Anime Central Forums: Is non-Japanese cosplay appropriate for ACen or other anime con? - Anime Central Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Is non-Japanese cosplay appropriate for ACen or other anime con?

#1 User is offline   Judas_Michael 

• Pip
  • Group: Newbie
  • Member No.: 61852

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

Cosplaying is "Costume + Role Playing" So in short I think the answer is yes, but I'd like to see some opinions.

What do you think about cosplaying someone not of a japanese nature [to ACen or any anime con]? Do you think it's okay or do you disapprove? Would you do it yourself? Discuss.

I guess the title should have been "Is non-Japanese cosplay appropriate for ACen or other anime conventions"

This post has been edited by Judas_Michael: 16 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

Cosplays:

Thief King Bakura -Season 5 Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters
Kaname Kuran- Vampire Knight
Beyond Birthday- Death Note, LABB Murder Cases
Sam Winchester - Supernatural
Kenny McCormick - Southpark
Mail Jeeves ((Matt)) - Death Note

#2 User is offline   Tiamat97 

• Mr. Insanity
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Sage
  • Member No.: 17897

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:39 PM

yes it is because if you go to any other kind of convention people will still dress up and they still call it cosplay.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1107...mp;id=586119408
My internship

Belongs in Damn Thread, if found please return to Kii
Spam Squad Member spam kill count:29 , Troll Hunter troll kill count: 1

#3 User is offline   Judas_Michael 

• Pip

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

I think it's fun. I do it myself, but whenever I attend an anime con, that's basically a Japanese based convention, I feel a little guilty dressing up as something that's not Japanese related. Like a video game character, or an anime character.
Cosplays:

#4 User is offline   MsLovelyCookie 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 57517

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

To me it would be considered cosplay since the person wearing the cosplay took the time to construct an outfit to look like the character or person of interest. Last minute Halloween costumes would not be cosplay since you can easily tell that the costume was put together at last minute. I have seen my share of crappy costumes while on the train Halloween weekend.
I'm Just A Girl In The World
Take A Good Look At Me
Just Your Typical Prototype...

Registration Staff: 2012-2014

#5 User is offline   Delta's Back! 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Group: Lurker
  • Member No.: 60919

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

While cosplay is popular in Japan, it has been around for centuries. As you have said, cosplay is short for costume-play which can be drawn onto a near endless world of theater, reenactments, cons, festivals, basic life, and major events.

Common sites would be:

Medieval Fair
Sacred Festivals (Halloween is one to many culture though its ideals have become commercialized)
Themed balls

Personally I would cosplay everyday if I could, but working on computers at University isn't the best place or it that and many of costumes require dry cleanings so that adds up, haha. Haha if I could I would have a closet of wigs, gowns, suites, and tool from countless genres. I have always wanted to wanted to walk down Chicago's loop streets and parks dressed and painted as broken doll, but Chicago weather is very unforgiving on make-up.

I think the real question is when does cosplay become a way of life instead of a hobby? That is fine line.
ACen 2012: Lady in Red (orginal), Helba (Dot Hack)
ACen 2013: Pierce villiers (Alice in the Kingdom of Hearts), Helba (Dot Hack)

#6 User is offline   Judas_Michael 

• Pip

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:04 PM

How do you guys feel about cosplaying a non-anime character to an "anime" convention
Cosplays:

#7 User is offline   rondo 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 9075

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:55 AM

View PostJudas_Michael, on 15 January 2013 - 10:04 PM, said:

How do you guys feel about cosplaying a non-anime character to an "anime" convention

I really don't care and it happens all the time.

#8 User is offline   Level-5 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular
  • Member No.: 62879

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

Doesn't matter! People cosplay video game characters as well as comic book characters at anime conventions all the time :D Or MLP. If someone tells you otherwise ignore them or say "Well video game characters are not from anime either and anime means cartoons so why not?"

You shouldn't feel ashamed for cosplaying something that isn't anime. Oh and the only thing that grinds my gears/pet peeve is people who buy stuff from walmart and/or Hot topic and compare it/on par to the person who worked three months on a cosplay.

Like they bought a white bathrobe as well as a party wig and they claim they are Index from To Aru and put down anyone else who thinks otherwise.

#9 User is offline   Santa Finland 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 59766

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:39 PM

The term cosplay was coined by a Japanese man but he did so while observing an American sci-fi convention. So really American works have more right to the term than anime.

No issue at all. I mostly cosplay anime but occasionally do other things and I've only attended anime cons. We as con-goers are allowed to like more than just anime.

This post has been edited by Santa Finland: 22 January 2013 - 05:41 PM

ACen 2015 Cosplays:
Haruka Nanase (Free! Iwatobi Swim Club) Chef
Aiichorou Nitori (Free! Iwatobi Swim Club) Maid
Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) Regular and Formal
Absol (Pokemon) Gijinka
Alois Trancy (Black Bulter) Red Riding Hood

#10 User is offline   Sailor Anime 

• Sempai
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Sempai
  • Member No.: 19583

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

View PostSanta Finland, on 22 January 2013 - 05:39 PM, said:

The term cosplay was coined by a Japanese man but he did so while observing an American sci-fi convention. So really American works have more right to the term than anime.

Haha, I was wondering when someone would point this out. ^^

#11 User is offline   Valkyrie 

• Exhibit Space ADH
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Assistant Department Head
  • Member No.: 3041

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

I'd love to see someone walk up to a big, burly man dressed as a very accurate and well-done Klingon who's very proud of his work, and tell him it's not cosplay because it's not Japanese.

Honestly, it doesn't matter what media, creator, or nation the character hails from. It's a costume, and you're playing a character. To say it's not cosplay because it's not Japanese is an elitist and (in my opinion) rude thing to say.
ACen 2009 - Merchandising Staff
ACen 2010 - IRT Operative
ACen 2011-2013 - IRT Dispatch
Callsign: Valkyrie
"There is only one god. And his name, is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"

#12 User is offline   gadgets 

• Has a Sweet Ride
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 19669

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

View PostValkyrie, on 23 January 2013 - 11:21 AM, said:

I'd love to see someone walk up to a big, burly man dressed as a very accurate and well-done Klingon who's very proud of his work, and tell him it's not cosplay because it's not Japanese.

Honestly, it doesn't matter what media, creator, or nation the character hails from. It's a costume, and you're playing a character. To say it's not cosplay because it's not Japanese is an elitist and (in my opinion) rude thing to say.

i agree with this
absinthe feels like a trail of fire going down

1 bottle of everclear
1bottle of becardi 151
2 bottles of absinth

Moto-Cosplay

and on another news.....My Bike is Paid off WoooHooo

#13 User is offline   kuro_ketsurui 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 4769

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:41 PM

NO!

but do it anyway
"If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?" -Scott Adams

Facebook

#14 User is offline   WatchJessieGo 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 63035

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

I've never had a problem with people cosplaying non-anime characters at anime conventions. The way I see it, you're there because you like anime and you get to meet other anime fans -- that doesn't mean you can only cosplay anime.
ACen 2015 cosplay:

Friday - Mayoi Hachikuji (Bakemonogatari)
Saturday 1st half - Nona (Death Parade)
Saturday 2nd half - Nagisa Momoe (Madoka Magica)

#15 User is offline   myrla 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Group: Ace
  • Member No.: 60134

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:08 PM

Speaking as someone who has exactly....... hm.......... one anime related cosplay out of the 12 I have currently, I don't have a problem with it.
ACen 2013: Panel denied. Not attending.

ACen 2012 Cosplay: Doctor Who: Tooth and Claw Rose (Friday) | Firefly: Inara (Saturday) | Lolita (Sunday)
Panelist: Final Fantasy MMORPG

ACen 2011 Cosplay:
Tooth and Claw Rose (Doctor Who) | Miwako (Paradise Kiss) | Luna Lovegood (Harry Potter)
Panelist: Final Fantasy MMORPG

#16 User is offline   Kii 

• Addict
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Addict
  • Member No.: 33629

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

I don't mind at all.
Personally I don't really consider lolita, steampunk, or cyberpunk to be "anime" or whatever, but plenty of people dress like that there and nobody gives them any guff. A good quarter of the vendors sell non-anime related merch like kilts(why?) and steam punk accessories and raver...stuff. It's not a big deal.

Damn Thread's fearless leaderReluctant Member of the Little Maids CorpsUGUU~
ACen 2013 Cosplay: LOL whatever I manage to throw together at this point...-_-;;

#17 User is offline   CrimsonAnime 

• Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Obsessed
  • Member No.: 18090

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

To be honest, at my first ACen (and therefore also my first con) I was surprised to see The Dr. walking around so much. I thought "that's not anime...not even animated. why is someone dressed up that way?" But then as I got further into the con scene I realized it doesn't really matter too much. The theme of the convention is Anime and therefore the cosplays and events cater to that but it is not necessary to be only an anime cosplayer at that con.
A-Cen 2015: Sailor Luna (PGSM) / Fish Mooney (Gotham TV Series) / Anthy (Revolutionary Girl Utena) / Fluttershy (My Little Pony: FIM)

(No Photos)A-cen 2014: Angewomon (Digimon) //// Sailor Luna (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) //// Hikaru (Angelic Layer)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2013: Pocahontas //// Raven (Teen Titans TV Series)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2011:Edward Elric //// Anthy (Rose Bride) //// Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Diva(Final Battle)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2010:Yoruichi(Shinigami Form) //// Saya (Vietnam/Crazy Form) //// Sailor Pluto //// Anthy (Rose Bride)
(PHOTOS)A-cen 2009:Diva(Final Battle) //// Sailor Pluto //// Edward Elric
The Official "Forum Kitten", A Rini Fangirl, TekoMuto fan

#18 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:40 PM

I think it depends on a few factors. For me myself I have no problem with it, but there are those that have an interesting view.

There are apparently two types (three if you count actors at parks) types of costume makers. The Cosplayer, the Costumer, and the Charplayer.

Cosplayers: As defined by some costume makers, usually is seen as a younger person who tends to act out the character more, thus the term Costume player.

Costumer on the other hand is: defined as someone who creates elaborate costumes and wears them. They don't normally go into character, they're just there to show off their handy work.

Charplayers are: usually hired by parks to play a character and buy their costumes rather then make them when they are at conventions.

I think it all depends on who you talk to. I've talked to Costumers who don't like the idea of being called cosplayers because they see it as too young. I've also seen Cosplayers who don't like being called costumers because they see costumers as not really being part of the cosplay scene. Then there are Character players who seem to just be like, hey I'm cool being called either. Most cosplayer/costumers/charaplayers seem to actually be okay with dressing up in whatever you want. I think the only time to worry is if you're going to a trek convention and you walk in dressed as Han solo.

To be honest Anyone that claims that you can't cosplay as you like at a convention then they really must be a grinch.

This post has been edited by Dark Spellmaster: 27 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#19 User is offline   Dex_Link 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 30007

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:17 PM

I know alot of people who have been going to ACen since year 1, and they swear they will never do a cosplay that the source material wasn't Japanese (alot of them claim that the first few years of ACen people would be turned away because of a non-Japanese cosplay, but I highly doubt that).
Personally, I don't care. A cosplay is a cosplay, no matter what the genre, the medium, or country of origin. As long as you're having fun with it, who cares?
2009 cosplay: Steampunk 2010 cosplay: Steve Fox, 'Tekken 6' 2011 cosplay: John Marston, 'Red Dead Redemption' 2012: DID NOT ATTEND
2013 cosplay: Team Rocket Luchador grunt, 'Pokemon'

2014 cosplay: Finn in Jake Suit, 'Adventure Time'
Possible 2015 cosplay: Dwalin, 'The Hobbit'; Link, 'LoZ'

#20 User is offline   Suka044 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 57259

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:47 AM

I've done Jareth a few times before and actually I'll be coming as Jareth this year with
A new outfit.

#21 User is offline   Dark Spellmaster 

• Sage
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 24895

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

View PostSuka044, on 27 February 2013 - 07:47 AM, said:

I've done Jareth a few times before and actually I'll be coming as Jareth this year with
A new outfit.

Could I please get a picture for a friend of mine. She's become a huge fan of the character.
~@~ Delightfully Playing: Prima-Vocaloid 0%, Mew-Two 80%, Muppeters -100% -2014 ~@~
~*@*~ 2013:The Riddler, Muppeters, Mew-Two 2012: The Riddler, Shadow Fairy 2011: Rinslet from Black Cat, Carmen Sandiego,Wanda from Fairly Odd Parents. 2010: Younger Walter, Carmen Sandiego. 2009: Goku from Saiyuki~*@*~

DEVIL MAY CRY SAGA PANEL 2013

Pardon the Pause is a Podcast that focuses on Geek culture:
Pardon the Pause

#22 User is offline   Suka044 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 57259

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:28 PM

View PostDark Spellmaster, on 27 February 2013 - 02:56 PM, said:

Could I please get a picture for a friend of mine. She's become a huge fan of the character.

Sure no problem! I'll be there all weekend as Jareth I don't believe I'll have anything else. Perhaps stuttgard loki but we'll see

#23 User is offline   Fantasia 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 63205

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:24 PM

I think it's totes ok! There are a lot of fantastic cosplays out there that are non-anime related, I cosplay non-anime characters myself.
I think as long as it's fun it's alright! I love seeing people from different fandoms interact and get along so well. I think that's the best part.
ACen COSPLAYS 2015:

OFFICIAL LINE-UP:
Friday: Taiga Aisaka, Toradora (100% done)
Saturday: Sugar, OFF by Mortis Ghost (90% done)
Sunday: Pink Lolita Coord (80% complete, will buy 20% at con)

#24 User is offline   Niroz51 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 61786

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:56 PM

I personally don't approve of not being something Japanese related, but to be completely honest, I don't let it ruin my day when I see it. I just sorta take a second to acknowledge it and groan to myself how it has nothing to do with Japan and then snap back into focusing on whatever I was doing. My friends and most people I've talked to feel/do the same.

The only time you'll really hear an outward fit from me though is should the programming begin shifting to cater to these random fandoms that have nothing to do with Japan affiliated interest - since that's what these conventions are meant to be geared towards and what I am coming/paying for.

