Anime Central Forums: ACen 2013 submissions for our AMV contest - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

ACen 2013 submissions for our AMV contest How to submit, and the deadline!

#1 User is offline   Rasclin 

• Video Programming ADH
  • Pip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 63085

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:17 PM

ACen 2013 Anime Music Video Contest Rules

Basic Entry Requirements:
[] Entries sent to previous Anime Central competitions are not eligible.

[] Mail entries will be accepted starting February 18th, 2013.

[] All entries must be in the hands of the contest coordinators by April 21st, 2013.

[] Contest Categories available: Action, Comedy, Drama and Freestyle.

[] There are no Hentai or Epic AMV contests this year.

[] Entries may not contain bumpers, title screens, or credits. ACen staff will add uniform credits to all entries. Under some circumstances creator generated credits will be allowed if they are built into the video, a required part of it, and cannot be removed. This creative use of entrant embedded credits will be judged at our discretion.

[] 50% of the video must contain anime footage.

[] Entries may be disqualified for the following reasons:

[o] Objectionable content of video or lyrics.

[o] Bad audio or video quality.

[o] Failure to adhere to the contest rules.

Objectionable content includes excessive profanity, excessive violence, or sexually explicit footage or lyrics. If you are not sure if the above rule means your entry will be disqualified e-mail amv-departmenthead@ACen.org and we can view the content in question and make a decision.

[] By submitting your video to this contest you authorize Anime Central staff to screen and distribute it under the Anime Central Music Video Contest title. Any physical media that entries are submitted on becomes the property of Anime Central and will not be returned.

[] There is a limit of one entry per category per creator.

[] Entrants must supply a working e-mail address with each submission. If you do not supply an e-mail address you will be disqualified.

[] All entries should supply a mailing address.

[] Anime Central staff reserves the right to disqualify entries for any reason they see necessary to protect the overall quality and integrity of the program.

[] Information about this years AMV contest, AMV programming, and other related topics can be found and discussed on our forum, Facebook page and website. If your questions do not specifically involve your own videos content please direct all questions to the forum first. This same question may be shared by multiple people and may have already been answered. (Find our Facebook page at https://www.facebook...eCentral?ref=hl)

File Format Requirements:
[] Entries will only be accepted as MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 computer files.

[] Mail entries will be accepted on the following media: CD-R, DVD-R, DVD+R, and PC formatted USB flash drives. Media must be labeled in some manner to identify the owner and its contents. Do not send discs burned on re-writeable (-RW +RW) media. Use IS9660 or UDF file system for optical media. Use NTFS or FAT for USB flash drives. We do not recommend mailing USB flash drives. This is a new courtesy service we are offering this year as a last resort for those who cannot send optical media.

[] Do not send authored DVD Video discs or your entry will be disqualified. Please recognize that we simply cannot switch between DVD entries and MPEG-2/4 midway through entries.

[] Your file name should contain its genre (for contest purposes) your name and the title of your video, in that order. Studio names, if used, must be placed in brackets between your name and the title. You must follow this format. (Example: GENRE - Artist - [Artist Studio] - Title.file extension)

[] All entries must have 1 second of black before the video starts and after it ends.

[] Files must conform to the technical specifications outlined below. Please read the technical requirements carefully. If frame sizes, frame rates, and audio sampling frequencies do not match the requirements you will be disqualified. Anime Central staff will not convert entries for you nor give technical support in meeting these format requirements.

[] MPEG-2 file format requirements:

[-] 720x480 Frame Size
[-] Progressive Video Only
[-] 23.976 or 29.97 Frames per Second
[-] 48 kHz MP2 Stereo Audio. We recommend 320 kbps.
[-] Set Display Aspect Ratio to 4:3 for normal video or letterbox widescreen
[-] Set Display Aspect Ratio to 16:9 for anamorphic widescreen
[-] Total file bitrate cannot exceed 15 Mbps

[] MPEG-4 file format requirements
[-] Progressive Video Only
[-] 640 x 480, 848 x 480, 1280x720 Frame Size
[-] 23.976 or 29.97 Frames per Second
[-] H.264 video compression
[-] 48 kHz AAC Stereo Audio. We recommend LC-AAC at 160 kbps instead of HE-AAC.
[-] Display Aspect Ratio 1:1 (Remember you are submitting in square pixels).

