Anime Central Forums: Circle Lens? - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Circle Lens? Reputable places to get them.

#1 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 33629

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

So this will be my first time ordering any sort of lens from the internet (or anywhere?) and I've read all sorts of horror stories about getting infections, and companies that don't care about the possible damage to the eye their lenses can cause and I was just wondering if any of you have a go-to website that gives you good service and quality lens?
Also any tips on what I need to do before I order them would be nice. I've heard people talk about getting an eye exam so that you know the right diameter to order but the websites I've been to don't offer an option on diameter so should I even bother?
And how long I should keep them before replacing them?

Damn Thread's fearless leaderReluctant Member of the Little Maids CorpsUGUU~
ACen 2013 Cosplay: LOL whatever I manage to throw together at this point...-_-;;

#2 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 45794

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

I get my lenses from here: http://extremesfx.com/ I forget the name of the company that actually makes them, but they are the same as the vendor that was selling them at the con last year.

Read the info on their website for general FAQs about theatrical contacts:
http://extremesfx.co...-contacts-safe/

Above all, you have to get your eye exam, and provide your doctor's info to order on any reputable website even if you have 20/20 vision and want to buy 0.0 power contacts. The government requires this since they consider contacts a medical prosthesis. Check out the FDA's info about contacts: http://www.fda.gov/m...s/ucm062347.htm
Attending since 2005 ~ Artist Alley '06, '11, '12, '13, & '14

Cosplays 2014: Friday: Ness(female version) Saturday: Chell Sunday: Myself
Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

Check out my shop Geeky Cute Crochet on Etsy!

#3 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

Whoa, the violet on that site is intense. :Oc

ACen 2013 Cosplay: LOL whatever I manage to throw together at this point...-_-;;

#4 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

A side note about the colors, they are slightly transparent. So if you have light colored eyes the contact color will be really bright, but on darker colored eyes it won't be as intense. I have dark brown eyes, and I've only used red contacts which still showed up pretty well. They were darker looking though than the preview image on the site.

Cosplays 2013: Friday: Major Motoko Kusanagi(picture) Saturday: Chell(picture) Sunday: Ness(picture)

#5 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:58 PM

I have really light blue eyes, and I decided to go with Pinky Paradise. But I'm torn between two different sizes of two different lines.The trouble is that one has a picture of someone with light eyes wearing them so they really pop, and I love the color, but wish the diameter was bigger.But I love the size of the other lens but the girl wearing them has "dark brown/black" eyes, so I'm not sure how they'll look.
I'm assuming since I have blue eyes that any violet color is going to show up pretty well?

#6 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

Torn between these two:Bella Violet
and
Cloud Nine Violet
For this character:Bonney

#7 User is offline   Emre-chan 

• Bigfoot
  • Pip
  • Group: Bigfoot
  • Member No.: 19809

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:22 AM

I'm going to throw my 2 cents in~

First of all, have you been fitted by an actual eye doctor? Before even considering ordering online, GO TO THE EYE DOCTOR AND GET FITTED FOR CONTACTS. They will give you a very important number, called your base curve, which is how extreme the curve of your eye is. Circle lenses are made for 8.6 base curve, which is the most common base curve. If you are more than .1 over or .1 under, then even just putting the lenses in your eyes and blinking could cause cornea scratches. PLEASE find out your base curve first. You should also get the correct prescription number, because if it's too low or too high, your vision could get worse.

Secondly, circle lenses are advertised as having a lifespan of a year. Unless they are lenses you spent hundreds on, DIRECTLY through your eye doctor, you should not keep lenses for more than a month. Also, the more you insert and remove lenses, the more the edges 'fray', or because worse for your eyes because the shape gets warped.

*~*~*~CIRCLE LENS HORROR STORY~*~*~*
I always buy my lenses from Honeycolor. Always. Back in early summer, honeycolor did not have a pair of lenses I had been eyeing, but someone told me PinkyParadise did. I quickly ordered from them (which was $20 more expensive than honeycolor) and opened them as soon as I got them. They did not look at all like the picture. I was discouraged, but I spent a lot on them and wanted to wear them anyway. I wore them for a few hours, and before I knew it, my eyes where blood red and in extreme pain. I had horrible headaches and there was a painful pressure in the back of my eyes. I used eye drops for days, but my eyes did not get any better for a whole week. The eye doctor couldn't see me for an entire next week. I went in and the doctors where horrified. The lenses had scratched my corneas beyond repair. The pressure caused horrible damage to my optic nerve I believe they said, and they told me that any more and I would have gone blind. At this point I had already been wearing circle lenses comfortably for 3 years so I was shocked. I went home and threw out all of my lenses. I did not wear any lenses, even from the doctor, for months. I had to go on expensive eye drops to fix my eyes. If you have any other questions or want to know about safety precautions and care, you can PM me!
Cosplay Page
"How's your progress??"
ACen 2014: Mari (Evangelion), fem!Rei (Free!), fem!Jean (Shingeki), PJ Sasha (Shingeki), Morgiana (Magi)

#8 User is offline   JujuFox 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

Hmm so I learned something new. I thought the name "circle lenses" was like a different way of saying contact lenses. Kinda like how the Brits call things weird names; a boot is a car's trunk and a bonnet is the car's hood.

I would not go anywhere near these knowing what Emre-chan said. Stick with regular colored contacts. They make them in all the cool colors, and they are relatively safe.

Emre-chan echoed what I said before about the importance of an eye exam. Your vision is too precious to risk for a cosplay. GET AN EXAM FIRST!

#9 User is offline   kotomichi 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 61591

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

Going to throw my two cents in, so you don't get only bad news about circle lenses.

I used to be an RGP lens wearer but ended up losing one down the sink drain and only had a pair of circle lenses as a backup lens. I was really, really poor and could not afford to get new lenses, so I basically wore the circle lenses almost 10 hours a day and for about two months until I was financially able to get actual contact lenses prescribed by my eye doctor. My eyesight had not suffered and I was okay.

So, it's not all bad news. You do have to be extra careful, but circle lenses aren't necessarily bad for you, as long as you take care of them and yourself.
ACen 2013
Hunny Mitsukuni (Ouran), Toshiro Hitsugaya (Bleach), Conan Edogawa (Case Closed!), Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji), Haku Ha (Naruto), Edward Elric (Fullmetal Alchemist)

2013 Cons: Anime Milwaukee, C2E2, Anime Central, Anime Midwest, Wizard's World, Kollision Con

#10 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:09 PM

I am making an appointment with my family doctor this week to get a recommendation for an optometrist or see if he can do it. I needed to go in anyway and I have plenty of time to order before con.I appreciate you all taking the time to warn me, and yeah I noticed that they ONLY come in 8.6 base curve so that why I asked, I didn't know if seeing an eye doctor was pointless because you can only get one size. But I guess it makes sense because like you said if I happen to have an abnormal curvature there goes my perfect eyesight.
And about your horror story with PP: I did read that some people had trouble with them because of the water content (it's low, I guess?). I have pretty dry eyes (I use lubricating/redness reducing drops in the morning) so I may want to look into Honeycolor, if those have a higher water content. Then again a lot of people say they are comfortable as long as you lubricate them every 4 hours or so, so it could have been a freak accident. But yeah, their shipping prices are pretty nuts. I was like "Oh wow these are way cheaper than I thought they'd be!" and looked into how much shipping would be and then it was like no wonder.Yeesh.
Thanks you guys, I appreciate it. I could've googled it I'm sure, but I trust more personal responses from familiar folks, I guess haha.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users