Anime Central Forums: The 2014 Prop Acceptability Checklist - Anime Central Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The 2014 Prop Acceptability Checklist Read me, please! I have good info for you!

#91 User is offline   Jos 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 64919

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:50 PM

Once I finish the costume i'll have to take measurements.. the thing is though, since the head will be placed on the helmet.. it might reach past 6 inches, but it will be held against my body and not dragged behind i guess i'm just confused about this one specific rule. my apologies =x

#92 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:56 AM

Whether it drags behind or is stationary, costume parts can only extend 6 inches from your body. For instance, if someone is wearing shoulder armor over a cape, that armor can only reach 6 inches away from the cosplayer's shoulder. So if your antlers reach longer than 6 inches, then they will have to be trimmed down.
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#93 User is offline   WatchJessieGo 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 63035

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:32 PM

I have another question regarding arrows and such. I know there are no loose arrows allowed, but what if I were to somehow attach them to the bottom of my quiver? Maybe with gorilla glue something so that I wouldn't be able to pull them out?

If not, does anybody have any ideas as to what I could do to make it look like I have arrows in my quiver for aesthetics' sake? An empty quiver is kind of silly. ^^"

EDIT: Nevermind, someone on coscom gave me a good idea. Want to make sure it's acceptable, though. Taking a circular piece of cardboard and putting it in my quiver, then hotgluing the upper tips of the arrows on top. Would that be okay?

Also, whatever ends up being acceptable, is there any way to show that the prop has been approved so I don't keep getting stopped by staffers thinking I have loose arrows in my quiver?

EDIT 2: Ooooorrr, what if I permanently glue all the arrows together into one big massive hunk that would just be too heavy to shoot?

This post has been edited by WatchJessieGo: 02 March 2014 - 01:07 PM

ACen 2015 cosplay:
Oktavia von Seckendorff (Puella Magi Madoka Magica) - 0% (planning stages)
Fem!Slenderman - 30%
Shirahoshi Hime (One Piece) - 50%

#94 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:18 AM

Okay, got the word back from my higher ups. Here are the only two things you need to be sure of for your arrows, bow, and quiver:

1) As long as none of the arrows come out, you can do as you please with the quiver.

2) You'll need to make sure your bow is unstrung or strung very loosely.

Hope that helps!
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#95 User is offline   XxNightrayLovexX 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 63359

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:53 PM

I've read the rules a billion times over, but even so want to clarify. I'm making Ryuuko Matoi's scissor blade. I have the blade outline measured at 5 feet. I'm 5'4. To clarify, is this acceptable, before I actually start tracing it onto wood?
"Although I’m weak and full of flaws, I will never stop moving forward. No matter who I am, no other than myself will create my own existence. No matter what others may think or feel, I will still move forward as myself.” - Oz Vessalius <3

~ACen 2013 Cosplay~
Kuroko Tetsuya (KnB)

~ACen 2014 Cosplay~
Friday: Ryuuko Matoi (Kill la Kill); Saturday: Kuroko Tetsuya (Kuroko no Basuke) and possibly Komaeda (Danganronpa); Sunday: Ryuuko Matoi

#96 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:18 PM

Yup, that's fine! :)

#97 User is offline   Jawahater 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 62984

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:23 PM

since airsoft is allowed back in the con i have a question regarding it, i plan on bringing my G&G Rifle with me (has a blazing orange tip and barrel cover) and is there a certain ruling about what accessories we can put on our rifles? i,e ACOG/Red dot sights, flashlight, grips ect
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Anime and Airsoft <3
Conqurer of the Sith Empire
Savior Of the Jedi Order
"It's called a hologram. This is called a trap. And I'm calling you dead."- Boba Fett

#98 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:05 PM

The only rules regarding airsofts are thus:

1) They must have an orange tip - which you've got covered~
2) They must be disabled and unable to fire - this can be done with a ziptie pulling and holding back the trigger
3) They must be unloaded and you may not carry ammo/magazines/cartridges on your person

Other than that, have fun! (Just make sure to be polite when using the lights, of course)

#99 User is offline   Iris 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 3989

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:20 AM

I've got a kind of strange request/question.

