• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Cell Reception

#1 User is offline   SamusFairchild 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 61245

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

So, internet access in the hall sucks. There's just no way around that.

We're looking into getting a prepaid 3 or 4G mobile hotspot, and there are oh-so-many carriers out there. I've only had experience with ATT in the hall at a trade show I was in around September, but we were in a different hall than the one they use for ACen, so I don't know if the experience is a good sample.

So, can you guys tell me anything about your smartphone/tablet/whatever interwebs device experience? How is reception at your table and what carrier did you have?

Thanks guys!
---
"Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony. " Heraclitus
"Medicine to produce health must examine disease; and music, to create harmony must investigate discord. " Plutarch
"Anyway, this cake is great. Its so delicious and moist." -GlaDOS

#2 User is offline   Purplegodess 

• MAPS Director & Art and Publications Manager
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 5803

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

Im fine with ATT and I've been in all the halls of the show. Im also fine with my clear spot

Art and Publications Manager
Convention Officer:Secretary 2008-2014
M.A.P.S. Director
Artist Alley DH 2007-2008

Live like there is no tomorrow, and dream like you'll live forever...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#3 User is offline   obakasan 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 2555

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

I did okay with my NetZero hotspot last year, but who knows... We are in a different part of the convention center this year so things could be different.
This space intentionally left blank.

#4 User is offline   SamusFairchild 

• Pip

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:40 PM

View Postobakasan, on 15 February 2013 - 12:58 PM, said:

I did okay with my NetZero hotspot last year, but who knows... We are in a different part of the convention center this year so things could be different.

I had no idea that NetZero was still a thing, much less that the branched out into wireless and whatnot.
I'll have to look into that. Thanks! :D
---
"Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony. " Heraclitus
"Medicine to produce health must examine disease; and music, to create harmony must investigate discord. " Plutarch

#5 User is offline   myrla 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 60134

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:31 AM

I had a 3G Verizon normal smartphone and I was never without coverage. Anywhere.
ACen 2013: Panel denied. Not attending.

ACen 2012 Cosplay: Doctor Who: Tooth and Claw Rose (Friday) | Firefly: Inara (Saturday) | Lolita (Sunday)
Panelist: Final Fantasy MMORPG

ACen 2011 Cosplay:
Tooth and Claw Rose (Doctor Who) | Miwako (Paradise Kiss) | Luna Lovegood (Harry Potter)
Panelist: Final Fantasy MMORPG

#6 User is offline   Sapphy 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11260

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:53 AM

I'm with Verizon, and my cellphone had 4G coverage the entire time I was at my table last year. I'm counting on it being the same this year as I'm going to be accepting cards via my Square reader. :D
Visit Happy Hatpire Designs on Etsy: http://hatpire.etsy.com
Use code NEWYEARS by January 10 to get 15% off! Min $15 order for discount~
Tumblr: http://hatpire.tumblr.com

#7 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

View PostSapphy, on 19 February 2013 - 09:53 AM, said:

I'm with Verizon, and my cellphone had 4G coverage the entire time I was at my table last year. I'm counting on it being the same this year as I'm going to be accepting cards via my Square reader. Posted Image

Good to hear this! I'm with Verizon now, and I want to upgrade to the Sumsung Galaxy S3 so I can use the PayPal card reader to accept CCs. I have the HTC Thunderbolt right now and for some dumb reason it's not fully supported w/PayPal.
Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#8 User is offline   SamusFairchild 

• Pip

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

View PostSapphy, on 19 February 2013 - 09:53 AM, said:

I'm with Verizon, and my cellphone had 4G coverage the entire time I was at my table last year. I'm counting on it being the same this year as I'm going to be accepting cards via my Square reader. :D/>

You may want to look into paypal. Their rates are a bit lower, depending on the size of transactions you're doing.

View PostJujuFox, on 19 February 2013 - 04:00 PM, said:

Good to hear this! I'm with Verizon now, and I want to upgrade to the Sumsung Galaxy S3 so I can use the PayPal card reader to accept CCs. I have the HTC Thunderbolt right now and for some dumb reason it's not fully supported w/PayPal.

Oh, noted. We're looking to add a smartphone to our Verizon account so we can take CCs just for ACen, and it would suck to get one that doesn't work with the card reader.
---

#9 User is offline   Sapphy 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 11260

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

View PostSamusFairchild, on 19 February 2013 - 04:32 PM, said:

You may want to look into paypal. Their rates are a bit lower, depending on the size of transactions you're doing.

Thanks for the heads up! I got my Square reader after ACen last year (with the intent of using it this year), an I think that might have been before Paypal started offering theirs. If the fee is lower I'm definitely using Paypal since I use them already with my Etsy store. It's much easier to keep everything in one place. :)
Visit Happy Hatpire Designs on Etsy: http://hatpire.etsy.com
Use code NEWYEARS by January 10 to get 15% off! Min $15 order for discount~
Tumblr: http://hatpire.tumblr.com

#10 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

View PostSamusFairchild, on 19 February 2013 - 04:32 PM, said:

Oh, noted. We're looking to add a smartphone to our Verizon account so we can take CCs just for ACen, and it would suck to get one that doesn't work with the card reader.

You'll be fine if you choose to get an iPhone, but if you want an Android here is the list of accepted Android phones: https://www.paypal.c...patible-devices

My current phone meets those requirements in the bullet points, but it's not on the list so I can only use the App but not the card reader. That's why I'm going to upgrade to the Galaxy S3(it should go on sale when the S4 is released).

Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#11 User is offline   SamusFairchild 

• Pip

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:44 PM

View PostJujuFox, on 19 February 2013 - 04:47 PM, said:

You'll be fine if you choose to get an iPhone, but if you want an Android here is the list of accepted Android phones: https://www.paypal.c...patible-devices

My current phone meets those requirements in the bullet points, but it's not on the list so I can only use the App but not the card reader. That's why I'm going to upgrade to the Galaxy S3(it should go on sale when the S4 is released).

Ahhahahaha I am far too poor to have an iPhone XD

I had no idea they even had a list of phones posted. They guy at Verizon recommended the Droid Incredible, which I can find online for between $30 and $50, so good to know it's going to work :D
---

#12 User is offline   Lord Warhammer 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Member No.: 11892

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:14 PM

in order 1. Verizon 2. ATT 3. Sprint 4. Clear 5. Virgin

of those, if you have a sprint phone, you can probably turn your phone into a hotspot and have unlimited data.
Virgin mobile if you need to go the hotspot route, has unlimited data and no contracts.
Artist Alley Assistant Department Head!
myspace, facebook, youtube, and photobucket links are on my about me page.
ACEN cosplays.. time to plan plan plan.

I go to and staff many cons. Let's have a blast!

#13 User is offline   SamusFairchild 

• Pip

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:06 PM

View PostLord Warhammer, on 21 February 2013 - 11:14 PM, said:

in order 1. Verizon 2. ATT 3. Sprint 4. Clear 5. Virgin

of those, if you have a sprint phone, you can probably turn your phone into a hotspot and have unlimited data.
Virgin mobile if you need to go the hotspot route, has unlimited data and no contracts.

Ah, excellent! Thank you so much :D
---

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users