[] We recommend you check compatibility against the ffdshow decoder before submitting. MPEG-4 is a file format but also refers to compatible codecs such as Divx and Xvid. We are only accepting H.264 MPEG-4 files. This means an mp4 file created by a program such as Nero, Quicktime, or mp4box using H.264 compression. We do not accept avi, mov, or mkv files. If you are not fully versed in MPEG-4 part10 format we request that you file in the MPEG-2 standard.

Entry Submission Instructions:

[] Mail & Online Entries:
E-mail your information to amv-departmenthead@ACen.org, even if you have included the information with a physical entry.

[] Online Entries & FTP:
You must be familiar and have access to a FTP program to use this submission method. Anime Central staff cannot provide teaching experience for FTP software. If you are unfamiliar with how to use FTP software you must send your entry via mail.

[] Mail Entries:
Package your media carefully in appropriate mailers. Optical media in standard jewel cases can easily break off a hub during shipping.

[] Mail Entries should be sent to:

Andrew Cardinal
ATTN: ACen 2013
209 Hessel Boulevard
Champaign IL, 61820

[] Final Step: Perform quality control on your entries and read the FAQ post on our forum before mailing or uploading your entries.

This post has been edited by Rasclin: 17 February 2013 - 11:53 PM

#2 User is offline   Rasclin 

• Video Programming ADH
  • Pip

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

Rules updated! Website to come soon!

#3 User is offline   masterblaster 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 18442

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:44 AM

What is "freestyle"?

#4 User is offline   HavocTenrec 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 62097

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:22 AM

So by language, we can't use lyrics that say F***? I've got a great song that uses it once... I need to know if that would get it disqualified.

Edit: Can someone please answer soon so I can send this thing in? :/ I emailed questions to the main site too, and those haven't even been answered in a month.

This post has been edited by HavocTenrec: 19 March 2013 - 01:40 AM

#5 User is offline   PansyChubb 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 60255

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:47 AM

View PostHavocTenrec, on 12 March 2013 - 01:22 AM, said:

So by language, we can't use lyrics that say F***? I've got a great song that uses it once... I need to know if that would get it disqualified.

Edit: Can someone please answer soon so I can send this thing in? :/ I emailed questions to the main site too, and those haven't even been answered in a month.

Have you tried contacting them through their Facebook page? It's here: https://www.facebook...sAtAnimeCentral

Not sure if that will work, but it's worth a shot. Anyway, if the song only uses the f-bomb once, I say better safe than sorry - either find the clean radio edit of the song, or simply bleep/mute that part as well as you can. :)

Good luck!
-Pansy

This post has been edited by PansyChubb: 22 March 2013 - 08:47 AM

#6 User is offline   HavocTenrec 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 62097

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:20 PM

Thanks for the link!

#7 User is offline   masterblaster 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:41 PM

View PostRasclin, on 18 February 2013 - 03:51 PM, said:

Website to come soon!

Is it still coming?

Deadline for final submissions is in less than a month.

#8 User is offline   Rasclin 

• Video Programming ADH
  • Pip

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:04 PM

View Postmasterblaster, on 24 March 2013 - 10:41 PM, said:

Is it still coming?

Deadline for final submissions is in less than a month.

Apologies for not answering sooner. The website is having some issues on the server end.

That said, the main way to submit has always been to contact amv-departmenthead@ACen.org, even if you send a physical entry. The website was intended to allow for a method of submission that might be more available to some contestants. It would have been a first for this year, but we experienced host issues very quickly after the first launch. If we can resolve the issues, then we hope to have uploading available on that page.

In the meantime, to submit your entry, please contact amv-departmenthead@ACen.org and arrange to transfer via an FTP program, such as Dropbox or Freezilla.

Again, no profanity. The AMV room has no age restriction. If a song you use has profanity, we would ask that you edit that out in some fashion.

#9 User is offline   Rasclin 

• Video Programming ADH
  • Pip

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:11 PM

In regards to Freestyle: if you don't believe it can fit into one of the other categories, submit it as Freestyle. It is, in effect, our catch-all-other category.