In the past I know there has been issues with people throwing confetti inside the buildings (obviously!). Would it be allowed (or more like am I going to get in trouble) if I brought some Eco-confetti for outdoor shoots/photoshoots only? Never to be used inside, and the stuff used outside dissolves on it's own in water come the next rain/sprinkler/whatever?

It's used in a weddings a lot (including places that don't allow traditional confetti or rice) and here is some info regarding it -
"4. How long does it take for ecoparti ecofetti to disintegrate?
Ecofetti is a unique starch-based material. When wet, it will begin to dissolve right away. Usually it will be completely dissolved within 48 hours, but the speed depends on water temperature and the volume of confetti. Traditional rice and special 'designed' rice take weeks to dissolve..."

#100 User is offline   XxNightrayLovexX 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 63359

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:05 AM

Another follow-up to my question: I decided to make the sword out of plastic. I'm going to sandpaper it down and wanted to know if the blade, despite being plastic, needs to be blunt?
"Although I’m weak and full of flaws, I will never stop moving forward. No matter who I am, no other than myself will create my own existence. No matter what others may think or feel, I will still move forward as myself.” - Oz Vessalius <3

~ACen 2013 Cosplay~
Kuroko Tetsuya (KnB)

~ACen 2014 Cosplay~
Friday: Ryuuko Matoi (Kill la Kill); Saturday: Kuroko Tetsuya (Kuroko no Basuke) and possibly Komaeda (Danganronpa); Sunday: Ryuuko Matoi

#101 User is offline   cactusmomma 

• Costume Events Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3528

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:41 PM

Re: Eco-confetti

I'm going to say please don't..for the sole fact that it's like glitter.. even if it dissolves.. it still catches on other people and spreads, colonizes, and re-houses itself indoors.

#102 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:26 PM

View PostXxNightrayLovexX, on 14 April 2014 - 11:05 AM, said:

Another follow-up to my question: I decided to make the sword out of plastic. I'm going to sandpaper it down and wanted to know if the blade, despite being plastic, needs to be blunt?

Because it's plastic, there's not as much of a concern. Our real concern lies in real, live-steel blades. Note, if you like, you can certainly make it somewhat blunted in case someone bumps into it. :)

#103 User is offline   Raete Hytan 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 65359

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:37 PM

Question about protrusions/spikes- are the type of spikes usually associated with punk clothing acceptable? I'm assuming since a lot of people have them on their non-costume clothing, that they are acceptable for costumes (as long as they're not the stabby, long kind)- but I just want to be sure- better safe than sorry.

#104 User is offline   Fimbulvinter 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 58831

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:06 PM

If I had a sword secured in a thick foam case but has a live steel hilt (with no poking edges or anything like that) is that allowed ?
!*~ACen 2014 Cosplays!~*!

Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Kyoko Sakura
Kyoukai no Kanata: Genderbend Mirai Kuriyama
Fire Emblem Awakening: Tharja
Vocaloid Synchronicity: Len Kagamine

#105 User is offline   Jawahater 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 62984

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:45 AM

View PostFimbulvinter, on 20 April 2014 - 09:06 PM, said:

If I had a sword secured in a thick foam case but has a live steel hilt (with no poking edges or anything like that) is that allowed ?

I would post a picture so that the staff would give you a better opinion on it
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Anime and Airsoft <3
Conqurer of the Sith Empire
Savior Of the Jedi Order
"It's called a hologram. This is called a trap. And I'm calling you dead."- Boba Fett

#106 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2014 - 05:08 PM

Sorry about the delayed responses, folks. Been pretty busy on the Life Front.

View PostRaete Hytan, on 20 April 2014 - 08:37 PM, said:

Question about protrusions/spikes- are the type of spikes usually associated with punk clothing acceptable? I'm assuming since a lot of people have them on their non-costume clothing, that they are acceptable for costumes (as long as they're not the stabby, long kind)- but I just want to be sure- better safe than sorry.

