Anime Central Forums: The 2014 Prop Acceptability Checklist - Anime Central Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The 2014 Prop Acceptability Checklist Read me, please! I have good info for you!

#1 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 591

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:38 AM

Hello, forumites! We have had some changes in the prop rules recently, so I'm starting a new topic for this. Just like in past years, this is the exact same checklist that we give our ops to judge your props, and it's an easy way to double-check if your prop fits within the rules of Anime Central. However, this year, pay special attention to the new gun prop rules.

As always, if you have any questions about props, post them in the forums; do not PM me (or anyone else) personally. That way, everyone can see and benefit from the answer.

The Prop Acceptability Checklist
If you can answer yes to any of the following questions, the prop is not allowed.
  • Is the prop longer than the congoer's height when carried, if the congoer is at least 4 feet tall?
  • Is the prop longer than 4 feet when carried, if the congoer is less than 4 feet tall?
  • Is the prop made of live steel?
  • Is the prop a real firearm?
  • If the prop is a gun-like prop, does it lack an orange tip?
  • If the prop is an gun-like prop, is it not disabled and unloaded?
  • Are there projectiles loaded or nocked into the prop or easily accessible on the prop's carrier?
  • If the prop is a water gun, is there water in the reservoir?
  • If the prop is a bow or other stringed weapon, is it tightly strung?
  • Are there any loose arrows or bolts with the costume or prop?
  • If the prop is a sword-like prop, is it being carried in a dangerous manner?

The Costume Acceptability Checklist
If you can answer yes to any of the following questions, the costume is not allowed.
  • Does the costume have dangerous protrusions?
  • Does the costume break the 6-inch zone?
  • Does the costume severely obstruct mobility or line-of-sight for the wearer?
  • Does the costume violate local decency laws?
  • Does the costume have offensive speech in any language on it?
  • Is the congoer wearing or holding a sign that is not part of the costume?

---

The big thing to note is that gun-like props are no longer required to not be realistic. We only require three things of a gun-like prop:
  • It must have an orange tip.
  • It must be disabled.
  • It must be unloaded.

Well, there you go. Of course, the rules will be in the program book and on the website, but this is the list of things IRT will be checking against. We apologize for the late rules change, but it took a little bit to put it together, so I hope you guys will be happy with the loosening of the rules!
Eli "Rabbi" Morris-Heft: IRT Assistant Department Head
SecDiv Dispatch 2004, IRT Communications ADH 2005-06, IRT Dispatch Supervisor 2007-2010, IRT Dispatch Commander 2011, IRT ADH 2012-, IT Senior Sysadmin 2007-2011, ACen Clergy, 2004-

"Two-three the count with nobody on / He hit a high fly into the stands / Roundin' third, he was headed for home / It was a brown-eyed handsome man (that won the game) / It was a brown-eyed handsome man." (Brown-Eyed Handsome Man by Chuck Berry)

I <3 People Who <3 IRT!Want to help make IRT even better? Apply next year!

#2 User is offline   Kamen Rider Gumo 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 63025

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

So, if I read this correctly, the old rules about not having battery-operated sounds, etc. in a gun prop have been lifted?

This post has been edited by Kamen Rider Gumo: 14 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

Why did I choose a Red Ribbon soldier for my cosplay? Because I'm a little short for a Stormtrooper.

#3 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:19 PM

I... actually don't recall us having a firm ruling about sounds, but if I'm misremembering it or if it was a judgement by someone here, then: yes, that rule is lifted.

That said, please please please don't be the one to make us have to have a rule about sounds...
SecDiv Dispatch 2004, IRT Communications ADH 2005-06, IRT Dispatch Supervisor 2007-2010, IRT Dispatch Commander 2011, IRT ADH 2012-, IT Senior Sysadmin 2007-2011, ACen Clergy, 2004-

"Two-three the count with nobody on / He hit a high fly into the stands / Roundin' third, he was headed for home / It was a brown-eyed handsome man (that won the game) / It was a brown-eyed handsome man." (Brown-Eyed Handsome Man by Chuck Berry)

#4 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 53583

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

Question I was actually meaning to ask has just been answered in part- as I dont have to worry about it looking to realistic. Yay! However- What if my gun doesnt have a "tip" per say- could I do something similar to this http://cecylicious.d...hemia-162513072 or should i paint a wide line across the top of the width barrel that way I wouldnt have to paint the whole end orange?
I love my ACen family! Whether or not I return next year- please know I love you all! Until we meet again!