#10 User is offline   Brandonb 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 63369

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:42 PM

I've got a clip with about 6-7 seconds of the very beginning of the intro for Kaichou wa Maid-Sama in one of the AMVs I might use. That particular title clip is in all-Japanese (no "Roman"/Latin characters, either), so would that count against me and need to be cut or...? Do you mean any title screen or just 'distracting' ones?

#11 User is offline   Rasclin 

• Video Programming ADH
  • Pip

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:30 AM

Brandonb: I'd have to say that would disqualify it in this case. A good deal of the judging staff will know Japanese, and find that just as distracting as English or Romanized-Japanese.

#12 User is offline   Brandonb 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:53 PM

I was j/w: How come you guys only allow FTP for online entries?

This post has been edited by Brandonb: 14 April 2013 - 09:12 PM

#13 User is offline   PansyChubb 

• Pip

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:01 AM

Question: Must one be an attendee in order to compete?

I've created a couple AMVs I would like to enter into the contest, but my plans for actually attending ACen this year seem to be falling apart. :(

#14 User is offline   Rasclin 

• Video Programming ADH
  • Pip

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:59 PM

View PostBrandonb, on 13 April 2013 - 11:53 PM, said:

I was j/w: How come you guys only allow FTP for online entries?

View PostPansyChubb, on 15 April 2013 - 11:01 AM, said:

Question: Must one be an attendee in order to compete?

I've created a couple AMVs I would like to enter into the contest, but my plans for actually attending ACen this year seem to be falling apart. :(/>/>/>

Brandonb: We do this mostly as the file sizes are too large to transfer via e-mail. Certain chat clients might allow for the same transfers, but like an FTP, this has to be worked out ahead of time, since both parties must be online simultaneously.

PansyChubb: If you include your full address and contact information, you can still participate.

Andrew Cardinal
ADH in Video Programming

This post has been edited by Rasclin: 15 April 2013 - 04:01 PM

#15 User is offline   PansyChubb 

• Pip

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:05 PM

View PostRasclin, on 15 April 2013 - 03:59 PM, said:

PansyChubb: If you include your full address and contact information, you can still participate.

Thank you!

#16 User is offline   Brandonb 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:19 PM

Exactly how long does it usually take to respond to emails regarding the AMV contest?? I sent one about my entry for the contest to schedule an FTP transfer/upload Sunday afternoon, but I still have yet to get a response. I just hope the reply didn't accidentally go in my Spam folder. <_</> What would be the usual or generic subject header and email "name" in a response email from the "AMV head" running that account? So I know what specifically to look out for

This post has been edited by Brandonb: 16 April 2013 - 05:20 PM

#17 User is offline   Rasclin 

• Video Programming ADH
  • Pip

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:03 PM

View PostBrandonb, on 16 April 2013 - 05:19 PM, said:

Exactly how long does it usually take to respond to emails regarding the AMV contest?? I sent one about my entry for the contest to schedule an FTP transfer/upload Sunday afternoon, but I still have yet to get a response. I just hope the reply didn't accidentally go in my Spam folder. <_</>/> What would be the usual or generic subject header and email "name" in a response email from the "AMV head" running that account? So I know what specifically to look out for

Apologies for the wait, but I believe that message was responded to.

#18 User is offline   xcede 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 63530

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:17 PM

Nevermind, the video got reviewed and confirmed, thanks for the quick email reply! (No idea how to delete post xD)

This post has been edited by xcede: 21 April 2013 - 03:40 PM

#19 User is offline   PrinceAsh 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 25123

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:10 AM

When and where is the contest taking place?
Yay, ACen!

#20 User is offline   Rasclin 

• Video Programming ADH
  • Pip

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:50 PM

View PostPrinceAsh, on 13 May 2013 - 12:10 AM, said:

When and where is the contest taking place?

All entries will be shown at various time at the AMV room. The official announcement will occur during closing ceremonies.

Andrew Cardinal
ADH in Video Programming

#21 User is offline   masterblaster 

• Lurker
  • Pip

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:40 AM

Looking forward to the contest.

This post has been edited by masterblaster: 16 May 2013 - 03:15 AM

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic