oz Vessalius <3

~ACen 2013/2014 Cosplay~
Kuroko Tetsuya (KnB) and Ryuuko Matoi (Kill la Kill)

~ACen 2015 Cosplay~
Ryuuko Matoi (Kill la Kill); Kuroko Tetsuya (Kuroko no Basuke); Kuroo Tetsurou and/or Kotaro Bokuto (Haikyuu!!); Shinkai Hayato and/or Arakita Yasutomo (Yowamushi Pedal)

#36 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 591

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:36 AM

View PostXxNightrayLovexX, on 27 March 2013 - 03:21 PM, said:

This wasn't quite clarified in the list, so, I have two important questions (well, three, actually :I):

My main cosplay character carries dynamite. Is it permitted for cosplayers to carry pipe props on them? (I have over fourteen pipe props resembling dynamite as part of my cosplay. They are hollow, and the caps on them can be removed if asked. I don't want there to be any problems carrying them / having them on me, you know?)

My second question is this. I am considering cosplaying as someone who wears a cropped top, basically. What exactly are your regulations in regards to this?

Also (in regards to the first cosplay), would it be alright to have a costume cigarette, referring to one that actually has smoke coming from it, but isn't really a cigarette? c:

The pipes are fine. Don't throw them at anyone or hit anyone with them, obviously. Unfortunately, the costume cigarette is not allowed, by hotel policy. (We've asked about e-cigs before, and they want those outside as well; this would fall under that ruling too.)

As for your second question, a good rule to use is whether your costume covers less than a normal bathing suit does. If it does, we likely won't allow it.

Eli "Rabbi" Morris-Heft: IRT Assistant Department Head
SecDiv Dispatch 2004, IRT Communications ADH 2005-06, IRT Dispatch Supervisor 2007-2010, IRT Dispatch Commander 2011, IRT ADH 2012-, IT Senior Sysadmin 2007-2011, ACen Clergy, 2004-

"Two-three the count with nobody on / He hit a high fly into the stands / Roundin' third, he was headed for home / It was a brown-eyed handsome man (that won the game) / It was a brown-eyed handsome man." (Brown-Eyed Handsome Man by Chuck Berry)

I <3 People Who <3 IRT!Want to help make IRT even better? Apply next year!

#37 User is offline   MusicalMind 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 62970

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:10 AM

How would you determine if a costume severely obstructs the wearer's line-of-sight? I ask because I'm making two Journey costumes for my sister and friend, and I wouldn't want them to get in trouble. Here is a picture of the hood for reference: http://usandthegamei...Y-character.jpg
I plan to cover the eyes with a sheer white fabric. Would this be alright? If not, what should I do to make the hoods con-friendly?
Current projects:
Belle (OUaT) - planning stages
Belle (ballgown) - planning stages
Mami Tomoe - remaking corset, gloves, and boots
Current cosplays:
Ciel Phantomhive - Ciel in Wonderland
Hikaru Hitachiin - Cheshire cat outfit

#38 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:43 AM

View PostMusicalMind, on 12 April 2013 - 09:10 AM, said:

How would you determine if a costume severely obstructs the wearer's line-of-sight? I ask because I'm making two Journey costumes for my sister and friend, and I wouldn't want them to get in trouble. Here is a picture of the hood for reference: http://usandthegamei...Y-character.jpg
I plan to cover the eyes with a sheer white fabric. Would this be alright? If not, what should I do to make the hoods con-friendly?

First, I love the idea of Journey costumes. I wonder if your sister will meet anyone else wearing them?

As long as the wearer of a costume has peripheral vision and can navigate without help from someone else or relying on others to step aside, that costume isn't obstructing line-of-sight. Sheer white fabric is probably thin enough to be just fine.
SecDiv Dispatch 2004, IRT Communications ADH 2005-06, IRT Dispatch Supervisor 2007-2010, IRT Dispatch Commander 2011, IRT ADH 2012-, IT Senior Sysadmin 2007-2011, ACen Clergy, 2004-

"Two-three the count with nobody on / He hit a high fly into the stands / Roundin' third, he was headed for home / It was a brown-eyed handsome man (that won the game) / It was a brown-eyed handsome man." (Brown-Eyed Handsome Man by Chuck Berry)

#39 User is offline   MusicalMind 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 62970

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:03 AM

View PostTheRabbi, on 12 April 2013 - 09:43 AM, said:

First, I love the idea of Journey costumes. I wonder if your sister will meet anyone else wearing them?

As long as the wearer of a costume has peripheral vision and can navigate without help from someone else or relying on others to step aside, that costume isn't obstructing line-of-sight. Sheer white fabric is probably thin enough to be just fine.