- I do want to add though, that ACen and near most other conventions market themselves for anime and Japan pop culture. So for many who say game characters would have to not be allowed as well, it depends on the game. I also think things like Lolita and musician look-alikes are acceptable. If the origin of the character or costume is Japan based then I think it is acceptable. Though, like a said, I don't fuss too much since it would simply be a losing battle.

This post has been edited by Niroz51: 19 March 2013 - 06:03 PM

#25 User is offline   Dex_Link 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 30007

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:00 PM

View PostNiroz51, on 19 March 2013 - 05:56 PM, said:

The only time you'll really hear an outward fit from me though is should the programming begin shifting to cater to these random fandoms that have nothing to do with Japan affiliated interest - since that's what these conventions are meant to be geared towards and what I am coming/paying for.

You know, I feel the same way about this... Don't get me wrong, I screwing love 'Avatar: The Last Airbender', but does it belong at ACen, an anime/Japanese pop culture convention? No. I get it, its an anime-style cartoon, but an American one at that.
I agree though, that's the one thing that irks me.
2009 cosplay: Steampunk 2010 cosplay: Steve Fox, 'Tekken 6' 2011 cosplay: John Marston, 'Red Dead Redemption' 2012: DID NOT ATTEND
2013 cosplay: Team Rocket Luchador grunt, 'Pokemon'

2014 cosplay: Finn in Jake Suit, 'Adventure Time'
Possible 2015 cosplay: Dwalin, 'The Hobbit'; Link, 'LoZ'

#26 User is offline   Kamen Rider Gumo 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 63025

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:17 AM

I know for sure I'll be doing one cosplay, a Red Ribbon Army solider from DragonBall. But I have four other ideas for costumes; a Sith Lord from Star Wars OR a Rare Hunter or Orichalcos Duelist (do they even have a group name?) from Yu-Gi-Oh! (I will choose from one of these three, as the costume pieces I have in mind are nearly identical for them and would only necessitate a change of props), and the last is Dr. Insano, a mad scientist character created by Internet critic Noah "The Spoony One" Antwiler. Not all of them are Japanese, naturally, but they would still be a blast to cosplay (the Sith Lord in particular is fun; I did that for Tsubasacon last year).

It really doesn't bother me to see someone doing a non-Japanese cosplay at a convention because we're all there to have fun. It's not like someone sits down and says, "Okay - I'm going to spend thousands of dollars building this 100% movie-accurate Imperial Stormtrooper costume, pay to travel, stay in a hotel and buy a badge for this anime convention -just- to irritate people who think it should be anime costumes only." It's all in fun, and I rather like the diversity I see. But that's just my two cents.
Why did I choose a Red Ribbon soldier for my cosplay? Because I'm a little short for a Stormtrooper.

#27 User is offline   Niroz51 

• Lurker
  • Pip
  • Member No.: 61786

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:09 PM

Well certainly nobody does that, taking the viewpoint a bit to the extremes, guy. I just believe there's a time and place. I have marvel costumes and Supernatural apparel that I wear only to their respective conventions. Outside of my split-second acknowledgement of the out of place gear, I am of course just as friendly to them as I am to any con-goer. It is just I would never intermingle unrelated interests at a convention and while I kinda don't think others should, I've come to accept that they do and always will. Like I said, I'm not particularly aggressive with the point. Though if you were to ask me directly, like now, that's is how I would say I feel about the topic.

#28 User is offline   Agatha 

• Regular
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 61511

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:58 PM

I think 'inappropriate' is a bit of a strong word. Out of place, maybe, but to each their own.

For me, though I know that ACen is meant to be an anime/Japanese culture con, my idea of out-of-place vs. not tends to be based more on whether the source material is animated. Obviously, anime cosplays aren't out of place, a lot of video game characters do have designs that are anime styled, and I feel that something like Avatar/ponies/Adventure Time sort of fits in as well. They're not anime, but they are cartoons, so I can see how they're somewhat related to the topic at hand.

Something like a Ren Faire costume seems more out of place to me, but it doesn't bother me any - I'm not the costume police. If the person wearing it is having fun, why should it matter to me (or anyone) how they dress?

View PostNiroz51, on 19 March 2013 - 05:56 PM, said:

^ Pretty much this.

#29 User is offline   Fantasia 

• Ace
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 63205

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:10 PM

I say its ok.

Think of it like this:
In the modern world, the cosplay we know of today is or is often associated with a japanese origin.
ACen COSPLAYS 2015:

OFFICIAL LINE-UP:
Friday: Taiga Aisaka, Toradora (100% done)
Saturday: Sugar, OFF by Mortis Ghost (90% done)
Sunday: Pink Lolita Coord (80% complete, will buy 20% at con)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users