"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

#5 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

Sorry, but once we get into variations, things start being subjective, and we'd like to keep them as objective as possible. That gun looks somewhat like a P-90, though, and P-90s do have tips, just small ones.

#6 User is offline   KungPowKirby 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 53583

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

Ok - well i guess I can add a small round tip to paint orange. I was planning on doing it out of foamboard and just having the end flat but whatever. lol
I love my ACen family! Whether or not I return next year- please know I love you all! Until we meet again!

"If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership."- Queen Amidala; Star Wars: Phantom Menace

#7 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: ACen Staff
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

I do have a question for you, Rabbi! (Since I'm getting the same one at home.)

As far as machine gun props (such as M-16s), is it okay to have magazines attached for photos, then take them off directly afterwards? Or should they remain off altogether?
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#8 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

I think we can allow magazines for photos only. But they must be empty.

#9 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

Alrighty then! Thankee-sai!
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#10 User is offline   Alcatraz 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 62809

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:26 PM

I take it that this means yes to my questions in the The 2011 Costume & Prop Checklist topic? I just want be really sure before i decide to paint my props. Valkyrie knows which one's im talking about. (hopefully)

#11 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:06 AM

Since those guns can't fire anything (thus disabled) and will remain unloaded, as long as they still have orange tips once the paint job is done, they'll be fine.

#12 User is offline   Alcatraz 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 62809

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:02 AM

Ok. Thanks! :D

#13 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:09 AM

This is good info, as always. It may not be necessary, but I believe this thread is sticky worthy.

#14 User is offline   Sir Gibby 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 26318

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

Does this mean airsofts are back in?
My life is watching anime, playing video games, and eating Taco Bell with reckless abandonment with my lady!

My cosplays: Raccoon City Police Officer, S.T.A.R.S. officer, Chris Redfield, Dr. Ray Stantz, 10th Doctor, 11th Doctor

Check out My Amazon Kindle Stories, My Writing Blog, and my comic book series

#15 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:53 PM

Yes. All we require is that they follow the Three Rules In Blue. :)

#16 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:06 PM

As long as they follow the stated guidelines, yes, they are.

#17 User is offline   Kamen Rider Gumo 

• Pip

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:34 PM

Okay; this is something I bought at Tsubasacon from their dealer's room for a different cosplay, but it may be an option for what I'm working on depending on what else I can buy/scrounge up/cobble together. It is a non-firing blunderbuss pistol replica made of wood and pewter with an "antiqued" finish.

http://www.mysteriou...a-22-1031-G.jpg

What, if anything, would need to be done to this to make it acceptable? If an orange tip is all that's needed, I could probably do something like paint a poker chip orange and stick it over the barrel.
Why did I choose a Red Ribbon soldier for my cosplay? Because I'm a little short for a Stormtrooper.

#18 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:22 PM

That would be fine. The chip would have to be firmly secured onto the barrel, so it remains visible and can't just pop off. (You might also want to tie back the trigger just to be safe.)

#19 User is offline   waltzofthemoon 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 16165

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:13 PM

I have a question regarding live steel. My boyfriend is cosplaying Captain America, would he be able to carry a metal shield?
2014 Cosplay
Koala [ONE PIECE]
Mom [HOMESTUCK]
Irene Adler [SHERLOCK]

#20 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:26 PM

I'm double-checking on that right now for you, but I'm also curious: will he have the old-school shield, or the circular version?