Awesome, thanks =)
Current projects:
Belle (OUaT) - planning stages
Belle (ballgown) - planning stages
Mami Tomoe - remaking corset, gloves, and boots
Current cosplays:
Ciel Phantomhive - Ciel in Wonderland
Hikaru Hitachiin - Cheshire cat outfit

#40 User is offline   Rinzle 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 62857

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:29 AM

i just had to measure my wings the what was kinda a scary thought
ACen 2015 cosplays
Himino- Pretear - Plant
Irelia base sking - League of Legends
Past Cons
ACen 2014-Otakon 2013-Anime Midwest 2013-ACen 2013-Anime Milwaukee 2013-ACen 2011- No Brand Con 2008-
Past cosplays
Neo Queen Serenity V.1 & V.2-Usagi Tsukino School uniform-Yuna FFX-Princess Serenity-

#41 User is offline   fooby 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 59646

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:06 PM

I just want to check on a rule given it's wording.
Is the prop longer than the congoer's height when carried, if the congoer is at least 4 feet tall?

If the prop is shorter than the con-goer (5' 7", prop is 62" or 5' 2"), but for ease of transportation due to weight the prop will be put in a back mounted "sheath/holder". While in aforementioned holder the prop will be held between 6-10" off the ground, making the handle of the prop taller than the con-goer (much like a tennis racket put inside a backpack will put the butt of the racket 4-8" above the persons head).

Does the "when carried" include both cases, the prop being carried and held by the con-goer as well as inside the "sheath/holder", and if so would this mean the prop is in violation the rules?

Also 44" of the prop is made of 1/4" Acrylite sheet, do I need to attempt to bevel the edges as they are not "sharp" but they are strait square edges.

This post has been edited by fooby: 20 April 2013 - 08:10 PM

Zeeky Boogy Doog!

#42 User is offline   Manboy 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 63553

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:27 PM

I was considering (if I have the time and such) of trying to cosplay as Ari from Okage:Shadow King http://img.photobuck...ing-1-ivfzt.jpg (The kid up front basically)

I would really like to make a Stan to loom behind me; sort of like in the picture. I know the rules say nothing sticking out more than 6 inches off your body which I understand and can certainly adhere to. What I was wondering is, does that include straight up? I would like if I could have it about a foot at least above if possible. I would have it to where I can remove it if I need to like sit in a panel or whatever, but when I'm walking around normally would like him to be attached to my back. I am more than willing to work with the rules but just want to know if that counts as something sticking off your person or as a prop ect. Thank you!

#43 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:14 PM

View PostManboy, on 25 April 2013 - 03:27 PM, said:

I was considering (if I have the time and such) of trying to cosplay as Ari from Okage:Shadow King http://img.photobuck...ing-1-ivfzt.jpg (The kid up front basically)

I would really like to make a Stan to loom behind me; sort of like in the picture. I know the rules say nothing sticking out more than 6 inches off your body which I understand and can certainly adhere to. What I was wondering is, does that include straight up? I would like if I could have it about a foot at least above if possible. I would have it to where I can remove it if I need to like sit in a panel or whatever, but when I'm walking around normally would like him to be attached to my back. I am more than willing to work with the rules but just want to know if that counts as something sticking off your person or as a prop ect. Thank you!

The rule that we use says that your costume must fit in a six-inch zone that extends out from your body. So, unfortunately, you cannot have something that extends out a foot from your body.

#44 User is offline   Manboy 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 63553

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:25 PM

View PostTheRabbi, on 25 April 2013 - 04:14 PM, said:

The rule that we use says that your costume must fit in a six-inch zone that extends out from your body. So, unfortunately, you cannot have something that extends out a foot from your body.

Thank you for the quick reply. I understand. I thought I would make sure. If I do go ahead with it, I'll just make sure I stick within that range.

#45 User is offline   Aidensana 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 62954

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:44 AM

View PostValkyrie, on 21 March 2013 - 09:03 AM, said:

Yes, it will still need an orange tip on the end, and that would need to be visible when holstered.

Sorry, quick question on that.

I have a non-firing prop styled after an old percussion revolver. The end of the barrel is blaze orange, it can't be loaded and is non-functional, no worries about breaking rules.

However the holster completely obscures the barrel, and I'd hate to cut away at it to expose the barrel when holstered.

Is there anything I can do to avoid butchering it/finding a new holster?

Thanks

#46 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:46 AM

Sorry, but unless we can see the orange tip from the holster it won't be allowed.
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#47 User is offline   garefowl 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 17858

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:45 AM

Just to clarify (as well as be on the safe side), I would like to know if my trident prop is within the safe-range of what the convention requires for length. I, myself, am 5 feet tall while my trident stands at about 58 inches, or 4 feet and 8 inches. It is nearly a foot shorter than me--is this allowed or are all props supposed to be 4 feet tall? Again, I just want to be sure. Thank you for your time. :0:

This post has been edited by garefowl: 27 April 2013 - 09:46 AM

the manly dot
ANIME CENTRAL 2K14 COSPLAY
Taiga Aisaka (Toradora)
Satone Shichimiya (Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! Season 2)

#48 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:01 PM

Nope, that's fine - your trident can be up to your height. The only time props have to be 4' or less is when the congoer him/herself is 4' or less as well.