I'm guessing you're talking about the stuff one might find at Hot Topic or Spencers and the like? Yes, those are fine. :)/>

View PostFimbulvinter, on 20 April 2014 - 09:06 PM, said:

View PostJawahater, on 23 April 2014 - 07:45 AM, said:

I would post a picture so that the staff would give you a better opinion on it

Okay, so...this one is a little tricky. Live steel, by ACen standards, is an an object crafted from metal that has a pointed or blade-like edge, whether blunt or sharp. That said, it'd be kinda hard to have a sword with a live steel hilt, as that might be a little difficult to, er, handle. However, if the hilt and/or sword (whether it's in a case or not) is in fact live steel by our definitions, then it will not be allowed as a prop. It will have to stay at home, in your room, or your car. But if the hilt and sword are not actually live steel, then it is okay to bring as a prop.

#107 User is offline   YoiYumeo 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 64320

Posted 27 April 2014 - 10:05 PM

I'm also making a scythe this year and am in the process of trying to figure out what do with the blade to make it con acceptable. The blade itself is close to four feet in length made out of styrofoam with the rod going to be cut down, hopefully to just under my height so when fully made, it will be at my height. I was just wondering if I can't make it like this, is there a chance I could just bring it to the Vampire Knight photoshoot and then back to my room? I apologize for the stupid question, I have never brought a prop to a convention before and have seen people with ones bigger than themselves before.
ACen 2014 Lineup
Haruka Nanami - Uta no Prince-sama ~ 100% Done
Sei - DRAMAtical Murder ~ 40% Done {Shirt in Progress, Hat in Progress, Half Skirt, Belts, + Shoes, not touched}
Yuuki Cross - Vampire Knight ~ 80% Done {Costume+Shoes Bought, Wig mostly styled, Artemis Scythe In Progress}

Back Up
Madoka - Puella Magi Madoka Magica ~ 90% done {Some stains on skirt and socks must get out and shrink the top}

#108 User is offline   ShingekiNoFandoms 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 64955

Posted 02 May 2014 - 04:04 PM

Okay, so I feel like a question similar to this was answered, but I'll ask anyways because the thought of breaking any rules with a prop has been bugging me. I'm cosplaying a character who is blind, and planned to take the blind cane with as part of my cosplay, even though it isn't absolutely necessary. It doesn't exceed my height, but it might reach close to/past the six inch limit (The rules I'm reading on the ACen page says six inches, has that changed?) if I extended it a bit to walk as a blind person would. (Is it even okay to do that? I don't want to offend or mislead people to actually think I'm blind!)

Sorry, I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to these things, and I worry a lot about unintentionally breaking rules!

Edit: The cane is collapsable and could be carried as a prop rather than used for its intended purpose if needed.

This post has been edited by ShingekiNoFandoms: 02 May 2014 - 04:08 PM

Cosplay for ACen 2014:
Friday- Hanji Zoe (AoT/SnK), Saturday- Terezi Pyrope (Homestuck), Sunday- Horsehead!Jean Kirschtein (SnK/AoT)
Cosplay from ACen 2013:
Seborga (Hetalia), Chibitalia (with cats ears half the time :3) (Hetalia)
Other cons: Anime World Chicago/AWC 2012- (the one n00b cosplay everyone makes at one point and prefers not to mention)

#109 User is offline   Nightmare47 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 61695

Posted 06 May 2014 - 12:33 PM

Hi all. I have a question regarding helmets. I've done a cosplay of Soul Calibur 2 Nightmare for a couple years now, and while I don't think there have been any issues, I wanted to make sure this year so there's no risk of unpleasantness.

On the helmet, there are two upward turned narrow bat wing like "ears". I'm not sure off hand (on lunch break at work) if they extend more than six inches or not. Usually I just carry the helmet with me instead of wearing it unless someone wants a picture/posing for photos (would rather avoid heatstroke).

My question is, if they're over six inches, will I have to trim/replace them, or since I carry it mostly instead of wear it, does that make it a prop instead?

Or are these simply rules for props and I'm just stressing out over nothing?

Thanks!

This post has been edited by Nightmare47: 06 May 2014 - 03:25 PM

#110 User is offline   Level-5 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 62879

Posted 17 May 2014 - 11:03 PM

Question:

I'm cosplaying as Okita and I wanted to know if this prop was ok. I'm going to make a bazooka using something similar to this video:

http://www.citizen.t...AVGkGfi6e6.html

If that's not acceptable what do I need to add to make it ok?

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users