#21 User is offline   waltzofthemoon 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:28 PM

It would be the newer round shield, we're doing a full group from The Avengers movie-verse.
2014 Cosplay
Koala [ONE PIECE]
Mom [HOMESTUCK]
Irene Adler [SHERLOCK]

#22 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:19 AM

View Postwaltzofthemoon, on 16 March 2013 - 06:28 PM, said:

It would be the newer round shield, we're doing a full group from The Avengers movie-verse.

As long as there are no edges anywhere (and no points, but there shouldn't be, because it's round), you'll be fine. This includes, e.g., if you were going to do a raised star, you shouldn't, because sharp points.

#23 User is offline   waltzofthemoon 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:23 AM

View PostTheRabbi, on 17 March 2013 - 10:19 AM, said:

As long as there are no edges anywhere (and no points, but there shouldn't be, because it's round), you'll be fine. This includes, e.g., if you were going to do a raised star, you shouldn't, because sharp points.

Good to know, thank you!
2014 Cosplay
Koala [ONE PIECE]
Mom [HOMESTUCK]
Irene Adler [SHERLOCK]

#24 User is offline   Amikyo 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 63057

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:02 AM

This is probably a pointless question, but I need to ask anyways. Last year you could have foam-tipped arrows loose on your costume. Is this no longer the case? All arrows need to be fastened/secured in some way?

Also, are large props (taller/extending out further than alloted) still acceptable if they can be broken down and carried inside the six inches allotted? I am assuming they are, but I don't want to put hours of time into my prop just to find out I can't actually use it. Specifically, I am looking at makeing a large scythe.

The entire thing, when assembled, would be just over my height (six feet) and the blade, which would be wood or plastic, would extend quite a bit further than six inches out. The head/blade segment would be able to be unscrewed from the staff for transport, and I would construct a sling to carry it on my back, flat against my body. The staff then would be under the height requirements and the entire thing would basically not extend at all.

Sorry for the repetitive questions! I just want to be safe and avoid a hassle at the con itself (which I'm sure would be a pain for IRT as well as me!)

#25 User is offline   Kamen Rider Gumo 

• Pip

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:24 AM

Okay, in terms of non-weapon props, would something like, say, a tobacco pipe be allowed? I don't smoke, but my Dad used to and I think he still has the old pipe somewhere, and since I'm cosplaying a Red Ribbon general I got the notion to use the pipe as part of my costume after seeing some old photos of General George S. Patton smoking a pipe during World War II, but I've not seen any rules that say I can or can't use it. I know there are anti-smoking rules in general, but would the use of a real pipe be an infraction?

#26 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:15 AM

View PostAmikyo, on 21 March 2013 - 12:02 AM, said:

This is probably a pointless question, but I need to ask anyways. Last year you could have foam-tipped arrows loose on your costume. Is this no longer the case? All arrows need to be fastened/secured in some way?

Also, are large props (taller/extending out further than alloted) still acceptable if they can be broken down and carried inside the six inches allotted? I am assuming they are, but I don't want to put hours of time into my prop just to find out I can't actually use it. Specifically, I am looking at makeing a large scythe.

The entire thing, when assembled, would be just over my height (six feet) and the blade, which would be wood or plastic, would extend quite a bit further than six inches out. The head/blade segment would be able to be unscrewed from the staff for transport, and I would construct a sling to carry it on my back, flat against my body. The staff then would be under the height requirements and the entire thing would basically not extend at all.

Sorry for the repetitive questions! I just want to be safe and avoid a hassle at the con itself (which I'm sure would be a pain for IRT as well as me!)

Our rules about having arrows with your costume haven't changed from last year. We don't need them to be bound flat to your costume, but we would like them in a quiver or something like that.

Your plan for your scythe seems to be perfectly fine.

View PostKamen Rider Gumo, on 21 March 2013 - 02:24 AM, said:

Okay, in terms of non-weapon props, would something like, say, a tobacco pipe be allowed? I don't smoke, but my Dad used to and I think he still has the old pipe somewhere, and since I'm cosplaying a Red Ribbon general I got the notion to use the pipe as part of my costume after seeing some old photos of General George S. Patton smoking a pipe during World War II, but I've not seen any rules that say I can or can't use it. I know there are anti-smoking rules in general, but would the use of a real pipe be an infraction?