#49 User is offline   fooby 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:28 PM

View Postfooby, on 20 April 2013 - 08:06 PM, said:

I just want to check on a rule given it's wording.
Is the prop longer than the congoer's height when carried, if the congoer is at least 4 feet tall?

If the prop is shorter than the con-goer (5' 7", prop is 62" or 5' 2"), but for ease of transportation due to weight the prop will be put in a back mounted "sheath/holder". While in aforementioned holder the prop will be held between 6-10" off the ground, making the handle of the prop taller than the con-goer (much like a tennis racket put inside a backpack will put the butt of the racket 4-8" above the persons head).

Does the "when carried" include both cases, the prop being carried and held by the con-goer as well as inside the "sheath/holder", and if so would this mean the prop is in violation the rules?

Also 44" of the prop is made of 1/4" Acrylite sheet, do I need to attempt to bevel the edges as they are not "sharp" but they are strait square edges.

I guess the lack of a response means there are no issues with this (given the example of a tennis racket inside a packpack)?
Zeeky Boogy Doog!

#50 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:11 PM

Sorry about that. The same ruling as Manboy's applies: if you're carrying it in a sheath on your back, it can't reach beyond 6 inches from your body - over your head or otherwise. If it does, the only way to get around this and keep its desired length while unsheathed would be to make it collapsible. And no, there would be no need to bevel the edges.

#51 User is offline   fooby 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:26 PM

Ok, so only the 6" from the body applies, that should be no issue based on my last measurements, thanks for the reply.
Zeeky Boogy Doog!

#52 User is offline   iospace 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 63586

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:36 AM

I have a question regarding the sign policy. If you're carrying a sign that is part of your costume and you have something written on the back of it, would this violate the rules at all?

#53 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:21 AM

View Postiospace, on 30 April 2013 - 04:36 AM, said:

I have a question regarding the sign policy. If you're carrying a sign that is part of your costume and you have something written on the back of it, would this violate the rules at all?

Signs that are parts of costumes are allowed, so long as they do not have hate speech and are not solicitous in nature.

#54 User is offline   NightElf 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 63562

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:49 PM

Hello. Will you allow Cammy White Street Fighter costumes at the con? You can google images if you don't know what she looks like. Or Jade or Kitana costumes from Mortal Kombat? I have a couple of those planned. Also, my friend is going to be a darkelf and has a thong type backside, but it is covered with a cape/cloak. The front is covered with a hanging fabric. Similar to to the shape that Tarzan would have worn, but purple or black. He has a couple darkelf costumes. Just want to make sure we can cosplay these at the con. Can't wait. :0).

#55 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:04 PM

I don't know the dark elf cosplays, per se, but I do indeed know the ladies you're referencing. :) My recommendation would be to wear nylons underneath said thongs; that way the cosplays won't leave bare skin (and not too much to the imagination).

#56 User is offline   garefowl 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 17858

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:34 PM

I'm back again with another query.

Is fake food allowed? To be specific, I have two cotton candy props designed for a duet cosplay; they are made out of quilting polyfil, tapped to small dowel rods, and then simply spray-painted to look like cotton candy. I am halfway certain that "outside food" isn't allowed at the convention (or maybe I'm wrong) so I wanted to check and see if imitations such as these are allowed.
the manly dot
ANIME CENTRAL 2K14 COSPLAY
Taiga Aisaka (Toradora)
Satone Shichimiya (Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! Season 2)

#57 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:30 PM

Yes, that will be fine.

#58 User is offline   linlindesu 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 18292

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:26 PM

I'm guessing no but... Hammers? Like, actual "I got this at Menard's and painted it" Hammers. Are those alright or not really?
I have a Bookface I have a Bird Sound my snark level is over 9000 : ]
2014 Cosplay (mayhaps?)
Compa- hyperdimension nep nep
Heather- Silent hill 3
Poison Ivy- Batman

#59 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:03 AM

As long as you are being careful with them and not hitting someone with them or handling them dangerously, and they are not longer than you are tall, hammers are fine.

#60 User is offline   Kamen Rider Gumo 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 63025

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:27 PM

Okay - here is the 9mm pistol prop I've been working on for my cosplay, both holstered and unholstered; I don't think it violates any rules, but I want to be 100% sure before I bring it in.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also, if anyone reading this is familiar with Amtrak's rules and regulations, are they going to give me a hassle over this?
Why did I choose a Red Ribbon soldier for my cosplay? Because I'm a little short for a Stormtrooper.

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users