As long as you aren't smoking the pipe indoors, we have no issues with you carrying a pipe.

#27 User is offline   Sayuri-chan 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3228

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:59 AM

With something like this: (scroll down to the bottom to see a full picture of the finished product)
http://www.teamblase...orial-persona-3

Would I still need to orange tip the end? Or would it be okay if I just had it holstered on my costume and only pulled it out for photos? Just wanting to know so I know what to let my commissioner know. (That's a mouthful. x.x)
♥ ACen REG STAFF: 2005-2008 ♥
♥ Persona owns my soul. Proud to be a member of the UYFA! Proud Supporter of the I.R.T.!
"The Chumps" are back to entertain and amuse. Come join us Friday, in Panel Room 4 from 12:30-2:45pm, and Saturday/Sunday in Panel Room 12, from 12:45-3:15a.
Cosplay for 2014 ACen:|Skull Kid--LOZ: Majora's Mask/0% complete|||Genkai-Yuu Yuu Hakusho/100% complete|||Sir Integra Fairbrook Wingates Hellsing-Hellsing Ultimate Abridged Ver./75% complete
Current quote: "Costumes, I need to do that still...Costumes, I need to do that still...Costumes, I need to do that still..."
Current blurb: はい、少し日本語を話します。たのしすぎる! ♪♫♪♫音楽が大好き!♪♫♪♫

#28 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• IRT Dispatch
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:03 AM

Yes, it will still need an orange tip on the end, and that would need to be visible when holstered.

#29 User is offline   Sayuri-chan 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 3228

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:30 AM

An additional question; would I be able to make some sort of cover for the end that's orange? I kind of hate to ruin the color of the evoker by painting orange on the end, so if I could have something that slips over the end of the prop instead, is that acceptable? (I'm imagining something like a cap that covers the barrel part that is protruding from the main portion of the evoker; I could remove it for photos, but otherwise keep it contained and marked clearly as a "prop". There are no working mechanisms on this prop - it's just layers of foam board. Does this make sense? I do apologize for rather noob questions; this is the first year that I'm actually going to have made props for a costume so I want to make sure that it's all okay.
♥ ACen REG STAFF: 2005-2008 ♥
♥ Persona owns my soul. Proud to be a member of the UYFA! Proud Supporter of the I.R.T.!
"The Chumps" are back to entertain and amuse. Come join us Friday, in Panel Room 4 from 12:30-2:45pm, and Saturday/Sunday in Panel Room 12, from 12:45-3:15a.
Cosplay for 2014 ACen:|Skull Kid--LOZ: Majora's Mask/0% complete|||Genkai-Yuu Yuu Hakusho/100% complete|||Sir Integra Fairbrook Wingates Hellsing-Hellsing Ultimate Abridged Ver./75% complete
Current quote: "Costumes, I need to do that still...Costumes, I need to do that still...Costumes, I need to do that still..."
Current blurb: はい、少し日本語を話します。たのしすぎる! ♪♫♪♫音楽が大好き!♪♫♪♫

#30 User is offline   TheRabbi 

• IRT ADH
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:18 AM

View PostSayuri-chan, on 21 March 2013 - 09:30 AM, said:

An additional question; would I be able to make some sort of cover for the end that's orange? I kind of hate to ruin the color of the evoker by painting orange on the end, so if I could have something that slips over the end of the prop instead, is that acceptable? (I'm imagining something like a cap that covers the barrel part that is protruding from the main portion of the evoker; I could remove it for photos, but otherwise keep it contained and marked clearly as a "prop". There are no working mechanisms on this prop - it's just layers of foam board. Does this make sense? I do apologize for rather noob questions; this is the first year that I'm actually going to have made props for a costume so I want to make sure that it's all okay.

Noob questions are the reason for this thread! We'd rather have you ask us than guess and have us have to deprive you of your prop at the con.

That cap seems to be a fine idea to me.

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users